• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 Demo - September 11 @ 8:00 PM EST

LostDonkey

Crazy. I think these are the best graphics we've seen in a racer so far this "gen".

Apart from the pop in which hopefully the pc version can alleviate. It looks incredible.

Fixins

Banned
You have 11 posts on this account and this is what you find worthy of posting. lol

Yes let's judge posters by their post count.

Forza Horizon is my favorite game series since game one, but I don't see the hype on the graphics of this. Sure it looks nice but it's not THAT nice outside of Photo Mode. Just looks like Horizon 2 but with Bloom.

That said it plays excellently although it does the thing that annoys me that FH 2 did and thats let you start with a bunch of awesome great cars / trucks instead of letting you work towards them.

The music is very disjointed also, similiar to FH2. It should be capturing the feel of Austrailia, not trying to put over random indie bands. FH2 had this same problem also, where the onyl time you really felt immersed in Italy was if you had the classical channel on. But atleast this time you can use Groove Music.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yes let's judge posters by their post count.

Forza Horizon is my favorite game series since game one, but I don't see the hype on the graphics of this. Sure it looks nice but it's not THAT nice outside of Photo Mode. Just looks like Horizon 2 but with Bloom.

That said it plays excellently although it does the thing that annoys me that FH 2 did and thats let you start with a bunch of awesome great cars / trucks instead of letting you work towards them.
So Horizon 2 looks very washed out and full of aliasing as well?

SOR5

The music is very disjointed also, similiar to FH2. It should be capturing the feel of Austrailia, not trying to put over random indie bands. FH2 had this same problem also, where the onyl time you really felt immersed in Italy was if you had the classical channel on. But atleast this time you can use Groove Music.

I respect your opinion but I am not listening to hours of didgeridoo music and Kylie

Fixins

Banned
Forza Horizon 2 didn't have as many jaggies imho, but that could be due to not having as much pinophyta trees instead relying on palm trees so it could hide it better.

FH3 seems to use alot of the tricks GTAV uses for it's rendition of sunny LA, which looks really really good, but i've already seen those tricks and it's nothing new here. I'm not saying this game looks bad i'm saying it looks like Forza Horizon 2 but with bloom and blue skies instead of Purple.

The other complaint I have is the music mixing is messed up, but that might be due to it juts being a demo and having compressed music.

No complaints with the gameplay though, feels like Horizon, plays like Horizon and handles like Horizon.

piggychan

Yin
l2sp9Wv.gif

Yang
5mGzWRK.gif

terrible

Banned
FH2 has better IQ but FH3 has so much more environmental detail and in motion you don't really catch the sharp edges much anyway.

Fixins

Banned
FH2 has better IQ but FH3 has so much more environmental detail and in motion you don't really catch the sharp edges much anyway.

This but I think it's really noticeable in the Rainforest.

But that said it just makes me more excited for the PC version because then we can see it running with full AA at all times removing the IQ, pop in and Aliasing issues. If you guys think it looks impressive in those shrunk down 800 x 600 gifs just wait till it's like that at a real resolution!!!

strata8

Forza Horizon 2 didn't have as many jaggies imho, but that could be due to not having as much pinophyta trees instead relying on palm trees so it could hide it better.

FH3 seems to use alot of the tricks GTAV uses for it's rendition of sunny LA, which looks really really good, but i've already seen those tricks and it's nothing new here. I'm not saying this game looks bad i'm saying it looks like Forza Horizon 2 but with bloom and blue skies instead of Purple.

The other complaint I have is the music mixing is messed up, but that might be due to it juts being a demo and having compressed music.

No complaints with the gameplay though, feels like Horizon, plays like Horizon and handles like Horizon.

I think you're remembering Forza Horizon 2 with rose-tinted glasses. It had it's moments (ie, full sunlight, night in the city) but overall FH3 has so much more depth and complexity.

EiUgPwZ.jpg

sMmpzML.jpg

Don't let photomode fool you, game doesn't look THAT good. Very washed out, full of aliasing. But fun.
As all games with day/night cycles and environmental variety, it depends. Often enough it looks flat out amazing, and other times a little washed out or noisy.

Fixins

Banned
Yeah i'm willing to put it up to that for sure, time of day, just seemed weird to read everyone go "Woah!" and then I turn it on and go "Just looks like Horizon to me"

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgKN_GyUl72shy_f3xZY5BpLeWka

That's what it looks like to me, compressed obviously, but all the trees look that way, lots of flickering etc. Maybe it's my Xbone going :shrug:

Fun though, play it guys!!!

Goodness...that is so good. As a photographer, that looks like many of my summer evenings at the coast.

They have really nailed the clouds/skies more than any game I've ever seen. They correctly have the light shining on the clouds after sunset/before sunrise like you see in real life.

One thing I noticed was that everything reacts to everything. Ferns and plants flap and react to cars going by or through them.

