• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Should I replace my 2080Ti with a 4070Ti?

Nickolaidas

It costs a thousand bucks right now in my country and it is supposedly 60% faster than my 2080Ti, with the same consumption of Watts.

Is it a good choice for upgrading my PC only via graphics card and without changing anything else about my desktop computer (processor, motherboard, power supply)?

Guilty_AI

Is it a good choice for upgrading my PC only via graphics card and without changing anything else about my desktop computer (processor, motherboard, power supply)?
Depends on what processor and power supply you have.

If its the same consumption of watts then no issue.
Depending on what CPU you have you might not take full advantage of the new GPU.
Motherboard is just a matter of compatibility, it should be compatible though its good to double check just in case

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Eh, I personally wouldn't. Went from a 2080 Ti to a 4090 and that was worth the price of admission. The 4070 Ti is significantly more powerful than the 2080 Ti but I don't like those 12GB and if you plan on gaming at 4K, it will come up short sometimes.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Unless you really can't play the games you want to play at the settings and resolution you want, after enabling DLSS/FSR, I'd say no.

Your GPU is faster than the GPU in the consoles and the games are mostly using PS4-era engines.

Given the market data we've been getting lately, this generation of GPUs is probably going down in price much faster than their predecessors. Save your money for when we get games that actually need better GPUs than the one you have.

Nickolaidas

Eh, I personally wouldn't. Went from a 2080 Ti to a 4090 and that was worth the price of admission. The 4070 Ti is significantly more powerful than the 2080 Ti but I don't like those 12GB and if you plan on gaming at 4K, it will come up short sometimes.
But isn't the 2080Ti at 12GB of memory as well?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
But isn't the 2080Ti at 12GB of memory as well?
It's 11GB but you're not spending $1000 either. I suppose you could sell the 2080 Ti to offset the cost but going from that to a 4070 Ti just doesn't seem worth it at that price. If you had found the 4070 Ti at a bargain, I would have told you to be all over it but as it stands, I would hold off. The 2080 Ti is easily good enough for another 2 years and that 5070/Ti will be like 2x faster.

Nickolaidas

It's 11GB but you're not spending $1000 either. I suppose you could sell the 2080 Ti to offset the cost but going from that to a 4070 Ti just doesn't seem worth it at that price. If you had found the 4070 Ti at a bargain, I would have told you to be all over it but as it stands, I would hold off. The 2080 Ti is easily good enough for another 2 years and that 5070/Ti will be like 2x faster.
So I should wait for 2 years and do a full upgrade with a 5070Ti in mind. Hmm ...

Guilty_AI

The power supply was meant for a 2080 Super, and I upgraded that to a 2080Ti.
It might be worth checking out to see if the power supply can handle it.
The processor is ... Intel i7-9700K 3.6 GHz
That might cause some bottlenecks

All in all, i think you should just keep your current build and make a completely new build a few years from now.
There isn't much reason to get a new gpu when the 2080TI should be able to handle anything for a long time.

GHG

4K, indeed. With DLSS, whenever it's allowed by the game.

Yeh, avoid this card then. If you can't shoot for at least a 4080 then I'd say look for a discounted or used (with warranty) 3090 if you feel like you must upgrade.

Last edited:

Spyxos

It costs a thousand bucks right now in my country and it is supposedly 60% faster than my 2080Ti, with the same consumption of Watts.

I would wait 1-2 months. The prices will fall. It's just a question of when.

PeteBull

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4070-ti.c3950 here u can see roughly avg perf increase, the problem with 4070ti, especially for 4k resolution is only 12gigs of vram, if u wanna keep card longer than year or two it might prove to be not enough, for such a high price, 800$ (and outside US much more) i would think especially for 4k, if u upgrading from 2080ti u would want more vram, so imo go 4090 or wait till 5k seriesof gpus or maybe (but who really knows what nvidia gonna do) some for other card with more vram, 4080 has 16gigs but its terrible value, 4090 has 24gigs and is premium product so can be somehow justified, hence if u bought 2080ti back in the day u probably can afford 4090 now

The same people who say yeah you need more VRAM, literally were fine with 10 GB a year or so ago, saying they dont need more for their 3080 even at 4K. Games have not evolved in the last 2-3 years. You're absolutely fine for the next 5+ years with a 4070TI at 4K for almost all games. DLSS is pretty much found in all games nowadays if you're that worried. Remember, allocated VRAM vs actual VRAM usage are two entirely different things. Most people with 16 GB will see huge VRAM usages but that shit aint real usage.

Now, that we got that shit out of the way, you shouldnt upgrade your GPU because your CPU is a huge bottleneck. Might wanna move to 32 GB ram as well, seeing as how recent games have required 16 GB min nowadays.

