• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive for PC spotted on Amazon.fr

I doubt Insomniac's deal with MS is different to Capcom's and Crytek's. Publishing rights always revert back to the copyright owner after a time, anyway.

It's already different to Capcom's, as they're a publisher themselves and published the X1 version. It's likely similar to Ryse, but remember that Remedy had to ask for permission from MS to publish AW on Steam, so there's likely a similar caveat with SO too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's already different to Capcom's, as they're a publisher themselves and published the X1 version. It's likely similar to Ryse, but remember that Remedy had to ask for permission from MS to publish AW on Steam, so there's likely a similar caveat with SO too.

Microsoft published the X1 versions of both DR3 and Ryse. If Sunset were being entirely funded by MS, it'd own the game itself, but it doesn't. Alan Wake is a bit of a unique case as judging from the Copyright.gov listing for the novel it's co-owned by both Remedy and MS... plus the game released almost half a decade ago, which is to say that DR3 and Ryse are far more pertinent. Your underlying point is valid, though: we're not privy to the details of the deal, so there exists the possibility that they may be different to those that defined DR3 and Ryse. Personally, however, I don't think they are and Sunset will hit the PC at some point next year. Time will tell!

JaseC

I remember reading something like that actually. Sony didn't try buying overstrike nine though, I'm sure they would have let Insomniac keep the rights of they wanted too. Sony have secured some decent exclusives and not owned the IP.

Do you have any examples? I can't think of one that doesn't fall under the pub fund umbrella.

As much as I can see Sunset Overdrive coming to PC, I think it's pretty safe to say that this listing is a mistake at this point. Some of those listings are just silly.

Omega

Banned
Infamous is coming to PC aswell.

Killzone too.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00H5L8KRW/

bqrjSmI.png

they couldn't even give us better games

sony why u hate pc so much

Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Zestiria, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4, White Knight Chronicles, Trinity Souls, Bleach Soul Ressurction, Yakuza. There are loads of third party exclusives on PS3.

Those are all JPNS and wouldn't sell well on 360 anyway. Well many of them.

JaseC

Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Zestiria, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4, White Knight Chronicles, Trinity Souls, Bleach Soul Ressurction, Yakuza. There are loads of third party exclusives on PS3.

Ah, I thought you were referring to Sony-published titles in particular, not those exclusive to the platform in general.

Salex_

Most of those are exclusive because the audience is in Japan on PS3. WKC and Heavy Rain are Sony IPs. All of the Bleach PS3/PSP games were licensed and co-developed by Japan Studios and other studios.

I'm not sure what happened with MGS4. I think that game would probably be the one non-owned IP they secured an exclusive for in the PS3 generation (that I can think of).
Quantic owns the Heavy Rain IP; Sony owns the game itself. You are right about WKC, though. (I didn't look into Bleach since it's a licensed title.)

Ah, didn't know that.

JaseC

Most of those are exclusive because the audience is in Japan on PS3. WKC and Heavy Rain are Sony IPs. All of the Bleach PS3/PSP games were licensed and co-developed by Japan Studios and other studios.

I'm not sure what happened with MGS4.

Quantic owns the Heavy Rain IP; Sony owns the game itself. You are right about WKC, though. (I didn't look into Bleach since it's a licensed title.)

Would be great if Forza did come to the pc. Can't see it happening though.

If MS decides to test the waters I assume 5 would hit first since an internal PC port exists, at least to some extent.

Bessy67

Plus Insomniac and Sony used to hold a very close relationship. That being said, the important word there was used.
Pretty sure Insomniac and Sony are still fine. Insomniac is making a Ratchet and Clank game for PS4. They just wanted to make a new game and retain IP ownership, and MS was the publisher to make that happen.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Surely Forza Horizon 2 is a mistake.

But if true then why not Forza 5 as well? Remember the early videos of it looking amazing, i'd buy in an instant.

I doubt Insomniac's deal with MS is different to Capcom's and Crytek's. Publishing rights always revert back to the copyright owner after a time, anyway.
Assuming that's what happened with Mass Effect, should we assume its 5 years? In the case of Ryse, Microsoft put out the legendary edition around the same time the PC version came out, so I'd assume they still have the publishing rights for that as well.

Salex_

I didnt think that WKC was confirmed and I dont remember reading Sony acquiring the IP rights, that being said the top results on Google dont specifically say. That being said theyre still third party exclusives.

You'll see the trademark at the end of the trailers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IawCPdmmoM8

But yeah, they're 3rd party exclusives in the sense of being developed by a 3rd party developer. I see 3rd party exclusives as exclusive games Sony/MS/Nintendo don't own the rights to.

