• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Levyne right out the gate with a well-written list. I like those kinds of posts. Lots of justification for the top three, while even going as far to point out some shortcomings of the titles in any case. It makes the post fairly balanced as opposed to positively-biased, which makes the list more meaningful in terms of being something that other members who haven't played the games at all would look into.

If you want to go on and on about your favorite titles for post after post, go right ahead. Just post your properly-formatted ballot afterwards, including summarizing comments.
Oh, cool. Thanks. Keeping to a 24000 character limit can be fairly hard.

I've noticed that incomplete ballots at the end of voting tend to be accompanied by people saying, "I'll finish it later."

I recommend just voting and getting it done with before you forget about it.

Ceebs

1. Saints Row 4; I love a game that knows it is dumb, and this is the dumbest game made even better with game breaking superpowers. Also screw The Last of Us, this game has the best opening sequence.
2. Gone Home; The Feels, The Nostalgia, and putting it all together without the game telling you what is going on.
3. Europa Universalis 4; I think the changes made to make the game easier to get into make this the best of the series. I got sidetracked by other stuff and did not play as much of this as I would like, but hey it has endless replayability.
4. Rogue legacy; Just fun.
5. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies; I bought a 3DS for this game. Worth it.
6. Bioshock Infinite; I bow to the guys who built Columbia. There are gameplay issues, but the world is light years ahead of the competition.
7. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds; Have not played a Zelda game in years, but this felt like comfort food.
8. Fire Emblem: Awakening; A perfect time waster. I spent way too long just messing with class combos.
9. DMC; As someone who just does not like character action games that much, and dislike the super technical ones like the previous Devil May Cry games, this reboot is exactly what I would have wanted.
10. Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag; This game has many issues mainly involving the ship combat, but mainly I just enjoyed doing the Assassin's Creed gameplay stuff again in a game that did not make me want to pull my hair out.

*will clean this up a bit later

1. The Last of Us ; The game that proved there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking risks this late in the generation with a new IP and revamped mechanics. Cinematically brilliant, emotionally touching, coupled with spectacular gameplay systems easily make this game of the year. Naughty Dog are peerless when it comes to authentically merging games and film, and sets a high bar for other developers to aim for.

2. Tearaway ; Pure joy in your hand. This is the reason to own a Vita. Media Molecule delivers an experience that is unlike any other, and you'll never want to leave this paper-craft world.

3. Killzone: Shadow Fall ; A rather divisive pick it seems, but I found the single player to be one of the best in years for mixing the gameplay up and proving peerless shooting mechanics and controls. The most graphically impressive title this year, and the best multiplayer component of any game this year or in the past few years. Given that I've already put hundreds of hours into the MP, I had to place it near the top. Not perfection, but incredibly satisfying and well worth the money.

4. Tomb Raider ; A thoroughly enjoyable revamp of the series. Loved the semi-open world atmosphere, leveling mechanics, and explorable tombs.

5. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; While the core mechanics leave a lot to be desired, Ubisoft did a spectacular job immersing the player into the role of being a pirate. A unique setting and interesting ship mechanics make this Assassin's Creed title feel far more innovative than normal.

6. Puppeteer ; Like Tearaway, this game is extremely charming and well worth playing. A visual and aural splendor.

7. Killzone: Mercenary ; Another fantastic handheld title. Fun single player, great multiplayer.

8. BioShock Infinite ; Not nearly as memorable as the first. A lot of untapped potential given the fantastic world and art style. Still, I enjoyed my time with the title, just wish the gameplay and world were executed better. At times it felt as authentic as a ride at Disney World.

9. God of War: Ascension ; A fun campaign, but perhaps too familiar at the same time. Technically fantastic with great controls and animation, but in terms of ambition it's lacking compared to its predecessor and the MP failed to really catch on.

10. Guacamelee ; Metroidvania done right. Indies do what AAA devs don't.

1. The Last Of Us ; Game of the generation. Started really slow but only got better as it went on. Nearly perfect other than some of the dumb AI.

2. Bioshock Infinite ; Definitely met my exceedingly high expectations. Not as perfect as Bioshock 1 but was still an amazing ride. Sometimes buckled under the weight of it's own ambition but I can't fault it for trying.

3. Tomb Raider ; It's the game Uncharted 3 should have been. Amazing atmosphere and visceral, satisfying gameplay.

Will add more if I remember anything else I played that was "list worthy"

Levyne

Banned
How far ahead did you have your GOTY ballot ready in advance, Levyne?! Good lord, great stuff!

Ha. Thanks! I started writing this weekend or whenever the eligibility thread when up. Just wish I wasn't stuck in MMO carrot stick land from January to October so that I had some time to get more titles under my belt.

Edit: Looking at some of the above (and many other posts probably) I wish I could have gotten to The Last of Us and other games like Papers, Please

Randdalf

1. Dota 2 ; I'm pretty sure that more than 90% of the gaming I did this year was in Dota 2. An insanely engrossing and compelling multiplayer game that for all its lows has some of the highest highs that I've experienced playing games.

2. Grand Theft Auto V ; I've never played a Grand Theft Auto game before, at least not properly (I've played snippets of Vice City on PC), so this was a new experience for me and boy was it a good one. This game is glorious fun from start to finish.

3. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies ; This game grabbed me like an ASOIAF novel. Funny, well-written, fantastic visual design, puzzling, shocking: it has all a game of its type should have, and is one of the best Ace Attorney games.

4. Pikmin 3 ; Pikmin 3 is utterly different from anything I've played in a long time and it's also utterly amazing. For such a technically redundant machine, Pikmin 3 is one of this year's best looking games. The game beautifully captures the minutiae of the zoomed-in undergrowth it depicts and the screen positively teems with life. It's all over rather quickly, but the deceptively simple game mechanics are more fully realised in the challenge mode. The multiplayer is sadly under acclaimed, an inspired re-imagining of Pikmin 2's multiplayer, one of this year's best.

5. Pokemon X/Y ; I still haven't finished it, but the new 3D battles breath fresh life into the series. I've actually spent more time fishing for shiny Poliwags than I have actually playing the game.

6. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; This is an almost astonishingly un-Nintendo game. Every complexity and option is laid bare and it's brilliant for that.

7. Luigi's Mansion 2 ; This game is one of those rare titles I think deserves plaudits purely for its graphics. The stuff Next Level manage to pull off on the 3DS is nothing short of... next level. I do feel the gameplay is a little thin however.

8. Just Cause 2: Multiplayer ; I haven't had the chance to check out the full version of this game yet, but this is an amazing mod converting a rigidly single player game into a full-fledged multiplayer game with thousands of people on the same server at once. It's not just a triumph of modding but a technical triumph also.

2012. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ; Just like TF2, this game has blossomed from a slightly wonky and barebones shooter to a vibrant and constantly improving one. I'm still no good at CS, but I can still appreciate it.

Servbot24

Banned
1. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; This is the most addicting game I played this year. Playing it on Hard was an absolute delight.
2. Guacamelee ; Pure fun. So much love went into this game. This is one of the best sidescrolling experiences I've ever had.
3. Velocity Ultra ; Delightfully difficult.
4. The Last of Us ; This game features the best character writing I've ever seen in a video game.
5. Tearaway ; This is a great reason that you should go out and buy a Vita right now.
6. WindWaker HD ;
7. Ni No Kuni ;
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ;
9. Pokemon X/Y ;
10. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ;

I'll add comments in a bit.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want to preface this by saying that I only have 3 games on my list. These 3 titles are some of what I feel to be the best offerings of this year and even the generation, while everything below that is simply good at best, and probably shouldn't be on a GOTY list. There are a lot of games I didn't get around to this year, either.