75npLCBWZobeyS4t8rxqKm-970-80.png.webp

Neo_game

You should wait and you may find it little cheaper sometime this year. I also think you do not have to get a new PSU as well. It is slightly faster than 3090 but consumes very less power.

PeteBull

The same people who say yeah you need more VRAM, literally were fine with 10 GB a year or so ago, saying they dont need more for their 3080 even at 4K. Games have not evolved in the last 2-3 years. You're absolutely fine for the next 5+ years with a 4070TI at 4K for almost all games. DLSS is pretty much found in all games nowadays if you're that worried. Remember, allocated VRAM vs actual VRAM usage are two entirely different things. Most people with 16 GB will see huge VRAM usages but that shit aint real usage.
If he is buying new gpu now, its very likely he wants to keep it till 6k series, so 2 gens, and even nvidia themselfs is marketing 4070ti as a 1440p card, for 3 reasons- performance much lower from 4090, half of vram vs 3090/3090ti, and bus width only 192bit.
Thats why this card can play 4k on most current and older games at decent framerate(but not everything, for example cp2077 maxed it cant, even w/o rt, with raytracing it has to put in dlss2/3 only for it to run nicely) but definitely wont be gpu for 4k resolution going forward.

Again spending so much we dont wanna cut corners/reduce settings/res etc, and i tell u this as 3080ti owner bought for 2200€ in the middle of cryptoboom, 1,5years ago.

@OP check vid urself, mate, extreme case coz new forspoken game, which is current gen(ps5) only, so it has horrendous requirements, but many such games gonna appear in next 2-3 years, and u wanna be prepared for worst case scenario, u mentioned playing on 4k monitor so dont buy 4070ti unless u are ok with reducing stuff from the get go.
https://gyazo.com/d3802e85dd94f2f8e467633adbfdc178 here quick dirty screenie from above mentioned vid, 4k maxed out, but dips visible under 30fps.

Again spending so much

Price is a problem for all cards. 4080/4090 included. At those gpu p[rices you should have gpus meant for servers/workstations at 32GB vram, not consumer level stuff. Forget about the prices, they dont reflect any product. Also lol at using Forspoken as an example. That shit is garbage and does not reflect 99% of other games. You can make the case that even a modded Skyrim can reach 24GB VRAM usage. Point is moot. Only 4080/4090 users seem to be worried/concerned about vram usage for everyone else and we all know why. VRAM was not an issue for 3080, 2080, won';t be with 4080---err 4070TI.

I'ts been debated endlessly https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/12gb-vram-enough-for-4k-discuss.18965615/

Last edited:
Full ham and a 4090 or GTFO
Unfortunately, these are the breaks. But I get rock cock solid 4k/60fps on ultra everything, even RT (with the driver update) I just updated today... Unfortunately I have had 2 spots where critical fucking shit happens... The first, when the Initial Ship that you start the game in, blows up... sent my performance all over... everything was more or less solid till I reached... the final boss... same shit... nearly unplayable... ans unbeatable, don't know how, but I managed to pace and beat it... within a single shot miss/fail that could have set me back 20 mins or so.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
it is supposedly 60% faster than my 2080Ti

The processor is ... Intel i7-9700K 3.6 GHz

It also needs to be said you would absolutely not get a 60% performance upgrade from changing the GPU alone.

60% is what you're reading from recent 4070 Ti reviews where they use top-end CPUs to remove that factor from being a bottleneck. Your CPU is most definitely a bottleneck here at all times, and especially if you use raytracing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We had this VRAM debate in another thread when someone was adamant Cyberpunk was using 15gb.

I played with a 4070ti at 4K with DLSS quality and frame generation on and I was using under 10gb, that's Ultra RTX at 55-60fps without playing around with settings.

Last edited:

Myths

if you’re willing to swap out several other components other than just the GPU then: Save your money now, wait until the 50 series drops, and then grab the top tier if you’re feeling daring and lucky.

Or, wait until production ramps up while prices drop further in the year to grab the 4090. At some point, we’ll have to upgrade the PSU.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll wait, save, and go for a complete overhaul in two years.
About ur cpu- got here 8700k, bit oced, so urs isnt much faster but tiny bit faster(5% or so), and as long as u aiming for stable 60fps u can keep it, and yup even in cp2077 cpu heavy scenario(tons of npc, driving car fast in the middle of biggest rush hours etc).

As long as u dont turn on max rt settings, those are heavy on cpu too, unfortunately, not only gpu- heavy, so maxed out rt and both ur and mine cpu cant handle 1080p60fps stable(but we arent far from it, in ur case it will be small dips below 60 in heaviest cpu demanding scenarios and not for long ;)

here nice cpu comparision 7700k vs 8700k vs ur 9700k vs 10700k vs 11700k

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll wait, save, and go for a complete overhaul in two years.

