• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell invests in ChefSteps ("immersion circulator" for sous vide cooking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't understand this at all..

what does this thing do exactly? do i still need to cook normally?

Let's say you want to make a steak. You put the steak in a vacuum sealed bag. You set the temperature of the water to the temperature you want it to be at. If you like your steak to be exactly 135 degrees you can do that and it'll be at that temperature all the way through the meat, plus you can be sure all bacteria will be killed no matter what temperature you prefer. The steak also won't ever overcook (though the texture can change the longer you leave it in there).

After it's done cooking (time depends on temperature, usually the lower the temperature the more time it takes), you sear it in a super-hot pan for maybe 30 seconds per side to caramelize the outside of the meat. Of you can blowtorch it.

Sous vide is a godsend for food like pork or chicken which many people overcook over fear of eating it undercooked. With sous vide you pick the perfect temperature and never worry about it.

It creates a temperature controlled water bath that cooks food slowly and evenly. It can make the most delicious and tender steak you've every had.

It does fail to mention that you also need a vacuum sealer for this to work since you have to seal the food in, before you put it in the water bath.

There are other ways to get the air out of bag so a vacuum sealer isn't exactly required, but it's the best way. I've done all of my sous vide cooking without a vacuum sealer and I've still gotten great results.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It does fail to mention that you also need a vacuum sealer for this to work since you have to seal the food in, before you put it in the water bath.

You don't need a vacuum sealer, you can use ziploc bags.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
There are other ways to get the air out of bag so a vacuum sealer isn't exactly required, but it's the best way. I've done all of my sous vide cooking without a vacuum sealer and I've still gotten great results.

You don't need a vacuum sealer, you can use ziploc bags.

Oh, I didn't know this. That was one of the biggest things holding me back from getting a sous vide machine.

You can use a ziploc bag but it's a big hassle especially for longer cooks. Foodsealers can be found for under 50, if you're going to spend 200 on this, may as well do it right. And if you really want to sear, get a blow torch with a searzall attachment.

NewFresh

It creates a temperature controlled water bath that cooks food slowly and evenly. It can make the most delicious and tender steak you've every had.

Ziplock can work just fine as well.

lednerg

I'm usually not into smartphone-controlled things, but it makes sense for this application. It's not a familiar way for people to cook, so having step by step instructions and videos on your phone walking you through the recipes is smart. Makes more sense as a gift since it removes the learning curve.

empyrean

These sous vide circulators only tend to be naively available in the USA as far as i can see, anyone fro the uk got one and can recommend a good one?

Clipjoint

I've wanted a Wifi-enabled sous vide for the longest time. Being able to start it while I'm at work to have the meal ready by the time I get home will be a life saver.

XenoRaven

That guy stole Gabe's coffee! What a douche!

Question for people that know about this. I'm generally terrible at cooking and I also hate it because it gets messy and I end up using way more plates and pots and pans than any normal person should. It takes so damn long to prepare, cook, and then clean up everything that I end up saving myself the hassle and eating out or buying a prepared meal.

Will this device literally let me put whatever I want to eat in a bag, throw it in water and cook it and that's it? If so, I'm probably in.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
These sous vide circulators only tend to be naively available in the USA as far as i can see, anyone fro the uk got one and can recommend a good one?

Trying to take a cheap shot at the Old Glory buddy? If you wanna box then excuse me while I go grab my gloves, Justice and Freedom, from the shelf.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That guy stole Gabe's coffee! What a douche!

Question for people that know about this. I'm generally terrible at cooking and I also hate it because it gets messy and I end up using way more plates and pots and pans than any normal person should. It takes so damn long to prepare, cook, and then clean up everything that I end up saving myself the hassle and eating out or buying a prepared meal.

Will this device literally let me put whatever I want to eat in a bag, throw it in water and cook it and that's it? If so, I'm probably in.

Well sort of. It will still take a very long time to cook

nullref

How long are we talking? Let's use a chicken breast fillet for example.