1. The Last of Us ; I don't know where to begin. I was impressed with previews long before launch, but I staunchly believed that Naughty Dog would once again make a cinematic game with shallow gameplay and a middling story offset with well written characters. Hype eventually got to me and I picked it up at launch.

The first time I played it, I had only 30 minutes or so to spare - most of you know what the first part of the game consists of. I was hit hard and I didn't want to stop. I eventually burned through the rest of the game the next day, wishing for more at the end.

Naughty Dog created a game I didn't think could ever come from them. The Last of Us combines polished, well crafted stealth and third person combat with storytelling rarely seen, if ever, in a videogame. Joel and Ellie are two of the best written characters in gaming. Every moment is tense and has you on the edge of your seat. The AI is strong and varied; I remember visiting the OT and seeing gaffers swap their survival stories.

I'm fairly critical of games in general, but I cannot gush over The Last of Us enough.

2. Grand Theft Auto V ; After being thoroughly disappointed by GTA IV, I was a bit skeptical of GTA V, especially after repeated delays. On a whim (and with some extra cash), I bought the game, figuring the resale value would hold for awhile if I didn't care for it.

I played about 30 hours in 4 days.

Without getting too much into it, the robbery missions are some of the most fun I've had this generation. Switching between Michael, Franklin and Trevor is seamless and exhilarating. Setting up each heist is interesting, too. The shooting mechanics, while definitely needing some work, are serviceable enough. The driving is smooth and fun, especially when playing as Franklin. The main characters (Michael, Franklin and Trevor) are portrayed well, and the story is solid.

There's a ton to do in Los Santos, be it sports, assassination missions, car theft, what have you. Missions in general are surprisingly varied and play differently.

I really, really enjoyed GTA V, a lot more than I thought I would.

3. Tearaway ; Media Molecule is quickly becoming my favorite developer. The creativity in Tearaway is off the charts - the world is dripping in sweet, colorful, beautiful paper-fied art. It's not a gimmick at all; the platforming works very well, while utilizing basically every unique feature of the Vita. The lengthy list in which you can interact with this world in which you're basically God is incredible.

Without getting into anything specific, I want to mention the ending. It seems I'm not alone in saying that Tearaway has a fantastic final part that made me emotional. I didn't expect it at all, but it got me. This is what I feel to be the Vita's killer app, and it crushes me that it sold so poorly.

4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; This is one of the few instances where I feel games can be art. Brothers' story is simple, yet touching and profound, all without uttering a word. The gameplay is unique and engaging, and the art is incredible.

x. Bioshock Infinite ; Well-done atmosphere and story, firmly held back by mediocre gameplay and characters ranging from excellent to mediocre. Oh, what could've been.

x. Papers, Please

x. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

x. Knack ; I'm sure this game probably won't show up on anyone's list, but I want to include it anyway. Knack is a simple game that feels like it belongs to the 90s. The entire game uses 2 sticks and 3 buttons. However, combat in Knack has a layer of skill and timing to it that might surprise some people. It's hardly reminiscent of Dark Souls, but it's worth mentioning.

I also appreciated the art direction. While the story and characters weren't exactly "oscar-worthy", I felt they were decent enough for this kind of game. Despite what reviews may say, Knack is a solid game and should be played by PS4 owners.

x. Pokemon X/Y ; What can I say, it's Pokemon. If you enjoyed any of the previous games, the basics are still there. The new Pokemon are pretty good and there has been a lot of new mechanics added.

x. Tomb Raider ; I equate Tomb Raider to essentially the inverse of Uncharted - I'd rather play Tomb Raider, but I prefer to experience Uncharted. I much prefer Tomb Raider's gunplay and platforming, but it definitely falls short in basically everything else. The combat is solid and enemy encounters are decent enough. All in all, Tomb Raider was a fun romp, but it did feel like an amalgamation of modern day videogame mechanics.

x. Payday 2
x. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
x. Metro: Last Light
x. Resogun
2012 ; Far Cry 3

op5TxOh.jpg
1.Ni no Kuni: A beautiful and fun RPG. My favorite animation studio making a game like this is something I've wanted for a very long time.
2. The Wonderful 101
3.Super Mario 3D World: Incredibly fun and polished. Absolutely insane co-op.
4.Tomb Raider
5.The Last of Us

2012. Xenoblade Chronicles ; This might be the best RPG I've played since FF7. The world is ridiculously engaging and the combat is super fun.

1. The Last of Us ; Brilliance... Great gameplay, tight, emotional story, and a conclusion that was one of the best this medium has ever seen.
2. Resogun ; Voxels... Voxels everywhere! An addictive cylindrical shooter from the minds behind PS3's seminal masterpiece Super Stardust HD. Great game.
3. Escape Plan ; Cute, somewhat charming, addictive, and humorous
4. Killzone Shadow Fall ; It has it's faults but you can't fault Guerilla for trying something new and bucking the trend of linear set-piece gameplay in favour of a more open/linear approach. The owl is also a nice addition.. allowing for multiple ways to engage the Helghast. The multiplayer, from what little I've played, I've quite enjoyed and look forward to spending more time with. Plus Guerilla should be lauded for their unorthadox decision to go without aim assist.. I can only hope future muliplayer shooters follow Guerilla's lead as their really is no need for it as it only serves to dumb down gameplay and not respect true skill.
x. Tearaway ; This is sadly only an honourable mention as I haven't had the chance to play it yet.. It's currently occupying my shelf awaiting a Vita. I would'nt be surprised however if after playing it this game shot up to one or two in my current rankings.

Riposte

This is the part where I regret not writing down half the random thoughts I had while playing a game and mull over them. Finally free to focus on games after a fall season that was rough in every sense.

If you like your goty list and don't have a website, you should link it as a home page.

EDIT: lol Cheesemeister is going be busy, as usual.

01_albw_zps29d9d14c.png

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; With how much fun I had playing Super Mario 3D World, and owing to how impressed I was by The Last of Us, it's hard to believe that another game came out in 2013 that I found more enjoyable to play. But The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is that game. It's my favorite Zelda game since Majora's Mask...and I have completely run out of characters for this post. But it's my Game of the Year -- it's fantastic. (Nintendo, 3DS)

02_tlou_zps5260a9e6.png

2. The Last of Us ; If I was "rooting" for one game in 2013, not just for my own selfish interests but for the industry at-large, it was The Last of Us. "AAA", big budget console experiences became increasingly dumbed-down, safe and pandering over the course of the previous generation, leaving me wondering if this segment of the video game market could ever amaze me again. At the same time, the once-thriving survival horror genre has taken a huge beating over the past decade, with the flagship brands in that arena engaging in a race to see who could fuck everything up the fastest. A certain game that represented just about everything that is wrong with modern "AAA" gaming closed out 2012 with the unintentionally-sardonic tag-line, "No Hope Left". And then there's The Last of Us, a game assigned the unenviable task of putting both an entire genre and an entire sector of the industry on its shoulders to live up to all of the hopes and dreams I had for it...hopes and dreams that have been crushed repeatedly by the likes of Capcom and EA. And boy, did it ever live up to my expectations. There was a certain something that I wanted -- no, needed to get out of The Last of Us, that feeling of a personal battle of attrition that I'd been longing for. Because of this, I chose to play it on Hard with all of the hand-holdy settings turned off, and just crossed my fingers and hoped that the game would feel like it was meant to be played that way, and not as a shooter. And thankfully, it gave me just about everything I was looking for from it. It was exactly the brutal and unrelenting fight for survival I was hoping for, one that left me emotionally and mentally drained by the time it was over. The 20-or-so hours leading up to that point were nothing short of spectacular; on a moment-to-moment basis, The Last of Us is the most memorable single-player campaign I've played since Half Life 2. Every scene, area, and encounter feels as if it was meticulously constructed by Naughty Dog under the lens of a microscope. And the pace of the game is nearly perfect, ratcheting up the suspense little-by-little as it goes along before reaching a fever pitch in its final act, leading up to what was absolutely a perfect ending. Once the credits rolled, I felt exhausted yet fulfilled, which is specifically what I was hoping to take away from it. Without hesitation, I'd rank this as one of the 3 or 4 best games of the generation. A little hope has been restored. (Naughty Dog, Playstation 3)

03_mario3dworld_zpsb23a5cfc.png

3. Super Mario 3D World ; Ever since Mario made his 3D debut with Super Mario 64, there's been a conscious effort on Nintendo's part to figure out how to translate classic 2D Mario gameplay into 3D. As a first effort, 64 wasn't that game, but subsequent installments have led us to where we are today. Sunshine introduced the linear, pure platforming stages that could be considered a testing ground for what would eventually become Super Mario Galaxy, a game that fused the open world style of previous 3D Mario games with the linear design sensibilities of 2D Mario. Finally, Super Mario 3D Land refined the Galaxy formula into what Nintendo was searching for all along: a 3D Mario game that played like an old school 2D Mario game. And this brings us to Super Mario 3D World, which finished the job that 3D Land started and could very well be the full realization of Nintendo's initial vision. First and foremost, playing Super Mario 3D World was the most fun I had playing anything this year, new game or old. In just about every inch of every stage, there's something fun to do. It could be just trying to progress through the level normally, or trying to find something hidden, or...let me put it this way: just running and jumping around is a whole heck of a lot of fun, because the game plays like a dream. It may sound cliché, but 3D World is built all around having fun, moreso than any Mario game I can remember. It doesn't have the most creative Mario stages ever, but very few of them feel like throwaways and there's a lot of variety in each world -- you never play two stages in a row that feel too similar. The power-ups may not necessarily be the best in the series, but I think they are without a doubt the most fun set of power-ups. In particular, the Cat Suit is probably my new favorite Mario power-up, and anything involving the Double Cherry was awesome. It really goes without saying that I had an absolute blast playing this game, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the excellent and extremely catchy soundtrack, the very polished and pleasing graphical look, and some really strong (and challenging!) post-game content. Super Mario 3D World is Mario game design done at its highest level, and it'd be tough to convince me that this formula can be perfected much better than it was done here. (Nintendo, Wii U)

04_brothers_zpsc2703e7d.png

4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; It's over and done with in the span of 3-to-4 hours, but Brothers may very well represent the strongest 3 or 4 hours from any game this year. In its short running-time, Brothers trims the fat and makes every second count, creating an excellently-paced adventure that hits every note with a high-degree of confidence and focus. During my single sitting with the game, I went on a ride that swept me through a wide range of emotions; it's a definitively sad game, but it allowed for moments of levity that genuinely made me smile. There are tense moments that really had me feeling on edge, but just as often the game let's you enjoy a thrilling set piece that wouldn't feel out of place in a Disney movie. It's filled to the brim with clever puzzles and features some pretty creative boss fights, but Brothers may be at its strongest when you're working together to traverse the game's gorgeous landscapes. The art design is the best of anything I've seen all year -- it's one occasion when I can use the word "breathtaking" and not feel like I'm being hyperbolic. All of this would make Brothers a great game in and of itself, but it reaches a whole other level for me due to the part that I thought was the most suspect coming in: the controls. Dividing up the analog sticks to control each brother individually initially felt awkward and clumsy. But over the course of the game, it became something more than just an unorthodox control scheme. It is this game. Starbreeze rejects the separation of gameplay and narrative by taking what constitutes the bond between player and game (the controller), and having that represent the emotional bond between the two brothers. The places that they go with this are deeply powerful and resonant in the context of the story, and would not have been possible had they gone with something more conventional. Brothers, to me, is the finest-crafted adventure game of the generation. (Starbreeze, Playstation 3)

05_bioinf_zps9671ecc5.png

5. Bioshock Infinite ; The game design may not have been as ambitious as when the game was first shown off, and the combat may not have been quite as good as previous entries in the franchise. But Bioshock Infinite still managed to meet my sky high expectations by delivering an unbelievable thrill ride, one that had me fully engaged from the opening quote all the way through to the unforgettable ending. Irrational created a world in Columbia that I had no trouble buying into, one where I sometimes would forget it was a game I was playing, one where the journey felt as much mine as it was Booker's. Almost everything that happens in the game is done with the purpose of keeping you invested in the narrative, to have you consistently taking in everything that's happening around you to try and decipher what's really going on, and to have you constantly on the edge of your seat waiting to see what direction the game would go in next. Everything is worth paying attention to, because Infinite is always telling its story even when it isn't explicitly doing so, whether it's through clues found in off-hand pieces of dialogue or from visual and auditory stimuli in the environment. The way that the events of Bioshock Infinite unfold and eventually wrap up is a tremendous achievement in video game storytelling. However, the game has its warts; I thought Infinite got away from the "encouraging experimentation" component of the earlier games' combat, by having a few powers and guns that I found to be notably superior to the others. While this was offset by the addition of certain environmental objects to interact with, which added variety to the combat in areas where there were skylines or tears, it wasn't uncommon for the combat to feel unremarkable at times in areas absent those features. But at the end of the day, the combat is serviceable at its worst and still really fun at its best, and I don't feel like it in any way took away from an experience that I'll remember for a very long time. (Irrational Games, Playstation 3)

06_theswapper_zps873031f9.png

6. The Swapper ; The Swapper is one of those "check off every box" type of games, in that just about every component of the game's makeup is done well and met my expectations. It combines elements from a number of games that I really enjoy (Metroid, Portal, Dead Space), it looks great, the atmosphere is outstanding, the music is excellent, the story is thought-provoking and the puzzles, oh man, the puzzles! The Swapper is filled with some of the most challenging puzzles in any game I've played in a while, with a few towards the end of the game actually taking me over an hour to figure out. But there's a great sense of accomplishment upon finally cracking the code on a brutally-tough one, even after pulling out what's left of my hair in the process. And what stands out the most is that the swapping mechanic that you are introduced with at the start can be utilized in many different ways to solve puzzles throughout the game; it just requires you to figure out what you have to do, by discovering something that you could do all along, but you didn't know you could do it. This is encapsulated by one brilliant moment that occurs early in the game. The first few puzzles are really simple, as you start to learn the basics of what your swapper gun can do. And then along comes a puzzle where you're thinking, "OK, what now?" And there's a visual clue in the background of the level that you never would have picked up on before this point in the game, and that's when the light bulb goes off and now you're thinking "Wait a second, this also does THAT? I wonder if that means I can also -- holy shit, that actually worked!" It's a very smart game, and every time it succeeds at making you feel smart as well, it's just an awesome moment. Sitting in a dark room with headphones on and just being able to immerse myself, playing through The Swapper was an experience I can look back on say I thoroughly enjoyed, and there's really nothing about the game that comes to mind that I remember being sub-par in any way. Top-to-bottom, it's a great game. (Facepalm Games, PC)

06_gonehome_zpsc4de84c6.png

7. Gone Home ; On the surface, Gone Home isn't much of a game. In terms of game mechanics, you don't do much other than walk around a house and look at things. And yet, what makes Gone Home so special is something that could only be achieved through this medium. In an era dominated by cutscene-driven storytelling, here's a game that allows the setting to tell its own story. By allowing the narrative to play out in a very natural way, Gone Home does a terrific job of creating a believable set of characters that have lived in this house, and in a lot of ways these people end up feeling more whole and fleshed out than many other video game characters that have had hours of screen-time. As the game goes along, you start to feel like you know these characters, what types of people they were, and how they lived their lives. From a storytelling standpoint, Gone Home really plays its story straight for the most part, but the game's lonely setting and dark mood urges you to immediately think the most ominous thoughts about what has happened to this family, and why nobody is home (fueled by a very simple, subtle score that is among the most effective themes I've heard at creating a sad, haunting atmosphere). With that in mind, developer The Fullbright Company smartly and deliberately structures the progression through the house in such a way that plays heavily with your expectations of how most modern video game narratives go, and this permits them to take the story places that you never would have considered at the start. But beyond the central narrative, the game also brought a lot of emotions out of me, as someone who grew up in the 90's. I remember making mix tapes of my favorite alternative rock bands of the time, and looking forward to watching The X-Files every Friday night (and also taping re-runs of the earlier seasons in order), and borrowing game cartridges from a "friend" who eventually wanted them back years(!) later. It all feels very familiar to me, and while it could be considered just a "nostalgia trip" in a way, it made the story, characters and setting come across as more intimate and personal to me. It's a level of sincerity and realism that you just don't find in most mediums. (The Fullbright Company, PC)

07_rayman_zps1b3af842.png

8. Rayman Legends ; Platformers are one of the few genres where I view "more of the same" as being a good thing rather than a bad thing, and this is especially true when you are following-up a game as good as Rayman Origins. Legends more-or-less continues from where Origins left off, but it also makes numerous improvements across the board; beyond further polishing up the controls and visuals, this time around they deliver a lot of gameplay variety that actually holds up rather well against your traditional Rayman platforming levels. Most notably, the game makes excellent use of the Wii U's Game Pad by building entire levels around touch and tilt mechanics, and they bring an element of fun and challenge to the table that complements the rest of the game, rather than feeling tacked-on. Although there was one Murfy level towards the end of the game that I thought didn't work at all due to the touch controls not being responsive enough to overcome the speed of the level (AND Globox's woeful AI), on the whole I thought they worked well and were a positive addition to the game. Then, there are the "chase" levels which rank among some of the most fun and thrilling fast-paced platforming stages out there. But the real stars of Rayman Legends are the music stages, which are a real treat and playing them at the end of each world truly comes across as a rewarding experience. The sheer joy that comes from finishing a music stage in one uninterrupted run is a level of pure fun that few games can offer. If there's one area where Legends comes up a little short, it's that it's a noticeably easier game than Origins. But while I'd probably give Origins the edge in terms of pure platforming, Legends makes up for it by being the more fun game to play of the two. And as a game that is absolutely loaded with content, including many of the stages from Origins, Rayman Legends provides a big bang for your buck beyond already being one of the year's most fun games. (Ubisoft, Wii U)

08_gtav_zps9877b025.png

9. Grand Theft Auto V ; No game this year has left me feeling more conflicted. On the one hand, in a vacuum GTA V is hands-down the best Grand Theft Auto game Rockstar has made, and possibly the best overall game of this type. It is an amazing technological achievement that constantly leaves you wondering how they pulled it off on this generation of consoles. It's got an entertaining story with an equally-entertaining cast of characters to go along with it. And the missions, which over time have become the big selling-point of this series, are among the most fun and varied in the series. And yet, I feel like the game didn't do nearly enough for me. The open world genre is one that has felt stagnant to me for a while now, and I was really hoping that as this generation's swan song, GTA V would be the shot in the arm that both this series and the genre needed. But the open world aspect of this game...it just doesn't feel very different from what I've been playing for over a decade now. It's the best-looking and most believable world they've crafted, but it's filled with the same shallow "time-waster" activities as the last game, with the addition of "new" mission types that only feel like something new if you skipped Red Dead Redemption. And just the overall feel of the game, the way you control your characters/vehicles and interact with the environments, it's all incredibly long-in-the-tooth at this point; it's unfathomable to me that GTA V barely improved on the mechanics of the very-dated GTA IV, especially when something like Sleeping Dogs came out the year before and feels so much better to play. It's largely on the strengths of the missions (particularly the heists), the characters, the presentation and just how impressive the scope of San Andreas is that this game even made my list. Nevertheless, as the game I spent the most time playing in 2013, I have no doubts about it as being one of the year's ten best games. But now that I've played it, I'm left wanting GTA to become more and more about the heists, and honestly I'm not sure I'd miss the open world element if it went away altogether. (Rockstar Games, Playstation 3)

09_gunpoint_zps171cb41e.png

10. Gunpoint ; The debut game from independent developer Tom Francis just so happens to be one of the smartest and most satisfying games I played in 2013. Like any good stealth game, Gunpoint allows for multiple play-styles, and gives you the opportunity to essentially do a "dry run" for how you want to carry out the mission. But what sets it apart is that the way in which the game is designed allows you to see the totality of the level from the start, and by also providing you the ability to essentially alter the level design of each stage, it ends up being a very approachable way to script how the mission is going to play out. By giving you specific tools to make use of, and the rules for what they do in the Gunpoint world, you almost have total free reign to experiment with each stage until you've settled on the most fun, satisfying way to complete your objectives. Because you are only given enough information to know what everything does, how everything works in tandem with the design of each level is something you're left to discover on your own, which leads to plenty of "I didn't know I could do that!" moments. And as a result, there ends up being a lot more variety than just simply doing a ghost run, or a no-kills run, or a "fuck it, I'm just going to kill everybody" run. The game encourages you to come up with the solution that feels most satisfying to perform, which made replaying each level several times a very enjoyable thing to do. This is all well and good, but on top of everything else the game also features a retro visual style that could have felt dated but for some reason doesn't, a simple music score that could have been forgettable but is actually pretty memorable, and a story that could have been a throwaway but is instead surprisingly compelling. Talk about making a strong first impression! (Suspicious Developments, PC)

x. The Wonderful 101 ; Hideki Kamiya's latest character action romp combines the visual aesthetics of Viewtiful Joe with the stylish, over-the-top combat of Bayonetta, to make a new Pikmin spin-off that happens to star the Power Rangers. And for the most part, it actually works. 101 is unlike anything else I've played this year, and the game's willingness to try a lot of things that other games don't do, is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. Some uneven pacing and a few ideas that didn't work out quite so well hold it back from greatness, but the mind-blowing set pieces and the overall spectacle of the game makes it one worthy of recognition. (Platinum Games, Wii U)

x. Rain ; I'd say "beautiful" is a good word to describe Rain, both in terms of its music and also its visuals. It also hearkens back to a style of game that was much more commonplace a few generations ago, and admittedly that element of nostalgia brought a smile to my face while playing it. But I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for the gameplay to hold up its end of the bargain, and while some interesting mechanics are in there, the game never goes as far with them as you'd hope. The end result feels very "Ico Lite", as opposed to something that could legitimately fill that void for me. (SCE Japan Studio, Playstation 3)

x. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ; An enjoyable follow-up to the GameCube game that is solid in all phases, but peaks way too early for a game of its length. Dark Moon does a commendable job of varying up the locales as the game goes along, but doesn't find enough new, creative uses for the game's mechanics to keep the momentum going until the end. It's a good game, but a bit of a missed opportunity, because it very easily could have been a great one. (Next Level Games, 3DS)

2012. Spec Ops: The Line ; I enjoyed this game for making something out of a genre that I've lost almost all interest in. By taking all of the in-game killing that you (as the player-character) carry out, and turning it into the central theme of the game, Spec Ops goes to a dark place that many better, more popular shooters stay away from. And ultimately, it allows what is by comparison an average shooter, to stand out among its peers. (Yager Development, Xbox 360)

DukeBobby

1. The Last of Us ; My favourite game of the previous generation, and sits comfortably in my top 10 games of all time. After a slow first couple of hours (aside from the superb prologue), it soon hits its stride and never lets up, taking you on a roller-coaster ride you won't forget any time soon. Simply phenomenal.

2. Metro: Last Light ; Now this one surprised me. I was a fan of Metro 2033, but I can't say that I loved it. It was riddled with niggling issues such as poor stealth mechanics and poor gunplay. Last Light more or less fixed all these issues, while still retaining what made the original such a unique FPS experience. However, there is one small problem: the game is a little too easy. Overall, it's one of the best FPS's i've played in years. Brilliant.

3. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; I had to think hard on this one. On the one hand, the game is tremendously fun, and the world is vast and achingly beautiful. The 80 hours I spent with the single player were incredible. On the other hand, the multiplayer was a complete mess at launch, which soured my experience a little. The shooting mechanics were also rather poor, and the heists were disappointing. Overall, a fantastic game, with a few too many niggling flaws. One day, Rockstar will deliver the ultimate open world experience. This time, they got close.

4. Spelunky ; Addictive as fuck. That's all that needs to be said, really.

5. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; Metro delivered the atmosphere, this delivered the fun, with some of the most satisfying mechanics I've ever seen in a shooter. Pure joy from start to finish.

6. The Swapper ; Indies were great this year, and very few were better than The Swapper. It was brimming with atmosphere, and had wonderful visuals and music. Oh, and the puzzles. My God, the puzzles were good. The cloning mechanic was ingenious, and led to many head-scratching moments. Highly recommended.

7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Not my favourite in the series, but still a solid entry, with arguably the best soundtrack. The first couple of cases aren't great, but the game quickly picks up, and ends with one of the best cases in the series. Good stuff!

8. Gunpoint ; A great little stealth based puzzle platformer, with wonderful mechanics and hilarious dialogue.

9. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; By all accounts, it should have been top 5 material, but two huge flaws bring the game down: the awful camera, and left stick waggling. Other than that, the game is phenomenal. Fast, fluid combat, cheesy over-the-top story, and one of the best soundtracks of the year. RULES OF NATURE!!

10. Bioshock Infinite ; Wow, what a fall from grace. Upon completion, this was my number 1 game of the year, but subsequent playthroughs revealed troubling issues, with the primary one being the combat. The mechanics are solid enough, but the actual encounters are not. Arena type combat against waves of enemies is just not fun, and it is far too hectic. Still, it earns its place in my top 10 for delivering a somewhat memorable experience (with a great ending).

2012. Euro Truck Simulator 2 ; Holy shit, I was not expecting this. 80 hours in, and I'm still not bored. I'm not a truck driver, and have no intention of ever becoming a truck driver, but driving a virtual truck was somehow one of the most enjoyable things I've done all year. It's difficult to find flaws. It's well realised, graphically impressive, and just simply a well made game. The star of the show, however, is the streaming radio feature. Only in ETS2 can I drive through France while listening to some obscure Euro pop. *Sigh* If only this vote counted.

rjc571

Banned
Why can't my 2012 vote be a game that didn't get any votes last year?

PS are Sega 3D Classics for 3DS eligible? At the very least Galaxy Force 2 should be since the 3DS version is the first acceptable port to be released outside of Japan.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Love this thread. I don't play many new games per year so these threads are great for getting suggestions on good games I missed. I like that a substantial comment in needed. List threads are so awful.

Here is my picks:

1. Last of Us ; I love new IP's, and I love Naughty Dog games. It was the first game in a long time that I found myself unable to put down. I'm the type that explores every bit of every level so it took me quite a while to finish. The story was top notch and made me become emotionally invested in the well being of the characters. That is so rare for me in the video game industry. Bravo Naughty Dog. I can't wait to see what new IP's you will bring our way in the future.

2. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; The world that Rockstar created in GTA5 is without a doubt the most intricate and fun open world in a last gen game. I enjoyed the singleplayer immensely. It was so much better than the previous last gen GTA. I know that's not saying much. Multiplayer was a complete mess at first but once it started working well it was great. Playing with my GAF crew was some of the most fun I've ever had playing a multiplayer game.

3. Hotline Miami Vita ; I played the game on PC and enjoyed it but didn't finish it. When it was released on Vita I was sceptical on how it would control. I rolled the dice and got it. About an hour into my first session with the game I was convinced that Hotline Miami on Vita was the best version of the game. I was addicted to it in the best way possible. I've played through it several times and would reccomend it to any new or current Vita owner, even if you played it already on a different platform.

4. Velocity Ultra ; Fantastic new IP from futurelab. The flow of the game is very fluid. I spent a lot of time going for a perfect run on all the stages. Sadly I still haven't gotten a perfect on every stage but the game is so good that every few weeks I fire it up and take on one level at a time until my muscle memory is good enough to score a perfect.

5. DOTA2 ; On the surface it seems like a game that I wouldn't like at all. I watched a few videos and it didn't really grab me at all. After seeing how many people on my steam list were constantly playing it I decided to finally download it and give it a shot. I H8 Memes helped me get the basics down and before I knew it I had over 100 hours played. I know there are plenty of people here that have played WAY more than that but 100 hours is a huge deal for me. DOTA basically consumed my life for 2 or 3 months this year. I put it down earlier this year but for the past few days I've been playing again. It's one of those games I really have to be careful with or my kids will end up starving because I will never want to get up and make dinner.

Why can't my 2012 vote be a game that didn't get any votes last year?

PS are Sega 3D Classics for 3DS eligible? At the very least Galaxy Force 2 should be since the 3DS version is the first acceptable port to be released outside of Japan.

LTTP votes are an extra hassle, and adding even more games to an old list is more work. It'd be a lot easier to simply drop the feature altogether.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Just going to do a Top 3.

The-Last-of-Us.jpg

1. The Last of Us ; Every generation we play a game that causes us as gamers to take another look at games media as an art form or something that could aspire to reach the masses in the same way books and movies have over the years. While it's not exactly the Citizen Kane that the internet has hyped up, it's a strong look into the complexity of man when civilization crumbles around him. The multitude of emotions one goes through when dealing with fear, loss, grief, and wanting to be accepted. Even though it has an amazing cast of actors, stunning visuals, and engaging gameplay, is the game the greatest thing since sliced bread? Of course not. However, you can be damn sure The Last of Us is the best game this year and one of the best of this generation.

dota2-logo.jpg

2. Dota 2 ; Last time I checked, I had put over 700+ hours into Dota 2, acquired numerous rare items, and probably spent over $250+ in cosmetics for the 100+ heroes that reside in the game. My results? I'm still in Normal tier matches and I'm no closer to getting out of "The Trench" than playing in the next Dreamhack. I don't care though. There is something almost dangerously addicting about Dota 2 that frankly caused me to quit playing for months because it was ruining my schooling. Easy to learn, ridicuously hard to master, overwhelmingly satisfying when you pull out a win from the most unlikeliest of places. Dota 2 is amazing.

devil-may-cry-dmc-logo.jpg

3. Devil May Cry ; I truly wanted to hate this game. I mean, from the jump it had all the makings of a reboot from Hell: new, stylized main character, dumbing down of the awesome systems and styles we had grown accustomed to over the years with PS2/PS360, a haircut that just wouldn't quit (I mean that in the worst possible way), etc. We had resorted to calling him DINO (Dante in Name Only)! However, after playing the game multiple times and loving every minute of it, I only have one thing to say to the haters:

1340736121478.png

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just wanna say I appreciate the lengthy voting phase as I have a number of things to wrap up still and otherwise wouldn't have much of a list to offer, maybe even foregoing one altogether this year. I probably won't post one until the very end, but oh well.

Also - looking forward to Riposte's list, as always.

1. The Last of Us ; Great beginning to the game, then a bit of rough patch, but once it got going after that the game was just about perfect. Great story, characters, and music. The Winter section of the game was just all around brilliant. The multiplayer wasn't that great for me, but I'm not a big multiplayer guy anyway.

2. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; This was a game I was certain would be my #1, but it's a pretty close #2. What ultimately held the game back for me was the conclusion to the story. The story was generally well told throughout, but then it just kind of quickly ended with a whimper. You were given 3 "choices" for the final mission but two of the choices were awful and I feel bad for anyone who got one of those as their ending. Anyway, the rest of the game was pretty damn good, well aside from the multiplayer.

3. Assassin's Creed 4 ; I'm not a huge fan of this series, and wasn't even planning on getting this game this year. But Amazon had it on sale so I figured why not. And while the game still has the standard AC shit going on, I fell in love with the piracy action. Sailing on the seas with my crew and blowing the shit out of other boats kept me entertained probably a lot longer than it should have.

4. Bioshock Infinite ; Columbia was a really great setting to explore, and I enjoyed the gameplay for the most part. The story hit some rough patches, but all in all it's pretty damn good.

5. Saint's Row 4 ; "I understood that reference" - THE GAME. The city was boring, but the story was amusing and the superpowers were pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but good fun. What can I say, it was a light year for me.

It's this time of year already?

Still have a bunch of stuff that might make my list that I haven't finished yet, let alone started.

terrisus

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) ; Having this game always in my system, always with me, anywhere, is a dream come true
2. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) ; Love the multiplayer
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) ; Would be better in Link to the Past-style 2D, but still great
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) ; Love this in portable form
5. New Super Luigi U (Wii U) ; A great journey back through this wonderful game
6. DuckTales: Remastered (Wii U) ; Woo-oo
7. Pokémon X (3DS) ; Trying to get back into the series, Blue and Gold were great
8. Pikmin 3 (Wii U) ; Will be easier to play if/when my vision is better. Blah
9. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) ; One of these days I really need to actually play all the way through one of these Fire Emblem games, I keep getting sidetracked
10. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) ; Year of Luigi
2012. Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (3DS) ; As with Animal Crossing, having a Harvest Moon game always in my system, always with me, anywhere, is a dream come true

Levyne

Banned
...I need to buy The Last of Us, I'm unsure why I needed this thread to tell me that, haha. Maybe even finish it before the 18th. Can almost assuredly knock Ys I and II out of my list.

It's 35 dollars on Amazon at the moment if anyone else has been under a rock.

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - Having this game always in my system, always with me, anywhere, is a dream come true
2. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - Love the multiplayer
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - Would be better in Link to the Past-style 2D, but still great
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) - Love this in portable form
5. New Super Luigi U (Wii U) - A great journey back through this wonderful game
6. DuckTales: Remastered (Wii U) - Woo-oo
7. Pokémon X (3DS) - Trying to get back into the series, Blue and Gold were great
8. Pikmin 3 (Wii U) - Will be easier to play if/when my vision is better. Blah
9. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) - One of these days I really need to actually play all the way through one of these Fire Emblem games, I keep getting sidetracked
10. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) - Year of Luigi

Use semicolons.

OK.

So are Sega 3D classics eligible?

They appear to simply be ports, but in 3D, which isn't enough for consideration, just as "the same, but in HD" isn't enough. If you think they deserve to be eligible then make your case, but keep in mind the list for ineligibility from the OP.

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Good game of the series to probably my favorite overall post dlc. fantastic transition of 2d sprites to 3d.

2. The Stanley Parable ; Super self aware, sooo much paths and the dialogue, sooo good.

3. Device 6 ; Easily one of the best experiences i've had this year. Shit wraps up real well and my brain is all kinda blown. Must experience for anyone with an ios device.

4. Fire Emblem Awakening ; First game in many years that i've invested 70 hours in. Not the most challenging game post grinding and the missions aren't that great, but just fun game to grind to, with fun characters.

5. The Last of Us ; best AAA game of the gen imo. Good story good visuals (a bit iffy framerate though). decent combat. Just overall a great package.

6. Grand Theft Auto 5 ; Fun game with tons of stuff to do. Shame combat is still a bit meh, and mp is terrible.

7. Gunpoint ; insanely precise controls. Well thought out mechanics real satisfying to play.

8. Legend of Zelda A link Between Worlds ; Best portable experience this year. Great 3d effects. solid 60 fps, bite size dungeons that makes it enjoyable 30min chunks during my daily commute.

Are you guys really going to count each of the two Dishonored DLCs separately per the spreadsheet? I'll use two slots in my list if I have to (it's tough to get to 10 I'm happy with this year as it is), but it seems odd to consider them as distinct titles; they're closer to two episodes of one campaign. The attach rate for the second half for owners of the first has got to be high, and I imagine almost no one bought just the second half.

Mik317

I just relized that despite playing a lot of games this year...I didn't play many I'd consider TOP 10 worthy...but I managed to cobble together a list

1. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) ; This game is bliss. I didn't even like 3DLand that much but this shit right hurr? gdlk. It's super creative. Super fun. Very pretty. Awesome soundtrack. Multiplayer is maddness. It just does a lot of things great. Personally, I can't think of a flaw that bothered me enough to notice (I am sure it has a few). If you own a Wii U, you need this game dammit.Hopefully, we get more games of this quality and fun for the system.

2. Pokemon Y (3DS); I fucking love pokemon. I was burned out by gens 3 and 4. Black and White brought me back in but this game was super good. The story was a let down. It's too easy in spots and it runs like poop...but simple shit like seeing your favorite Pokemon in 3D makes it easy to overlook those things. The game is also full of content which is also great. I spent 15 hour sessions playing this game, restarted due to OCD and still had a blast catching back up. Hopefully they fix the flaws because if they do....whoooo boy.

3. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS); This could rise a bit as I haven;t beaten it yet but it ranks this high for simply being the game that made me glad to have a 3DS. I liked KI but the controls got in the way. 3Dland was ok but not super great...and nothing else really did it for me until this (and my number 5 slot game....). I liked the cast of characters, I loved the Waifu aspects of it, just a damn good game. It is however too easy once you get the hang of the pair up system and get the offspring characters. The story also isn't the greatest (although dat chapter 10). I put a lot of time into it...need to finish it tho (this will be a common theme for my list).

4. GTAV (PS3); I didn't really like any of the GTA games. They were fun for a bit but then I'd get bored and move on. So I wasn't hyped as hell to play this...so when it hit..I fucking hit hard. I marathon'd thru this game so hard and had a blast all the way through. No shitty missions that ruined the flow (fuck SA' helicopter mission). I liked the cast of characters, although I do think the story just kinda peters out. I also didn't care about GTAO so that fucking up didn't bother me much. This was just a fun ass game.

5. Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS); As mentioned earlier, this is one of the games that made me love my 3DS. I had always admired the art of the series but was too much of a casual I guess to play them. Bought this on a whim and with it's new noob friendly aspects even I could suck less. I always enjoy games in which I can create a party. I probably never will finish it but I really really enjoyed it.

6. DmC (PS3) ; aww shit. bout to get shanked. Look. I too wanted an internal DMC game. I loved DMC4 and 3 a lot. This should have been Angel May Weep or something...that being said, this was an enjoyable game. It's not as technical as the old games. I think it takes itself a bit too seirous at times. The story could have been interesting but nah. The hipster ass views portrayed were dumb. The color coded enimies was an awful idea...and yet. The game was fun. I enjoyed playing it. I get why some people detest this game. But I liked it.

7. Metal Gear Rising: ReVengence (PS3); This may rise up after I beat it...if I beat it. This game makes you feel awesome. YOU ARE A CYBORG NINJA SON. The story is batshit which is fine and unlike DmC, shit be hard...and yet. After a while, it becomes a bit repetitive somehow..like Raiden doesn't have enough moves or something. I can't quite put my finger on it but after the initial YOOOOOOOOOO wears off, I found myself a bit bored. Still that first rush of OMG THIS IS AMAZEBALLS is why I play games.

8.Injustice (PS3); I don't like MK. I think it looks bad and the whole fatalities thing never was cool to me. But add Batman and shit and I'm there. It also helps that it is a pretty competant fighter that is a lot of fun and something I want to give it credit for is having actual single player content for those of us who are too free to play online. It's fully featured and fun. I hope Capcom takes some notes...but they won't..

9. Project X Zone (3DS); I bought this because it had no business being localized and got a pretty fun if shallow SRPG. Awesome animations (if you know what I mean......) and a pretty good soundtrack makes this a fun play. Battles get super long and there isnt much challenge to it. Story is also a bit ...weird. Also makes you get the feels because a lot of the series in here are dead and never will see the light of day again. yaaaaaay ;_;`..fuck you Sega/Capcom.

10: One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3); A late addition...being that I just started playing it...today. But I am having a ball. Musou games were always something I was interested in but stayed away due to their reputation. I tried Sengoku Basara and loved it...however because I had no real connection to the cast..it fell by the wayside. I am currently going through One Piece and while I am not super caught up. I decided to say fuck it and buy this (Zelda Musou pushed me over the edge). I find that knowing the source material helps big time....so find a series you know and love and play its musou...you will have a blast. This could rise or drop off but right now it doesn't look likely.

Games that missed the cut(Honorable Mentions)
X. Batman Origins ; I like it but I don't feel like it needs a spot over my top 10.
X. Wonderful 101; I want to like this game...but it just isn't clicking with me...will give it another shot.
X. Sonic Lost World; Super boring homie.
X. Assasin's Creed IV; I still got to play it.

solid year with some real standouts but my bottom 5 are barely hanging on there. Hopefully with Panic Nintendo and Sony actually having to release games, next year is better.

I just relized that despite playing a lot of games this year...I didn't play many I'd consider TOP 10 worthy...but I managed to cobble together a list

1. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) : This game is bliss. I didn't even like 3DLand that much but this shit right hurr? gdlk. It's super creative. Super fun. Very pretty. Awesome soundtrack. Multiplayer is maddness. It just does a lot of things great. Personally, I can't think of a flaw that bothered me enough to notice (I am sure it has a few). If you own a Wii U, you need this game dammit.Hopefully, we get more games of this quality and fun for the system.

2. Pokemon Y (3DS): I fucking love pokemon. I was burned out by gens 3 and 4. Black and White brought me back in but this game was super good. The story was a let down. It's too easy in spots and it runs like poop...but simple shit like seeing your favorite Pokemon in 3D makes it easy to overlook those things. The game is also full of content which is also great. I spent 15 hour sessions playing this game, restarted due to OCD and still had a blast catching back up. Hopefully they fix the flaws because if they do....whoooo boy.

3. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS): This could rise a bit as I haven;t beaten it yet but it ranks this high for simply being the game that made me glad to have a 3DS. I liked KI but the controls got in the way. 3Dland was ok but not super great...and nothing else really did it for me until this (and my number 5 slot game....). I liked the cast of characters, I loved the Waifu aspects of it, just a damn good game. It is however too easy once you get the hang of the pair up system and get the offspring characters. The story also isn't the greatest (although dat chapter 10). I put a lot of time into it...need to finish it tho (this will be a common theme for my list).

4. GTAV (PS3): I didn't really like any of the GTA games. They were fun for a bit but then I'd get bored and move on. So I wasn't hyped as hell to play this...so when it hit..I fucking hit hard. I marathon'd thru this game so hard and had a blast all the way through. No shitty missions that ruined the flow (fuck SA' helicopter mission). I liked the cast of characters, although I do think the story just kinda peters out. I also didn't care about GTAO so that fucking up didn't bother me much. This was just a fun ass game.

5. Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS): As mentioned earlier, this is one of the games that made me love my 3DS. I had always admired the art of the series but was too much of a casual I guess to play them. Bought this on a whim and with it's new noob friendly aspects even I could suck less. I always enjoy games in which I can create a party. I probably never will finish it but I really really enjoyed it.

6. DmC (PS3) : aww shit. bout to get shanked. Look. I too wanted an internal DMC game. I loved DMC4 and 3 a lot. This should have been Angel May Weep or something...that being said, this was an enjoyable game. It's not as technical as the old games. I think it takes itself a bit too seirous at times. The story could have been interesting but nah. The hipster ass views portrayed were dumb. The color coded enimies was an awful idea...and yet. The game was fun. I enjoyed playing it. I get why some people detest this game. But I liked it.

7. Metal Gear Rising: ReVengence (PS3): This may rise up after I beat it...if I beat it. This game makes you feel awesome. YOU ARE A CYBORG NINJA SON. The story is batshit which is fine and unlike DmC, shit be hard...and yet. After a while, it becomes a bit repetitive somehow..like Raiden doesn't have enough moves or something. I can't quite put my finger on it but after the initial YOOOOOOOOOO wears off, I found myself a bit bored. Still that first rush of OMG THIS IS AMAZEBALLS is why I play games.

8.Injustice (PS3): I don't like MK. I think it looks bad and the whole fatalities thing never was cool to me. But add Batman and shit and I'm there. It also helps that it is a pretty competant fighter that is a lot of fun and something I want to give it credit for is having actual single player content for those of us who are too free to play online. It's fully featured and fun. I hope Capcom takes some notes...but they won't..

9. Project X Zone (3DS): I bought this because it had no business being localized and got a pretty fun if shallow SRPG. Awesome animations (if you know what I mean......) and a pretty good soundtrack makes this a fun play. Battles get super long and there isnt much challenge to it. Story is also a bit ...weird. Also makes you get the feels because a lot of the series in here are dead and never will see the light of day again. yaaaaaay ;_;`..fuck you Sega/Capcom.

10: One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3): A late addition...being that I just started playing it...today. But I am having a ball. Musou games were always something I was interested in but stayed away due to their reputation. I tried Sengoku Basara and loved it...however because I had no real connection to the cast..it fell by the wayside. I am currently going through One Piece and while I am not super caught up. I decided to say fuck it and buy this (Zelda Musou pushed me over the edge). I find that knowing the source material helps big time....so find a series you know and love and play its musou...you will have a blast. This could rise or drop off but right now it doesn't look likely.

Games that missed the cut(Honorable Mentions)
X. Batman Origins :I like it but I don't feel like it needs a spot over my top 10.
X. Wonderful 101:I want to like this game...but it just isn't clicking with me...will give it another shot.
X. Sonic Lost World: Super boring homie.
X. Assasin's Creed IV: I still got to play it.

solid year with some real standouts but my bottom 5 are barely hanging on there. Hopefully with Panic Nintendo and Sony actually having to release games, next year is better.

Use semicolons.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hm, are you sure Broken Sword 5 should be counted? Only the first half was released this year (damn episodic games making things confusing!)

Working on illustrations for my list, but I'll probably be getting the list up sometime post Christmas. Too many other things getting in the way!

rjc571

Banned
They appear to simply be ports, but in 3D, which isn't enough for consideration, just as "the same, but in HD" isn't enough. If you think they deserve to be eligible then make your case, but keep in mind the list for ineligibility from the OP.

The amount of work that went into bringing the games to the 3DS with 3D visuals goes way beyond the scope of a mere port. This is especially the case for the 3 arcade games (Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II), which implemented all sorts of features to recreate the arcade experience down to the finest detail, along with extras such as improved graphical effects (Galaxy Force II) and extra boss fights (Space Harrier). Plus, like I mentioned in my first post, the only version of Galaxy Force II to be released in the west previously was the absolutely neutered Genesis version, so at the very least GFII should be eligible based on it being the first real non-arcade version of the game to be localized.

If you're interested, you can read the developer interviews on Sega's blog, which goes into way more detail on the work that went into recreating the games in 3D.
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/12/sega-3d-classics-–-galaxy-force-ii-interview-with-developer-m2/
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/25/sega-3d-classics-space-harrier-3d-interview-with-developer-m2/
http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/27/sega-3d-classics-–-3d-super-hang-on-interview-with-developer-m2/

1. Super Mario 3D World; The most fun I've had with a game all year and one of my favorite Mario games of all time. Multiplayer is awesome, the variety in difficulty is great, and there is a ton of content! By far my favorite game of the year.
2. The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds; Sequel to my favorite game of all time and it comes awfully close to the original. Amazing game!
3. The Wonderful 101
4. Wind Waker HD
5. Grand Theft Auto V
6. Ni No Kuni
7. Pikmin 3
8. Animal Crossing New Leaf

24000 characters. :(

Haha! And it's never rambling, always concise. I'm putting much, much more effort into it this year compared with last year. I'm guessing the lack of an RPG vote frees up time and the fact I have an actual Top Ten list ala 2011 helps, I guess.

This is the part where I regret not writing down half the random thoughts I had while playing a game and mull over them. Finally free to focus on games after a fall season that was rough in every sense.

If you like your goty list and don't have a website, you should link it as a home page.

EDIT: lol Cheesemeister is going be busy, as usual.

I had a list and something went with it. I either mislabled it or forgot which SD card it's in. I hope mnemonic action kicks in during the write up.

caustictoast

Neo Member
Here's my list as it stands. I'm sure it will change as I remember other games I played.

1. The Last of Us; This game has the best story I have ever played through. Albeit somewhat predictable, the characters are well written and believable. The combat system is fluid and easy to get a handle on. The overall feel to the world is well executed. Between trying to hide from the infected and defend from any bandits, the fireflies, and the military you get to understand just how hostile it is. Naughty Dog chose to make this game realistic and gory as real life and the game seriously improves for it. Everything comes alive in just the right way and really sucks you in for an enjoyable experience. (I talk about the ending ahead. While there are no dead giveaways if you're partway through the game you may be able to pick up what I'm throwing down.)
The ending is seriously the best part of the whole game. You can tell everything from the beginning got to Joel. Ellie accepts everything Joel does even if she knows he's lying.

2. Injustice: Gods Among Us; While not a AAA game in the same way as those with a story, this game is fun. Seriously fun. It's one of the best fighting games I have played in a long time, especially the multiplayer. Most characters are well balanced (some are a bit overpowered for being so quick and some just downright suck). The story is nothing to write home about, but it's really just practice for the multiplayer. Star Labs are kind of interesting but again they're just practice. Getting a good superhero fighting game is something I never thought I would see but I was pleasently surprised.

3. Civilization V: Brave New World; A remarkably good addition to Civ V that added in a few mechanics but really just tightened up everything that alread existed. The added Civs add a lot of value as their special abilities are some of the best. Reworking the cultural victory added a lot of depth and trade routes are interesting. All in all a solid expansion to an already great game.

4. Metro: Last Light; I'm still in progress with this one (yay first gaming PC build!) but what I've seen so far has impressed me. Having never played a computer FPS before I was highly impressed. Being able to actually aim and turn is amazing. The game's setting and backstory really impressed me as well. Going through the Metro is a genuinly scary experience. When you hear the growl of the mutants it sends a shiver down your spine. Especially when it's dark, you have basically no ammo, and you can't see where they are.

5. Need for Speed: Rivals; Definitely my favorite NFS since Underground 2. The game looks fantastic on the PS4 and plays as well as it looks. Connecting to a lobby usually doesn't take long and there's 0 lag once you are in. The only thing that could be handled better is host switching (but that's an argument for a different thread). The cars are fun and it's a rush to actually play. Having multiple objectives at once is a nice challenge and a great way to rack up Speed Points. Speed points is a pretty interesting concept, especially when you're a cop and can steal other racers points. The drop-in/out mechanic is also interesting as you can go long periods without seeing anyone, then get into a race with all of the people (that are racers at least) in the lobby.

2012. Thomas was Alone; Got this in a humble bundle earlier this year and have to say I was happy with it. This definitely wasn't the game that inspired me to get the bundle but I quite liked it. I never thought some rectangles would get me so emotionally involved. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has even considered it. It's a simple game that tells a great story.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
  1. StreetPass Mii Plaza DLC Games (Mii Force, Flower Town, Warrior's Way, and Monster Manor) ;
  2. Pokemon X ;
  3. Darkstalkers Resurrection ;
  4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers ;
  5. Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi EXTRA (PS3 release) ;
  6. Gran Turismo 6 ;
  7. Danmaku Unlimited 2 (PC release) ;
  8. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D ;
  9. Kokuga ;
  10. Age of Empires II HD Edition ;
2012. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy ;

Kinda dawned on me that I haven't played many 2012 games this year. Certainly fewer than I intended. It might be a picked by default vote which feels kind of cheap.

It's going to be really difficult for me to listen or read any game of the year stuff this year for fear of spoilers with the few games I missed: The Last of Us, Burial at Sea, Ni No Kuni...

Trouble

Banned
1. The Last of Us; Naughty Dog at the top of their game.
2. Tearaway; This game charmed my pants off. If you have a Vita it is a must.
3. Grand Theft Auto V; R* regaining the crown for open world games. Surprisingly good story and characters for a GTA game.
4. Assassin's Creed IV; Great pirate game, they could have left out everything else and I'd have been happy.
5. The Stanley Parable; Hilarious and so very meta. Wonderful narration.
6. Guacamelee!; Great platformer/brawler with fantastic and unique art direction.
7. Rogue Legacy; Ridiculously addictive platformer with permadeath/legacy system.
8. Tomb Raider; Forget the haters, this game was great. Great exploration and platforming, surprisingly good combat mechanics.

x. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds; Haven't played yet, might have to buy a 3DS just for it.
x. Gone Home; Not really a 'game', but a really touching story. I felt I'd been punched in the gut at the end.

2012. Persona 4: Golden; Huge JRPG with unique relationship system that actually effects combat powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom