• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 - Review thread

eso76

The car selection criticism paragraph because it seems nobody who quoted me has yet to actually read the review:

He's wrong.
A) Slow cars are the most fun to drive for me*
B) One of the points of the game is buying shitty cars and turning them into racing monsters
C) the game has probably still more "racing beasts" than any other, AND then vans, family cars etc.
So no, it's not a valid complaint at all when one of the best things about Forza was always the inclusion of vehicles of any class, era and form factor.

*You know what a valid complaint could be ?
They didn't give you the right tracks to drive them on. In Forza 3/4 you got a few mini circuits that were perfect for stock fiat 500 and fiesta's, but those are gone. I sure don't want to drive an Isetta on Le Mans.

GHG

To be fair, claiming the Vulcan is missing is pretty dumb when it's right there in the game.

I agree but it's been clear from the moment they revealed the car list that certain high profile cars that have been available for testing by the press for a while now are being held back for DLC.

bombshell

He's wrong.
A) Slow cars are the most fun to drive for me*
B) One of the points of the game is buying shitty cars and turning them into racing monsters
C) the game has probably still more "racing beasts" than any other, AND then vans, family cars etc.

He's wrong about what he personally wants in a racing game? Ok...

About your point C, what does that matter when the chase to have a high car count has meant that the physics has gone to arcade shit that should be exclusive to the Horizon games? That is why he in the review brings up that GT Sport is reducing the car count to be able to focus more on each individual car and how he would have liked Forza 7 to do the same.

About your point C, what does that matter when the chase to have a high car count has meant that the physics has gone to arcade shit that should be exclusive to the Horizon games? That is why he in the review brings up that GT Sport is reducing the car count to be able to focus more on each individual car and how he would have liked Forza 7 to do the same.

Arcade shit? Get out of here mate.
Must be like mana from heaven for you when a review gives you an excuse to shoehorn GT Sport into the conversation.

eso76

He's writing a review, so what he personally wants in his racing games shouldn't really matter much
I get that he misses his calsonic Nissan and actually yes, it would have been nice to have but this is still the most comprehensive range of vehicles in a racing game ever, so the fact that it's missing the cars he personally wants is irrelevant in a review, if the game is true to its legacy. And in terms of cars it is.

To clarify, I am also not particularly fond of the direction the series has taken, especially in that the variety offered with the car selection isn't matched by variety of tracks.
I felt that with 3 and 4 it peaked in terms of what I wanted my racer to be, with closed circuits, P2P, a good mix of real and fantasy tracks... Then a lot of things went to Horizon and Motorsport lost a lot of its personality for me.

I won't comment on physics gone to arcade shit because I have only played the demo (with a keyboard!) so if the game really took a step back that's unfortunate and inexcusable, exactly because with all the 'less serious aspects' gone to Horizon you'd expect Motorsport to become more hardcore if anything.

Theorry

Eurogamer. Early impression.

It might not have the feature set of something like Project Cars 2 (that weather, while improved from what was featured in Forza 6, doesn't allow for truly dynamic around the clock races, unfortunately). It might not have the hard edges of more sim-based material like Assetto Corsa and iRacing on the PC market of which it's now a part. But, as ever, this is the driving game for everyone, and when it comes to approachability, consistency and polish, nothing else comes close

bombshell

Arcade shit? Get out of here mate.
Must be like mana from heaven for you when a review gives you an excuse to shoehorn GT Sport into the conversation.

I'm fairly sure that I've read more racing reviews by that particular reviewer than you have. So I trust him when he writes this about the physics of Forza 7:
As far as the car physics go - this game is simpler and less of a simulator than ever before in the franchise.
In fact, it sometimes feels like an arcade racer even when turning off all the assists and driving aids.

I've shat enough on GT5 and GT6 so you'd be wrong if you think I'm just a blind GT fanboy. I agree with Petter that the car count of a racing game is not something that can be used as a quality sign. The finite time available for the development team to work on each individual car is a simple reason why.

Edit: ^^ Theorry, I posted 2 reviews on the previous page.

Fredrik

He's writing a review, so what he personally wants in his racing games shouldn't really matter much
Is it even possible to write a review of a game without rating it after your personal preferences? Isn't it just a well-written (sometimes) personal opinion? I mean the things you love about a game always end up pushing the score up and the things you don't like or features you miss always end up dragging the score down. I don't see how it could be any other way. I miss some stuff too in FM7 but right now I'd still give it a 9/10 just because what's there is mostly what I wanted and is so incredibly well done.

eso76

Is it even possible to write a review of a game without rating it after your personal preferences? .

