• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread - VOTING CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndustryX

copy-the-last-of-us-banner.jpg

1. The Last of Us;

This game grabbed a hold of me like no other game ever has. I feel pretty comfortable saying this was my favourite game of the generation. The characters that Naughty Dog created were perfect, the raw emotion, and just human brutality really make this a game truly worthy of the Mature part of the ESRB rating system. I love Joel and Ellie, and I truly felt like I shared an experience with them, and I loved seeing the growth of the characters. The prologue to the game was a complete shock and set the tone perfectly for what was in store. There's countless moments in this game I could go on and on about
(Giraffes, Firing up the generator in the basement, first bloater, David's crew, just the banter between the characters, and the absolute best part of the game in my opinion The Ellie sections. aka winter)
Ugh what a game.

The game play was some of my favourite this year, especially with the difficulty cranked up and no listen mode, it really made me feel adrenaline I didn't think games were capable of.

The Last of Us is the only game in my entire life after beating I immediately had to start a new game and experience all over again. Cannot wait for the Story DLC, and can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has in store for us on PS4. Move over Fallout 3 and Bioshock you have been dethroned.

Oh ya and it made my girlfriend sit beside me on the couch and watch me play for 16 hours somehow. Something that she has never done before, usually she likes to play gta and cod type games but hated watching, with the last of us she was hooked. That prologue worked. Two thumbs up for storytelling naughty dog.

2. The Legend of Zelda ALBW;

My very first 3DS title and one of the best gaming choices I've made this year. This coming from a guy who has never played Link to the Past, so I was completely unfamiliar with the map going in. Brilliant dungeons, love the wall merge mechanic, charming world, buttery smooth game play, 60 FPS, great use of the 3D effect, fun boss fights, and that Zelda charm that kept me playing without wanting to stop. This game hit 30 hours playtime on my 3DS far to quickly for me to admit. I had a couple 7-8 hour marathon sessions with this game, which says a lot for me, I usually tire of story games within an hour or two and I need to take a break. Just an enthralling adventure, and a reminder of why I love Nintendo and the Zelda franchise so dearly. Must own for any 3DS owner.

3. Grand Theft Auto V;

I was extremely hyped for this game, and for the most part it delivered everything I wanted. Loved the three character mechanic, and the visuals were truly stunning for a PS3/360 Open world title. Many of my gripes with GTA would be gone had it been released on PC where the frame rate issues the consoles experience wouldn't exist. Loved the world, and the map of Los Santos was a ton of fun, some of the most fun this year I had while gaming was running from the cops in my fully upgraded Truck (Sandking?) jumping the hills in the countryside and just causing utter chaos. Not many games let you drive on the freeway, drop 10 bricks of C4, make traffic to congest by causing an accident, then hit the detonator and blow the whole freeway to bits. Awesome GTA fun. Game didn't hold my interest long enough for me to put any time into MP unfortunately. I played the game all the way through and enjoyed the story, however not really on the same level as The Last of Us or even Infinite for me.

4. Bioshock Infinite (PC);
I can't sing enough praise about the world of Columbia, just a beautiful setting (especially at 1080p steady fps) and a place that I'll remember just as fondly as I remember Rapture. Elizabeth, and the tears added a new style of play but after a while I got really tired of the game play, the end seemed to just be clear this room over and over again. Didn't really like the skyhook much, but it was an alright idea. The atmosphere is what made me stick through and looking back I really loved that world. I felt like I had to explore every corner to get a taste of everything Columbia had to offer. The game also had one of the craziest mind fuck ending's ever.

5. Civilization V: Brave New World;
Excellent addition to one of my favourite games ever. Love every single change they put into this expansion. Brings out Civilization 5's true potential. Some great new nations were added in the pack and the Iroquois have become one of my favourites. The best part is that the second half of the game can actually be enjoyable now!

6. Hotline Miami (Vita);
Awesome. Visual, Audio, addictive awesomeness. Those would be the words I'd use to describe this one. Somehow despite dying more in this game then any other title this year, I rarely got frustrated and I ALWAYS wanted to try again and beat that damn level. Awesome game I had a ton of fun with on my Vita. Really weird gritty world that I began to love. The music in the game is probably one the best parts and I think headphones are a must. Love the uniqueness each mask brings to your style of play. Tons of fun.

7. Tearaway;
Beautiful, creative and full of imagination. The options to customize your character are nearly endless, papercrafts are a cool idea that I would love to try at some point. Media Molecule created a beautiful world and a game that uses every Vita feature perfectly. Never has back touch felt natural until now, I mean who doesn't love seeing there finger pop into the world? Awesome platforming and I'm happy the Vita finally got the game it deserved. Must own for any Vita owner.

8. NBA 2k14 (PS4);
The only next gen game to make my list, the visuals are amazing, and the MyCareer actually makes me feel like im apart of my players career unlike any superstar mode or anything like that had done on the previous consoles. Love the depth of control of the 2K series and it's a great showcase of what next gen has in store for the future. Wish 2K would acquire the NFL license..

9. Ni No Kuni;

this one makes my list, solely based on being the very first console JRPG I have purchased and sunk at least 25 hours into while enjoying it immensely the whole time. Usually I struggle getting into this type of game but the art style and just the feel of the game made it feel accessible and really fun for a newer JRPG player, haven't finished it yet but may go back one day.

10. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Somehow I find myself going back every day to see what everyone is doing, see what the shops have for sale, try to avoid getting stung by bees, pick the fruit, fish, water my plants, pull my weeds and see how my public projects are going.. Don't ask me why, but it just works..

X Pokemon Y; Honestly this game more then likely would have placed top 5 had I beat it, but I've only got to the first gym leader, Zelda was far to distracting. (Only recently grabbed the 3DS) I am not to sure on my feelings of the visual style quite yet, but I will say the 3D battles are a treat to experience. May edit into the list later.

X Resogun; Awesome arcade shooter fun, way to much trying to best my friends high scores on this one, love the human saving mechanic, music, visual style and nearly everything about this game. The more I write the more I want to place it top 10..

X Guacamelee; Excellent platforming game with surprisingly fun, enjoyable combat. Great setting and pretty funny writing. From the guys who made one of my favourite Vita games Tales from Space, this is a must own platforming title, especially at the price point.

X Tomb Raider; I enjoyed the game. Fun platforming and passable RPG-lite mechanics. Wasn't much of a fun of any of the puzzles really. I liked the grittiness of the world, good fun if your looking for a single player adventure game.

Also a few games I have seen mentioned a few times that are on my list but I haven't had a chance to play as of yet.

Fire Emblem Awakening
Brothers: Tale of Two Sons
Rayman Legends
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Super Mario 3D World (No WiiU makes this difficult..)

ScruffMcgruff

Neo Member
1. Bioshock Infinite ; Fantastic story, immersive setting, beautiful art style, and reasonable gameplay made this a fun ride throughout.
2. DMC ; Great combat, enemy types and bosses. Also enjoyed the story.
3. The Legend Of Zelda A Link Between Worlds ; Great new mechanical additions and overal fantastic encounter/dungeon design
4. The Last of Us ; Good story, amazing visuals, gameplay got repetitive.
5. Tomb Raider ; A fun play, awesome take on lara croft as a realistic female protagonist but overall didn't bring much new in gameplay or design

I'll only nominate 8

1. The Last Of Us ; People will look back at the media reaction to this game as the time video games went mainstream as legitimate entertainment for adults. I had friends who hadn't played games since space invaders borrow (and finally break) my PS3 and my copy of the game. Needless to say all the hype, plaudits and sales were thoroughly deserved.

2. Animal Crossing New Leaf ; Easily one of the most innovative things Nintendo has ever done. Perfectly executed and surprisingly deep. Also the only thing I've ever used my 3ds for ever. One of the few games to ever make me laugh out loud on a plane.

3. GTA V ; Probably the best GTA game ever and easily one of the most fun games to get lost in for hours at a time this year. Fantastic soundtrack too.

4. Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag (PS4) ; It is great fun to play, has Edward Kenway as a fantastic protagonist with has a interesting main storyline and looks absolutely gorgeous on the PS4.

5. Puppeteer ; One of the most underrated games of the year. Anybody that claims to hate the focus of mainstream gaming needs to play this right now. It is gorgeous, challenging, funny and about as good a platformer as Sony have ever made. They're idiots for not pushing this back as a PS4 launch title. Playing it in 3d at 1080/60 would have been stunning.

6. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon ; One of the funniest things to come out of a mainstream publisher. The next time somebody disses Ubisoft, this game should be exhibit A for why they're they best big publisher around. I'm a sucker for all things 80s and everything about this game was perfect. The music, the Michael Beihn, the cheesy comicbook cutscenes, the blood dragon's dialog, the color palette ... I could go on and on and on. As a celebration of 80s action movies, they couldn't have done any better. Funnily enough I didn't even like the original Far Cry 3 game.

7. God Of War Ascension ; The haters are so wrong. This game looked like a next gen game at times with a story that was more coherent than GOW 3 and a Kratos that was actually somewhat sympathetic. The changes to combat were actually positive because they made it more challenging and rewarded skill. The final level and the last boss fight are some of the greatest set pieces of the generation. People that can praise Demon Souls for being hard (while controlling like most games' swimming sections) should give this a shot - it actually controls well and the game is hard but fair.

8. Bioshock Infinite ; The gameplay was meh but the story and the worldbuilding were pretty fantastic. The metaphor for certain segments of the society in modern day America was well timed and deep. This is another game I think would have been better off as a next gen launch title.

Fjordson

1. Grand Theft Auto V ; Pretty easy choice for me. I think this is far and away Rockstar's best game. It has everything GTA usually has in spades (an interesting and insanely detailed world, great writing, etc.) but they now have the mechanics to back it all up. The on-foot and combat controls are light years ahead of GTA IV and make missions with a lot of action a total blast. And that wasn't the only much- appreciated improvement over past games. The fantastic ambient score, the ability to control a trio of characters, the improved checkpointing, the stranger missions from Red Dead. It's quite simply Rockstar at the top of their game, taking cues from all of their past titles and fitting it all together perfectly in one package. A package that ends up being one of the best open-world games around.

2. Gunpoint ; I'm in love with this game. It's a bit difficult to properly explain its brilliant puzzle mechanics, but just a few minutes of watching someone play will say it all. A great hacking mechanic and thrilling stealth gameplay are the stars here, but the game is also surprisingly charming. It's chock-full of witty dialogue that pokes a bit of fun at the whole spy/espionage genre, while also managing to tell an interesting little story full of backstabs and shadowy double crossings.

3. Fire Emblem Awakening ; A late addition! Got a 3DS XL for Christmas along with this game and I haven't been able to put it down. I've only dabbled in strategy RPG's before, but I'm really into this one. It has a lot of depth and room for a variety of tactics in combat, yet at the same time it does a nice job of never overwhelming the player. Perfect point of entry for a Fire Emblem novice like myself. I also love the story and really enjoy seeing relationships build between characters. Such a lovable crew.

