• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell invests in ChefSteps ("immersion circulator" for sous vide cooking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmBeef

Ouch. I guess its only real advantage, then, is that it can stand on its own in the middle of the pot, instead of being clipped to the side like the Anova. I don't think that's worth the $100 price difference, though.

Well, is it a lot smaller and it has a 1100 watt heating element vs the Anova's 800. Don't get me wrong, I love my Anova but it struggles with containers over 5 gallons in size.

jwk94

Whelp, they're now the same price before the pre-order period for the Joule ends on the 15th. I'll probably lock in my pre-order before then. Anything I should know about sous vide cooking? I know I can use ziplock bags instead of vaccuum-sealed. Can I use a standard big cooking pot to sous vide my food or do I need something special?

Whelp, they're now the same price before the pre-order period for the Joule ends on the 15th. I'll probably lock in my pre-order before then. Anything I should know about sous vide cooking? I know I can use ziplock bags instead of vaccuum-sealed. Can I use a standard big cooking pot to sous vide my food or do I need something special?

Ziplock bags are risky because they can pop open and get water into your product. Vacuum sealed is best especially with meats and anything you dont want much oxygen getting to while it cooks low and slow. For a vessel, a pot is fine but you might want to invest in cambros. They sell them on amazon for pretty cheap. Less of a pain in the ass to use and they work great for bigger products.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of new sous vide startups/products lately.

Here is another one. https://cookmellow.com/

I think the interesting feature in this one is the cooling feature. So if something only needs to cook for 2 hours you can program it to start at 3pm but it will stay chilled before that.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Lots of new sous vide startups/products lately.

Here is another one. https://cookmellow.com/

I think the interesting feature in this one is the cooling feature. So if something only needs to cook for 2 hours you can program it to start at 3pm but it will stay chilled before that.

Having a self-contained unit with a timer makes more sense for home cooks, unless they only intend to use those clip-on versions over the weekend.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't get people flouting sous vide for its convenience.

You still have to cook all the sides and that takes just as long as meat often. And you still have to finish the meat somehow.

I get liking it for the accuracy of done temperatures, but not convenience.

Vhalyar

You still have to cook all the sides and that takes just as long as meat often. And you still have to finish the meat somehow.

Sous vide is not just for meat yo.

jwk94

I think it's supposed to be convenient because while you're still searing the meat, you don't have to worry about it not being cooked properly on the inside.

You got it backward, Dennis lol.

Sous vide a relatively new type of cooking method. It's cutting edge in terms of cooking applications.

Hipsters have an affinity for the past even without a personal connection to it.

Yeah, this is totally new...

The method was first described by Sir Benjamin Thompson (Count Rumford) in 1799 (although he used air as the heat transfer medium). It was re-discovered by American and French engineers in the mid-1960s and developed into an industrial food preservation method. The method was adopted by Georges Pralus in 1974 for the Restaurant Troisgros (of Pierre and Michel Troisgros) in Roanne, France.

Erm, maybe not. :p

Zaptruder

Banned
Ziplock bags are risky because they can pop open and get water into your product. Vacuum sealed is best especially with meats and anything you dont want much oxygen getting to while it cooks low and slow. For a vessel, a pot is fine but you might want to invest in cambros. They sell them on amazon for pretty cheap. Less of a pain in the ass to use and they work great for bigger products.

Get a big ziplock bag, get some clips - clip the top where the ziplock is to the side of the water vessel... no risk of water getting in.

jwk94

Heads up: Joule's just started shipping today. They're shipping them in order, so you might have to wait a lil while before you get your email.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ugh. Add another one to the "Games ruined by creators politics". I do not support sous vide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom