• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

DarkPhoenix

Neo Member
Finally new info about this game! Underworld was everything! But The last game was also perfect in his own way, I only missed the different locations, the island was great but I was waiting something else, maybe exploring another island near the main one.

So for this game they said that we'll have at least two locations and one of them will be Siberia? Wut?

I think that was directed at GI, not you :)

ah, okay.

we haven't seen very much footage of this game yet have we? so far we've seen more of Uc4 than of this even though they're both getting the release window. It'll be interesting to see who will impress us more this E3.

deeptech

Was that there in the previous game? Can't remember.

Similar , you could kill animals to get upgrade points.

But it actually reminded me of FC3/4. It's sounds like it's gonna be exactly the same mechanic. And i don't think Lara needs that , she's supposed to already have all the shit she needs. But , what would a "AAA" game today be without crafting,experience farming and 'survival'

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
sorry, I didn't have time to watch the video when I posted it but I figured others would be interested. I also don't think I've ever posted news articles particularly about unreleased games before

Sorry if I wasn't clear...I do not like simple lists buried within videos.

Dahaka

4-Tigres.jpg

Yep, this thing owns lions. LIONS.

viveks86

Similar , you could kill animals to get upgrade points.

But it actually reminded me of FC3/4. It's sounds like it's gonna be exactly the same mechanic. And i don't think Lara needs that , she's supposed to already have all the shit she needs. But , what would a "AAA" game today be without crafting,experience farming and 'survival'

Ahhh I see. Yeah I don't remember killing any animals outside of those which attacked me in the previous one and still managed to max out many weapons. Not too thrilled by the prospect of farming as I'm sure it's just a bunch of busywork that gets boring real fast. We'll see.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Unlike others, i hope they dont de-emphasize the combat as that was the best thing i liked about the first game. They should really take that aspect to a whole new level and make it even more emphasized. The upgrade system and CQC elements just pushed that aspect of the game far above the jankyness of the first 3 UC3's combat wise. And it was a much much needed upgrade to TR's original combat where your just jumping around trying to lock onto a bear or some bats.

There can be other things added without taking away what made the first game really good

Setsuna

Ahhh I see. Yeah I don't remember killing any animals outside of those which attacked me in the previous one and still managed to max out many weapons. Not too thrilled by the prospect of farming as I'm sure it's just a bunch of busywork that gets boring real fast. We'll see.

Better than having the game devoid of enemies at the end

dex3108

Unlike others, i hope they dont de-emphasize the combat as that was the best thing i liked about the first game. They should really take that aspect to a whole new level and make it even more emphasized. The upgrade system and CQC elements just pushed that aspect of the game far above the jankyness of the first 3 UC3's combat wise. And it was a much much needed upgrade to TR's original combat where your just jumping around trying to lock onto a bear or some bats.

There can be other things added without taking away what made the first game really good

No, no and no. TR 2013 had bigger body count than every other TR combined and that was big issue. Point of the previous TR games was that human encounters were limited and that Lara was alone in wilderness so she needs to deal with non human enemies. I would rather have better puzzle elements and better tombs than deep weapon upgrade system. Tomb Raider doesn't need one Lara Croft is wealthy and she should use her money to equip herself with best possible gear from the start.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No, no and no. TR 2013 had bigger body count than every other TR combined and that was big issue. Point of the previous TR games was that human encounters were limited and that Lara was alone in wilderness so she needs to deal with non human enemies. I would rather have better puzzle elements and better tombs than deep weapon upgrade system. Tomb Raider doesn't need one Lara Croft is wealthy and she should use her money to equip herself with best possible gear from the start.

???

Traversal can be emphasized in the game, same with puzzles and platforming as well as combat against non human opponents as they are doing in this new game. Just don't take away from the combat to do it. I don't really care how many actual people Indiana jones, Nathan Drake or Lara croft kill as long as its satisfying, and i thought it was really satisfying in the first game. So i want more of it, simple.

That whole body count criticism i never really understood as an issue for the first game. Yeah its unrealistic for a single girl to kill like 500 people, but who cares, its fun.

dex3108

???

Traversal can be emphasized in the game, same with puzzles and platforming as well as combat against non human opponents as they are doing in this new game. Just don't take away from the combat to do it. I don't really care how many actual people Indiana jones, Nathan Drake or Lara croft kill as long as its satisfying, and i thought it was really satisfying in the first game. So i want more of it, simple.

That whole body count criticism i never really understood as an issue for the first game. Yeah its unrealistic for a single girl to kill like 500 people, but who cares, its fun.

In TR game it is not fun at all. If i want to play shooter there are many games out there. I want to play puzzle adventure when i play TR game. There is nothing fun about shooting hundreds enemies just because.