To an extent it certainly is and it is what separates reviews from the opinion someone posted on a forum.
The game has 700+ cars. Sucks the C4 got axed aftet FM4 and was never reintroduced, but I realise that's minor for a lot of people and the game went out of its way to offer the most diverse lineup of cars otherwise, so while it might be a good enough reason for me to skip or hate the game, I couldn't list that among the negatives in a review.

I said before that I personally have a problem with GT Sport only/mostly offering race cars because I prefer the slower city and street cars (provided I'm given the right tracks). But I would never say the game is bad because of it.

The choice of cars in FM7 is indeed a bit weird in that many recent supercars were strangely omitted, and I'd like to know what cars are completely new to the series. But claiming nobody wants vans and sedans is presumptuous and wrong.

Fredrik

To an extent it certainly is and it is what separates reviews from the opinion someone posted on a forum.
The game has 700+ cars. Sucks the C4 got axed aftet FM4 and was never reintroduced, but I realise that's minor for a lot of people and the game went out of its way to offer the most diverse lineup of cars otherwise, so while it might be a good enough reason for me to skip or hate the game, I couldn't list that among the negatives in a review.

I said before that I personally have a problem with GT Sport only/mostly offering race cars because I prefer the slower city and street cars (provided I'm given the right tracks). But I would never say the game is bad because of it.

The choice of cars in FM7 is indeed a bit weird in that many recent supercars were strangely omitted, and I'd like to know what cars are completely new to the series. But claiming nobody wants vans and sedans is presumptuous and wrong.
I get what you're saying but I still don't think there is anything wrong to rate a game from your personal perspective. That's how I would do it too. And Petter still think the game is great, he just doesn't think it's perfect from his perspective. Fully valid opinion as far as I'm concerned even though I'd easily rate this 9/10 myself.

Qassim

What is defined as dynamic weather? The weather changing during a race? If so - then it's not exclusive to XBX1 - it has been happening to me on PC. Happening during the race I'm in now (from late evening overcast and dry, to a thunderstorm a lap or two into the race).

eso76

And Petter still think the game is great, he just doesn't think it's perfect from his perspective.

Well if it doesn't have an impact on how he rates the game as a whole then of course he should point that out, nothing wrong.

ethomaz

Banned
What is defined as dynamic weather? The weather changing during a race? If so - then it's not exclusive to XBX1 - it has been happening to me on PC. Happening during the race I'm in now (from late evening overcast and dry, to a thunderstorm a lap or two into the race).
Dynamic Wather changes (or not) based in simulations done by the game... each new race can be different because these simulations give you a different weather each time... there are different and uniques weathers during a race (or not... the weather can stay the same all the race).

You can’t confuse it with only weather changes because it can be backed... you start a race and it will rain in the middle and back to sun at the end already defined like a preset for the race... a race can have a lot of presets predefined but that not make it dynamic... that is backed weather.

EG is saying there is no truly dynamic weather like pCARs 2... I’m confuse what that mean because MS announced dynamic weather but it can be exclusive to XB1X and PC.

I think we can say that Forza consolidates itself as the best driving franchise, this Motorsport entry sounds great and Horizon 3 is hands down the best racing game this gen.

ethomaz

Banned
I think we can say that Forza consolidates itself as the best driving franchise, this Motorsport entry sounds great and Horizon 3 is hands down the best racing game this gen.
That is something I get confused by some comments because these that like FH3 as the best racing game probably won’t like Forza 7.

These two games are completely different focus from each other.

Forza 7 is made for racing sim fans and not FH3’s fans.

You can love both... Yeap you can but most guys will love one and not the other.

Edit - I missed the point of your comment... my bad.

gamz

That is something I get confused by some comments because these that like FH3 as the best racing game probably won’t like Forza 7.

These two games are completely different focus from each other.

Forza 7 is made for racing sim fans and not FH3’s fans.

You can love both... Yeap you can but most guys will love one and not the other.

That wasn't his point. He's just saying as a franchise it's great. It offers the best of both worlds.

Qassim

Dynamic Wather changes (or not) based in simulations done by the game... each new race can be different because these simulations give you a different weather each time... there are different and uniques weathers during a race (or not... the weather can stay the same all the race).

