• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game graphics have got better, so why hasn't the music?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Prine said:
If you want next gen sound then play GRAW and PGR3 in 5.1. Fantsatic stuff

why haven't you got yourself one of these yet?

e3-2004-019.jpg

FightyF

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
That music wasn't anything special, and music has gotten better.

No, the music done back then was far more complex and frankly took a lot more skill to make.

Today's music is far more layered and diverse.

Amir0x

Banned
you know what sounds next-gen? Pikmin 2. Wow! What great soothing music. Also, a damn fine game. GOTY 2004, accept no imitation!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Prine said:
most people would agree PGR3 and GRAW sound nextgen

Interesting because...

Prine said:
If you want next gen sound then play GRAW and PGR3 in 5.1. Fantsatic stuff

...maybe you failed to realise that this is a thread is about videogame music.

And everyone knows that MarioKart Double Dash is the winner

Guns N' Poops said:
The revmote will surely revolutionize videogame music.

I can already picture an orchestra maestro game.

Or in Wind Waker 2, you will actually move the wand around with your Revmote to produce the notes. Pure genius.

... Or is it?

Ranger X

Making music that is catchy is still possible today. Katamari, SOTC, Lament of Innocence and some other games proves it.
It's just that it's easy to make generic movie music and to throw liscensed shit everywhere. This is real ennemi imo.
And it's also a fact that music composer had to surpass themselve more in the past since they had to make good music with shit hardware. Good hardware and tools dilute talent alot more.

I guess I don't understand or agree with this thread because I think music in games have gotten progressively better. It's just the fact that many people are overly nostalgic over SNES era games and, regardless of how good current gen games' music gets, it will still be no comparison to games of old because they have the notion that older games had better music ingrained in themselves.

Personally, I never understood over the fascination over music in older games. Whenever I hear some of the most "legendary" songs, it just sounds dull in many ways. I think it's the attachment that the gamers form to these gamese as kids that probably help to make older games seem to have far better music.

To any of the kids groing up in the ps2 generation though, I doubt they think Zelda's original songs or that of many other retro games hold a candle to what's being offered in terms of atmosphere, complexity, and innovation offered in today's games.

eso76

Rocked said:
http://dkc2bramble.ytmnd.com/

Just listen to this. You very very rarely hear original game music as beautiful as that today. In Mario Kart DS I noticed the new music was shit compared to the retro ones too.

The catchy tunes are what I REALLY miss about old gaming. I think all composers should be forced to make their tunes on a Commodore 64 or a NES then remix them.
wink.gif
I don't understand why modern music isn't so memorable.

This is something i expressed a few days ago, and i definately can hear you.
Not that i don't like today's music, but i think switching to 'real' instruments or 'realisticly' sounding instruments and orchestras provided enough of an improvement as far as 'sound' goes, that musicians now can care less about the tunes themselves; see Kameo; its soundtrack is good because it's well orchestrated and sounds like a real movie score, but the themes themselves aren't too memorable or original; which is also the case with most movie scores but anyway.
When they had to deal with 8 and 16 bit sounds they had to put more effort in "composing" to achieve good results, it took more creativity . Not only that, but videogame music was a genre on its own, now it's often derivative of other 'real' musical genres. Good music should still be good even when played on a monophonic (?) cellphone.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think I'm one of the people who prefer the catchy music of the past, to games nowadays which have either an over reliance on licensed music (the EA Trax bane) or sound like generic movie scores. That said, there's still great music being made - Jet Set Radio, Shadow of the Colossus, for instance. But my favorite genre, RPGs... have really taken a hit... everything sounds so generic and forgettable nowadays (the "Sakuraba-ization" of the games perhaps?), nothing sticks in my head for a long time or makes me want to start up a game and load up a save point and just wander around, listening to the music, like in games like Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger.

The best soundtracks from back in the days were definitely on the CD systems... Lords of Thunder and Ys1-4 immediately stand out for me.