Ascenion

Perhaps they could focus more on the supernatural enemies? Would you have felt better if you had been fighting more of
Himiko's guards and less of Mathias' survivors?
which seemed odd anyway. I was fine with the amount of killing but I agree the human body count felt wrong to me mostly for logical story reasons. Also are we even sure she is rich in this universe? Money seemed to be an issue in TR2013 if I recall correctly.

dex3108

Perhaps they could focus more on the supernatural enemies? Would you have felt better if you had been fighting more of
Himiko's guards and less of Mathias' survivors?
which seemed odd anyway. I was fine with the amount of killing but I agree the human body count felt wrong to me mostly for logical story reasons. Also are we even sure she is rich in this universe? Money seemed to be an issue in TR2013 if I recall correctly.

Occasional encounters are ok no matter what enemies you are fighting but in TR that part was ridiculous. Also they are constantly talking about survival but unfortunately in TR survival part was "survive hundreds of enemies" not take care of your health, ammunition etc. IF they keep that in RoTR it will be huge letdown. Game can be fun and challenging without waves and waves of enemies.

MilkyJoe

I'm crying. This is the best cover of all time. I'm seriously crying.

KaneWTF.gif

Now that's off my chest.

I was never into Tomb Raider and only bought the Previous one on XBone due to the game drought. Now this game is up there, second only to Star Wars, for the games I am most looking forward to!

Ascenion

Occasional encounters are ok no matter what enemies you are fighting but in TR that part was ridiculous. Also they are constantly talking about survival but unfortunately in TR survival part was "survive hundreds of enemies" not take care of your health, ammunition etc. IF they keep that in RoTR it will be huge letdown. Game can be fun and challenging without waves and waves of enemies.

I agree that was ridiculous given the setting. I kept wondering the entire time where the hell the enemies kept coming from. I think the encounter number given what was going on was okay but the complete disregard for life with a survival theme just didn't gel. I kept questioning where all this ammo came from, where the infrastructure came from and well yeah I think you get it. I knew it wasn't going to be survival horror-ish where every bullet counts but I was at least expecting a greater emphasis on not killing everything or other options like stealth.

Amir0x

Banned
"PS4" mentioned 192 times in this thread so far (not including this post).

Sony fanboys are still reeling from the fact this will be the first TR since the Saturn original that isn't there day and date. SquareEnix in their illustrious wisdom thought it prudent to abandon their most potent fanbase, so of course there's still going to be some reverberation. You should see the Tomb Raider forums when this announcement happened, was apocalypse on Earth. Like with Bayonetta 2 though, those topics eventually stopped being polluted by the wish for it on PS360/PS4/One. It was still mentioned from time to time, but promptly taken care of and/or nobody responded or cared about those folk.

I think that'll go away as things get closer to launch, only so many times people can mention it's timed exclusive and will be on the other systems eventually before people get the point.

I keep trying to tell them it's a good thing anyway that they shouldn't even hold their breath, contain the TR2013 virus to less platforms, less people will be infected by the disease of developer coddling checklist game design, but they hear me not! (bless us Father, for we have sinned.)

Ralemont

not me
Can we at least all agree that the set pieces/canned sequences should either be severely limited or eliminated? Whether you want to do more puzzles/platforming or more combat, the crap with falling structures and such limits both. It pissed me off to no end in TR 2013.

Amir0x

Banned
Can we at least all agree that the set pieces/canned sequences should either be severely limited or eliminated? Whether you want to do more puzzles/platforming or more combat, the crap with falling structures and such limits both. It pissed me off to no end in TR 2013.

No because some people like that stuff too. Some people wouldn't mind if a game was just 8 hours of stuff falling around them with only the ability to press forward so that more stuff could fall around them in a different room.

And because these games keep selling, it infects more and more games. Less diversity in every category. AAA titles and gamers know what they want, thank god for the few devs/pubs left that aren't risk averse is all I can say. Saving the industry one bold new idea at a time :p

Can't we get a summary in the OP of all the info and pics so far? I think I'm out of the loop.

There is a summary topic for this info right here.

Enjoy :)

Ralemont

not me
No because some people like that stuff too. Some people wouldn't mind if a game was just 8 hours of stuff falling around them with only the ability to press forward so that more stuff could fall around them in a different room.

Do you have a quote of someone expressing this desire?

Amir0x

Banned
Do you have a quote of someone expressing this desire?

No, because it was hyperbole-for-effect, to illustrate a point. I absolutely have seen people argue however that they want more set pieces, not less. That's my point: plenty of people are not going to agree to your terms, because they think this cinematic style of gameplay is actually a step forward.

You'll see them using the term 'evolution' a lot whenever there are huge gaps in their ability to defend their positions on these subjects. Like this: "It was time for the Tomb Raider series to evolve. Now it did. Thank you Crystal Dynamics!" Of course, nothing in these games are an evolution, they're the exact same thing we've been playing a hundred times in a hundred different checklist games last gen and this gen. A true evolution would have been to take the unique gameplay of OG Tomb Raider - of which once again there are now zero other games in the market like it - and actually iterate on its foundation, because there are elements that can be "modernized" so-to-speak whilst not trying to coddle modern gamers in the process. Instead they threw out a true original for another run on the me-too treadmill.

I don't think there was a single substantively new idea that TR brought to the table to be honest (was that mountain climbing pick new? I think I played a game with it before, can't be 100% though), and the ones it aped were just as poorly conceived as where they came from. I mean it's telling how conceptually fucked the game was when they actually had decent mechanics for platforming (the way Lara jumps/momentum/etc) but they created an entire game in which none of that mattered since the platforming segments were insultingly easy, required literally zero skill and had such huge windows of error that the game will basically catapult you forward to put you in the right place just so you'll survive these set pieces.

But in the end, many people like those set pieces. They like seeing things impressively collapse about them and playing pretend that they're actually doing anything of substance during these moments. I've seen people actually say they don't play games to have a challenge or to have to think (this isn't hyperbole-for-effect). So, I recognize this is a lost cause. But I am a glutton for punishment, I have too much invested in the TR series. I have to see yet again if their talk about more complex tombs and puzzles is anything but lip service (bet a bottom dollar it's nonsense).

No, because it was hyperbole-for-effect, to illustrate a point. I absolutely have seen people argue however that they want more set pieces, not less. That's my point: plenty of people are not going to agree to your terms, because they think this cinematic style of gameplay is actually a step forward.

You'll see them using the term 'evolution' a lot whenever there are huge gaps in their ability to defend their positions on these subjects. Like this: "It was time for the Tomb Raider series to evolve. Now it did. Thank you Crystal Dynamics!" Of course, nothing in these games are an evolution, they're the exact same thing we've been playing a hundred times in a hundred different checklist games last gen and this gen. A true evolution would have been to take the unique gameplay of OG Tomb Raider - of which once again there are now zero other games in the market like it - and actually iterate on its foundation, because there are elements that can be "modernized" so-to-speak whilst not trying to coddle modern gamers in the process. Instead they threw out a true original for another run on the me-too treadmill.

I don't think there was a single substantively new idea that TR brought to the table to be honest (was that mountain climbing pick new? I think I played a game with it before, can't be 100% though), and the ones it aped were just as poorly conceived as where they came from. I mean it's telling how conceptually fucked the game was when they actually had decent mechanics for platforming (the way Lara jumps/momentum/etc) but they created an entire game in which none of that mattered since the platforming segments were insultingly easy, required literally zero skill and had such huge windows of error that the game will basically catapult you forward to put you in the right place just so you'll survive these set pieces.

But in the end, many people like those set pieces. They like seeing things impressively collapse about them and playing pretend that they're actually doing anything of substance during these moments. I've seen people actually say they don't play games to have a challenge or to have to think (this isn't hyperbole-for-effect). So, I recognize this is a lost cause. But I am a glutton for punishment, I have too much invested in the TR series. I have to see yet again if their talk about more complex tombs and puzzles is anything but lip service (bet a bottom dollar it's nonsense).

Sadly the gamer the new TR is going for is not the one that enjoyed classic TRs with their harsh but fair platforming and puzzles that actually required thought. The often linked post of the one user from the original OT back when the reboot came out that got stuck on the Wind 'puzzle' of all things and had his or her enjoyment completely ruined by a small roadblock in the endless progression of shooting dudes in the face is the gamer they are going for. Never stop moving forward and leaving bodies in your wake, that is the modern design construct for new TR.

jcm

Sadly the gamer the new TR is going for is not the one that enjoyed classic TRs with their harsh but fair platforming and puzzles that actually required thought. The often linked post of the one user from the original OT back when the reboot came out that got stuck on the Wind 'puzzle' of all things and had his or her enjoyment completely ruined by a small roadblock in the endless progression of shooting dudes in the face is the gamer they are going for. Never stop moving forward and leaving bodies in your wake, that is the modern design construct for new TR.

I liked the old ones and i liked the new one. I am large, I contain multitudes.

gtj1092

"PS4" mentioned 192 times in this thread so far (not including this post).

Was this really neccessary especially when you consider there are nearly 1200 posts. Doesn't actually seem that bad to me. Thread seemed to be mostly about the merits of the preview and the direction of TR2013.

Spazznid

No. I love set pieces and canned sequences. I don't think they should be everywhere, but they add to the experience for me.

I agree with you, but some people actually liked that wonky crap in the first game. For me it was one of the weakest aspects.

If you can't imitate well, then don't.

Top Bottom