• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game graphics have got better, so why hasn't the music?

Game graphics have got better, so why hasn't the music?

*ahem*

8e_1_b.JPG

Fire up those nes / genesis emulators on your dreamcasts, pick a game at random, and tell me your ears arn't bleeding within minutes. There'll always be garbage, and there'll always be the classics, but overall I'd say videogame music is progressing nicely.

reminds me of how everyone says originality died after the 16-bit days

even though every month a new side scroller with a "wacky" mascot or licensed game was released

PolyGone

Banned
soul creator said:
reminds me of how everyone says originality died after the 16-bit days

even though every month a new side scroller with a "wacky" mascot or licensed game was released

reminds me of how everyone says Squaresoft started to suck after the merger...

... oh, wait.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Katamari, FFXII, and KH2 are in my cd player now (well, on my iPod, but you know).

I think Shadow of the Colossus is perhaps the best game soundtrack EVER.

jett

D-Member
Kaijima said:
Zelda: TWW Dragon Roost Island music waves to nostalgia, screams "FTW BITCH!" and then has it bend over.

Overall WW's soundtrack is extremely mediocre, though. Dragoon Roost Island's theme is not that good either. :p

Rahul

Try thinking more laterally: game graphics have in fact not gotten better, and neither has the music. In fact, the overall game industry has stagnated in the past 5 years. Nothing conceivably interesting has happened -- people have just put out some more games. Consider that the largest innovation was Katamari Damacy and you pretty much have a summary of this generation as opposed to the last.

Kevtones

This topic does indeed 'fail'. Graphical improvements are based on technology and are seen. Sound quality has GREATLY improved but music in terms of quality is a totally subjective. Mozart >>>> most and he is centuries old. Music, like most art forms is a product of its time thats not neccesarily improved, just built from and influential. Technology isn't as much of a factor.

qcf x2

There are the gems of each generation.

You had your Mario/Tetris/etc 8-bit days, Sonic/Street Fighter 2/FF6/Chrono Trigger/DCK2/Killer Instinct 16-bit stuff, FF7/Panzer Dragoon 2 & Saga/Chrono Cross/NiGHTS, etc for 32-bit, then after that Shenmue was the last game with theme music that really appealed to me, but I haven't played too many epic type games since that time period anyway.

Jiggy

Rocked said:
http://dkc2bramble.ytmnd.com/

Just listen to this. You very very rarely hear original game music as beautiful as that today. In Mario Kart DS I noticed the new music was shit compared to the retro ones too.

The catchy tunes are what I REALLY miss about old gaming. I think all composers should be forced to make their tunes on a Commodore 64 or a NES then remix them.
wink.gif
I don't understand why modern music isn't so memorable.
Two thoughts.

1) I agree about the lack of memorability. I think this has to do with the extra complexity; I can recognize the brilliance of a soundtrack such as, say, the one for Baten Kaitos, but I'm hard-pressed to actually recall any of the themes without playing them, possibly due to the shifts in instrumentation, focus, etc.

2) I disagree about the game music today being less beautiful. You're picking the DKC2 brambles theme, but that's one of the best pieces of music in gaming history; I don't think it's representative of the overall 16-bit generation. The best of the best now can hold up against the best of the best then, IMO.

Glass Joe

I see what the original poster is saying, but he's comparing the objective to the subjective here.

In his argument, I gather that "graphics" have improved due to the increase of colors, going from sprites to polygons, added processing power, effects, etc.

"Music" has improved technically in the same fashion. It started as little mono blips, eventually progressed to stereo with synthesized instruments, and is now dolby surround capable of full blown cd quality symphonic tracks.

A more fair argument would be to compare music to visual artistry. Probably what the poster intended, and I'd agree with that. With music, usually simpler is better. That's why rock focuses on those same 3 chords. That's also why you can still run into an 8-bit tune and find it catchy -- they only had so much they could work with. Music in video games however, is always going to be second fiddle to graphics, as long as the main areas of promotion are visual screenshots ala print mags and the internet.

I still prefer to play my own music in the background while playing games...

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Rahul said:
Try thinking more laterally: game graphics have in fact not gotten better, and neither has the music. In fact, the overall game industry has stagnated in the past 5 years. Nothing conceivably interesting has happened -- people have just put out some more games. Consider that the largest innovation was Katamari Damacy and you pretty much have a summary of this generation as opposed to the last.

You and I are going to be friends.

Tarazet

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average Sega CD game has better sound quality than the best high-dollar, current-gen RPGs. I'm not talking about composition here - just sonic fidelity.

Stench

Banned
Let us not forget the contributions of one particular man - a man... who stood against the system... a man who prevailed, when others were shamed from their own pitiful failures.

Never forget the man... the myth... THE LEGEND.

image008.jpg

YASUNORI MITSUDA: KING OF KINGS

Stench said:
Let us not forget the contributions of one particular man - a man... who stood against the system... a man who prevailed, when others were shamed from their own pitiful failures.

Never forget the man... the myth... THE LEGEND.

image008.jpg

YASUNORI MITSUDA: KING OF KINGS

Who is this guy?

Tabris

He is correct. Nintendo games music has gone down hill.

Wind Waker had the worst soundtrack out of all the main Zelda games. Mario Sunshine was also *yawn* for the music.

Now outside Nintendo, it's only improved.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tabris said:
Now outside EAD, it's only improved.

Fixed.

In any case, hopefully Koji Kondo can make a comeback with some nice orchestral scores in TP.

Rocked said:
You really think you'll still be able to remember those games music 10 or 15 years down the line like we can with stuff like Sonic, Mario, Street Fighter 2 etc? I doubt it.

Agreed on Katamari Damacy though. :)

You seem to confuse good music with simple music.

Ever wondered why everyone still remembers the Macarena? Because it's simple song with a simple tune.

Simple music can be good though.

Prine said:
What are you on about?

Kameo soundtrack is one of the best i've heard in years.

I actually purchased it from amazon once it was released. Its an outstanding score. I agree with Prine on this, I'm actually listening to it right now. :)

dbish

2 pages in and no mention? You have to be f'in kidding me. This whole "Neo" gaf thing is making you all rusty.

Jet Set Freaking Radio says "hi" to the original poster.

FightyF

Banned
I think that there's great music in today's games, and nothing in the past could compare mainly because of technology.

But I agree with the sentiment that I'd like to see some games today with the same qualities of the older game music, which is as you mentioned a focus on melody.

Top Bottom