~2 hours, give or take.

What about searing and crispy skins?

Often, you also do that afterward, when you're ready to serve. Except you only worry about quickly getting the sear/crisp, as the interior of the meat is already cooked.

This isn't the be-all, end-all cooking method for every dish. It's just good tool in the arsenal, and allows for some interesting techniques.

XenoRaven

That's what I was about to say, unless this is significantly cheaper.

And it's 100$ right now at their page.
Wait so I can set everything up before going to work and then an hour before I leave work I can turn it on with my phone and it'll be ready when I get home?

Dartastic

That's what I was about to say, unless this is significantly cheaper.

And it's 100$ right now at their page.
As someone who has never used this technique before and is interested, what makes the OP device better/different than the Anova? Is it really worth the extra cash, or is it just trying to be a premium product?

Argyle

Wait so I can set everything up before going to work and then an hour before I leave work I can turn it on with my phone and it'll be ready when I get home?

You're probably going to want to start it before you leave work, like a crock pot. You don't want to leave raw meat out in room temperature water all day while you're at work.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example

Yes, it has pre-made settings and whatnot so you don't have to think about it. If you are cooking chicken breasts you can just select chicken breast and it will do the rest or if you want things done a certain way you can tweak the settings.

You're probably going to want to start it before you leave work, like a crock pot. You don't want to leave raw meat out in room temperature water all day while you're at work.

I'm not an expert but it's probably not a big deal. Any bacteria that grows will be killed off by cooking. You can just allow it to cook longer if you are worried about it. It will keep at a constant temperature so it won't ruin the food.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Can you start with frozen meat? I vacuum pack a lot of chicken breasts individually being able to do this when I leave for work with frozen chicken breasts would be a godsend.

rykomatsu

Can you start with frozen meat? I vacuum pack a lot of chicken breasts individually being able to do this when I leave for work with frozen chicken breasts would be a godsend.

Depends on when you turn the device on. The sous vide device monitors power output and temp rise / decrease and heats / turns off to maintain temp.

The first few iterations of heating / cooling to reach target cooking temp will wildly overshoot and undershoot then get really close. If you start heating at ice water temp, then you can end up overcooking a little bit due to the initia temperature swings. If you start at room temp, not so bad.

Still, a great way to have food ready when you get home without worrying about burning down the house.

As someone who has never used this technique before and is interested, what makes the OP device better/different than the Anova? Is it really worth the extra cash, or is it just trying to be a premium product?

Just from a glance, it has Wi-fi support. That's important if you want to use it from anywhere.

Not with the base model. Only if you're in range. The Wi-fi model let's you do that. It costs $200, just like this.

Argyle

I'm not an expert but it's probably not a big deal. Any bacteria that grows will be killed off by cooking. You can just allow it to cook longer if you are worried about it. It will keep at a constant temperature so it won't ruin the food.

It's not just bacteria that make you sick, it's the toxins they produce as they grow. These may not break down at sous vide cooking temperatures. Honestly I'm not an expert either but none of the sous vide books I have read have recommended this as safe, IIRC. Since you can cook lots of things at temperature for a long period of time without ruining it, I would say it's probably better to just start it before you leave for work.

This is one of the minor downsides of sous vide - I do believe that it is safe but I do recommend that everyone considering one of these read up about food safety with respect to sous vide. Cooking at 130 is safe and will eventually pasteurize your food but a few degrees below that and you're actually at the OPTIMUM temperature for bacterial growth. Some foods are better cooked at lower temperatures (like fish) but you have to be careful not to leave it in there too long at that temperature or you risk food poisoning.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sous vide also saves yu money since you can buy cheaper cuts of (especially) beef and get amazing results.

Argyle

so how long does this take compared to using a slow cooker?

This depends on how much you are cooking, what you are cooking, and what your goal is.

You can do a good cut of steak (like a nice ribeye) in a couple of hours but you might want to put a tougher cut of meat in there for 1-3 days to tenderize.