In this shot I took you can see the helicopter blowing ripples across the water and it even knocks a banner down.

SecondGiddyEastrussiancoursinghounds.gif

Holy...Loving the attention to detail here. Many little things like that really help immersion.

shandy706

One thing I noticed was that everything reacts to everything. Ferns and plants flap and react to cars going by or through them.

In this shot I took you can see the helicopter blowing ripples across the water and it even knocks a banner down.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Damn.

RoKKeR

Holy fuck.

They need to let the drones fly that high!

Man, FH2 was so good.

I have to revisit FH2 now to listen to the sounds again. In the video it sounds like 2 has a deeper tone than 3 but while I was playing the demo I felt it was the opposite. Perhaps it's the view. Maybe they only improved the cockpit sounds as I primarily play from that POV.

Still, I definitely think the overall sound effects are improved. The impact from landing and contact sounds with other vehicles are way better for certain.

Klocker

This game drives so buttery smooth... I know we should appreciate a more realistic model but man this is in such a sweeet spot of control and excitement of losing it... incredible improvement

One thing I've noticed that FH3 has improved was that in some spots FH2 was *too* vivid. I remember there were a lot of spots in FH2 where the shadows would be completely black and almost nothing in them was visible. It was especially noticeable when you exited those freeway tunnels, it was like driving onto a missing texture. FH3 looks to have much better shadows and colouring.

Kaji AF16

Forza Horizon continues to evolve, even after the strong first installment and the already classic FH2. The FH3 demo feels great and there´s a noticeable improvement, specially in one of the few relatively weak areas of the saga ("realistic" lightning).

I love Halo -and I liked 343´s efforts a lot-, but I think that Forza has become the premier Microsoft franchise... and one of the strongest gaming franchises of all time. Nine games already, and all of them are top-tier (the weakest, FM5, is still very good).

Ultimate version, day one (or day minus-4?).

ViciousDS

Banned
This game drives so buttery smooth... I know we should appreciate a more realistic model but man this is in such a sweeet spot of control and excitement of losing it... incredible improvement

Playground has pretty much perfected the art of arcade and sim combined feel. Even playing the original forza horizon felt fucking great. Cars all drove great and all had that feel of uniqueness to each car.

Totally grabbing the ultimate edition digital now.

I think it was sold out in best buys website! Like holy shit I've never seen that before!

terrible

Banned
nohud1c3xoy.gif

It's going to be tempting to go without a HUD from now on. It looks incredible.

The only problem is I suck at judging distances.

GPS: "turn left in 400 meters"
*takes first left onto dirt road*
GPS: "turn around when it's safe to do so"

Oops.

Kolgar

Holy amazeballs!

This game is a glorious gobsmacker by any standards. Especially when you consider it is an open-world game.

Going to be a showpiece on both X1 and PC and I hope it sells like gangbusters.

VRMN

Where is the GAF forza group on the Xbox at? I just got into the preview program

Just search for ForzaGAF in the clubs interface. The founder said they wanted a PM or Xbox message confirming you're on GAF, but I actually can't remember who that is. (Funny just because I have an invite request pending but haven't been confirmed likely for that reason.)

terrible

Banned
Just search for ForzaGAF in the clubs interface. The founder said they wanted a PM or Xbox message confirming you're on GAF, but I actually can't remember who that is. (Funny just because I have an invite request pending but haven't been confirmed likely for that reason.)

Here you go

If anyone wants to join the "ForzaGAF" club and are currently in the preview program, the update should be available now. It's a private community (I want to keep it relatively locked down to just GAF members) but it should be a great way to make friends, create parties, and find people to play with in MP lobbies for Forza games on XB1. I need some way to verify that you are a Neogaf member if you do request an invitation, so keep that in mind. PMing me your GT on here or having it linked to your GAF profile is an easy way for me to verify that. Shooting me a message on XBL with your GAF profile name should work too.

Noobcraft

Where is the GAF forza group on the Xbox at? I just got into the preview program
Search ForzaGAF. Request an invite to the club then PM me your Gamertag here on Gaf so I know who to let in. There are like 27 other people who sent requests to join but haven't PMed me or Zorbsie to verify that they're on Gaf.

golem

Thats.. just wow

While the demo is great i dont like that they still have done nothing to help you navigate the "track" aside from glancing at the mini map constantly or turning on the racing line (which I REALLY don't want to do). It seems even more problematic here than in fh2 as some of these environments you can't see shit. Crashing through a rainforest on and off the path I often have no clue where I'm going and glancing at the mini map can easily lead to fuck ups. I suppose rewind could help with my frustration but that's another thing I don't feel I should have to rely on as a racing game vet.

This was a real problem for me with all open world racers. I found that turning on just the braking line (as opposed to the full racing line) was enough to indicate turns without feeling like I had training wheels on. If you haven't already, give it a shot as it took the game from unplayable to exquisite for me.

Top Bottom