• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics E3 award winners - Fallout 4 Best of Show

Kurtofan

Sorry there's a selection of people who value actual quality in releases. Endless bugs and shit design decisions doesn't equal GOTY to everyone. Bethesda products are decent, but they aren't the be all and end all that some believe (at least for some).

Don't forget the stellar writing

I mean yeah Bethesda had one confident and flowing conference but eh I have a wait and see attitude with Bethesda games due to how shitty they run at launch the whole it's a massive ambitious excuse won't fly anymore. It weird one hand critics and game reporters keep saying don't pre order or fall for hype yet they elect a game winner from just hype
i guess everybody up in here is busy pretending like E3 is about something besides hype
Sorry there's a selection of people who value actual quality in releases. Endless bugs and shit design decisions doesn't equal GOTY to everyone. Bethesda products are decent, but they aren't the be all and end all that some believe (at least for some).
yeah, it's a shame they didn't pick a game everybody could agree on, and just went with the one that boasted an incredibly strong showing and which sated years of hype and mystery. After all, it would have been nice for the people behind GCA to wave a magic wand and subvert the fabric of the universe, so that every single man, woman, and child is satisfied with their choices in the end

Mononoke

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the art style has been so taxing on their time, all they could manage was boss fights and simple "hold the shoot button and jump" gameplay. That kind of gameplay style doesn't play nice with awards. Is there a walkthrough video somewhere that isn't just a boss room?

Yeah I heard it's mostly a boss fight game, which was a let down to me. I've been following Cuphead for a while now, and only recently found out it was more of a boss battle game and not a level/platform title. :/

Regginator

I never said something about anyone, hence the "more correct" in quotation. Again: you're in the minority. You have nothing. Stop acting like it's a known fact that Bethesda games are shit. "Shit" games don't review, score and sell that much. You don't get to dictate other people about "good" and "bad" games. Does that mean you have to like it? No. Don't like it? That's great, you're entitled to that, but don't come around trolling around with hit-and-bait posts that add nothing.

Gurish

I am excited about FO4 but it seems to have won only because of the IP and not because they demonstrated something amazing, Horizon deserved it and U4 was the second best as it used the technology to advance the formula with a set piece on a huge scale not seen before in the series+ it looked incredible while doing so and showed amazing destructibility and physics (rightfully took the visual award).

Feel GG were robbed, they deserved it more, but oh well, if we go by how recent winners has turned out when they came out maybe it's for the best for GG and ND :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Golly me, it's almost as if people have varying opinions. Will have to research further to be sure.

Then don't do it. The base building stuff was the best part for some of us and it seems completely.

As stupid as it
doesn't
sound rebuilding society in a post post apocalypse game is a feature others wanted.

Plus the fact it's already there in the base game, means the mod potential can skyrocket into new territories to create even more new ideas that the next FO/ES will probably look at and try to incorporate a pro rendition of, like always... like weapon mods, survival systems etc. Dudes that don't know how to Fallout need to fall back.

Lingitiz

I didn't totally love everything Bethesda showed, wanted to hear more about narrative and story. Still, they deserve the win for showing so much gameplay and actually releasing this year with a set date. It was an extremely confident showing.

Fitts

Cool. Bethesda deserves to be rewarded for unveiling the game in a near-final state and with a ton of gameplay. Hopefully other devs/pubs choose to do the same in the future.

sjay1994

Yeah...

I am not buying into the hype after Skyrim. That game was a fucking mess on PS3 at launch, and I don't think I have had a positive launch window experience with the Bethesda published games I have played asides from Dishonored (maybe because it was the only non B Softworks game that wasn't using the garbage iD tech 5 engine)

I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY edition, since Fallout 4 and other Beth Soft RPG's are media favorites before purchasing.

No Man's Sky

Does that even count?

Its just coming console first to PS4. Its also on PC

Sony mopped up, and even though I preferred Sony's show, let's all admit that this year was a fantastic E3 for everyone except Nintendo. So many good games coming out!

barit

Yep that was a very strong E3 for Sony this year and these critic awards show it again even if 3rd party games (as usual) are in the majority.

Euron

That list is...actually spot on for the most part. Fallout 4 had an excellent showing and Todd Howard was one of the best E3 presenters I've ever seen.

Keep in mind, Horizon will be there next year as it won't come out until Fall 2016 at the earliest (will probably slip into 2017).

But I'm happy that they didn't just give it to another online shooter like the past two years. Don't get me wrong, Battlefront had a great demo but I'm afraid it'll meet the same fate as the other hyped FPS games this gen and lack content at launch.

The only award I feel is wrong is the best Indie winner. That should be Cuphead. But regardless, that was a pretty good selection all around.

Lingitiz

Sony mopped up, and even though I preferred Sony's show, let's all admit that this year was a fantastic E3 for everyone except Nintendo. So many good games coming out!

Almost every publisher had at least one game I'm very excited for. Ubi with South Park and Ghost Recon, EA with Mirror's Edge, Battlefront, and Unravel, SE with JC3 and Deux Ex MD, MS with Halo 5 and Recore, Sony and UC4 and Horizon...it was a great showing for all the pubs.

How is Sony down for four wins when one of their games won once and the other three times?!

Edit - never mind; I see this was already asked. I assumed Hello Games were publishing No Man's Sky themselves.

Tomb Raider doesn't deserve an award. It's literally a worse Uncharted.
It's very different from Uncharted when it comes to moment-to-moment gameplay, and this is coming from someone who used to shit-talk the reboot at every turn. And the gameplay for this one looks radical.

Trace

Banned
It's very different from Uncharted when it comes to moment-to-moment gameplay, and this is coming from someone who used to shit-talk the reboot at every turn. And the gameplay for this one looks radical.

I couldn't really have imagined a worse trailer for that game though. They showed boring QTE gameplay that was the staple of last-gen.

Bloodrage

Banned
I can see what you're saying about bias, but, there have been plenty of people who tear Bethesda up constantly (as evidenced here in this thread) for the buggy nature of their games.
You're right about that. It's just funny to see how some developers get less shit than others, even when their fuck ups are obviously greater.

The only type of gameplay you need. Ever played a Contra classic?
Yes, and I do understand the Contra comparison, but Contra wasn't just boss rooms either.

Not a single Tomb Raider in sight....

these awards are dumb anyway
What was Tomb Raider going to take from Uncharted 4? They're not even in the same league at this point. The Tomb Raider demo was probably the worst demo I saw out of E3. They're trying way too hard and Lara sounds even more annoying now than she did before.

No Man's Sky
Sony isn't publishing No Man's Sky, are they? Must be an error...? What's the 5th?

Mikey Jr.

Glad horizon got some recognition.

Also, no one was going to beat uncharted. Nothing else was close graphically.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How did Horizon get any award? I was under the impression that Game Critics E3 awards had to be at the pre-E3 event and "playable".

I didn't hear anyone say that they saw that game there but the delegates that I listened to the podcast to also were surprised by it.

Pretty much. It was a little disheartening towards the end of E3 to see all the stickers for "Best of E3" from different sites on other booths and thinking "Forget winning, I wish somebody from that site had even bothered to check out our game; might have been able to get a good article out of them."
It's not just AAA though. Dylan Cuthbert complained about a lack of coverage on the big sites.
It's like the big games sites saw that E3 had bigger games this year than last year so now they can just ignore the smaller title games again.

Vire

I liked GAFs list much more... This is some boring ass shit. An exciting new IP comes along in Horizon and it gets one award? Sad.

At least we recognized Cuphead and Unravel.

Anno

Kind of a sad list in a way. I'm sure Fallout will be fun and Horizon looks neat, but there has to be something more interesting and original out there. Having just a single, generic Best Indie award seems a little outmoded.

tuxfool

Banned
How did Horizon get any award? I was under the impression that Game Critics E3 awards had to be at the pre-E3 event and "playable".

I assume playable, means able to be played in real time in front of people. There were non-public demos given of the E3 scenario using alternate approaches

Derp

Lol at the Bethesda bashing. Apparently Bethesda produces shit. A bunch of magical shits that get years of development, get this much hype and excitement, win multiple GoTY awards, consistently achieve high scores and become some of the most popular, enjoyable, actively played and highly praised RPGs with a huge fanbase. We must be brainwashed. Grab your tinfoil hats, boys, the minority has come to cleanse everyone with their understanding of good games.

But yeah, let's ignore what they showed (even though the award is based on that), and let's just base the award off whether a really small minority thinks the company and the games are crap or not.

Then don't do it. The base building stuff was the best part for some of us, and it seems completely optional.

As stupid as it
doesn't
sound rebuilding society in a post post apocalypse game is a feature others wanted.

How can anyone find the base building parts not completely stupid?

Lol at the Bethesda bashing. Apparently Bethesda produces shit. A bunch of magical shits that get years of development, get this much hype and excitement, win multiple GoTY awards, consistently achieve high scores

Yes.

and become some of the most popular, enjoyable, actively played and highly praised RPGs with a huge fanbase. We must be brainwashed. Grab your tinfoil hats, boys, the minority has come to cleanse everyone with their understanding of good games.

Argumentum ad populum.

But yeah, let's ignore what they showed

If only I could.

Top Bottom