• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

LUXURY

Soooooo exciting. Only thing is, they can stop altering her appearance now. Getting a little ridiculous. Pick a face and leave it.

Pilgrimzero

Waiting for the day that TR has Far Cry-style fire propogation.

My enemies will all burn to death.

Also, I hope no more father figures/males in love with Lara die to save her in this one.

By the time Alex bit it, it was starting to get really weird.

Wait another reboot or 2 and Tomb Raider will be a full on FPS.

Genio88

My top 3 anticipated games for 2015 are:
1)MGSV
2)Quantum Break
3)Tomb Raider
But after those screenshots and info Lara is climbing up quickly!

TripOpt55

I finally had a chance to read the article and it just bummed me out. I had a sliver of hope they might look to the series roots and listen to some of the old-school fans now that they had established this new beginning, but CD's priorities seem as out of whack as ever. Puzzles are talked about in a small aside and after reading a 10-page article you wouldn't even know this was ever a platforming series. It is a real shame as there is nothing like older TR or even much like CD's first trilogy out there. And they didn't have to go in this direction to appeal to a larger audience. They could have split the difference I feel and still brought in new fans while satisfying old ones. I will still be watching this game, but my hopes are lower than ever now. Hopefully they can change my mind in the future. I know I will still play it, but I'm definitely not too excited now.

TomShoe

Banned
And I used to think I was sad

It's an inevitability at this point, barring another business deal between Microsoft and Square. We're in the same situation as Titanfall right before the game went full exclusive. Spencer has confirmed it, and so has Crystal Dynamics.

Kezen

Banned
The screenshots look really bad (I've read the GI story), especially the one featuring the bear. Textures on characters are very low res I can't explain it for a game targetting a 2013 console.

Steph_E.

The screenshots look really bad (I've read the GI story), especially the one featuring the bear. Textures on characters are very low res I can't explain it for a game targetting a 2013 console.

I'l be targeting the game with my 360 - bought one last year primarily to play this and TR2013 (and so my Wii U doesn't feel lonely on its own) .

No, no and no. TR 2013 had bigger body count than every other TR combined and that was big issue. Point of the previous TR games was that human encounters were limited and that Lara was alone in wilderness so she needs to deal with non human enemies. I would rather have better puzzle elements and better tombs than deep weapon upgrade system. Tomb Raider doesn't need one Lara Croft is wealthy and she should use her money to equip herself with best possible gear from the start.

I remember killing a shit ton of enemies in Tomb Raider Legends.

Kezen

Banned
I'l be targeting the game with my 360 - bought one last year primarily to play this and TR2013 (and so my Wii U doesn't feel lonely on its own) .

That does not really explain why the game looks subpar as it is. They claim the existence of a 360 sku has no bearing on what the team is doing. Well looking at those (surely photoshopped) shots it does seem to have an impact.

The snow texture is really awful as well. It just does not look next-gen to me at all.

Uncharted even in its current state is a lot more impressive.

nib95

Banned
That does not really explain why the game looks subpar as it is. They claim the existence of a 360 sku has no bearing on what the team is doing. Well looking at those (surely photoshopped) shots it does seem to have an impact.

The snow texture is really awful as well. It just does not look next-gen to me at all.

Uncharted even in its current state is a lot more impressive.

That's not necessarily what they said. They said they are working on the next gen version without much consideration for the other studio that is working exclusively on the previous gen versions, but that doesn't mean they're not using the previous older engine to build their game, instead of an entirely new engine built from the ground up just for next gen. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to TR: DE on release. At the very least it should look better, which to be fair, would be good enough.

Kezen

Banned
That's not necessarily what they said. They said they are working on the next gen version without much consideration for the other studio that is working exclusively on the previous gen versions, but that doesn't mean they're not using the previous older engine to build their game, instead of an entirely new engine built from the ground up just for next gen. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it compares to TR: DE on release. At the very least it should look better, which to be fair, would be good enough.

The shots in the GI article make it clear enough that it's a step above the DE (materials, textures, geometry, post-process)...Which was a last-gen game at its core. I would expect much more from a game releasing two years after the console's initial launch.

I'm really disappointed even though the game will undoubtedly improve as we get closer to the release.

Regarding the coexistence of the two Xbox versions, I quote "We are wholly focused on Rise being an Xbox One title without limitations" 'Without even thinking about the 360 version".
No excuses then.

kharak

Neo Member
I hope this new Tomb Raider game does have actual Metroidvania elements, and actual puzzles worth a damn and de-emphasizes all the me-too combat and has actual platforming that you can't fall asleep during and has real, "complex" Tombs. I'm a genuine true blue Tomb Raider fan, so I have more investment than anyone in hoping it actually starts to take itself seriously and stops caring how shitty modern gamers are and just makes it a goddamn crucible.