4. Shadowrun Returns ; Thank the gods for Kickstarter, eh? I've backed a number of big RPG's over the past year or so on Kickstarter and Shadowrun Returns kicked things off with a bang in my opinion. I'm a newbie to the Shadowrun universe and yet I still found myself completely sucked into it within the first few hours. It's a neat mixture of cyberpunk and fantasy and really does feel fairly unique. The game certainly isn't perfect with its linearity and annoying lack of manual saves, but the strong party-based combat and magnificent writing overshadowed those issues for me.

5. Bioshock Infinite ; Actually a little surprised by this slipping to number five. I was really impressed by the game as I watched the end credits roll by and was certain it would be up near the top of my end of year list. A solid shooter with yet another great world from Irrational, but I do feel it just slightly misses the bar that the first Bioshock set. It's odd to say since I think it has a better main plot and better combat, but there were some rather annoying encounters in certain spots that really stuck out and I do feel that Rapture reigns supreme over Columbia as a setting.

I just feel like I knew more about Rapture and its inhabitants at the end of the first Bioshock than I did about Columbia and its people at the end of Infinite. I wanted more backstory and more lore. The world felt slightly "thinner" than Rapture for lack of a better term. But even with all that being said, I still had a great experience with Infinite and it's absolutely a worthy sequel to the first game.

I'll only nominate 7

1. The Last Of Us - People will look back at the media reaction to this game as the time video games went mainstream as legitimate entertainment for adults. I had friends who hadn't played games since space invaders borrow (and finally break) my PS3 and my copy of the game. Needless to say all the hype, plaudits and sales were thoroughly deserved.

2. Animal Crossing, A New Leaf - Easily one of the most innovative things Nintendo has ever done. Perfectly executed and surprisingly deep. Also the only thing I've ever used my 3ds for ever. One of the few games to ever make me laugh out loud on a plane.

3. GTA V - Probably the best GTA game ever and easily one of the most fun games to get lost in for hours at a time this year. Fantastic soundtrack too.

4. Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (PS4) - Its great fun to play, Edward Kenway is a fantastic protagonist, has a interesting main storyline and looks absolutely gorgeous on the PS4.

5. Puppeteer - One of the most underrated games of the year. Anybody that claims to hate the focus of mainstream gaming needs to play this right now. It is gorgeous, challenging, funny and about as good a platformer as Sony have ever made. They're idiots for not pushing this back as a PS4 launch title. Playing it in 3d at 1080/60 would have been stunning.

6. God Of War : Ascension - The haters are so wrong. This game looked like a next gen game at times with a story that was more coherent than GOW 3 and a Kratos that was actually somewhat sympathetic. The changes to combat were actually positive because they made it more challenging and rewarded skill. The final level and the last boss fight are some of the greatest set pieces of the generation. People that can praise Demon Souls for being hard (while controlling like most games' swimming sections) should give this a shot - it actually controls well and the game is hard but fair.

7. Bioshock Infinite - The gameplay was meh but the story and the worldbuilding were pretty fantastic. The metaphor for certain segments of the society in modern day America was well timed and deep. This is another game I think would have been better off as a next gen launch title.

Use semicolons.

Cheesemeister, you should just get "Use Semicolons" in the topic title.

Basically.

LGom09

1. The Wonderful 101 ; Charming, funny, deep combat. Haven't felt so much joy when playing a game in a long while.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Zelda in its purest form. Some of the best dungeons in Zelda history.
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Probably my most hyped game of the year, and it didn't disappoint. Really satisfying combat, awesome soundtrack, crazy over-the-top action.
4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ; An insane amount of interactivity in the environments. It's fun just to try stuff and see what happens.
5. Super Mario 3D World ; So much variety in level design. Not quite as magical as the Galaxy games, but still some of the most fun you can have platforming in 3D.
6. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team ; Really like the look of this game. Lots of interesting enemies to learn. Probably my favourite soundtrack of the year, too. Only downside is it's a little too handholdy at times.
7. The Swapper ; I liked the eerie atmosphere and the clever puzzles. A little on the short side.
8. The Last of Us ; Insane production values, great voice acting, interesting story. Wasn't a fan of the gameplay, though. Still have to give it a nod for the other stuff.
9. DmC: Devil May Cry ; Ehhh, one of the weaker Devil May Cry titles. Some really lame bosses. Still had fun playing through it though and I didn't hate Dante as much as others do. Cool level design as well.
10. Guacamelee! ; Still need to finish this, but I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

abrack08

1. The Last of Us ; Probably my favorite game of the generation, one of my favorite games of all time. It honestly started a little slow for me, after the first couple hours I thought it was decent but nothing special. But it just keeps getting better and better, and the whole ending sequence really stuck with me for a long time.

2. Bioshock Infinite ; I don't like first person shooters. I didn't like the first Bioshock. I LOVED this game. There are several other years this would have been my GotY, but it ran into a buzzsaw this year

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; This was really disappointing to me... when it was over. I don't really have any complaints other than that I wanted more. It's nice they removed the padding/bloat from the recent 3D Zeldas, but I feel this went a bit to far in the other direction. But I'm nitpicking, it was fantastic, some of the best Zelda dungeons ever.

4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; Really good. Loved Athena, Apollo was redeemed, it was great to see Phoenix in a mentor role, great prosecutor, judge was still hilarious, music is amazing, etc. Only problem was having the big twist in the final case spoiled for me, but that's not a knock on the game obviously

5. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; I was ready to be done with AC after 3. If you happen to dig up my ballot from last year, I definitely had AC3 on my list (and probably fairly high), but I hadn't beat the game yet. The ending was such a disaster I thought I was out on AC, then I saw the impressions for 4 on Gaf from people who liked the series but were disappointed with 3. Most of those people really liked 4, and I agree with them. I love the less serious, more conspiracy-ish current day story, and all the ship stuff is awesome. I love sailing around and exploring. The worst parts of the game are the same ol' Assassin's Creed battle system and jankiness. This really could be one of the best series out there if that stuff gets ironed out.

6. Shin Megami Tensei IV; This was the Year of Atlus for me. Other than Catherine, the first Trauma Center, and a couple hours of Devil Survivor, I don't think I had ever played a game made by Atlus before this year, and now they're one of my favorite developers. I haven't completed SMT4 yet, but I've put ~35 hours into it so far and love it, I think that's enough to put it on my list.

7. Pokemon Y ; Gotta catch 'em all. Love the 3D models of Pokemon, it even made me appreciate designs I originally hated, like Croagunk. I still think the old Croagunk artwork/sprite is atrocious, but it actually looks decent in 3D. Probably would have been higher if there were more new Pokemon, that's what I look the most forward to in new generations, so that aspect was disappointing. It was solid Pokemon-ing besides that.

8. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; Would be higher, loved this game. Hard to remember it came out this year, it was so long ago. Got knocked down a few pegs because it was so short, and the final boss made me want to throw my controller through my TV

9. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch ; Probably a victim of being one of the first games I played this year, maybe it should be higher. I sort of thought I was done with JRPG's, hadn't enjoyed one in a while, and this sort of rekindled my love for the genre, even if I can admit it has faults. The story is nothing special and the characters weren't great, but the art style and atmosphere is amazing. I liked the battle system too

10. Diablo 3 (PS3) ; This was my first Diablo game, it's great fun with a couple friends, and I much prefer it with the controller and not forced-online (I played the first act a few times in the PC Beta)

x. MLB The Show 13 ; I want to say that it's hands down the best annual sports game, but I don't ever play Fifa or NBA 2K.

x. Guacamelee ; Excellent Metroidvania style game, would definitely make the list in weaker years

2012. Persona 4 Golden ; I wish I had played this last year so it could have been my 2012 GotY. Definitely another one of my favorite games of all time, it's SO GOOD

EDIT: I lowered AC4 a few spots. Lost motivation to continue the story because the story missions are still not very good, and don't like the direction the current day stuff is headed after Sequence 10. Doesn't change the fact that the pirate stuff is awesome but it's gone from one of my favorite games of the year to something I'm struggling to finish off.

EDIT2: Raised AC4 a bit. It finished strong, unlike 3.

Grisby

1. The Last of Us; Hands down one of the best games I've played this generation. It started off slo and the first night area was a bit fugly but soon the game got it's claws in me and didn't let go. The game's mechanics are the star here and I loved the feeling of being strapped for ammo, hunted by some good AI. Everything else was just as good and the MP kept me playing for a long time. Well done ND.
2. Tomb Raider; CD did a damn fine job of making an atmospheric and fun shooter. Lara scrapped by on the ground and clung from mountains in search of a new area or upgrade. It was good stuff and one of the most mechanically sound games on this list. It felt good to be Lara as she stuffed pickaxes into dude's heads. I want another ASAP.
3. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen; The best combat of any RPG returned with a brand new area and kept me entertained for hours. Dark Arisen's new area kicked my ass to hell and back before I got the better of it. A sequel needs to happen.
4. Dragon's Crown; 2D DnD light RPG brawler. Beautiful art and a wide variety of character classes make up the rest of this engrossing fantasy game.
5. Remember Me; My surprise game of this year along with Brothers. While the game's combat wasn;t as polished like a Batman game it was decent and kept me entertained. No other game had such a beautiful rendered city this year and an interesting premise. The memory scenes made me feel
6. Brothers, A Tale of Two Sons; A short, but memorable game. It took a while to get use to the controls but it worked out for the best in the end. No real words arfe actually spoken during this game but it's left up to the visuals, pace, and puzzles to tell the tale. The puzzles were simple sure, but I didn't feel brain dead while I was performing them. A real surprise and such a joy, experiencing this game.
7. Soul Sacrifice; A huge time waster for me. Not the greatest looking game but it had fun mechanics with fast combat and a neat visual novel touch to it's story. I spent a long time killing monsters with other gamers and it was worth it. Save or Sacrifice? Can't go wrong with either.
8. Tearaway; Not the hardest game in the world but it had the most charm. Tearaway also had a unique visual style and some great music. The journey was something special and MM made good use of all the vita's functions. Was pretty touched by the ending too. Made me feel like I was playing an old Nintendo game with that special kind of polish.
9. Splinter Cell Blacklist; Ubi finally managed to blend classic SC with new SC. I ghosted almost all of the levels and Grimm;s missions were some of the most tense and exciting moments I've had this year. Losing Ironside was a blow but goddamn did I get my sixty dollars worth out of this game. Just a good time.
10. Dead Rising 3; My only next gen game on here and it's with good reason. The open city leads to some clog filled choppy good time zombie fun. The story was pretty decent and the co-op was a blast. DR3 is one game I'm going to remember fondly when looking back on the X1's launch.

So even if Danganronpa is ineligible, can I at least write something about it as a sort of "game I played this year" GOTY, even if it doesn't count toward anything? Already had something written up for it when I assumed fan translations would count. Guess I could theoretically post it next year when the game gets officially released in America (albeit the enhanced version), but I'd probably end up forgetting about it.

abrack08

So even if Danganronpa is ineligible, can I at least write something about it as a sort of "game I played this year" GOTY, even if it doesn't count toward anything? Already had something written up for it when I assumed fan translations would count. Guess I could theoretically post it next year when the game gets officially released in America (albeit the enhanced version), but I'd probably end up forgetting about it.

I would imagine if you posted it separate from/after your complete list it wouldn't matter. And/or you could put it in a quote, I think they said nothing inside quotes would count. Last year I put a list of "big" games I hadn't played yet, and I was thinking of adding "disappointing games" this year :p

1. The Last Of Us ; Hands down my game of the generation.

2. Tearaway ; Quite unique, which is commendable these day. A game with irresistible charm, fun loving creativity, and a heart warming message. Tearaway deserves every bit of attention and love it's earned.
3. Beyond Two Souls ; Opposed to popularly belief this game is exceptional. The only game this year, with the exception of TLOU, where after I sat through and beat it in 2 sitting I started a new game immediately. Beyond two Souls is prone to the occasional bug, and the story itself isn't nearly perfect, but those things will not distract you from the absolutely gorgeous display Beyond offers and immerses you in. I would like to add in, the acting of Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page was astonishing.
images

4. Stick it to the Man ; I wasn't expecting to love this game as I did, despite my moderate hype. As distinct of a game I've played, the story and puzzles are one of a kind. I'm not to embarrassed to mention this game put a smile on my face on quite a few occasions. An undeniable charm sets this game apart, and catapults it to a legit GOTY nominee. - I played the vita version, and as good as this game is, it wasn't without the occasional minor bug.
5. Hotline Miami ; Allot can be said about this game, but really, DAT SOUNDTRACK.
6. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon ; Lasers, Dragons, Ass-Kicking. Summed it up in one word, Badass.
7. Dead Space 3 ; Love the series, enjoyed this game. Shame it gets criticized as it does. Crafting weapons, and the universal ammo, two features I can always get behind.
8. Injustice Gods Among Us ; Not much of a fighting game guy, but I can get behind some casual play now and then. I got to play as Raven, and slap deathstroke and batman around. Legit favorite fighting game.
9. Payday 2 ; Robbing banks with 3 buddies never felt so good. Despite losing its luster relatively quick, this game was a blast and can't wait to return when more heist are released!
10. Resogun ; Fun, smooth and sexy. Everything I could want in a crisp little package. Did I mention it is free?! This game is a blast. Regrettable I never got to experience this game co op, yet anyway.

2012. Persona 4 Golden

x. Puppeteer ; It is to my great displeasure that I haven't gotten around to playing this game yet. I'm just short of a 100% that it would be in my top 5 atleast.
x. Killzone: Shadows Fall ; If the last 3 hours of this games campaign wasn't the worst 3 hours of any video game I've ever played, bet your ass it would have made the list. Multiplayer is on KZ2 level.

1. Fire Emblem Awakening; When I first heard about Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, I thought such a crossover made no sense at all, I didn't see how those 2 properties really fit together. But now that I've played 200+ hours of Awakening it seems like a match made in heaven. Fusing demons to create a new, more powerful demon who inherits their traits is cool, but choosing from a cast of great characters which ones you would like to marry each other so they can, through the power and beauty of sex, fuse a super warrior baby with their combined skills, is even cooler.

I've played every game in the series since the gba titles, and I don't hesitate in saying this one is the best I've played. It's not just the great cast of characters and their fun interactions with each other, the classic Fire Emblem gameplay is enhanced by modern improvements like increased customization options, streetpass features, and DLC. It's great to be able to just pick an enemy from the map for a short skirmish when taking a bus ride, or to reclass your character so that new skill combinations can be tested and their stats can continue building. It's awesome to be able to make an Avatar for yourself, and to fight and recruit favourite heroes from older games. You can max out the stats of the Lady of the Lance, Nephenee from Path of Radiance... and then add her to your crew, things are that customizable!

I'm so glad this wonderful game did well and thus more Fire Emblem is likely in the future. Can't wait for SMTxFE or whatever comes next. Oddly I find myself thinking alot of PersonaQ and hoping against hope that Atlus will take note of the support system in Fire Emblem. Obviously PQ won't feature the dating sim style school stuff of persona, its going to be more of an Etrian Odyssey style game with Persona characters...But if they would just break up the dungeon crawling by having those Persona 3 & 4 chibis build social links with each other through fighting together, that would be wonderful! Just think what Chie might say to Akihiko? And what kind of "punch + punt" combo attack they might do! Imagine Kanji getting along with Aegis, or Junpei trying to impress Yukiko! Fingers crossed!

An unfortunate side effect of the games quality is that it was so good I didn't take it out of my 3DS since I first put it in around July. Thus I haven't played some serious contenders for game of the year like the much praised Link between Worlds...Sorry Zelda! But that just proves how fun the game's world, characters, and battle system are!
2. The Last of Us; The Last of Us is the kind of touching masterpiece you thought big budget AAA games were going to be, when you were naive and hopeful. Characters stronger than the years best films, a world so brilliantly realised you are sucked in completely, art design and animation of the absolute highest calibre, and the best story in a game since...Planescape Torment, I guess? With an ending that really resounds in your mind, making you think about the nature of humanity and where the world is heading. The only problem is the strongest parts of the game are not the game part.

The gameplay is definitely good. It's not just some shooter for starters, so thats big points right there. The stealth combat works, and works especially well within the context of the world, showing you just how harsh this world is, and how brutal Joel has to be to be a survivor. It can be satisfying, certainly, but not very pleasant. Not particularly fun. And of course thats the point - post apocalyptic deathscapes are meant to be stressful, but what that boils down to is that I was to some extent enduring the gameplay in order to see that world and what happened next. Full disclosure: I did play it all on hard mode because I heard it was too easy otherwise, but I don't think thats the issue here, I'm talking about the core mechanics of the gameplay, not the number of enemies and or weapons available. And I'm not saying it was bad, just how ended up enjoying Fire Emblem more.

Oh, and for the record? I would have played through a downright bad game to see the incredible tale of Ellie and Joel. Thank you, Naughty Dog.
3. Super Mario 3d World; Proof that great games don't sell systems after all, cause man oh man, is this good! Colour, creativity and fun from start to finish. Tanooki peach is so cute! Kuribo's skate makes me weep tears of joy! the post game levels are so brilliant! Great in multiplayer, for the chaotic action, and great in single player, for the challenging secrets! If you haven't played it yet, forget the wii remote and gamepad and make sure you pick up some pro controllers...You're going to need them for mario kart and smash bros anyway.
4. Ni No Kuni; Having loved a good jrpg in the previous generations, I awaited a lavishly produced jrpg in the HD era. I waited. And I waited. And I waited. FFXIII was beautiful to look upon, had an incredible soundtrack and certainly had the kind of apalling character dialogue one associates with jrpgs, but that constraining world didn't feel like an jrpg in the classic sense. Years later, I got the big and beautiful HD rpg I wanted in Ni No Kuni, or thought I wanted. Maybe its not just games that changed, but me too, because as I was grinding for better treats to feed my Puss-in-Bouts, I was grinding my teeth aswell! It seems I don't have the time anymore for such repetition as the game required, but the high points of the game were truly special and thats why it makes the list. The Feycare centre, the fairy standup routine, the zombie apocolypse, and some of the postgame bosses all made for amazing moments. The rich detail of the world, with its amazing range of characters and enemies, was heartwarming. And, yeah... I still hold out hope for HD jrpgs! Persona 5 will come out and make it all better.
5. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance; Yeah its a 5 hour game alright... But it's a fun 5 hours. The spectacle of the confrontation with Senator Armstrong at the end is the most Metal Gear-ish thing I've seen since Snake Matrix-dodged a chunk of roof that Grey fox carved out and bicycle kicked at him in Twin Snakes. Go ninja go ninja go!

Card Boy

Banned
1. Tomb Raider ; Amazing outside the QTEs, the new Lara model is superior to old one. Loved how it how it has lite Zelda elements where you get gear to pass certain areas.
2. Guacamelee! ; Destroys anything Konami and Nintendo have done for the Metroidvania genre for the past generation
3. Batman Arkham Origins ; Fucken amazing, give us a Green Arrow game already.
4. Path of Exile ; True free to play and half the fun is coming up with builds
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Abit easy but i loved it.
6. Pokémon X and Y ; Best Pokemon game yet.
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies ; No objections for this one.
8. Injustice: Gods Among Us ; Fucken great, loved DC VS Mortal Kombat and this is even better than that!
9. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon ; Better than all the numbered Farcry games.
10. Payday 2 ; A buggy start but is amazing now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't wait to see how many people still don't use semicolons even with it in the title.

I still have a few big games I need to get to...hard to make a list this year as I still need to figure out a lot of the ordering.

1. The Last of Us ; Brilliant, memorable game. Very strong all-around.
2. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn ; Charming MMO.
3. Football Manager 2014 ; Another entry for fantastic series.
4. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed ; hits all the right spots for a kart racer, pure fun
5. Rogue Legacy
6. Super Hexagon
7. Sanctum 2
8. Don't Starve
9. Skullgirls
10. Thomas Was Alone

x. NHL 14 ; EA has built a nice basis for this series and ice hockey excels in video game form, fun fun fun.
x. Super Mario 3D World ; seems wonderful, unfortunately I don't own a Wii U
x. Ys I & II Chronicles+ ; loved the original first Ys but haven't yet played the Chronicles one enough to rate it at top10. Could be in my top3 if I did though.

2012. XCOM Enemy Unknown ; simple, challenging, fun and rewarding game

N.Domixis

Banned
1. The Last of Us ; Gaf knows this one will win.
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; second best game this year. Loved the story. Online was alright.
Lol fixed

1. Rogue Legacy ; Roguelikes have never really "clicked" for me. I'm the sort of person who despises doing the same thing over and over again, and the promise of a game that punishes every death with a return to the boot screen is exactly the last thing I want to play. But Rogue Legacy manages to create a truly compelling Roguelike experience, with both a sense of real progression as you level up between rounds - and constant variety through the ever-changing castle layout. Add on top a flawless sense of control, a humorous narrative, and beautiful retro graphics - and it's the one game this year I couldn't find myself putting down.

2. BioShock Infinite ; Fuck the haters, BioShock Infinite is arguably the most impressive overall achievement in AAA gaming. Not just this year, but for this entire generation. Evolving upon the original's systems in just about every way, Infinite is the ultimate realization of what games can achieve as a popular medium. It's the action-packed blockbuster that fires on all cylinders, with ruthless action set in a world densely packed with both beauty and tragedy. Elizabeth is an amazing achievement in digital character design, writing, and gameplay implementation. Topped off with one of the most striking time-travel narratives in recent history, and I can't think of any major studio release this year that struck so close to the heart.

3. Gunpoint ; Style can be everything in the world of indie games, and Gunpoint is the definition of style. Smooth jazz scores every brutal kill, clever dialogue drives which missions you undertake, and even the control scheme feels smooth and effortless. While a techno-stealth game on the surface, Gunpoint is so much more. It's a game about finding creative solutions, exploring the different mission strategies, and disobeying even the game's core mechanics. People talked up The Stanley Parable for commentating on the reality of choice in games - but Gunpoint actually executes on that commentary, while being an actual game.

4. Super Mario 3D World ; Super Mario 3D World, I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am sorry for writing you off so early. When I first met you in that botched E3 Nintendo Direct, you seemed like the personification of disappointment. Rather than Galaxy 3, you were a multiplayer focused title that seemed to lack the visual punch of the past. But now that I've gotten some times to rub my hands all over you, I can realize all your brilliance. Your diverse array of clever one-off ideas & stage settings. Your nostalgia-packed soundtrack. Your stupidly brilliant (and brilliantly stupid) Miiverse integration. And your level design that marries accessible simplicity with twitch-reaction challenge. Can you forgive me, Super Mario 3D World? I promise to never doubt you again.

5. Grand Theft Auto V ; Rockstar knows how to do games big, and there was no bigger game this year than GTA V. It's an achievement of pure scope - the fact a game so physically massive, and remarkably detailed can even exist is a testament to every name on the 20-minute credit roll. Splitting the narrative between three protagonists is arguably one of the best decisions that the series has ever made, and the story that unfolds is an interesting tale of fatherhood, friendship, and organized crime. Driving through San Andreas is cathartic experience, nailing the mix of realistic visuals with outlandish action - and it all controls like a dream.

6. The Legend Of Zelda : A Link Between Worlds ; Confession - I have never played A Link To The Past. In fact, with the exception of Twilight Princess - I've never even finished a Zelda game. Not even OoT 3D was able to hold my attention for very long. Frankly, I only picked up A Link Between Worlds because I was able to get it for half-off. But goddamn if it hasn't left an impression on me. This is the twist on the standard Zelda formula that I've always felt an unconscious need for. The widened scope & nonlinear dungeon progression create a genuine feeling of exploration. Super-tight control, splendid 3D visuals, and a real killer score make this an easy game to love.

7. The Last of Us ; Naughty Dog's closeout to this generation is easily the most talked-about game of the year, and it's hard to not see why. They've put together the rare cohesive combination of cinematic narrative, and tense game play experience. The universe is dreary and well-realized, and the actors behind Joel & Ellie give unmatchable performances.

8. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ; Forget the other $15 FPS released by Ubisoft this year tangentially related to a larger franchise - Gunslinger is better. A realization of the all-digital dream, a cheap arcade FPS that could only exist as a 3-4 hour experience. Gunslinger is pulp western fiction come to life - a beautifully painted fantasy of the Wild West, twisting reality & imagination together. Great gunplay, a rewarding upgrade path, and the most delightfully stupid final twist this year.

9. Gone Home ; Misdirection is the sort of narrative tool that very rarely exists in modern entertainment. Everything is spoiled or over-advertised, to the point where you know how to feel about a product by the time you experience it. Gone Home is one of the best experiences of the year, but only during that one golden weekend immediately after release. When you just knew that it was critically praised, and controversial as hell. Diving into it blind might have cost me $18 (an ungodly price for what the game is) - but what I got out of it was undoubtedly among the year's top moments.

10. Saints Row IV ; Saints Row : The Third didn't do a lot for me. Sure the character customization was fun, but at it's core the action & driving felt dry. Uninspired. The comedy was great - but not great enough. Enter Saints Row IV. Tossing the last remnants of common sense out the window, Saints Row IV is less of an open-world game - and more of a feature-length parody that rips on everything from Mass Effect to InFamous to Streets of Rage. It looks better, it plays better, and it actually manages to make the standard side-activities appealing.

LTTP. Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward ; Engaging. Honest. Beautiful. The Zero Escape series has challenged my preconceived notions on how games can tell a story, and Virtue's Last Reward presents a character-driven sci-fi narrative within a game-changing format.

Honorable Mentions :
- The Stanley Parable ; Clever, subversive, and always surprising.
- Spelunky ; Shit, I don't even know if I like this game. Rogue Legacy completely sold me on roguelikes, and I've put in nearly 24 hours with Spelunky - so I think it's earned a name-drop here.
- The Walking Dead : Season 2, and The Wolf Among Us ; Neither are finished, but these two series' first episodes have convinced me that Telltale will continue their mastery of the adventure format into 2014.
- Just Cause 2 Multiplayer ; I can tie a plane to another plane, then have those two planes spin uncontrollably into a blimp-hoisted nightclub. Alienware.

1. The Last of Us ; Amazing graphics, amazing story, fun gameplay, great voice-acting. This is not only my favorite game of 2013, but my favorite game of all time.
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; Tons of fun and the 3 main-protagonists with the instant-switching between them really gave this franchise a breath of fresh air.
3. Bioshock Infinite ; I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed this game more than the original Bioshock.
4. Tearaway ; Such a fun and charming game. I couldn't stop smiling while playing it. Shame it did so poor in sales.
5. Tomb Raider ; Very fun game that reminded me of Uncharted (which I love).

I'll probably change it later on, depending on what I get from Steam Sales.

1. Animal Crossing New Leaf ; It's a tried-and-true concept, but there's enough endearing content here to make it feel new. The features added as a part of being the Mayor, combined with the expanded online capabilities (the Island), make this a sequel worth checking out. It was very tough to break out of the habit of playing every day, so I'm actually glad to have bought the physical version. Otherwise, I'd still be tempted to play it.

2. Grand Theft Auto V ; As someone who didn't care much for GTAIV (Episodes was okay), I was surprised how much I enjoyed GTAV. While it still had some writing issues, I enjoyed the greatly-expanded scope. The character switching mechanic worked surprisingly well, the world was huge and gave plenty of room for air travel, and the Heists were an intriguing way to proceed through the main story.

3. Saints Row IV ; I enjoyed Prototype, and I also enjoyed Saints Row the Third. Cue chocolate/peanut butter quote. Proper superpowers turned out to be a game-changing feature, since there's nothing quite like flying towards an enemy base, dropping a fireball to burn the guards, and taking out the rest with Robocop's gun. Between the shots taken at the silly mechanics in other games, the way it ties together the entire Saints Row saga, and the great music moments, SRIV was a total blast to play the whole way through.

4. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies ; Ace Attorney has finally made the jump to 3D, and it looks beautiful. An engrossing storyline is helped by the return of Phoenix Wright, the addition of Athena Cykes, and an entertaining rival, Simon Blackquill. All of these elements make for some interesting cases.

5. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; There are so many ways that this game succeeds, mostly due to the way the story switches gears early on, going from a straight-up dungeon-crawler to a more-open world with, more of a focus on side-quests to progress the main quest. The 3D exploration has you in visually interesting environments as you explore ruined areas, the 2D artwork in battle/negotiation looks fantastic, and the computer/technological elements look nice when they pop up. Most of all, it's nice to see another Shin Megami Tensei where your choices are tracked throughout determine what ending path you go on. Will you keep order as a Samurai, or will you start anew?

6. Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers ; This classic cyber-punk game finally reached US shores this year, and while the remake has some lingering issues, the core game still holds up surprisingly well. The storyline and characters are interesting, and the demon-battling/negotiating gameplay can be quite entertaining. This is backed by some rather unique dungeon designs and puzzles. Highly recommended for those who want to experience a lost gem from the PSX era.

7. Papers, Please ; There's nothing quite like spotting a simple mistake, like the incorrect spelling of a city, on a passport at the last second, putting away your stamps, and hitting the Detain button after pointing out the error. Sure, that poor soul might be the victim of a scam or a simple printing error, but it's better to assume that he or she is just a filthy criminal trying to sneak past the border with a poor forgery. After all, you have a family to provide for and a job to keep. Glory to Arstotzka.

8. Ys I & II Chronicles+ ; Bumpbumpbumpbump level up! This is the "latest" (i.e. a compilation of the 2001 PC remake and the PSP remake) version of the classic duology. While it lacks the TG-CD's infamous English dub, it makes up for it by featuring improved graphics and a more coherent localization, which even references later-released entries in the series. The bump mechanic is still a uniquely fast-paced battle system, and while Ys I is the weak link, the greatness of Ys II more than makes up for it.

9. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ; Probably the closest we've gotten to a full 3D modernized version of Sid Meier's Pirates! Compared to the plodding pace of last year's AC, the plot of Black Flag moves rather briskly, with some interesting characters sprinkled throughout, with non-assassin protagonist Edward Kenway standing out. But the real star of the show is the ship-based gameplay, as you move between capturing forts, taking down frigates, and simply sailing the Caribbean while listening to your crew sing a shanty.

10. Spelunky ; I've only gotten a small taste of what Spelunky has to offer, but much like FTL, the rapid-fire randomized rogue-like can be awfully addicting. The quick pace encourages you to keep trying in the hopes that maybe this run will be "the one." You might be riding high with your Jetpack and Shotgun, only to accidentally lose it all thanks to a rogue arrow or a spike trap that you mistimed. Yet you'll always come back to the caves. They always come back.

x. Cook, Serve, Delicious! ; I bought this for Android as soon as it released, and this is probably the game that's seen the most play on my Nexus 7. There's a ton of content, as your restaurant goes through 5 star levels while you do side jobs like catering and cooking shows. The touch controls are also pretty intuitive for the concept, allowing you to easily select ingredients or perform chores. Highly recommended if you have a decent phone or tablet.

x. Tomb Raider ; I can't say that I was a big fan of the old Tomb Raider series, I mean I played TR2 quite a bit, but I was never enthralled by it. This game changed that stance for the most part. An interesting blend of Metroidvania and stealth action, the gameplay turned out to be surprisingly intriguing, QTEs aside. While there could have been more tombs (platforming challenges), the core gameplay of sneaking around, finding collectables, and getting headshots with the bow, made enough of an impact to keep me hooked to the end.

x. Layton Brothers: Mystery Room ; The Layton series tries its hand at some Ace Attorney-style gameplay in this mystery story, complete with stylish arguments with witnesses and suspects. There's plenty to like about this game, as the main story threads are intriguing enough to encourage you to see the story through to the end, the localization is top-notch, and it's backed by a jazzy Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. Unfortunately, it has a nasty habit of being quite linear, as it pretty much doesn't take off the training wheels until the final case, but for only five bucks, it's a good value for such an intriguing mystery story.

x. Ittle Dew ; A surprisingly endearing combination of Zelda and Sokoban, with a nice 2D cartoon art-style, charming characters, and interesting semi-free-form gameplay that allows you to tackle the final challenges without going to all three dungeons.

x. Guacamelee ; This game is quite appealing on many levels, from the stylish 2D artwork to the catchy music. It certainly helps that it's rather funny and never takes itself too seriously (giant chickens just hangin' about). The gameplay is an interesting hybrid of Metroidvania and beat-em-up, though what kept it from making the list was that the controls, especially the dodge, seemed too unreliable.

2012. Euro Truck Simulator 2 ; If it was not technically released in 2012, this would have topped my list for 2013. At first, ETS2 seems like the most unlikely of great games, with its rather generic name that evokes images of budget farm/train/bus/lumber titles. Yet it manages to be great because it finds such a wonderful balance between deeply-rewarding gameplay and keeping said gameplay accessible enough to be picked up by newcomers. The phrase "it's like Elite with trucks" couldn't be any more accurate. You start off doing low-risk shipping jobs for employers, which allows you to become accustomed to the controls and explore the world. Eventually, you build up enough savings to qualify for a bank loan to start your own trucking business, taking on cargo contracts and hittin' the road. While there's the thrill of hitting the autobahn or manually parking the truck the first time, the stand-out feature actually ends up being the radio, which integrates real-life Internet radio streams into the game. This seemingly-minor feature ends up greatly enhancing the immersion, as it's one thing to truck across Germany, Poland, the UK, or France, but the experience reaches another level when you're listening to actual region-appropriate radio stations on the way.

REV 09

1. DOTA 2 ; I had never played a Moba before DOTA 2, but I was completely caught off guard at how addicting it was. The game is incredibly deep and satisfying.
2. Tomb Raider ; I loved Lara's progression through the story. The side characters were weak, but the overall plot was strong. The gameplay and gunplay were also top-notch.
3. Grand Theft Auto V ; This game runs like ass, but the writing is fantastic. It's easily my favorite GTA.
4. Bioshock Infinite ; I didn't always love the gameplay here, and the themes were inconsistent. In the end, I was captivated by Booker and Elizabeth and greatly enjoyed their journey.
5. Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag ; Edward is not my favorite AC protagonsist...actually the story here is mostly dull. I'd even say this is a bad AC game, but it's one hell of a pirate game. The ship combat and depth to all things on the sea is kind of amazing. I wasn't expecting the different gameplay elements to be as well implemented as they were.
6. Battlefield 4 ; The campaign was a major disappointment, but my god the mp is fantastic.
7. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; There are definitely not 10 games that released this year better than Brothers. It's my Limbo of 2013.
8. StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm ; I preferred this game's campaign to Wings of Liberty.
9. Ryse: Son of Rome ; I love the setting and the technical aspects of the game are excellent. The combat can get somewhat repetitive, but I was still left wanting more. This is my personal favorite next-gen exclusive.
10. Batman: Arkham Origins ; Although a step down from prior entries in the series, it's still fun to play and great overall.
X. The Last of Us ; I didn't get to play this masterpiece, but I did watch a playthrough on youtube. I had never done this before, but I didn't want to get spoiled during the GOTY discussions. Hopefully a ps4 version is announced soon. I can definitely appreciate the many praiseworthy comments that will be posted about this game.

rjc571

Banned
Well here's my top 10

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; Textbook example of how to improve a masterpiece.
2. Sayonara Umihara Kawase ; (Imported from Japan -> US) Near flawless technical platformer with one of the best learning curves of any game I've ever played. It becomes more and more enjoyable the more your skills improve.
3. Witch's Cat ; The spin-off to the outstanding Rabi Laby series mixes up the mechanics, but still brings the hardcore puzzle-platforming goodness in full force.
4. 3D Galaxy Force II ; So good that it will melt your face off. So good that I bought it on both of my 3DS's.
5. HarmoKnight ; Extremely solid rhythm game with outstanding (albeit repetitive) music, and tons of hidden depth and replay value. Really wish there were online leaderboards.
6. Mighty Switch Force 2 ; The first one was good, but they really took the puzzle solving to the next level in the sequel.
7. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ; Extremely impressive adventure filled to the brim with Nintendo magic.
8. Toki Tori 2+ ; I was a huge fan of the first Toki Tori, and while the sequel really turned the first game on its ear, it still scratches the same mind-melting puzzle-solving itch. An open world puzzle game? Who'da thunk it?
9. Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien ; The Vita version just came out and I've been playing it nonstop all day. It feels a bit bloated compared to the first Runner, but a worthy sequel nonetheless.
10. Typing of the Dead: Overkill ; What's more fun than shooting the crap out of zombies? Typing the crap out of zombies!
x. 3D Space Harrier ; Another outstanding 3D remake from Sega. Not as impressive as Galaxy Force, but the beautiful simplicity of this arcade classic still shines through.
x. 3D Super Hang-On ;

For my 2012 pick I wanted to vote for Rabi Laby Episode 3, which I imported on my Japanese 3DS as it hasn't been released in the US yet, but since it didn't receive any votes last year I guess I can't vote for it.

Timeaisis

Well, here we go. All in all, I think it's been a great year for games all around. My favorite underdog console, Wii U, got a great selection of contenders this year, while PS3, again, got a lot of exceptional titles as usual. The vast library of 3DS games in 2013 cannot be understated either, with the handheld occupying the majority of my gaming time this year.

1. Super Mario 3D World ; A phenomenal Mario platformer made by the brilliant EAD Tokyo. With remarkably creative level design, intelligent and fun new power-ups and chaotic yet rewarding multiplayer, it's hands-down my game of the year. If I went back in time and asked my 12-year old self what I wanted the future of Mario games to be, I think I'd come up with something like this. SM3DW has enough new mechanics to build five games around, but nothing overstays its welcome and every level is fresh, new and most of all fun.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; I didn't have ridiculous expectations for this game going in, but it delivered on so much of what I love about the Zelda series that it almost superceded 3D World as my GOTY. Sure, it was similar to everyone's favorite ALTTP. Sure, it didn't do anything that original or new (although the flatten mechanic was a particularly great addition). But it is one of the most polished and refined Zelda games I've played in years. One of the few games this year that was quite hard to put down.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD ; Three Nintendo games in the top three? And one of them is a remake? Yeah, that's weird even for me. While it's a 10-year old game at this point, WWHD made my personal favorite Zelda that much better, with beautiful HD graphics and some great new, albeit understated, features like Link selfies, Miiverse bottles (what a great idea), and smart GamePad integration.

4. Bioshock: Infinite ; I really loved every minute of this game (except for maybe the
ghost fight
near the end). I was absorbed in the story from the very beginning and personally the combat was pitch-perfect. Columbia was the main character for me, in all it's charms and wonders. While not as remarkable as the original Bioshock released almost five years earlier, Infinite really gave me that sense of wonder and awe once again of visiting a new world that is both familiar and different.

5. The Wonderful 101 ; I have a love-hate relationship with this game. At first, it was one of hate and frustration. But when one starts peeling back the layers of complexity to understand the the mechanics, the game starts to click. If it weren't for the frustratingly long learning curve, TW101 might be the best game experience all year. The creativity scale matches SM3D, and has it the variety to match. Controlling a group of 100 heroes is to form hilariously large weapons is an experience I've never had, and now I want more.

6. The Last of Us ; An emotional, thought-provoking journey with a strong cast of well-written characters, beautiful graphics, and a engaging story. TLOU doesn't do anything remarkably new with the action-survival genre, but it sure as hell polishes it to a mirror sheen. But then ago, I expect nothing less of Naughty Dog at this point.

7. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine ; I'm a sucker for wacky co-op hijinks, and Monaco surely delivers the goods. It's not the most refined experience out there, but it has one of the most unique premises in gaming, and executes on it remarkably well. The product here is an exciting, sometimes deep, hell of a good time with friends partaking in heist after heist.

8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; It's Animal Crossing on 3DS with a load of new features to suck even more of your free time away. What more can be said? It's very fun. That's what.

9. Pikmin 3 ; Actually my first foray into the Pikmin series, Pikmin 3 offers gameplay I did not expect to get on a console experience: that of strategy and tactics. A blend of real-time-strategy and puzzle, Pikmin 3 offers a unique gameplay experience that plays to the Wii U's strengths.

10. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ; Luigi's Mansion isn't the most exciting concept, but it's nothing if not charming. Everything about the game is a joy to play from the simple, yet fun puzzle-solving to the engaging ghost-hunting mechanics. Dark Moon is a fun adventure game that never takes itself too seriously.

x. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance ; I enjoyed my time with this game, but it didn't quite have the impact as it did on others. Fun, exciting combat on top of a convoluted story (even for a Metal Gear game) makes this memorable, but not quite top 10 material. The boss fights, however, were epic. Literally.

x. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team ; A solid, usually funny RPG that is hampered only by slow pacing in the last act.

x. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn; Rekindled my faith in Final Fantasy (albeit temporarily) while bringing me back into MMO gaming. Not something I'm keeping up with, like others, but I am likely to be reeled back in with future updates. The progression works surprisingly well, even for someone who's been away from MMOs as long as I have.

x. Pokemon Y; It's Pokemon in 3D. Not many changes other than a third dimension to the beloved franchise, but enough new-ness to make me thoroughly enjoy my time with it. And it has huge amount of Pokemon.

2012. Kid Icarus: Uprising; What an amazing game this is. Took me all year and a few friends to convince me to finally give it a whirl, but I'm glad I did. Might have been my GOTY 2012 if I had played it back then.

And before anyone asks why the apparent lack of Fire Emblem...I must concede that I never beat it, and I can't bring myself to place a game that I haven't yet completed (unless it's an ARR or Animal Crossing, for obvious reasons).

Idioteque

1.The Last of US; Best story ever told in videogames.
2.Super Mario 3D World; Great game that would have had an even bigger impact if Nintendo hadn't been releasing Mario games ever damn year.
3.The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds; First Zelda game I've enjoyed since OOT.
4.Grand Theft Auto V; Never thought I'd make it so far into a GTA game.
5.Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon; Wish more AAA games would get spin offs like this.

Honorable Mentions:
X.Splinter Cell: Blacklist;
X.Bubsy 3D;
X.Runner 2;

1. Rogue Legacy ; The best grind-fest platformer with fantastic visuals, great gameplay concept, and a damn good feel of accomplishment when you don't die every five minutes.
2. DMC - Devil May Cry ; My first Devil May Cry experience. With great artistic design, rocking soundtrack, and fantastic controls, this game blew my goddamn mind.
3. Charlie Murder ; I'M IN A GRAVE I'M ON A ROLL CEMETERY GO GO GO
4. Bioshock Infinite ; The story is great, Columbia is a setting full of life, and the ending was so pretentious even I liked it.
5. Rocksmith 2014 ; The sequel to one of my favorite games of all time. Every single aspect was improved, the song selection is really good, and playing "Every Breath You Take" is always a good time.
6. Animal Crossing - New Leaf ; I had a life before this game.
7. Hotline Miami ; I played one single stage for 6 hours because I kept messing up. I messed up. Not the game, not the controller, I messed up. This game expects you to play it right, to master the game mechanics, and to be the best fucking assassin you can be.
8. Pokemon X ; It's Pokemon, except more Pokemon than the other Pokemon games. And that's a good thing.

boingball

1. Tearaway ; Media Molecules first (and unfortunately also last) Vita game will become probably the best game ever no one played unless it sees a release on the PS4. I was sceptical whether MM would not go overboard while making use of all of the Vita's gimmicks, but they proved me wrong. None of them feel forced, Iota is another landmark design (Sackboy being their first) and the game is extremely well-crafted and a joy to play.
2. The Last of Us ; Just before the next-gen consoles hit Naughty Dog released a new IP. Incredible what those guys squeezed out of the PS3.
3. GTA V ; GTA returns back to form. Could have been easily GOTY as well, though I deduct points that Rockstar did not revisit Vice City or San Fierro during this generation
4. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus ; Insomniac still has it. A fantastic R&C game. Unfortunately a little bit on the short side, otherwise it may have been another contender for my GOTY
5. Ni No Kuni ; Took a long time for the PS3 to get a JPRG in the vain of Dark Cloud or DQ VIII. Ni No Kuni has its flaws but it is a very good game and is this high because I am starved for good JPRGs.
6. Sly 4 ; Sly 4 should have topped R&C, since this game is technically as good as R&C but longer. Unfortunately I am a slightly bigger fan of R&C than of Sly, not to mention that I love R&Cs crazy weapons. Hopefully we will see Sly 5 somewhere down the line on the PS4.
7. Beyond Two Souls ; I like the games by David Cage and I like what he is trying to achieve. Sad to see that this game did not enjoy the same success as Heavy Rain. Might be the most important and most influential game of this year.
8. Puppeteer ; This game gives me hope that Japan Studio is back.
9. Disgaea D2 ; Laharl is back. Nuff said.
10. Rayman Legends ; Gorgeous visuals and a great platformer.
x. Remember Me ; One of the best settings for a game ever. If only the game were a little bit better it would have easily made my Top 10
x. Tomb Raider ; Nice return to form for Lara but just fell short of the Top 10
x. GoW: Ascension ; Good game but a step down from earlier GoW games. It could have been great if they would have stayed put and not tried to jump on the online MP train. Kratos probably needs a vacation now.
x. Saints Row IV ; Volition makes good games, but they cannot craft worlds like Rockstar. Also they think they make a game testing boundaries, but they are a distant second to Rockstar there as well. Could have had a crack at the Top 10 if they hadn't re-used so many assets from III.

Xilium

1. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn ; For me, XIV:ARR doesn't really do anything that is especially mind blowing for it's genre. Unlike with their first attempt at this game, SE decided not to try and reinvent the wheel with ARR, and instead opted to simply take what people like from other MMOs, combine that with the job system from their previous MMO/games, and finally combine that with the lore and setting of a Final Fantasy game. So while the game is ultimately a very traditional MMO, it's a very well done one and more importantly, it doesn't have any glaring flaws that are typically present in MMOs that try to veer too far from the traditional path. The game is just fun. It's very rare for me to bother leveling a class to max level and while it is easier to do so in this game than some others, I've not only leveled a combat class to max level but also two gathering classes and in ~2 weeks, I'll have maxed out all the crafting classes, of which there are 8 (and I have NEVER gotten a crafting class in any other MMO even halfway leveled to max). I still predominately play the game solo except when necessary to group (dungeons and fates in this case), as is my traditional way of playing MMOs so I appreciate that the game allows for my to play that way, despite it not being the most efficient way to play/level. Long story short, this is the game that I've had the most enjoyment playing this year and I hope that with it having a subscription model, that they can keep larger content packs rolling in on a regular schedule to extend the longevity of the game (which tends to be an issue I have with F2P model MMOs).

2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ; I'm sort of cheating with this pick. Dragon's Dogma was my GOTY last year so for me, Dark Arisen is just an expansion. But I really like Dragon's Dogma. This expansion turned the game into more of a dungeon crawler than the more open world gameplay of it's base game. They added some new locations, enemies, loot, spells, ect. to make it feel like a legit expansion and the new area ratcheted the difficulty up a bit from the vanilla game. All said though, it's mostly just more Dragon's Dogma which I'm perfectly OK with.

3. Saints Row IV ; I don't really have much to say about this game, I just like Saints Row. It's one of the few sandbox/open world games I like (the other being New Vegas. May give GTA V a shot if/when it comes to PC) and I suppose that may be largely due to how it just doesn't take itself seriously.

4. DmC: Devil May Cry ; This is a game that apparently traditional DMC fans hate but for whatever reason, this game worked for me where the previous entries didn't. I actually like the new Dante, I liked Kat and Virgil, I liked the level design, the general theme of the game, and the designs of many of the enemies. The only thing I wish was different was that the Angel/Demon weapons were more just a choice between combat preferences (weak but rapid attacks vs. slow but strong attacks) and not something that is required to beat certain enemies. All in all, I really enjoyed the game.

5. Tales of Xillia ; My only real issues with this game are A) None of the character's combat styles really resonated with me. Jude was my favorite when fighting a boss or a single enemy but when fighting groups of mobs, I just wasn't feeling it (typically just ended up going with Elize) and B) Really didn't care for either of the main characters (Jude and Milla). Beyond that it's a pretty good Tales game and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

6. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix ; It's an improved version of Kingdom Hearts. It would have been cool if they went all the way with it and brought in all the improvements they made in KH2 but whatever, I love the game.

7. Fire Emblem Awakening ; I'm honestly not as high on this game as many others are. To me, it's just another Fire Emblem game with a waifu simulator tacked on. That said, while I don't think the marriage system (or the dialogs between couples) were especially interesting, I didn't dislike them. The pairing and skill systems also made it really easy to create broken characters/teams and steamroll through the game (this game was a lot easier than previous FEs). Despite all that, it's still a Fire Emblem game at its core and while it may not be one of my favorite entries in the series, it's still a pretty darn good game.

8. Magic 2014 ; This is mostly just my go to game whenever I'm sitting around in an airport or hotel. Not a whole lot has changed from it's last iteration other than the addition of sealed play, which I personally don't care for. That said, it is my defacto time waster game and I enjoy my time playing it.

Seda

The following is not really a 'favorite games of 2013'. It’s most just a ranking and commentary of the games that I've played this year even if some I largely didn't care for. The rank itself isn’t very important. Anyways:

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; It wasn't long ago that I had no familiarity with the Shin Megami Tensei series or any of its spinoffs. In 2012, I jumped into Nocturne head first, after hearing tons of praise for the game. To be concise here, I'll just state that Nocturne ended up being one of my absolute favorite games I've ever played. With rock solid mechanics and battle system, a stylish setting, mood, and presentation, moderate difficulty, interesting dungeon layouts and design, and a compelling yet subdued narrative, it's difficult to express what I didn't like about it. When SMTIV was announced, it easily became a highly anticipated title for me.

SMTIV had a very high ceiling of expectation, and it probably never had a chance to reach it. Even still, as you can see, here it is at the top of the list as my GOTY. First I'll start with how SMTIV was similar to Nocturne, which mostly comes from the basic fusion mechanics, battle system, and world exploration. Just like Nocturne, you get a main playable character that you can build pretty much however you'd like, and a team of demons to support him. Being able to build your own party in battle is easily the most enjoyable part of the series for me. You converse with demons, and either through trial and error or if you are familiar with other games in the series, you learn their personalities and attempt to persuade them to join you. Then you can fuse any number of demons in a large variety of ways. You have to keep track of weaknesses, abilities, and attacks to try and keep a balance as you progress through the game so you can counter whatever is thrown your way. One aspect of SMTIV that I quite appreciated was the improved number of 'slots' you could get for demons. It might just be the collector in me, but I enjoyed not only making sure I had 4 battle ready demons, but a variety of effective 'back ups' that I could substitute in and out whenever I needed to. Tinkering and playing around and watching my team of demons get stronger with better abilities (and eventually up to some of the series big name demons) was incredibly satisfying. The battle system is mostly the same Press Turn system the series is known for, with only some small changes (from games I am familiar with anyway), such as 'smirking' which benefits the player for getting element effective hits. Just like with most menu based battle systems, planning your moves - attacks, heals, and buffs - and learning your enemies and how to counter them is key to success. A couple of changes were added to make the game more 'friendly', such as saving anywhere, picking abilities to retain after fusion, and allowing the main character to fall in battle. I don't feel too strongly about changes like that - perhaps it lowered the feeling of tension in the game, which could be seen as a negative.

Other aspects in which SMTIV differed from Nocturne include having a quest list that you could obtain at set locations, usually involving a fetching of items, or defeating a particular set of event battles. While I don't think the quests detract all too much from the game, I felt that it wasn't a useful addition. I also didn't care much for the world map, which felt more constrained than I wanted it to. The narrative tone is quite different as well, SMTIV features a set of characters that remained with the protagonist/player for extended periods of time, which facilitated a more outward approach to the narrative. In Nocturne, that story mostly unfolds as you play as the silent protagonist who bumps into demons or other characters as you explore devastated Tokyo. It was a much be subdued manner in which a story was placed in the game. SMTIV had a lot more dialogue in general, and the cast of characters, I felt, wasn't nearly as interesting as the characters in Nocturne. Finally, SMTIV's setting and mood is much different, much lighter, than Nocturne, which put simply, I didn't care much for.

All in all, the battle system was rock solid and the fusing was as addicting as ever. All the key gameplay was there, so a couple of disappointing changes to the narrative and characters aside, I had a blast with the game.

2. Fire Emblem Awakening ; If I had to pick one 'series' as my favorite, Fire Emblem would be my answer. Mechanically speaking, it is a relatively simply SRPG series. You get variety of characters who are a variety of classes, you place some on a map against a group of enemy characters, and you have to coordinate your units to take them out effectively. Of course, you have to be sure none fall, because you can't use them again if they do. Unlike other SRPGS, you cannot recruit more units, and you cannot reclaim fallen units back if you clear the level fast enough. You are only given so much to work with, and you have to make the best of it. In a nutshell, that's what I love most about the series. A sense of working within your limits, trying to figure out how to distribute EXP among your team, buying what equipment you must with what cash you have, and making sure you build a team that can survive a variety of situations. Second to that comes the strategy gameplay of course, working your units in sync on interesting maps to avoid having one fall as you complete the objective. In addition, I love the setting of the series in general - a good mix of fantasy and medieval. Fire Emblem Awakening manages to hit some of these general statements, and falls second in my list.

However, FEA incorporates a number of elements that prevent it from joining my favorite Fire Emblem titles. Corresponding with the aforementioned, I much prefer the chapter-to-chapter style found in titles like ‘Fire Emblem’ and ‘Path of Radiance’, where there is a limited amount of EXP to obtain that you have to manage that carefully. Awakening, having the world-map and removing the limits on EXP and character use removes the things I enjoyed best about the series. It didn’t sit well with me in ‘Sacred Stones’ and it doesn’t here either. Sometimes I have a difficult time articulating why I dislike this. I think the best way for me to answer that is I find it much more satisfying to complete the levels knowing that it was working the strategy and decision making that ‘won the battle’. Being able to exploit infinite EXP and money to strengthen your party in between missions throws the balance off. Some might say to simply avoid those aspects of the game, but even still, the game was designed with that in place, and ignoring it does not really feel the same as working within the limits of the chapter system – feel more artificial than what I like.

In addition the pairing system did little for me as well; I much prefer the old fashion support systems. Generally speaking, comes down to that it feels more restricting than past games. Supports in past games were very useful of course, but units could still be effective independently if they needed to be, or if they were 'grouped' with other units outside of their 'supports'. Just because I had Soren support with Ike didn’t mean I had to have him near Ike all the time if there were situations where it made more sense to have Soren either work with other units or perhaps by himself. In Awakening, it eventually comes a point where units had to be paired up to be effective and I suppose I felt that restriction limited how I could approach the maps and use my characters. That the game also seemed to ramp up the otaku pandering didn’t sit with me well either. Maps were also less interesting than past games - a lot more open fields, which removed the level of creativity that can be incorporated into unit placement and such. Finally, FEA’s characters to me felt a bit shallower than past games, especially the Radiance game, usually revolving a trait that felt gimmicky.

Now I know I just spent two paragraphs criticizing things I didn’t like about Awakening, but all in all I did enjoy the game. I am probably more vocal in my criticism than usual because I do hold the series to a high regard. Most of the SRPG gameplay is still rock solid, and the satisfaction of clearing a difficult map is still a great feeling. But there were a number of changes or additions made that I’d prefer not to be there in the next installment.

3. Ys: Memories of Celceta ; Ys: Memories of Celceta plays quite a bit different than the other games in the series that I am familiar with. I am aware that it is an extension of the gameplay and systems found in Ys Seven, a title I have yet to play, with a party system and a handful of playable characters, and similar guarding and ability systems. I tend to enjoy games with multiple and varied playable party members because I enjoy trying out the various characters and learning how to effectively use them and their skills and abilities in combat. Celceta is no different. Some monsters are more vulnerable to certain weapons than others, so swapping party members around is beneficial. The gameplay is fast paced like Ys titles tend to be and the boss encounters are extremely fun, and can definitely provide an adequate challenge on the higher difficulties. The game feels pretty fluid in general, even the general pace the on-screen character moves on the maps is brisk. Warp points are also fairly frequent, so back tracking is largely a non-issue.

The general structure of the game is fairly simple. You have a half dozen or so towns, an interconnected maze of paths that connect the towns, and a few dungeon areas scattered about as well. Typically the player will encounter a story event in a town, find the path to the dungeon, clear it and repeat. The dungeons aren’t especially impressive in their designs and puzzles, but most are solid enough and interesting enough to not drag or feel like filler.

While I love how Celceta plays in general, I suppose my general criticism of the game is that it feels very ‘typical’ in many regards. I already stated that the structure of the game is pretty standard, but also the characters and narrative. The story isn’t terrible or insulting, but it’s not very interesting either, and to go along with that, there’s a lot more dialogue than other games in the series. I wouldn’t say it takes much away from the games, but it doesn’t add much either. While the combat is strong, Celceta otherwise feels more homogenized, more like a ‘typical’ JRPG. That said, if you think JRPGs are bogged down with grinding, random battles, and turn-based systems, then Celceta might interest you as it’s largely free of those things. It can be bogged down a bit by the dialogue, however.

4. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers ; I purchased this at launch this year, hoping to get around to it before SMTIV hit. Somehow that never happened and it’s been on my backlog for half the year. I think this game was my biggest surprise for the year. I thought it would feel too old or too different, and I guess I wasn’t all too excited for it despite recently becoming a fan of the SMT series. But needless to say I enjoyed it a lot.

Soul Hackers uses a round-based battle system rather than a more usual press turn. Instead of deciding on each demon attack’s independently, you choose all the rounds actions and then the round proceeds in order of agility. On top of that, you have 6 participants in battle, two main characters and 4 demons, with a front and back row. This is the first SMT game I’ve played that had positioning matter in battle, even slightly, and while I don’t think I can say I prefer it or not to what SMTIV has, I did appreciate the contrast in gameplay. As mentioned before, demons have personalities now that affect their loyalty to you in battle, depending on what you have them do. Some demons love to heal and some love to cast magic, etc. I didn’t really have much issue balancing a team of ‘personalities’ that worked. And on that note, this is the first SMT game I’ve played where demons do not gain exp, which felt awkward for a while, even though I am aware that this trait is shared in other older games in the series. ‘Fuse and forget’ is often a quick bit of advice given for SMT, and it is especially true here. A solid entry of the Megaten series with a fun setting, satisfying dungeon crawling, nifty music, and a fair amount of customization in how your build your team.

One part of Soul Hackers that I liked more than SMTIV was the cyberpunk-esqe style to the mood and narrative, as well as the characters in general. I think it really helped that there wasn’t the typical ‘Law’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Chaos’ ciphers blabbing at the player character. The companions that you spoke with felt more natural and believable than those in SMTIV. The story was slightly more interesting to me as well, maintaining a simpler focus.

The game is very short, which was slightly disappointing, and also felt easier than SMTIV in a lot of ways. The main reason why I placed Soul Hackers underneath SMTIV in my ranking is that demons in general felt more ancillary. Most of my damage output was done by the main character and Nemissa, and she also performed 80% of the healing. I usually used demons for buffs, but for the most part they were interchangeable. I felt like I didn’t need to be too careful about the demon line up because the main duo was so effective. Heck, the demons often felt like dummy targets just to keep the enemies busy. In SMTIV, the selection of demons felt to have a much more immediate effect on the battles, and thus was more important to coordinate properly. I had to be more careful in how I built the party where that wasn’t the case in Soul Hackers.

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; It’s been a while since a 2D Zelda has grabbed me. Both the DS entries disappointed me greatly, although I suppose that’s not an uncommon opinion. While I don’t have the nostalgia for Link to the Past like others might, I was certainly interested in A Link Between Worlds, hoping this would be the 2D title I’ve been waiting for.

Simply put, it’s a very solid game. You're given a lot of freedom in exploring the overworld, looking for Heart Pieces and Maiamai’s, which was the most enjoyable part of the game. Once you land in Lorule and the training wheels are removed, that's when the game was at its best. Dungeons were shorter and more simple in general, but still provided a satisfying puzzle element - felt fresher to have the main puzzle item before entering the dungeon. I would have appreciated a perhaps more complex final dungeon (or two) where you have to use all the items at Link's disposal.

I think the paradigm change of having all items available was a neat idea and a breath of fresh air, but I do not think it should be used again in the next title, not without changes anyway. I missed the progression of having dungeons become more and more complex, and that is an element that I think needs to be looked at if they want to maintain a formula akin to what this game used with respect to the items. Also, the items were relatively cheap considering how many rupees you obtain in the game, so I found myself with all the items early on, which also kind of messed with the progression. The game is also so much better on Hero mode, which unfortunately is locked to a second playthrough. The game is too easy otherwise, with plenty of fairies or other healing options available.

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD ; The Wind Waker is my least favorite 3D Zelda game. The segmented overworld, basic dungeon designs and lack of dungeons, as well as the Triforce quest of course always kept it out of my favorites, despite the wonderful music, artstyle, and maybe the best Link/Zelda/Ganondorf trio in the series. When the HD port was announced I was certainly curious to see what they could do to improve the game.

The improved sail speed and shortened animations sequences – such as the Wind Waker songs and grappling hook - alone dramatically improve the game. It’s a very simple change, but those small things reduced the tedium greatly and I definitely appreciated it. Exploring the Great Sea was no longer as frustrating as it used to be, changing the wind frequently and watching the same sequences again and again. The Triforce quest tweaks also helped a fair amount, although the flow of the game still feels broken at that point. The convenience of using the gamepad to switch items around cannot be understated either.

I love the visual change to the game. I was hesitant at first like many, because on some color changes and I still think the sky is a little too neon-blue at times, but otherwise the improvements in lighting and shadows I grew to love. While Wind Waker is still probably ranked last for 3D Zeldas in my mind, I do consider it a good title, and the HD version in the definitive version to play.

7. Splinter Cell Blacklist ; I won’t say as much about this game, and looking back on my list it kind of sticks out from the rest, haha. But I really enjoyed what Splinter Cell had to offer. Unlike other Ubisoft games that put a lot of focus into ‘filling bars’ like Assassin’s Creed or Far Cry, Splinter Cell tends to avoid that…somewhat. I think the game had pretty well implemented stealth that fans have been asking for. The levels are well enough designed that there are plenty of ways to stay silent/undetected has you clear an area of enemies – which is always satisfying to do, but the game isn’t as ruthless as some earlier games which punished the player heavily for failing to be stealthy. Some people might say that is /not/ a good thing, but I dislike having to redo a section because I was caught for a brief second. Let me effectively ‘go loud’ for a moment and let me continue on. Compared to Conviction, I think Ubisoft did much better with the stealth elements mostly with regard to the level design, but keeping some of the combat aspects there in balance. The shooting mechanics are a bit better than Conviction too, although the controls did take some getting used to. There were some levels that didn’t seem to gel as well as the rest in a ‘stealth’ game, but only a few. All in all I think Ubisoft succeeded in what they were trying to do with this title, and I applaud them for that. The co-op and multiplayer modes are also very, very fun.

8. Tales of Xillia ; Tales games are a comfort food of JRPGS. The narratives are typical, the characters are usually cliché, and the villains are boring. You know what you are going to get with each one. However, just as I was saying with Ys earlier in the list, I tend to enjoy games that offer a variety of playable characters and Tales games do just that of course. The Tales games are often touted for their action battle systems, and Xillia is no different.

Tales of Xillia is an evolution of the style of gameplay found in Abyss and Vesperia, with some tweaks similar to Graces CC system. Linking up with a particular party member would initiate different actions from the AI, like stealing items or stunning the enemy in place. Chaining attacks and artes, and coordinating with the AI (or a second player) to perform long combos is always a blast. I love to spend time with each of the characters, getting familiar with their movesets and ‘mastering’ their playstyle. A common criticism of Tales tends to be that the combat is spammy, but usually turning up the difficulty alleviates those issues, at least somewhat. I heard some criticisms about the bosses in the game, but they were probably my favorite part altogether. I don’t think I was enjoying the game until a boss fight in the mine area maybe 8 hours or so into the game when I remember thinking to myself: “this is fucking fun!” during the battle.

My largest criticism of Xillia are the repeated field areas that are almost literally copy-pasted from one to the next, and that most of the dungeons otherwise were mostly straight paths in a maze and you had to simply find your way around. No puzzles are anything to mix things up like some earlier Tales games have had in the past.

9. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX ; Kingdom Hearts is kind of a weird series for me. There are plenty others I enjoy more. A lot more. And there are quite a number of things in the KH games that I really don’t like at all. But I still play them. Perhaps it’s just the craziness of it all? The wacky Squeenix/Disney mix? I’m not sure.

Anyways, the first Kingdom Hearts is still one of the better entries in the series. The plot has yet to go totally stupid, and the world designs are a little better than what is seen in later entries. The combat isn’t as good as Birth By Sleep or maybe even Dream Drop Distance, but it’s passable and not totally button mashy like I found Kingdom Hearts 2 to be. The ReMIX version included the slightly more difficult Proud mode, which is by far the best addition to the port. While the game is still not a ‘difficult’ one, the enhanced difficulty helped the balance a lot, and nullified attack mashing on bosses to be a viable strategy.

Visually the remaster looks great, and the music changes were mostly for the better. One of Kingdom Hearts best aspects is the artstyle, which I find to fit well with the various Disney characters and upscales to HD resolutions very well.

Moving the camera to the right stick didn’t help much. In fact, it may have made things worse in how going through the menus controls.

10. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team ; Mario and Luigi RPGs are a light hearted, really silly at times, and are (usually) humorous and charming. The battles are a little different too, often requiring memorization of attack animations so you can effectively counter or dodge. For some fights, boss battles in particular, these attacks can sometimes be quite elaborate. Battles can be fun to participate in and each new set of enemies will have a new ability for the player to figure out how to counter and dodge effectively, keeping things fresh. However, fighting the same monsters again and again in long dungeon areas, with the same attack sequences turned became repetitive quickly.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is significantly longer than other titles in the series. Dungeon sequences are much longer, sometimes taking many hours to complete from start to finish. In addition, like in most Mario RPGs, there is a lot of dialogue spoken by the NPCs. I became less tolerant of the amount of text I had to skip through to get through each area. Mario titles aren’t usually touted for their narratives, but other Mario RPGs did a much better job creating interesting and quirky plotlines, villains, and other NPCs. In this case, Dream Team mostly fails at creating humorous banter or interesting personalities, which made the long dungeon areas feel even more bogged down.

While the combat itself can be entertaining on its own for a while – the lengthened dungeon segments coupled with inane dialogue and uninteresting characters lead to a game that I wanted to end a dozen hours before it actually ended. Everything felt stretched out.

RMI

Banned
Here we go:

1. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan ; This game was felt very modern for a dungeon crawling JRPG. Combat was quick and streamlined, and the talent trees were a min-maxer's dream. The game was also impeccably paced, and I found myself not having to grind very much which was a surprise considering the stiff challenge the game provided. Addictive, engaging, nice to look at, and also the best OST of the year - this game has it all.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening ; A fantastic SRPG that brought some life back to an otherwise stagnant genre. I loved the character design and dialog.

3. Shin Megami Tensei IV ; The coolest RPG that came out this year. It's like Pokemon for grownups, but with way faster combat and less sucky pokemon.

4. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ; I sank more time into this than any other game this year. The best currently available Monster Hunter experience in the west. I highly recommend it for people curious about the series.

5. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F ; Miku's first game in the west is not my favorite, but it was my gateway into this horrible drug. Worth checking out, especially with the rhythm genre having almost entirely collapsed under the weight of Rockband and Guitar Hero's decline.

6. New Super Luigi U ; This is what a modern 2D Mario game should be: skill intensive from world 1-1.

7. Pokemon X and Y ; This pokemon is a lot less of a pain than previous entries.

8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf ; Fantastic little time waster. There's just so much to do.

9. The Last of Us ; It's like The Walking Dead, but with GAMEPLAY.

10. Divekick ; Best fighting game of the year?

x. Soul Sacrifice ; A clever title that challenges MH's throne and falls short. It was worth a shot though.

x. Dragon's Crown ; I'm a fan of everything Vanillaware does, but this brawler didn't do a whole lot to grab my attention. It's sitting mostly unplayed in my Vita's card slot.

2012. DJMax Technika Tune ; This fantastic rhythm game makes great use of the Vita's front and rear touch. A broad selection of music surprises too.

Levyne

Banned
Seda's list:

"one of these things..."

I did feel Blacklist was a good step up from Conviction, which was also fun it its own right.

1. The Last Of Us ; The opening of The Last of Us hits you like a sack of bricks, and it doesn't let you go for the next 16-18 hours. It's haunting, depressing, mortifying, and feels like an eerily realistic predictor of what would happen if society crumbled. Nearly everything about this game was as close to perfection as it gets for me. The story, following the journey of Joel and Ellie was gripping from start to finish (and man, what a goddamn great finish it is). The stealth gameplay, one that rewarded being bold and sneaky simultaneously, was constantly rewarding to me, and didn't begin to feel a little old until the last hour or so. I just keep thinking of moments from The Last Of Us that I've just never seen or experienced in another game before. Things like
finding the note for Bill, having him crumble it up, and still being able to pick it up for your collectibles, but now seeing it noticeably crumbled.
It's such a small thing, but it was a reminder of the care and love Naughty Dog put into this game. And they also managed to make a fantastic multiplayer mode that kept me playing for months after release. The Last of Us is my game of the year, and it's not really even close. Winter, man. That Winter chapter. Still gives me chills.

2. Grand Theft Auto V ; This was a tough one. On one hand, what Rockstar accomplished on ancient hardware with GTA V is nothing short of mind-boggling. They managed to deliver meet the hype of the public, something that rarely happens, especially when it comes to a game of this magnitude. It was a remarkable sendoff to the old generation. The storytelling, characters, and writing were both fantastic, and the missions/heists were easily the best in the series. The parodies and radio stations were as good as ever. I loved GTA V...but something was missing for me. What it was missing, I'm not exactly sure. Even while some of the missions were great, it still felt like there was far too much downtime, too much waiting for the next cool heist mission to happen. And the online component of the game, after looking like it was going to be an incredible addition, was a massive disappointment for me. I hope Trevor doesn't come after me, but he'll have to settle for second place.

3. Assassins Creed IV ; I still can't believe I even have this game on my list. After beating AC3 and being thoroughly disappointed (something that doesn't usually happen to me when I beat a game). Ugh, that ending mission, and the ending itself. I was ready to write the series off forever. I was a little more intrigued when the announcement was to make the game centered around the boat missions from 3, one of the only memorable parts of that game. Well, I'm really glad I gave the game a proper chance. Outside of AC: Brotherhood, it's easily the best Assassin's Creed game in my book. The world is massive, and full of things to check out. Nearly all of the collectables have a purpose--you aren't just collecting things for an achievement. They tie themselves to important ship, armor, and cosmetic upgrades. The story is surprisingly good, and it somehow got me to care about what will happen in the present world with the most meta conceit ever. I put nearly 40 hours into Assassins Creed IV, and after beating it, I want to find everything. For someone with ADHD and a very short attention span, it's probably the best endorsement I can give a game.

4. Bioshock Infinite ; As someone who puts the original Bioshock as one of my two or three personal favorite games of all time, it saddens me to not have this even in my top three games of the year. Immediately after beating Infinite, I thought it was a shoo-in for the top spot. But looking back, issues with some of the heavy-handed storytelling, leaps in logic, and some of the plodding gameplay were a little too much for me. I was definitely disappointed by how a large portion of the story was just ignored and pushed aside by the last half of the game. That being said, the dialogue with Booker and Elizabeth, the overall story, the fantastic ending, and some of the patented Bioshock moments produced from the team at Irrational Games were enough to put this at No. 4 for me. I still love you, Bioshock Infinite. There was just some tough competition this year.

5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons ; Who would have thought that in a year of next-gen console releases that the most visually stunning game would be on seven-year-old hardware? Playing Brothers not only brought me back to the relationship I had with my own brother growing up, but it felt like playing an interactive, dark fairytale. The control scheme, while it takes a little getting used to, is truly unique. There's never really been anything like it, at least in my 20+ years of playing games. It's also the first game to me to have a change in the controls elicit an emotional reaction out of me---which is really, really cool. The final 10 minutes are right up there for me in moments of the year.

6. DmC: Devil May Cry ; I've never touched the first four Devil May Cry games. I'm a terrible person, I know. I came into this game avoiding the toxicity around it, looking forward to seeing what Ninja Theory would evolve from the criminally underrated Enslaved. What I found was easily one of the best action games of the year, one I enjoyed much more from a gameplay and story perspective than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. The Bob Barbas fight and moments that lead up to it in the game are really inventive. And for all the talk of DMC being shallow, I had the complete opposite experience. I kept coming back to see what different kinds of combos I could make with my weapons, and see how I could fare on tougher difficulties. FUCK YOU. This game is fantastic.

7. Tomb Raider ; Sure, you can cynically say that the re-boot of Tomb Raider was much more Uncharted than anything resembling the original games. But despite some sequences where the game was painfully linear, the open areas where Lara was able to take out her foes using a variety of methods, and the semi-Metroidvanianess of the game was able to get my hooks into me quickly. While I don't think the story will win any awards for originality, the voice acting was solid, and I thought Rhianna Pratchett did an overall solid job writing an origin story for Lara. Tomb Raider was a ton of fun, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the next game on some next-gen consoles

8. Device 6 ; Device 6 isn't really a game. It's more of an interactive novel. From the guys at Simogo, the team who also made the fantastic Year Walk (which would have been No. 11 on my list), the thrill of going through Device 6's narrative and solving its riddles and puzzles was a thrill. As someone who didn't play through Fez until months after release, I really enjoyed playing Device 6 the week it came out. With no guides to seek, it required me to solve the puzzles on my own. If it seems like I'm talking around the game, I am. It's something that needs to be experienced. Simogo has become my favorite iOS developer, and I can't wait to see what the team does next.

9. NBA 2K14 ; Especially on the PS4, NBA 2K14 visually was a game that really made me feel like the next generation of consoles had truly arrived. The detail on facial models, animations, and the small things really brought the franchise towards the uncanny valley. The learning curve on the game remains steep, especially as someone who had not purchased a basketball game since NBA 2K11, but the break has made me appreciate the advancements Visual Concepts has made in the way you can slice your way to the basket, back someone down and take a shot using any number of post moves, or turn back for a fadeaway jumper. NBA 2K14 is what sports games should be: visually stunning, and a game that plays like the real thing.

10. Battlefield 4 ; I feel a little guilty putting this one here with all the tech problems the game has had (and seems to be still having at the moment). But as someone who doesn't own a PC, I can't tell you how awesome it's been getting to play an actual Battlefield proper game that isn't watered down. This game would have been much higher most likely had there not been all the damn problems playing the game. But alas, Battlefield 4 was still good and enough fun to round out the bottom of my list.

Tizoc

Aight let's do dis ish! Gonna make my list in January, the new layout seems rather different than last year's unless I'm mixing it up with the RPG GotY voting. Non the less, looking forward to seeing what the forum's favourite games are =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom