• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer January cover - No Man's Sky

bsod

Banned
It certainly says more than your claim that the game is just about landing and taking off from procedurally generated planets, with some space combat on the side. Don't hold people who are hyped for this game accountable for how accurate they've been about the promises its made when you're hardly doing any better yourself.

I gotta strongly disagree. The site uses more words to describe the same thing I am. If I'm wrong, please demonstrate that instead of simply saying I'm wrong.

Tell me something, do you really think the people who are hyped for this game aren't also interested in those "missing" details?

Of course they are, but that doesn't mean they haven't, at the same time, decided that this game will be great.

Do you think those details won't come in time for you or anyone else to make a sufficiently informed purchase decision?

I think more often than not, people base their purchasing decisions on emotion rather than being informed. Look at how crazy pre-order culture is despite, time after time, these games people have hyped up have turned out to be mediocre at best.

bsod

Banned
Man the cynical skepticism veering into some weird kind of disdain for the hype surrounding this game is so deflating.

I really hope I'm not coming off cynical. I'm really not. I have the best wishes for the game, and I am excited for it. I'm just taking a wait-and-see approach, and I'm genuinely a little bewildered that after so many games have not live up to the massive amount of hype in the past several years, people are still participating in the same behavior. Which, to me, can hurt the game in the long run. I mean, it's great that they can sell a lot of pre-orders, but not so great that the game gets reviewed more harshly due to disappointment.

shandy706

OK5pFQH.gif

When I land on this randomly generated planet (or one like it) is there potential for cities, things to do, creatures, hidden discoveries?

I've not kept up with anything outside of reading initial ideas/thoughts a long while back.

Edit** Just watched their "about" video on youtube.

If it is really this quality at release...

Diplo-1024x576.png

..awesome.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Do people not have imaginations anymore? Why does a game need to have a "Cinematic", force fed story? I mean, what happened to making your story while you play the game?

Minecraft had no plot, and pretty much only one objective (survive) until the ender dragon was added. That game has been a monumental success.

No Man's Sky will be the space version of minecraft with the goals of survival and reaching the Center of the Universe (Ender Dragon). Along the way you are free to do whatever you want. Your journey IS the story.

hawk2025

I don't even understand what it means when people say this game has too much hype or that they don't get what everyone is seeing anymore.

Every single thread on NMS devolves into this. If anything, I would say this game has had a fairly negative reception in the community since after the initial reveal.

KooopaKid

Banned
Do people not have imaginations anymore? Why does a game need to have a "Cinematic", force fed story? I mean, what happened to making your story while you play the game?

Minecraft had no plot, and pretty much only one objective (survive) until the ender dragon was added. That game has been a monumental success.

No Man's Sky will be the space version of minecraft with the goals of survival and reaching the Center of the Universe (Ender Dragon). Along the way you are free to do whatever you want. Your journey IS the story.

Which is?

Is No Man's Sky about survival? What's the goal? Minecraft has a goal.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Which is?

Is No Man's Sky about survival? What's the goal? Minecraft has a goal.

Goals: Survive and reach the center of the universe.

Things you can do while achieving those goals: Hunt wildlife, mine ore, explore planets, fight robots, attack space stations, be a space pirate, dog fight in space, upgrade gear, upgrade space ship, buy new space ships, and stuff they have not told us yet.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I saw it. Seems like the goal is to get to the center of the galaxy, but then what?

We don't know. That would be like asking about the ending of your most expected game/film/book.

I saw it. Seems like the goal is to get to the center of the galaxy, but then what?

You can presumably keep playing the game and upgrading your ship. Think of what you can do in Minecraft after you beat the Ender Dragon. Would you ask this for most games? So you beat the final boss and then what?

While his post is on this page (for me, at least, you 50ppp [or less!] heathen), I still don't really see a point. It seems like a giant sandbox... which is much the way that I see Minecraft and why it doesn't appeal to me.

I'm going to lump this game in the "I guess I just don't get it..." pile for now.

Damn, can't believe I called myself out as being a 50ppp'er. Well I'm proud of it! There I said it!

I keep comparing it to Minecraft, and yeah if you don't see the appeal in that game I doubt you will see the appeal of NMS.

Tigress

If all the info about the game is on their site and E3 videos, then I have accounted all of the information. Try again.

I'm not saying don't get hyped. Hell, I'm hyped for it. What you're apparently having difficulty in understanding is that it does the game no good when people are creating false expectations and that is what the hype is being built on--an abstract idea--and I'd hate the game to be blasted because it didn't meet those unrealistic expectations. I've seen it happen dozens of times, especially with MMOs.

I see you avoided entirely telling us what you think people are overhyped about which was also asked in that post? Like what expectations are you seeing that people are overhyping? Since you say you have read all the info and know everything everyone else does. What exactly do you think we expect out of it that wasn't said in all the info given?

Actually, I was kinda disappointed when I learned it had some sort of major goal.

bsod

Banned
I see you avoided entirely telling us what you think people are overhyped about which was also asked in that post? Like what expectations are you seeing that people are overhyping? Since you say you have read all the info and know everything everyone else does. What exactly do you think we expect out of it that wasn't said in all the info given?

I already addressed that on the last page if you would have bothered to look.

Tigress

The goal of Fallout 3 is to get clear water for everyone, but then what?

Or in other words, really? You can pretty much say that statement about any game's end goal... yeah, so you did this, then what?

Honestly, if a game has a end, it has an end, there is no then what. What I think is more exciting about No Man's Sky is it seems it doesn't have to have an end unless you want it. You can create your own stories. Or you can find the end of it if you want.

I already addressed that on the last page if you would have bothered to look.

Um, I just finished reading this page.. where did you address this cause I apparently still have missed it (and I've read every post since that last post to this one at this point). Certainly it wasn't on this last page like you claim cause i just combed it over and over to see what I missed.. maybe the page before this one?

Edit: Ooooh, I get it after combing over the previous page. When you gave that very vague comment about people's expectations of depth... coming from the guy who is complaining about how vague the game description is I find that very funny! Also, no, that vague statement doesn't at all show that you have any concept of what people are expecting from it that makes you the expert to say people are expecting to much.

GI did an old preview where they explained some of the things that you can do in the game

That's obviously probably not going to be appealing to people that want or need a big story to move them along, but there are a lot of people that have been hoping for a game that's really about exploration to come along. And right now it seems like NMS is hitting those right notes since it seems like a space exploration game where you can explore the way you want.

Wow. If I could get something as fun and interesting as Tradewars (which it sound like they may be trying to do) I'm way in. Scanning planets, going between trade ports, upgrading ships, all sound wonderful. Hopefully you will be able to use those resources to build citadels on planets that are hospitable enough (like in Tradewars) which will increase resource capabilities which intern make you more money. Defending your citadel from invaders or invading a few other plantets and nuking them off the face of the universe. soooo good.

Of course it could be nothing like this. But as of right now, the possibilities are limitless.

Enco

I'll wait until we get some decent gameplay that shows off the game mechanics before getting hyped.

The goal of Fallout 3 is to get clear water for everyone, but then what?

Or in other words, really? You can pretty much say that statement about any game's end goal... yeah, so you did this, then what?

Agreed. It is what you make of it. I love exploring, so the game for me will be traveling. Just as I did on Minecraft.

Bizzquik

All these good games coming soon and the pick No Man's Sky?

Honestly, I'm still with this guy.
We know so little about this game, yet people are deciding its the coolest things since ever....

I am glad it got a GI cover, though. My interest in following the monthly hype for GI covers died when we got one for Resident Evil: Revelations 2....which is just Capcom's half-hearted take on TellTale Games' "Walking Dead" series (with more shooting!).

At least No Man's Sky is a new IP trying to do something original. Hopefully we'll have a much better idea about this title after reading the magazine impressions.

E92 M3

About to leave on a flight so I have to do this crazy fast. GI info on NMS:

Game starts with trippy space trip like end of 2001. You just appear on a random planet, everyone will start on a different one. It could be very difficult with tough monsters, or have rare items or be boring. It will be different for everyone.

A beacon on your mini map leads you to your ship, you can leave at any time. Map shows the entire galaxy, different zoom level lets you see stars up close. Stars have a color that indicate the kind of resources they may have. You can scan their solar systems to see if there is a space station or a planet with points of interest, if it is previously explored you will see exactly what is on the planet.

At first you need a new hyperdrive and fuel so you cant go far. you need money to buy upgrades and fuel, basically everything you do deposits currency into your account. So you can blow up rocks to gather resources, blow up other ships, discovering new areas ect all give currency.

Every solar systems has a trading post or space station where you can cash this stuff in. The trading post is on the planet so you don't have to jump to space every time you want to cash in. Each post will have ships coming in and generally active. You can view ships you would like to buy, see upgrades ect.

You can attack incoming ships and steal their cargo as well, doing so will get the local police on you. If you escape they will put a bounty on you so that you can't go around the base without being attacked.

Each solar system has a space station, depending on how big it is shows the level of items in it. Large stations have much better ships and upgrades to buy. You can attack the station, can't blow it up but you can lower its ranking. You get nothing for it, they simply allow you to be an ass if you want.

Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.

Space combat is arcadey pick up and play style. They describe the combat like halo, you will need to determine which enemy to attack first. The smaller easy to kill ships or the bigger ones with shields which they describe as elites. Some ships will give shields to other smaller ones. Some you won't be able to stand up against until you upgrade.

Traveling to the center is the main goal but devs don't care if you don't care to go there. They say they want it to take 40-100 hours to reach there depending on how much you focus on getting to the center. Some planets have temples with portals that will randomly transport you closer to the center, you never know what you will find on the other side.

If you lose your ship, you will escape in a pod and land in the closest planet. You lose what items you had on the ship but keep your personal upgrades and your bank account. Your goal is to buy another ship. If you die on land you get taken back to the pod site and lose everything you gathered since leaving the pod. Dieing closer to the center of the galaxy is far tougher as planets could be brutal to escape.

With multiplayer they don't want people to meet up, no voice chat. They talk about how you don't know what you look like so someone else seeing you will be the one way to see what you look like. I'm hazy on that section, I'll read it again later.

They have a chart of possible upgrades for your suit, your ship and your multitool. Standard stuff like shields, jet pack, armor, power, fuel capacity, hyperdrive, etc.

If I forgot anything I will update later, got to go. If mods want to make a new thread to ahead, I'm out of time.

Awesome! Everything is clear to me except the death mechanics. Would love to learn a bit more information about it.

You probably aren't reading it properly. Which part confuses you?
I'm not confused about anything. Have fun beating around the bush with somebody else, time for me to move on.

Back on topic:
Some interesting new details, thanks for this. Did not expect there to be "local police", that and the robots protecting nature on the planets sound like they might add some interesting dynamics to the game. I like how losing your ship and dying are sounding so far as well, especially how dying closer to the center can make things more brutal for you. The temples with portals sound pretty cool as well, makes me think of stargate.

Can't wait to see more of the game throughout this month, hope we get another straight gameplay video!

7Cdrxd2.gif

Someone hold me. This is what I've been waiting for. Forget Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. I want this.

Yeah I'm probably biased but I'd prefer to be on ground than Elite which seems to be always be on the ship. That game does a lot of its own cool things and features to maybe not allow for ground stuff but I'm more a FPS guy than space sim guy.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I gotta strongly disagree. The site uses more words to describe the same thing I am.
ORLY?

All we know is there are a lot of procedurally generated planets and you can travel to their atmosphere and land on the surface seamlessly from space. Oh, and there's some space shooting too. That's literally it.
If that's literally it, then there's apparently no actual planetary exploration, no ground combat, no resource mining, no trading, no artifact discovery, no cataloging of lifeforms, no upgrading of ship or suit, no sharing discoveries with other players. These are the things the About page use more words to say that the game includes above and beyond what you claimed it does. Literally.

Does it fill in all the blanks? Of course not, but if you're going to admonish others for hyping the game, you might want to start from a position where you're not so obviously downplaying and cherrypicking what actually has been promised.

Of course they are, but that doesn't mean they haven't, at the same time, decided that this game will be great.
Heaven forbid anyone engage in some optimism, until such time as the info dictates otherwise!

I think more often than not, people base their purchasing decisions on emotion rather than being informed.
Maybe, but that doesn't address the question I asked. And it does raise another question as to why you'd bother criticizing others about their hype levels if you believe most purchasing decisions are based on emotion anyway. Do you just like telling people, "I told you so?"

I don't even understand what it means when people say this game has too much hype or that they don't get what everyone is seeing anymore.

Every single thread on NMS devolves into this. If anything, I would say this game has had a fairly negative reception in the community since after the initial reveal.

the same people who got excited as hell from the same games again and again,,its ridiculous

Top Bottom