What you haven't mentioned once is what you actually want to PLAY on it. I could have waited and got a better value card than a 4070ti later down the line, but 2023 on PC looks like this to me:

Hi-Fi Rush, Hogwarts Legacy, Returnal PC port, Resident Evil 4, Baldur's Gate 3, Diablo 4, maybe Suicide Squad, Wo Long, Jedi Survivor, System Shock Remake (hopefully), Starfield if it's on time, Black Myth maybe, Redfall, Atomic Heart and more.

I like playing games at launch so it just wasn't worth waiting another year to save a few bucks. If you're not bothered about playing stuff at launch then sure, wait.

AV

Everything. I'd like my PC to be able to play anything new at 60 fps (don't care about 90 or 120), at 4K (either native or with Quality DLSS).

Again though do you care about playing everything this year or can you wait? If you want to actually play stuff as it releases then saving a few bucks waiting for a better value GPU shouldn't really matter.

If you don't care about RTX then a 4070ti will do you proud. Lots of fearmongering about VRAM from people who watch Youtube videos and don't own one, we ran the tests in another thread. Cyberpunk 4K DLSS Quality + Frame Generation, RTX Ultra, 55-60fps. Easy to get that up with tweaks. You can get similar albeit slightly worse results with frame generation off and RTX off, as not all games will support DLSS3 out of the box.

Also that's only one game of course. I can play Flight Simulator at 4K on a 4070ti with everything cranked up using DLSS3 and it's a buttery smooth dream.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Yes you should. At least you will stay in the loop with dlss 3 and the 4070ti is actually a good card for 4k at 60 fps.

You will be needing dlss though for the current gen games to achieve that in some demanding games.

While your cpu is fine, you might want to update that soon. Maybe wait till the 14th gen cpu by the end of this year for that.

Since you are gaming at 4k 60 fps, your GPU will do most of the heavy tasks. But you will notice a big difference in your performance with the 4070ti once you upgrade the CPU.

Nickolaidas

Again though do you care about playing everything this year or can you wait? If you want to actually play stuff as it releases then saving a few bucks waiting for a better value GPU shouldn't really matter.

If you don't care about RTX then a 4070ti will do you proud. Lots of fearmongering about VRAM from people who watch Youtube videos and don't own one, we ran the tests in another thread. Cyberpunk 4K DLSS Quality + Frame Generation, RTX Ultra, 55-60fps. Easy to get that up with tweaks. You can get similar albeit slightly worse results with frame generation off and RTX off, as not all games will support DLSS3 out of the box.

Also that's only one game of course. I can play Flight Simulator at 4K on a 4070ti with everything cranked up using DLSS3 and it's a buttery smooth dream.

Yes you should. At least you will stay in the loop with dlss 3 and the 4070ti is actually a good card for 4k at 60 fps.

You will be needing dlss though for the current gen games to achieve that in some demanding games.

While your cpu is fine, you might want to update that soon. Maybe wait till the 14th gen cpu by the end of this year for that.

Since you are gaming at 4k 60 fps, your GPU will do most of the heavy tasks. But you will notice a big difference in your performance with the 4070ti once you upgrade the CPU.
Great points ... hmmm ....

DRB

Neo Member
I went from 8700/2080 to 7700x/4070 Ti, but I upgraded all components before the GPU got switched out. Even without the new GPU, I got a really nice bump in performance and stability in the games I played. If your 9700k is somewhat close to what I got with my 8700, then I'd say you're going to lose out on the 4070 Ti's full potential. But I also had some shitty 2666Mhz 16GB RAM in the old rig which probably didn't help either. The 4070 Ti is a perfectly capable 4k card, but it's not a crank it and leave it type of deal with the most demanding games; you're going to want to fiddle with settings to achieve satisfactory performance, but if you're fine with that reality then I'd say you'll be happy with the purchase for a few years.

OZ9000

Banned
Edit: misread the title.

Notable upgrade but I don't think you need to upgrade at present. The 2080Ti is capable of running 4k60 in most games with DLSS.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Everything. I'd like my PC to be able to play anything new at 60 fps (don't care about 90 or 120), at 4K (either native or with Quality DLSS).
60fps?
Then just go for it.
Even the 9700K with a decent OC will easily get you to 60+ in most if not all titles at FauxK using DLSS/FSR/XeSS.

VRAM and CPU fearmongering is super extreme on this board.
Everyone wants you to have the latest 50 core CPU and 96GB of VRAM when in reality if you are aiming for 60fps, you are beyond all good.
They will show you graphs of a GPU/CPU having 1% lows of 90fps and claim this is evidence of this VRAM defecit or some shit, but if you are always at 60...whats the beef?