Oh! the Ys series had awesome music! Falcom FTW. Ys 6 lacked a bit there, but its still good.

And although the new 3D games may suffer some flaws, the Castlevania series has great music overall.

eso76 said:
see Kameo; its soundtrack is good because it's well orchestrated and sounds like a real movie score, but the themes themselves aren't too memorable or original;

I disagree here, I think that although they not may be catchy jingles like the old midi tunes, there are tracks in Kameo that are memorable. The last track on the soundtrack (number 27) I think, was pretty damn good and memorable to me. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/samples/B000BKSJ2K/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/002-6659854-5747228?%5Fencoding=UTF8#disc_1

I have a lot of love for the old tunes (a la Mega Man 2), but I can't say I don't appreciate the higher quality of music and the use of real instruments today.

Fight for Freeform said:
No, the music done back then was far more complex and frankly took a lot more skill to make.

Today's music is far more layered and diverse.

Listen to Chrono Cross' OST and try making that argument again. :)

Liquid

Banned
i'm gonna agree with the original poster. game music these days DOES suck. but i'm gonna say it has nothing to do with complexity but everything to do with games trying to sound like movies or TV dramas or whatever. fully planned scores? wtf. it works for some games but not all. The last generation of awesome music IMO was on the saturn. NiGHTS chip produced music was just amazing. I will say though that one of the only companies that still manages to make their music sound "traditional" is namco. Klonoa 2 and the ridge racer games, even katamari still have very "game" sounding tracks and are very memorable.

Gawaian

Tabris said:
He is correct. Nintendo games music has gone down hill.

Wind Waker had the worst soundtrack out of all the main Zelda games. Mario Sunshine was also *yawn* for the music.

Now outside Nintendo, it's only improved.
Sorry, try again...

Deku

Banned
Sound composers used to have to manage with very limited sound resources. I think the Superfami has 3 or 4 channels of sound and the music has to be managed in that area and with limitaitons, composers usually think creatively as to how they will compose their music.

The music from Seiken Densetsu 2 and Zelda 3 were some of the best ever composed. Very catchy and memorable. I think the problem today is that music can be composed on high end soundstations or recorded live with no limitations to the composer, downsampled into an mp3 or alternative music file and simply streamed by the game.

While the absolute quality is higher (real instruments/orchestras are used) the actual compositions may not have improved considerably from the past, or in some cases, may have declined, due to the composers simply not being challenged by the hardware.

It's an open dabate whether it is good or bad overall that sound designers now have much less restrictions. I think the overall focus in on the good. That said, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that limitaitons tend to force more creativity at least among the standout titles.

Perhpas the games that benefit the most from the advance in technology are the B-list games that would have featured totally passble beeps passing for soundtracks now featuring full orchestral scores.

I guess orchestrated music can't be catchy... There are a few current-gen games with memorable music. Katamari Damacy. Rocks.

btw does anybody remember Rocket Knight Adventures for the Mega Drive? It had pretty good music too. I wonder if they'll ever release a sequel of this game...

FightyF

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
Listen to Chrono Cross' OST and try making that argument again. :)

So I have to buy the OST and ignore the music that was present in the game, or is it the very same?

Because seriously, compared to tracked music, it's nothing as far as complexity goes and challange goes.

You're trying comparing a Fresco in a Church to something drawn on a PC tablet.

Bloodwake

Umm... bad news.

I liked everything from DKC2 musicwise, except for that song (from the link in the original post)...

But then again, it was mostly because those stages made me want to pull my hair out.

It ultimately just comes down to perspective IMO. If most people in this thread claiming that older games had better songs had began playing games during the end of the ps1 era, and then went back and listened to 'classic games', I really question whether they'd have the same view.

Classic game music was certainly catchy, but I never found it to be very interesting or memorable besides maybe tunes that were repeatedly played at the end of a battle. But even with those songs, I don't find them interesting or pleasing enough to listen to outside of the game's world.

One of my favorite soundtrack's is that of Ridge Racer 4's but I'm sure that my nostalgia of the time surrounding the period in which I played that game has a lot to do with why I like it so much. I just don't see how it's even possible to debate, objectively, how would generation of games had better music than another. Could it just be that you've attached different feelings towards those games and those songs, presumably when you were young, than you have tot contemporary titles? Because, in all honesty, even when I was playing an NES and Genesis as a child, I never found the tunes to be very listetnable outside of the game. And even then, I've listened to the soundtracks of recent games (Phantom Dust and Killer 7 come to mind) that totally trounce any retro game's songs IMO.

It's like comparing a catchy tune or pop song to a full blown orchestra: the latter isn't as well remembered because of its complexity, but if you try to apply something as basic and rudimentary as an NES tune onto games that are increasingly becoming more immersive and lifelike, you may as well play Britney Spears over the soundtrack of a movie like Requiem for a Dream.

FightyF

Banned
I'm looking at it from a composition POV. You are looking at it from an emotional POV...and that could explain the difference in our opinions.

Fight for Freeform said:
I'm looking at it from a composition POV. You are looking at it from an emotional POV...and that could explain the difference in our opinions.

That might be it, but both methods of looking at it are still prone to being very subjective. I think it's just too easy to discount an entire generation of game music just because of the feelings that many people attach to older songs and I guess I just never got caught up in that when I was a kid.

I listen to that Donky Kong Country song that someone linked to and it sounds terribly dated and cheesy compared to the songs currently used. Had I been a fan of the game I would probably be fawning over it, but since I'm not, and I can listen to it without my feelings or memories about the game altering how good or bad of a song it is. I bet in 12 years, people will be posting about how awesome the songs during the ps2/x360 days were and how everything now is shit. As another posted said: nostalgia can be a bitch sometimes.

Eh, the old music is still great and theres still plenty of great videogame music today. It's just taste and nothing more. I don't feel nostaligia does/should really effect music unless your mr.in-denial for everything. I can see why one would like alot of the older music better because they use alot of sound styles and "instruments" that aren't too common these days but thats still just taste related.

Course if you want to argue about licensed music in games, then yeah, I definitely preferred the older times because you saw very little of that. But thats life in 2006 and they pretty much apply licensed music to everything not gaming as well(Remember when commercials commonly made up their own jingles instead of relying on someones memories of a good song to always remind them of the product in question).

Flo_Evans

wtf.

is this a joke? some kind of stealth "limitations improve creativity" thread?

NES music was memorable because it was an 8 bar loop repeating over and over and over. I used to go to bed in my superman undies and still hear the zelda theme droning in my head. Cause it was so good? No because I heard it 200,000,000,000 times.

GreekWolf

I think anything Jeremy Soule and Jesper Kyd produces is pretty amazing... and even though people hate on him ( me included :D ), Tallarico was a soundtrack god way back in the day.

Flo_Evans said:
wtf.

is this a joke? some kind of stealth "limitations improve creativity" thread?

NES music was memorable because it was an 8 bar loop repeating over and over and over. I used to go to bed in my superman undies and still hear the zelda theme droning in my head. Cause it was so good? No because I heard it 200,000,000,000 times.

:lol

that's what I'm sayin'

DJ Sl4m

I dont see what the problem is, with custom soundtracks you're only limited by your own imagination and music collection.

bionic77

For the most part I think music is horrible in the vast majority of video games. That was true 20 years ago and it is still true today. It seems companies place way too much emphasis on the graphics and not enough on music. There is some music today that is just as good or better than music from the earlier days, it is just you don't remember all the shitty music that was on the NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, etc. You just remember the tunes that stood out.

I actually feel that music always leaves more of an impact on me than graphics, but good music has always been rare in videogames.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
DJ Sl4m said:
I dont see what the problem is, with custom soundtracks you're only limited by your own imagination and music collection.
Custom soundtracks will also only encourage game developers to devote fewer resources towards the composition of new music, and without that, there won't be good VGM in the future at all.

Custom Soundtracks is basically the worst thing that has happened to VGM.

Stench said:
Let us not forget the contributions of one particular man - a man... who stood against the system... a man who prevailed, when others were shamed from their own pitiful failures.

Never forget the man... the myth... THE LEGEND.

image008.jpg

YASUNORI MITSUDA: KING OF KINGS

GOD

At first glance I thought that was Sha hua, from the Shenmue series...

art01.jpg

I had to do it... Sorry :lol

shafa.jpg

FightyF

Banned
pinkatrophe said:
That might be it, but both methods of looking at it are still prone to being very subjective. I think it's just too easy to discount an entire generation of game music just because of the feelings that many people attach to older songs and I guess I just never got caught up in that when I was a kid.

I listen to that Donky Kong Country song that someone linked to and it sounds terribly dated and cheesy compared to the songs currently used. Had I been a fan of the game I would probably be fawning over it, but since I'm not, and I can listen to it without my feelings or memories about the game altering how good or bad of a song it is. I bet in 12 years, people will be posting about how awesome the songs during the ps2/x360 days were and how everything now is shit. As another posted said: nostalgia can be a bitch sometimes.

I'm not discounting current gen music at all. If you ask me, I think because of the move to redbook audio, game music on the whole has improved across all games and genres, whereas in the older days, only a handful of titles each year had great music.

But I feel that some are dismissing the greatness of older music as "nostalgia" or simply listening to it over and over, when in reality, the music done back that was far more creative, focused on melody, and took more skill to create.

In case some don't understand why, I'll explain why it takes more skill. Firstly, they had to reproduce real sounds with an extremely limited synth (in the case of the Genesis an FM synth). Noise was used to reproduce percussion, and fancy tracking was used for apreggios and such. There were limited channels, that had to be shared with sound fx, and so you had to do more with less.

The Donkey Kong Country track wasn't a great example because that's an example of MIDI music, and not really synth music. It's more akin to what we hear today.

http://www.teamartail.com/midi/sonknux/flyingbattery_act2.mid

There's an example from Sonic and Knuckles, and as you can hear the bassline is pretty advanced, there's a lot of change and variety in the percussion, and it has an infectious lead. This midi is a bad example in some ways because you can't hear the actual sounds used to create the song, this is just an example of the composition. http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/1951/5193Here's an mp3 version though

DJ Sl4m

dog$ said:
LOL care to explain why you think otherwise LOL?

The satisfaction of playing awesome music in any and every game you own, far outweighs the very few games with decent music.
Most free music included in a game is free for a reason, it sucks ass and couldn't sell on it's own.

Besides thinking that just because the user has the option to use thier own soundtracks will mean every developer will stop trying to add decent music is hilarious.

Music producers in games have pride like everyone else who enjoys what they do in life, this will never change.

Fight for Freeform said:
In case some don't understand why, I'll explain why it takes more skill. Firstly, they had to reproduce real sounds with an extremely limited synth (in the case of the Genesis an FM synth). Noise was used to reproduce percussion, and fancy tracking was used for apreggios and such. There were limited channels, that had to be shared with sound fx, and so you had to do more with less.

Oh, I completely agree. It's really creative the amount of sounds and the complexities found on such relatively simple hardware back in the day.

My rant is basically targeted at those (and I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm not directing it specifically to anyone here) who only think that games made pre-1995 had good music or that music has gotten worse to the extreme that they can't appreciate some of the innovation still found today.

DJ Sl4m said:
The satisfaction of playing awesome music in any and every game you own, far outweighs the very few games with decent music.
Most free music included in a game is free for a reason, it sucks ass and couldn't sell on it's own.

Besides thinking that just because the user has the option to use thier own soundtracks will mean every developer will stop trying to add decent music is hilarious.

Music producers in games have pride like everyone else who enjoys what they do in life, this will never change.

I completely agree. It's really sad that more games didn't take advantage of the Xbox 1's ability to play custom soundtracks. Who's to say that every good game necessarily has the best soundtrack? I don't see how giving the user more options can be a bad thing in any case.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
dog$ said:
Custom soundtracks will also only encourage game developers to devote fewer resources towards the composition of new music, and without that, there won't be good VGM in the future at all.

Custom Soundtracks is basically the worst thing that has happened to VGM.

I agree with dog$ (woah).

Some of the previous posts in this thread describe exactly how I feel with some music nowadays. Especially in movies, you have a shitload of them that use orchestral scores, and they sound good because they're orchestral, but there's very few that are memorable, like Star Wars, and LotR. That's some of the problem I see with video game music as well.

Now, I'm not saying that music is by any means worse, just that, not too many composers try and stand out nowadays. *shrug*

Not all orchestrated music is forgettable either... Shenmue's main theme is just breathtaking. In fact, IMO one of the best game composers out there is Yuzo Koshiro. I still remember some of the best tracks he composed for Genesis' Streets of Rage II, I can't believe he could make such great music with such a limited hardware. It's too bad he didn't make music for more western-released games this generation.

Other games with great real-time music are those from the Final Fantasy series. Not so much the latest releases in the series, but some of the slightly previous ones, such as FFVIII. Its soundtrack was magnificent. FFVII's was also great, but not nearly as polished as FFVIII's piano tracks.

And as far as custom soundtracks is concerned, I wonder what the scenario will be like this gen, will Sony allow gamers to use their own soundtracks connecting their iPods or ripping cds into the machine? I'm not so sure about the latter...

dog$

Hates quality gaming
DJ Sl4m said:
thinking that just because the user has the option to use thier own soundtracks will mean every developer will stop trying to add decent music is hilarious.
Why?

You seriously couldn't forsee a bunch of executives at a game company looking over the budget and saying -

"Well, lesse... we have to cut costs somehow. Mm, well, kids these days want to use their own music in every single videogame they buy, so what's the point in paying someone here to make music that nobody wants to hear. Fuck it. Cut the music."
Of course, but music producers don't set the budgets. If a bunch of presidents get back data that nobody listens to the music they pay for, why fund it?
pinkatrophe said:
I don't see how giving the user more options can be a bad thing in any case.
It isn't as long as the option to both VGM and customized tracks is present, but I entirely forsee a future where numerous videogame companies stop providing in-house music if everyone only wants to use their own.

DJ Sl4m

dog$ said:
Why?

You seriously couldn't forsee a bunch of executives at a game company looking over the budget and saying -

"Well, lesse... we have to cut costs somehow. Mm, well, kids these days want to use their own music in every single videogame they buy, so what's the point in paying someone here to make music that nobody wants to hear. Fuck it. Cut the music."Of course, but music producers don't set the budgets. If a bunch of presidents get back data that nobody listens to the music they pay for, why fund it?
It isn't as long as the option to both VGM and customized tracks is present, but I entirely forsee a future where numerous videogame companies stop providing in-house music if everyone only wants to use their own.

I seriously cant see them ever getting to the point where most companies cut music entirely, ever.

And the majority of VG music is terrible these days, garage band rock = yuck. If it were good, there wouldn't be such an appreiciation or need for custom soundtracks.

Shouta

I think video game music is gotten better in general. However, it isn't as catchy anymore. You need to really listen to it to appreciate it nowadays.

Jiggy

Liquid said:
i'm gonna agree with the original poster. game music these days DOES suck. but i'm gonna say it has nothing to do with complexity but everything to do with games trying to sound like movies or TV dramas or whatever. fully planned scores? wtf. it works for some games but not all.
I agree with this.

Drakken

There was lots of great music back then, and there's lots of great music now. Same goes for bad music. I don't think music has gotten worse or better, besides the sound quality of course.

Drakken said:
There was lots of great music back then, and there's lots of great music now. Same goes for bad music. I don't think music has gotten worse or better, besides the sound quality of course.

I agree with this guy.

Top Bottom