MmmBeef

Some foods are better cooked at lower temperatures (like fish) but you have to be careful not to leave it in there too long at that temperature or you risk food poisoning.

Fish cooks so quickly that it's not really something you'll want to leave unmanaged in the bath. I love the Chefstep's 109º salmon recipe and that only takes 35 minutes.

I already have two sous vide devices. I really don't need a third. But it's so sexy and I have Chefsteps premium so I could preorder for $180... urghhh.

zbarron

That Anova unit is tempting for $129.
I own one in red and personally recommend it.
Within reason. It's great for proteins, good for some vegetables and can be used for things you wouldn't think, like making yogurt.

It's also not meant to be the only way to cook things but another tool in your kitchen arsenal. Here's a few things I made in mine.
15891541014_ae4d71f74a_z.jpg
16328020195_67ce926dc7_z.jpg
16368113662_1e41408966_z.jpg
19676352194_3fa2259295_z.jpg
15769248419_064849af2f_z.jpg
16335383411_b0029bb526_z.jpg

Though keep in mind not everything on those plates were cooked sous vide. The potato was done in an oven, the green beans with bacon in a cast iron skillet, etc.
No offense but this is incorrect most of the time if you work 8 hours. While the food won't "overcook" that much time lets juices leave meat and your results will be dry and not that tasty.

Mine doesn't have wifi but it does have bluetooth. I can't imagine how starting it from work would be realistic and safe. Maybe if you left it in a pot of ice water heavy on the ice it would keep it below 41*F for a few hours. Then you could start it about 2 hours before you got home.

As for the bags used, you can use ziploc bags. I personally use this: http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Vacuum-Starter-3-Quart-1-Pump/dp/B003UEMFUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448479426&sr=8-2&keywords=ziploc+sous+vide
It's a lot cheaper than a traditional vacuum sealer but does a bit better of a job than the water displacement method.

Argyle

No offense but this is incorrect most of the time if you work 8 hours. While the food won't "overcook" that much time lets juices leave meat and your results will be dry and not that tasty.

Again, this depends on what you are making and how much of it you are making. The guy who asked the question was looking for a solution to have something that was mostly ready to eat when he got home. He might have to choose things that would take 6-8 hours to cook.

I wouldn't cook a ribeye steak for 8 hours but it probably would be OK if it were a tougher cut of meat that would benefit from 8 hours of cooking.

I totally agree with your assessment on what you do want to use it for, though. I also got an Anova a few months ago and for a while I was cooking all kinds of stuff in it ("when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail") but it's definitely not the best tool for everything.

Oh yeah, one other thing I didn't see anyone mention - you can pasteurize eggs with it, which is pretty cool. You can pretty much eliminate the risk of salmonella poisoning if you want to eat your raw cookie dough :)

zbarron

Again, this depends on what you are making and how much of it you are making. The guy who asked the question was looking for a solution to have something that was mostly ready to eat when he got home. He might have to choose things that would take 6-8 hours to cook.

I wouldn't cook a ribeye steak for 8 hours but it probably would be OK if it were a tougher cut of meat that would benefit from 8 hours of cooking.

I totally agree with your assessment on what you do want to use it for, though. I also got an Anova a few months ago and for a while I was cooking all kinds of stuff in it ("when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail") but it's definitely not the best tool for everything.

Oh yeah, one other thing I didn't see anyone mention - you can pasteurize eggs with it, which is pretty cool. You can pretty much eliminate the risk of salmonella poisoning if you want to eat your raw cookie dough :)
Agreed, which is why I said most of the time.

Haha I went through the same phase.

I love pasteurizing eggs in it. Raw eggs freak my wife out but with it I was able to make an aioli that she'd eat.

It's also a great tool for infusing oils and alcohols. Still I'd warn anyone looking to purchase it that it really is best used for meats so if you don't cook a lot of meat it might not be worth it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom