• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 - Review thread

Fredrik

Nice! 9.5
Pretty much my thought too at this point, I'm not even bothered by the loot system, I'm having way too much fun to just race and upgrade my cars. Didn't think I would like it nearly this much. I just wish it had more old classics and Saabs. My favorite car so far is the Volvo Amazon, upgraded to max. The VW Beetle is crazy fun too when maxed out. :)

Gestault

92 on Metacritic

Not bad, still haven't played it yet...I wish I didn't have to adults much.

I used up almost all my "adult time" playing Cuphead and some Ruiner this past week. I'm deciding how much sleep I'm planning to give up tomorrow for Forza.

GHG

I used up almost all my "adult time" playing Cuphead and some Ruiner this past week. I'm deciding how much sleep I'm planning to give up tomorrow for Forza.

I have a work project to finish off which I might do an all nigher for tonight, have a nap then I'll be able to sit down and dig into this for a good few hours tomorrow.

I only have a passing familiarity with him, but Kevin O'Connell is a solid reviewer. His Project Cars 2 review did a good job of balancing frustrations with the bugs with his awareness of the dev's ongoing patching efforts. He LOVED Dirt 4. He lives with a physical disability, which is part of why he's so into the sim-style games. He's an old-school Mechwarrior fan to boot, which is always a plus in my book.

The fact he thinks this is more realistic than AC or PCARS makes him lose his credibility. I've also only heard bad things about DiRT 4.

Gestault

The fact he thinks this is more realistic than AC or PCARS makes him lose his credibility. I've also only heard bad things about DiRT 4.

If you've heard nothing but bad things about Dirt 4, that means you haven't played it and probably need a broader circle of influence.

Gestault

Dirt Rally is the great game, Dirt 4 is poor in comparison.

That, or they played the much better Dirt Rally.

I get what you're saying, but I never said a word about it being better than Dirt Rally. From some playtime myself and even just looking at review consensus, Dirt 4 was solid. Reviews were overwhelmingly "in the green" out of 40+ takes.

If secondhand impressions of a game tracking in the 80s by metascore is "nothing but bad things," I'm serious that it's a weirdly slanted viewpoint.

I get what you're saying, but I never said a word about it being better than Dirt Rally. From some playtime myself and even just looking at review consensus, Dirt 4 was solid. Reviews were overwhelmingly "in the green" out of 40+ takes.

If secondhand impressions of a game tracking in the 80s by metascore is "nothing but bad things," I'm serious that it's a weirdly slanted viewpoint.

I've played and loved DiRT Rally. I trust the opinions of certain people here on GAF and gtplanet and they were all disappointed.

borges

Banned
"It’s taken 12 years and seven attempts, but Forza Motorsport has now firmly set the bar by which all other racing games will be judged. As well as creating a graphical showcase for not just the forthcoming Xbox One X but the standard Xbox One itself, Turn 10 Studios has also produced a game that rights the few wrongs of the last game and truly focuses on the player experience. The result is supreme.""

Seems GamesRadar's fell in love with the game.

Colbert

Banned
Just completed 6 races. This game looks and plays amazing. I am impressed even on my One S. I cannot even imagine how much better the game will look on the Xbox One X.

Counting days now!

TheRed

Game is fun and pretty but I feel these reviews are way overpraising it. The AI is just really bad I barely feel like it's really racing.
Wheel support is terrible from my experience.
Plus been crashing out of nowhere sometimes on PC.

I'm very lucky, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's been smooth sailing for me since I got it on Friday.

Which is actually extremely surprising to me because I'm on the very latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build.

Klocker

Regarding the difficulty and racing.

I don't know, I have been playing this game all weekend and it seems like on the short races I was pretty much beating everyone. I am playing on above-average aggression limit turned OFF and long races which is about 7 to 10 laps.

I have found for some reason, I don't know if it's the distance or the aggression, but I have really had to work to even be in the last five or six races. I don't think I would play a few races and decide that this difficulty and AI is the same as past for as. it definitely seems improved to me.

F6 to me was one of the worst, you either had one car way out in front that you could never catch or you would go past the field and be gone for the rest of the race.

What I'm seeing here, my last race as an example is I got past places 9 and 8 and was working hard to try to catch up to 6 but eight and nine stayed with me for about 3 laps straight, passing each other, passing me, cutting me off on the corners and fighting me until I calmed down and tightened up my lines and slowly pulled away from them over the next couple of laps. finally catching up to the front group on the last lap and still was never able to pass them.

So I think we won't know until we've played a while and it really depends on each person's difficulty level and tuning of their car of course but I am finding it challenging. More challenging than the past and more fun.