Anarkin

Amazon removed the link to SO. FH2 still exists but isn't available for pre-order anymore. And all the PS4 games showing up for PC. It was obviously a mistake, sorry.

JaseC

Assuming that's what happened with Mass Effect, should we assume its 5 years?

Could be 5, could be 10. ;)

In the case of Ryse, Microsoft put out the legendary edition around the same time the PC version came out, so I'd assume they still have the publishing rights for that as well.

Possibly, but even assuming MS still has publishing rights on the X1 and the concept of a game + DLC bundle wasn't something envisioned from the off, that doesn't change the fact that after less than a year Crytek was able to take the game elsewhere (it's self-published on the PC). Crytek recently said it's not against the idea of a PS4 release, so it most definitely has free reign.

Possibly, but even assuming MS still has publishing rights on the X1, that doesn't change the fact that after less than a year Crytek was able to take the game elsewhere (it's self-published on the PC). Crytek recently said it's not against the idea of a PS4 release, so it most definitely has free reign.
I could be wrong, but I took that interview to mean sequels of Ryse. The actual answer given referred to it as the franchise. What I think happened was Microsoft had first rights of refusal on a sequel, but disagreements over the IP caused them to drop it, which would allow Crytek to make a multiplat Ryse 2. Though to be honest I wouldn't have thought Crytek would be in any shape to make a sequel. I guess we'll see sooner or later.

JaseC

I could be wrong, but I took that interview to mean sequels of Ryse. The actual answer given referred to it as the franchise.

The source article makes it clear that the interviewer asked about the game and not the series. He just got a standard, PR jargon-laden answer.

Edit: I probably should have linked to the source article in the first place. ;)

Assuming that's what happened with Mass Effect, should we assume its 5 years? In the case of Ryse, Microsoft put out the legendary edition around the same time the PC version came out, so I'd assume they still have the publishing rights for that as well.

Mass Effect isn't really a good comparison at this moment, as EA bought Bioware after it came out, automatically gaining the rights to all their IP. If Sony were to buy Insomniac, then it's likely SO will hit Sony platforms. As it stands currently, MS likely have first refusal on any SO title.

Mass Effect isn't really a good comparison at this moment, as EA bought Bioware after it came out, automatically gaining the rights to all their IP. If Sony were to buy Insomniac, then it's likely SO will hit Sony platforms. As it stands currently, MS likely have first refusal on any SO title.
Oh I definitely agree with you. It's just ME1's publishing rights that remain a mystery. It must have expired or EA bought it out. I'd assume the former. Ironically enough, ME1 is still 360 exclusive (published by MS in 2009 well after EA bought BW) in Japan.

JaggedSac

Sumo Digital made the 360 version, not PG. Pretty sure they'd have charged MS enough to keep the lights on regardless of sales performance too.

I know about Sumo. You don't think Playground gets any of that? It's their game design and lots of assets. Sales from their game will help keep the doors open.

I know about Sumo. You don't think Playground gets any of that? It's their game design and lots of assets. Sales from their game will help keep the doors open.

I don't know, but I doubt it, as it isn't their IP. They also use car assets from Turn 10, so it isn't completely theirs. When the company I work for pays contractors, they get paid for their time, but anything they develop that brings in money, goes to the company, not the devs.

Drat, disappointed at SSO probably being a mistake.

Either that or in order to play it off as fake Amazon decided to do it with Sony games as well, to draw less attention to the original listing(after some contacting by MS)

*conspiracy theory hat*

JaggedSac

I don't know, but I doubt it, as it isn't their IP. They also use car assets from Turn 10, so it isn't completely theirs. When the company I work for pays contractors, they get paid for their time, but anything they develop that brings in money, goes to the company, not the devs.

If that is the case, Playground got a raw fuckin deal. Especially since they went to MS with the idea for Horizon.

If that is the case, Playground got a raw fuckin deal. Especially since they went to MS with the idea for Horizon.

Can't imagine it was a raw deal, you do the work, you get paid and continue to operate. I'm sure they've got performance related bonuses in there due to the nature of the business as well.

HIGHLY doubt these two games will be on PC

But I will happily eat crow bigtime if they do

I'm assuming all of Microsoft's new IP will get PC versions down the line, but it's a bit soon for confirmation of Sunset Overdrive PC. Ask again about March 2015.

Sunset Overdrive has a good chance of coming to PC (especially this news doubled with that poster leak a little while back), but I really doubt Forza will.

Kssio_Aug

I dont remember the last Amazon listing leak that really was something. And these wrong listing always happens... I dont know even why people take that as a valuable consideration.

Top Bottom