You can't confuse it with only weather changes because it can be backed... you start a race and it will rain in the middle and back to sun at the end already defined like a preset for the race... a race can have a lot of presets predefined but that not make it dynamic... that is backed weather.

EG is saying there is no truly dynamic weather like pCARs 2... I'm confuse what that mean because MS announced dynamic weather but it can be exclusive to XB1X and PC.

Ah right, then yeah - I don't think Forza 7 does have dynamic weather in that regard. The weather changes I've seen so far have all happened at predetermined times, I'm pretty sure (e.g. if I restart a race, which I'll often do, it'll start raining at roughly the same time). This is on PC.

But I may be missing something, I dunno.

I think it's a legit complaint. Who wants to drive slow ass cars in a racing game?

There is a reason why B and A class was the most popular to race online with in forza 1 and 2, those classes had the best mix of vehicles that could be tuned to race from stock, it was also a good pace to race at without bee-lining it at 250mph down the start straight and then crash, like many do online.

Maybe too many vans and limos is a bit silly but they should be there for the choice, I get the most fun out of racing games like forza and gt when I can buy a 25k car in D class and bring it up to racing spec with my own tuning and balance.

Also, what doesn't help matters is the last two forza games hand out big payments from its lotto system really easily, it ruined most of forza 6 for me.

supersaw

I've always found the handling in the lower classes more faithful.

Also one think that irks me a bit is ideally we would want to have the cockpit controls over the different tunes from within the cockpit of the hypercars since you can adjust their setups from their onboard computers in real life. I think project cars has a mode where it replicates the real-life assists and then another layer of game assists on top of that.

thelastword

Banned
Knack 2 8? ROTFL
So Super Mario Odyssey should get 20 out of 10 if Knack 2 gets 8
What is this even about, did you play Knack 2 yet? and even if you did, why would someone's opinion of a game be a laughing matter at convenience...It's the reviewer's opinion that Knack is an 8 and Forza is a 7. If he gave Knack an 8 and Mario a 5, it's still his opinion.... There's something gravely wrong with people not respecting people's opinions, what that does is it raises your bias....I'm sure if he gave this game a 10, he would be the greatest reviewer ever...

So maybe Turn 10 should stop using the word "simulation":

"Turn 10 is a subdivision of Microsoft Studios, established in 2001 as a first-party racing game developer. Turn 10 Studios began working on the original Forza Motorsport to fill the void of simulation racing games on the Xbox console."

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/turn10
I didn't even bother with people saying Forza was never seen as a sim, it's just straight disingenuos and I would'nt even entertain that conversation as needing much redress...I still gave a 2017 link listing the best upcoming sims of 2017, where Forza made the list from a GTplanet article.

Anybody who says Forza was never seen/marketed as a sim is straight up lying.

Yes, of course the bias card is drawn immediately, without any research.

What's he biased towards?
Of course anybody who disagrees with absolute praise for Forza is seen as a troll, so I guess now this review is biased and is a troll because he pointed out what are some glowing issues with the franchise leading up to 7.

He's wrong.
No, his opinion from putting the game through it's paces is not wrong, it's his opinion, his take on it. Perhaps if he was your clone, it would be more attuned to yours because it's obvious you have a different take and would be willing to forgive more issues than he would, as it stands though, It's really better that he is giving his opinion of things rather than a fabricated one to cater to his readers or a demographic. The only thing that makes reviews genuine is that they;

1: play the game
2: give their opinion

There's no indication that this reviewer is biased either, he has given GT 5's and 7" and has given Forza 8's and 9's. I'm pretty sure when he gave GT6 that 5, people used that to justify that GT is going down the tubes and Forza is the it franchise....This is how these things go.

You can't confuse it with only weather changes because it can be backed... you start a race and it will rain in the middle and back to sun at the end already defined like a preset for the race... a race can have a lot of presets predefined but that not make it dynamic... that is backed weather.

EG is saying there is no truly dynamic weather like pCARs 2... I'm confuse what that mean because MS announced dynamic weather but it can be exclusive to XB1X and PC.
The thing about announcements is that you have to analyze their authenticity in the final release, and I guess that's why reviews/analyses exist.....

I too thought the weather would be more impressive, but it's not. I was a bit wary after F6 Apex, when they spoke up their hydroplaning feature only when actually playing to realize it was not a proper 3D effect and physics wise did not always feel correct.

Just based on the way tracks get wet and how weather is propagated in F7 says that other racers have more accomplished weather systems in place...