Gestault

I accidently posted this in the OT :s

Car and Driver: "Forza Motorsport 7 Is the Best Console Racing Game We’ve Played"

The intricacies, detail, and (eventual) imperfections of the on-screen vehicles capture the glamour and grit of motorsports as no title has done before. Flecks of tire rubber accumulated on the front splitter of our car throughout a night race at Daytona. After five laps of the new Dubai Circuit of the Emirates, a 1945 Jeep Willys MB we chose for the task ended up with a near photorealistic layer of desert sand on its windshield, including portions that stayed put just outside the arc of its wiper blade. ... As impressive as FM7 is as a technical exercise and simulator, it remains a game at heart—and a fun one at that. The new Forza Driver’s Cup career mode encourages stepping out of your vehicular comfort zone by competing in everything from prewar cars to 1000-hp racing semi trucks.

leeh

God damn. Turned on my Xbox this evening after work and it ran out of disk space to download it. Now I have to download the full 70 odd GB now :(

My review (in Chinese of course), 8/10

I thoroughly enjoy the reworked career, the handling is great, it looks fantastic, but the amount of random, unsolvable crashes on PC really soured my experience, I'm willing to change it to a 9 if these tech issues are ironed out quickly, but after Forza Horizon 3 you'd expect them to learn.

Karak

I believe ACG talked about the AI being overly aggressive.

Ya I talked about it a good deal. It was one of the things that bothered me. I did change my style of racing a bit and it calmed down, but that Drivatar setting didn't seem to do much compared to me being ultra careful.

thelastword

Banned
but people are saying it is not a simulator? :p
Only because people were criticizing forza's physics and some of the default handholding features including driving lines, rewind etc...for a sim racer. Have no doubt, this franchise has always been seen as a sim....So there's no reason for anyone to rewrite history just because people had some issues with the direction of the franchise as it relates to it's physics and target demographic.

Where are the reviews though, this is the slowest reviewed game I've seen in a minute.....

leeh

Only because people were criticizing forza's physics and some of the default handholding features including driving lines, rewind etc...for a sim racer. Have no doubt, this franchise has always been seen as a sim....So there's no reason for anyone to rewrite history just because people had some issues with the direction of the franchise as it relates to it's physics and target demographic.

Where are the reviews though, this is the slowest reviewed game I've seen in a minute.....
You're defending something related to Xbox?

First time for everything.

GHG

Doesn't any review mention the shitty AI or is that a problem existing to gaf only?

Eurogamer mentioned it as has Karak (see above).

It will never be fixed as long as people continue to turn a blind eye to it. Good thing we have rewind though right guys so you can simply reverse the obnoxious AI ramming you into a wall and damaging the fuck out of your car!

----

Metro UK review:

In Short: A better Gran Turismo game than the real thing, with stunning graphics and mountains of content – although the use of loot crates and limited-use mods is worrying.

Pros: A perfect mix of simulation and arcade style handling, combined with a huge variety of tracks, cars, and game modes. Stunning graphics and sound, even on a standard Xbox One.

Cons: Unlocking cars can be frustrating and requires a significant time commitment. The use of loot crates and mods is already unpleasant and set to get worse when microtransactions are added.

Score: 8/10

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/03/forza-motorsport-7-review-the-looting-of-gran-turismo-6973381/

Jumeira

Banned
Happy for Metro to call out loot boxes (i hope they do so with all SP games). Kind of annoyed with Turn10/MS here, like they thought gamers wouldn't notice. These games sell great, quite sleazey of them to shove that in.

bombshell

Happy for Metro to call out loot boxes (i hope they do so with all SP games). Kind of annoyed with Turn10/MS here, like they thought gamers wouldn't notice. These games sell great, quite sleazey of them to shove that in.

US Gamer called out the MT's too in their review yesterday.

US Gamer - 8/10
Forza Motorsport 7 is a great racing game. It might not entirely be my cup of coffee, but it's close enough to what I like that I'm not going to turn up my nose at it. Turn 10 Studios has created another winner, but there's a creeping specter in the form of consumable mod cards and Prize Crates that undermines the more straightforward experience in previous titles. The latter threatens the soul of Forza and I hope they don't build upon those aspects in Forza Horizon 4 or Forza Motorsport 8.

Gamespot has posted their review too.

Gamespot - 8/10

There's a lot of reviews missing from the OP here. There's 41 reviews now on opencritic, seems normal for around release day (yesterday).

supersaw

Forza 5 introduced the unlock tokens. I'm sure it's disheartening for the devs to have to put that sort of shit into their games to squeeze more revenue out instead of focusing on actual features. But it is what it is. Those f2p hooks don't belong in retail games and should be called out.

Synth

You're defending something related to Xbox?

First time for everything.

Oh, don't be fooled... he's only arguing for it to be classified as a sim, so he can say that it fails as one.

Was posting in another thread that he never thought Forza Motorsport felt any more realistic than Project Gotham Racing 1.

EGOMON

This game shouldn't reviews as good as it is, I hoped more reviewer would deducte points from all that loot and MT crap I was just reading about the VIP scam too.
I don't own Xbox or care about Forza but this kind of bs business practice may affect us all if other pubs saw it was successful and got a pass by both media and players, they would implement it and even go further.
Disappointed 😞

Top Bottom