And the comeback of Troels Brun Folmann! What a boring soundtrack has the reboot

GeraldC

Neo Member
MIni FAQ regarding the RIse of TR from Crystal Dynamics (if you still haven't read it)

Q: “What’s Camilla hinting at in this tweet?”
A: Camilla conducted an interview with Game Informer as part of their month of online coverage. Her feature goes live on the 27th!

Q: Why is Lara wearing some of her equipment Yamatai in the ROTTR screenshots, such as the holster and radio?
A: You’re likely referring to the screenshot of Lara in the desert tomb. Some of Lara’s equipment pictured there is placeholder.

Q: Where is Sam?

A: Sam is featured fairly prominently in the Tomb Raider comics, and as such her story is still unfolding. Meaning, we’re not going to answer that question just yet!

Q: What did you mean by you’re working on the Xbox One version of ROTTR “without even thinking of the Xbox 360 version”?
A: When Nixxes presented the team at Crystal with a demo proving the high standard they could achieve with Rise of the Tomb Raider on the Xbox 360, the decision to move forward was an easy one. The game is in capable hands, and we’re working with a longtime partner that knows our staff and technology. This means we can focus solely on developing the Xbox One version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, in order to push the hardware without worrying about how it will translate to Xbox 360.

Q: Are the images from Rise of the Tomb Raider published by Game Informer in-game screenshots?
A: Yes, all the assets we gave Game Informer were either concept art or screen shots. No CG images.

Q: When will we see gameplay from Rise of the Tomb Raider?
A: The Game Informer cover is our first big splash for Rise of the Tomb Raider, and more content will be shown throughout the month. As for gameplay, we’ll be sure to let you know when you can expect that.

-----------------------

What really excites me is the following part:
Q: Are the images from Rise of the Tomb Raider published by Game Informer in-game screenshots?
A: Yes, all the assets we gave Game Informer were either concept art or screen shots. No CG images.
B88fZPlIQAAm3oT.jpg
I thought it was a CGI render stuff, and now it's clear, an in-game-screenshot which is most likely from a cut-scene.

Amir0x

Banned
And the comeback of Troels Brun Folmann! What a boring soundtrack has the reboot

That's a good point. OG Tomb Raider had such a understated, atmospheric soundtrack but it truly is one of the most inventive and brilliantly evocative original sounds in videogames and the reboot was just... capable, that's about the best I can say about it. It's not like the composers lack talent, but they're just a walk in a line. They sound like a lot else out there.

-----------------------

What really excites me is the following part:

I thought it was a CGI render stuff, and now it's clear, an in-game-screenshot which is most likely from a cut-scene.

Mostly it should be from development kit and might not be from XB1 hardware yet. Have to find out what they look like from final build in XB1 because these days everything shown first are not what they will look like in final build (downgrade to get optimal performance). Lets wait and see.

jimboton

I finally had a chance to read the article and it just bummed me out. I had a sliver of hope they might look to the series roots and listen to some of the old-school fans now that they had established this new beginning, but CD's priorities seem as out of whack as ever. Puzzles are talked about in a small aside and after reading a 10-page article you wouldn't even know this was ever a platforming series. It is a real shame as there is nothing like older TR or even much like CD's first trilogy out there. And they didn't have to go in this direction to appeal to a larger audience. They could have split the difference I feel and still brought in new fans while satisfying old ones. I will still be watching this game, but my hopes are lower than ever now. Hopefully they can change my mind in the future. I know I will still play it, but I'm definitely not too excited now.

Why you or anyone else would hope this would be any different from TR 2013 I can't understand. This was never about 'establishing a new beginning' it was about establishing a new audience.

If we don't want a cinematic shooter with pointless crafting/collecting and bullshit xp levelling and we still buy this knowing full well that's exactly what we're getting then it's on us if they keep churning 'em and the old style Tomb Raider is completely forgotten.

This means we can focus solely on developing the Xbox One version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, in order to push the hardware without worrying about how it will translate to Xbox 360.
Yeaaa bullshit...

If they want the Xbox 360 to be neck and neck with the XBO version in terms of content and being the same game, your overall level design, environment size, and other gameplay systems, ambitions will be limited to what the 360 can do.

RoKKeR

Yeaaa bullshit...

If they want the Xbox 360 to be neck and neck with the XBO version in terms of content and being the same game, your overall level design, environment size, and other gameplay systems will be limited to what the 360 can do.
I look at Forza Horizon 2 and Shadow of Mordor as examples of how to do cross gen right.

If they follow a similar path then I couldn't care less about it coming out on 360.

The Lamp

IMO this game is looking less and less like classic Tomb Raider and more and more like Girl Uncharted. From the outfit, to the snowy scene, to the climbing tools lol. Reminds me of Nepal. We have really come full circle now!

The bear has potential to be a cool enemy though.

I really want to play this game. I will not buy a console to play it though, especially an XB1. Not this year anyway.

I'll play it on 360, and hopefully 6 mths later it comes to PS4... the better version.

abadguy

Banned
IMO this game is looking less and less like classic Tomb Raider and more and more like Girl Uncharted. From the outfit, to the snowy scene, to the climbing tools lol. Reminds me of Nepal. We have really come full circle now!

The bear has potential to be a cool enemy though.
Surely you realize there were snowy mountain levels in tge very fisr TR game right? I'm also fairly sure that Napal and climbing tools existed way before Uncharted was a thing.

Yeaaa bullshit...

If they want the Xbox 360 to be neck and neck with the XBO version in terms of content and being the same game, your overall level design, environment size, and other gameplay systems, ambitions will be limited to what the 360 can do.

Did they say content would be the same? I'm not sure why you're so dismissive about CD's comments when we've seen games in the past not held back by last gen ports (FH2/ME:SoM).

TripOpt55

Why you or anyone else would hope this would be any different from TR 2013 I can't understand. This was never about 'establishing a new beginning' it was about establishing a new audience.

If we don't want a cinematic shooter with pointless crafting/collecting and bullshit xp levelling and we still buy this knowing full well that's exactly what we're getting then it's on us if they keep churning 'em and the old style Tomb Raider is completely forgotten.

Eh. I had a sliver of hope after reading some cliffnotes of the article online that mentioned expanding the puzzles, but felt different when I read the article and saw what an afterthought it seemed to be. You don't need to get on my case for hoping a series I love might at least start leaning in the right direction. Again not sure what is wrong with hoping for something even if I didn't think it would happen. Are you saying you weren't at least hoping this would be different?

Hell I think they took steps in the right direction with Anni/Underworld after Legend went a little too far with being overly linear and too shooty, so it is not that absurd to think CD might at least correct some of its mistakes with Rise after 2013. That isn't even what I said though. I was just hoping.

And I never said I'd buy it, just that I'd play it. I'll rent it if it turns out to be the same as TR 2013. So yeah your response seems a little unnecessary or at least misguided.

jimboton

Eh. I had a sliver of hope after reading some cliffnotes of the article online that mentioned expanding the puzzles, but felt different when I read the article and saw what an afterthought it seemed to be. You don't need to get on my case for hoping a series I love might at least start leaning in the right direction. Again not sure what is wrong with hoping for something even if I didn't think it would happen. Are you saying you weren't at least hoping this would be different?
Sorry if that came across as 'getting on your case' a little ;). just wanted to express how extremely unlikely it always looked to me that CD would deviate much from their new "winning" formula.

More stuff from the article.

- At least two different locations across the globe.
- Jonah is back from the first game
- Environment itself as the main antagonist.
- Cloth and herb to heal wounds.
- More than one of each weapon type.
- Variety of bows with different attributes.
- Weather system that animals and human enemies react to.
- Not sure if they confirmed a day night cycle or not, they mentioned "animals reacting to" time of day.
- Hub areas are two to three times bigger than previous game.
- Lara can climb trees, hide in bushes, swim.
- Pushing for pre planning aspect to engaging in combat, though sneaking past everyone isnt the goal.
- Tools for distracting enemies and luring them where you want them.
- You can lose the enemies after engaging them.
- Game informer says combat reminds them of the Last of Us.
- CD talks about doing more with tombs and puzzles this time around.

Sounds like FarCry!

Game4life

Banned

- Not sure if they confirmed a day night cycle or not, they mentioned "animals reacting to" time of day.
- Pushing for pre planning aspect to engaging in combat, though sneaking past everyone isnt the goal.

The bolded is a good thing. Hopefully they manage to implement this well. Only worry I have is the horrible voice acting and story. Hope the trailer they show soon dispels that worry.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I love how 95% of their spiel is about combat with a tiny mention of tombs and puzzles at the end. I expect this will be another turd.

Top Bottom