I have very mixed feeling about the game so far. Visuals are all over the place. CrowbCat could make one of his videos comparing FM7 to previous Forza games on the 360 and everyone would have a good laugh. Even at high speeds these 2D trees in Maple Valley look atrocious. I also think colors in that track, as well as some others, are too muted and dull.

Some people previously mentioned that some visual sacrifice had to be made because of 4K 60FPS target for the XBX and it makes sense. I really think that's what happened here.

And then there is the whole situation with microtransactions and VIP.
Well of course....You want weather, you want 4k, you want 1080p on XB1 with certain features at 60fps, some compromises will have to be made. We're talking lower polycount on certain details, worse looking foliage, from F5 etc.. etc..

Now, I've been looking at F6 vs F7...and T10 did try something with the lighting aesthetics. F7 can have more subdued colors, but then reflections pop up a bit more in F6 as a result...It does help F7 a bit on certain tracks where it looks a bit more realistic, maybe it's the HDR effect, but as i said, they're mostly aesthetic....

Fredrik

What is this even about, did you play Knack 2 yet? and even if you did, why would someone's opinion of a game be a laughing matter at convenience...It's the reviewer's opinion that Knack is an 8 and Forza is a 7. If he gave Knack an 8 and Mario a 5, it's still his opinion.... There's something gravely wrong with people not respecting people's opinions, what that does is it raises your bias....I'm sure if he gave this game a 10, he would be the greatest reviewer ever...

No, his opinion from putting the game through it's paces is not wrong, it's his opinion, his take on it. Perhaps if he was your clone, it would be more attuned to yours because it's obvious you have a different take and would be willing to forgive more issues than he would, as it stands though, It's really better that he is giving his opinion of things rather than a fabricated one to cater to his readers or a demographic. The only thing that makes reviews genuine is that they;

1: play the game
2: give their opinion

There's no indication that this reviewer is biased either, he has given GT 5's and 7" and has given Forza 8's and 9's. I'm pretty sure when he gave GT6 that 5, people used that to justify that GT is going down the tubes and Forza is the it franchise....This is how these things go.
I think this is the first time I agree with you on something. I don't agree with his score but it's his opinion and it's not more wrong than mine or any other person's opinion. People need to chill down a bit. Also, a 7 from Petter isn't as bad as it seems, he's not easy to please and he's known for dragging down the score when he's displeased about something, doesn't mean the game is crap, it just means that he's not fully satisfied with the game at it's current state. DLC cars could fix the "car problem" too so maybe he'll return to it after the Xbox One X launch and rescore it, who knows.

I too thought the weather would be more impressive, but it's not. I was a bit wary after F6 Apex, when they spoke up their hydroplaning feature only when actually playing to realize it was not a proper 3D effect and physics wise did not always feel correct.

Just based on the way tracks get wet and how weather is propagated in F7 says that other racers have more accomplished weather systems in place...
It might not be perfect but the way the weather actually affect the driving on spots of the track rather than the whole track is the best thing that has happened to the racing genre. I love it, doesn't translate all that well to a controller but with a steering wheel it's awesome. Wouldn't trade it away for better looking weather even if it meant going down to 720p.

I prefer Forza 7's lighting over Forza 6.

I tried to match them up the best I could but yea:

Forza 6 Apex:
37382724232_3d39bbb6de_o.png

Forza 7:
37366155146_368ac5bd1a_o.png

Forza 7 definitely appears more subdued and has a better sense of depth from what I can tell.

Betty

Banned
Great Metacritic right now, probably going to be the highest scoring racing game this year along with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Stygr

Banned

Yes i played it and it's garbage, i can laugh to opinions that i disagree with.
No if he gave 10 this will not be the greatest review ever, game critics are trash and i said it a couple of times here in NEOGAF

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just take the L and move on.

So wait, is this bait as well? Guy sounds sincere in his follow up post.
But thanks for being the arbiter of a discussion that did not concern you.

Interesting- did his post or this thread as a matter of fact concern you?

I have no idea why i'm roped into this childish shit for stating a simple clarification.
I'll gladly 'take the L' if it means you're satisfied. Even though the follow up post kinda shows it's not bait.

Synth

It's not going to be. The review is of the PC version and points were solely deducted for severe PC performance problems. It's on the PC version metacritic already.

ah, forgot the PC version will introduce a platform split.

Still though, if FM7 outscores (or even matches) FH3, I'll eat a pizza with pineapple on it. Just can't see it being a realistic possibility.

Top Bottom