• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer January cover - No Man's Sky

Did they ever show real gameplay and what the goal is in the game?

Sure the game looks beautiful, many games with these colorful artstyles do, but doesn't matter if everytime I see something of it my reaction is "And?"

Rime even more than NMS though

Unless i've missed something :

What you'll do : explore planets
What is your goal : get to the center of the galaxy
Why ? : they haven't said yet

Not sure about "real gameplay" but i'm quite sure the reveal was in-game footage.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Dunno. Elite Dangerous isn't backed by a big publisher right?

Thanks for reminding me about this game, I almost forgot about it.

About to leave on a flight so I have to do this crazy fast. GI info on NMS:

Game starts with trippy space trip like end of 2001. You just appear on a random planet, everyone will start on a different one. It could be very difficult with tough monsters, or have rare items or be boring. It will be different for everyone.

A beacon on your mini map leads you to your ship, you can leave at any time. Map shows the entire galaxy, different zoom level lets you see stars up close. Stars have a color that indicate the kind of resources they may have. You can scan their solar systems to see if there is a space station or a planet with points of interest, if it is previously explored you will see exactly what is on the planet.

At first you need a new hyperdrive and fuel so you cant go far. you need money to buy upgrades and fuel, basically everything you do deposits currency into your account. So you can blow up rocks to gather resources, blow up other ships, discovering new areas ect all give currency.

Every solar systems has a trading post or space station where you can cash this stuff in. The trading post is on the planet so you don't have to jump to space every time you want to cash in. Each post will have ships coming in and generally active. You can view ships you would like to buy, see upgrades ect.

You can attack incoming ships and steal their cargo as well, doing so will get the local police on you. If you escape they will put a bounty on you so that you can't go around the base without being attacked.

Each solar system has a space station, depending on how big it is shows the level of items in it. Large stations have much better ships and upgrades to buy. You can attack the station, can't blow it up but you can lower its ranking. You get nothing for it, they simply allow you to be an ass if you want.

Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.

Space combat is arcadey pick up and play style. They describe the combat like halo, you will need to determine which enemy to attack first. The smaller easy to kill ships or the bigger ones with shields which they describe as elites. Some ships will give shields to other smaller ones. Some you won't be able to stand up against until you upgrade.

Traveling to the center is the main goal but devs don't care if you don't care to go there. They say they want it to take 40-100 hours to reach there depending on how much you focus on getting to the center. Some planets have temples with portals that will randomly transport you closer to the center, you never know what you will find on the other side.

If you lose your ship, you will escape in a pod and land in the closest planet. You lose what items you had on the ship but keep your personal upgrades and your bank account. Your goal is to buy another ship. If you die on land you get taken back to the pod site and lose everything you gathered since leaving the pod. Dieing closer to the center of the galaxy is far tougher as planets could be brutal to escape.

With multiplayer they don't want people to meet up, no voice chat. They talk about how you don't know what you look like so someone else seeing you will be the one way to see what you look like. I'm hazy on that section, I'll read it again later.

They have a chart of possible upgrades for your suit, your ship and your multitool. Standard stuff like shields, jet pack, armor, power, fuel capacity, hyperdrive, etc.

If I forgot anything I will update later, got to go. If mods want to make a new thread to ahead, I'm out of time.

Thanks for the time spent on writing this in details.

For me it sounds repetitive like hell. Or a FPS with elements of arcade space fighting with random generated maps. But who knows, I will see closer to release.

BouncyFrag

My favorite bit from the video. Alas, it goes by too quickly...

v_Jz59_X.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game and the people behind it put a big ass smile on my face. I really hope they deliver on their vision.

kyser73

I agree. yea its a nice looking game but what is the gameplay and whats the goal? you can explore the galaxy and shit, ok, so what? what do i do in these planets and why do I want to travel to other ones?

http://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/2o721q/game_informer_new_information_list/

Wow at your post generally. Its been restated several times that the initial game main goal is to get to the centre of the galaxy.

Just googling 'No Mans Sky' will bring a whole wealth of articles up about it, but y'know, clearly a bit too much effort.

I play Space Engine (not Engineers) on a weekly basis and I'm always finding something entertaining, discovering cool stars, finding asteroids, etc.

And that "game" is hardly a game. You pretty much just move your camera around the universe (there is a ship mode, admittedly). Nothing to interact with on planets, and the planet surfaces are usually pretty basic.

So.....yeah, I'm pretty sure No Man's Sky will at least be as interesting if not more interesting than Space Engine, a free-to-download "game" developed by one person that I very much enjoy. People need to chill and stop expecting this game to be the "be all end all" title. It'll be a cool leap forward and other games will probably try to imitate.

E92 M3

I play Space Engine (not Engineers) on a weekly basis and I'm always finding something entertaining, discovering cool stars, finding asteroids, etc.

And that "game" is hardly a game. You pretty much just move your camera around the universe (there is a ship mode, admittedly). Nothing to interact with on planets, and the planet surfaces are usually pretty basic.

So.....yeah, I'm pretty sure No Man's Sky will at least be as interesting if not more interesting than Space Engine, a free-to-download "game" developed by one person that I very much enjoy. People need to chill and stop expecting this game to be the "be all end all" title. It'll be a cool leap forward and other games will probably try to imitate.

I wish I could play that maxed out with the Rift

Other than Valve and CD Project Red, an indie studio releasing a $60 game is virtually unpredented.

I could be wrong though. I expected a procedurally generated game to mean this was going to be a ~$20 game ala Minecraft.

If it was $60, wouldn't it have to be a physical copy and not just digital? Personally, I would like something physical to hold like kickstarter games or some indie games.

B2LIhnFCIAAuacV.jpg

rich7sena

Banned
I think a lot of people are misinterpreting what procedural means with this game. I don't think it's procedural on the end of the player (like Minecraft), but it gives a small team the ability to create something much larger.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the technology is finally there for a game like this and I'm glad it's getting made.

noah111

Still Alive
I hope you can also actually fly that entire trip and not just "skip" into space like in this clip.
Doubt that's user-end gameplay thing.

Also, he's not 'skipping'. Notice how lightly his finger is on the L2 trigger when zooming out on the planet. He then pushes the trigger it more fully. Speed is a tricky thing with these distances since obviously what seems slow in space is super snappy on a planet/low orbit.

('god mode' in space sims have always had to deal with these kind of things in terms of replicating flight and manipulating speed, btw)

About to leave on a flight so I have to do this crazy fast. GI info on NMS:

Game starts with trippy space trip like end of 2001. You just appear on a random planet, everyone will start on a different one. It could be very difficult with tough monsters, or have rare items or be boring. It will be different for everyone.

A beacon on your mini map leads you to your ship, you can leave at any time. Map shows the entire galaxy, different zoom level lets you see stars up close. Stars have a color that indicate the kind of resources they may have. You can scan their solar systems to see if there is a space station or a planet with points of interest, if it is previously explored you will see exactly what is on the planet.

At first you need a new hyperdrive and fuel so you cant go far. you need money to buy upgrades and fuel, basically everything you do deposits currency into your account. So you can blow up rocks to gather resources, blow up other ships, discovering new areas ect all give currency.

Every solar systems has a trading post or space station where you can cash this stuff in. The trading post is on the planet so you don't have to jump to space every time you want to cash in. Each post will have ships coming in and generally active. You can view ships you would like to buy, see upgrades ect.

You can attack incoming ships and steal their cargo as well, doing so will get the local police on you. If you escape they will put a bounty on you so that you can't go around the base without being attacked.

Each solar system has a space station, depending on how big it is shows the level of items in it. Large stations have much better ships and upgrades to buy. You can attack the station, can't blow it up but you can lower its ranking. You get nothing for it, they simply allow you to be an ass if you want.

Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched. So the more you get resources or kill alien animals the more these things will come at you. They will come in teams, flank, etc. tougher ones will appear close to the center of the galaxy.

Space combat is arcadey pick up and play style. They describe the combat like halo, you will need to determine which enemy to attack first. The smaller easy to kill ships or the bigger ones with shields which they describe as elites. Some ships will give shields to other smaller ones. Some you won't be able to stand up against until you upgrade.

Traveling to the center is the main goal but devs don't care if you don't care to go there. They say they want it to take 40-100 hours to reach there depending on how much you focus on getting to the center. Some planets have temples with portals that will randomly transport you closer to the center, you never know what you will find on the other side.

If you lose your ship, you will escape in a pod and land in the closest planet. You lose what items you had on the ship but keep your personal upgrades and your bank account. Your goal is to buy another ship. If you die on land you get taken back to the pod site and lose everything you gathered since leaving the pod. Dieing closer to the center of the galaxy is far tougher as planets could be brutal to escape.

With multiplayer they don't want people to meet up, no voice chat. They talk about how you don't know what you look like so someone else seeing you will be the one way to see what you look like. I'm hazy on that section, I'll read it again later.

They have a chart of possible upgrades for your suit, your ship and your multitool. Standard stuff like shields, jet pack, armor, power, fuel capacity, hyperdrive, etc.

If I forgot anything I will update later, got to go. If mods want to make a new thread to ahead, I'm out of time.
Awesome info, thanks. Not sure I get the 'robot on every planet' bit. Also disappointing about the lack of multi-player in any normal sense, but I see what they're going for. Just don't see a huge disadvantage in adding it (perhaps it'd be neat if reaching the center of the galaxy travels you to a new galaxy where you can play with all other 'pros' together).

You can presumably keep playing the game and upgrading your ship. Think of what you can do in Minecraft after you beat the Ender Dragon. Would you ask this for most games? So you beat the final boss and then what?

Damn, can't believe I called myself out as being a 50ppp'er. Well I'm proud of it! There I said it!

I keep comparing it to Minecraft, and yeah if you don't see the appeal in that game I doubt you will see the appeal of NMS.

Well, I see the appeal of Minecraft but it's extremely boring for me, but NMS is one of my most anticipated upcoming games. Could mean that I'm gonna be extremely disappointed by NMS, or it could fulfill/exceed my expectations, or something in between.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So much complaining on this forum every damn day about how every mainstream game is the same and nobody takes risks, and yet No Man's Sky gets all this nonsense and hate. And people wonder why devs play it safe so often?

Scrabble

Did they ever show real gameplay and what the goal is in the game?

Sure the game looks beautiful, many games with these colorful artstyles do, but doesn't matter if everytime I see something of it my reaction is "And?"

Rime even more than NMS though

Why is exploration not "real gameplay"? Gameplay can be more than a combat loop that gets repeated over and over and over again.

Forkball

Why is exploration not "real gameplay"? Gameplay can be more than a combat loop that gets repeated over and over and over again.

Exploration has to be rewarded though.

I hope this game isn't just some lame resource grind. "Mine 500 Virilliam to get off the planet! Ok, on this new planet, mine 450 Kryptiam!"

Top Bottom