Nickolaidas

60fps?
Then just go for it.
Even the 9700K with a decent OC will easily get you to 60+ in most if not all titles at FauxK using DLSS/FSR/XeSS.

VRAM and CPU fearmongering is super extreme on this board.
Everyone wants you to have the latest 50 core CPU and 96GB of VRAM when in reality if you are aiming for 60fps, you are beyond all good.
They will show you graphs of a GPU/CPU having 1% lows of 90fps and claim this is evidence of this VRAM defecit or some shit, but if you are always at 60...whats the beef?
So a cpu is basically more useful at achieving 90-120 fps?

Black_Stride

So a cpu is basically more useful at achieving 90-120 fps?
Pretty much.
CPUs reached a point where getting to 60 isnt even an issue for most if not all modern CPUs.
Even 4 core ones everyone tells you will absolutely be creamed by games.....they wont.
They are all super powerful right now. Even GamersNexus is getting kinda bored of reviewing these CPUs because they all hit 60 easily they are all super powerful and eat through games easily 99% of the time, in some games they are hammering 400fps.

When aiming for higher frame rates thats when you really need a heavy CPU.
And even then im like, mate my 12400 cost me 150 bucks and im hitting 90fps more often than not, otherwise I can do straight 120.
5600 with DDR4 is pocket change these days.
I promised myself an upgrade to the 136K but only for the productivity side of things....gaming the cost of a new CPU would be pointless for me cuz I cant actually tell the difference between 120fps and 140fps, or 140fps and 160fps.

So i just lock my refresh rate to 144hz, and use fps limits to keep my frametime graph flat.
And now im looking at the cost of the 136K and thinking maybe a 13500 does 99% of the job even in productivity....or I just sit on a 12400 and GPU render forever till ArrowLake.

The GPU still matters obviously cuz you are pushing a bunch of pixels at 4K, but if you are looking at 1440p as your internal resolution I still think the 2080Ti is a GPU to get you to 60.
Obviously some effects

OZ9000

Banned
You think the 2080Ti is even in the same class as the 4070Ti.
Noting the 4070Ti keeps up and beats the 3080Ti more often than not.
Sorry I'm blind.

For some reason I thought his post said 3070Ti haha.

Yes the 4070Ti would be good upgrade.

Though depends how badly he wants DLSS3.

Personally I would not buy anything less than a 4080.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Sorry I'm blind.

For some reason I thought his post said 3070Ti haha.

Yes the 4070Ti would be good upgrade.

Though depends how badly he wants DLSS3.

Personally I would not buy anything less than a 4080.
Remember that OP is also only hunting 60fps.
Youll be hard pressed to find a game that isnt just straight up broken that a 4070Ti couldnt hammer 60fps especially considering DLSS/FSR/XeSS.
OP wouldnt even need to use DLSS3 cuz FrameGeneration only really gets good above 60fps, below simply using DLSS to get to 60 is fine.

At current prices the 4070Ti is actually the best value card per dollar.
It hasnt seen any price hikes, the 4090s are general above MSRP, the 4070Ti is pretty much locked at MSRP right now.
Jumping up to the 4080 isnt even that great a deal for OPs use case, and a 4090 would be absolute overkill with it regularly being 1900 - 2000 dollars.

Nickolaidas

With a 2080ti, Elden Ring cannot run at 60 fps at 4k in open landscapes, need to turn it down to 1440p. Dead Space at 1440p is in medium settings and I still cannot hit steady 60 fps.

Will a 4070ti run both games at steady 4k/60 fps ?

Black_Stride

Careful, DLSS3 requires a good CPU besides the fact that it uses Reflex automatically which also draws quite a bit from the CPU performance for better input. In your case a CPU upgrade is mandatory but your call.
Mandatory CPU upgrade.
What the hell are you smoking.
The 9700K isnt exactly a slow CPU.
It will easily keep up with a 10 or even 11700K.

If 9700K cant do a stable 60 chances are that game is straight up unplayable.

Mandatory CPU upgrade.
What the hell are you smoking.
The 9700K isnt exactly a slow CPU.
It will easily keep up with a 10 or even 11700K.

If 9700K cant do a stable 60 chances are that game is straight up unplayable.

No it doesnt. It'll be a bottleneck for any 4k gpu.

xxJ2hsYaDZZbTTAeNpR33o.png

Almost 20 FPS difference. "easily" lmfao. Whenes the last time you checked CPU benchmarks? Thats just one generation difference. We're at 13k and performances have increased even more.

Top Bottom