• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Game of the Year" - How Stanley Parable's Davey Wreden struggled with the attention

Buzzman

Banned
Oh, yeah, we get it, real rough life you've got there. Sounds pretty miserable to be loved for your art. Maybe go cry about it into a pile of money?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This. It's hard as an artist to come to the realization that nobody really gives a shit about your art until it's mass market friendly.

I feel like...yes and no. I mean, some people gave a shit about The Stanley Parable when it was a simple mod. The mass market didn't give a shit about it until it was mass market friendly, but isn't that kind of the point?

Games journalism coverage is still overwhelmingly mass market driven. Even the indie games that get talked about are the "showcase" indie games. It is what it is.

I'd be interested to see the Venn diagram of how many of the "who cares/another whiner" posters are in successful relationships. It's called fucking empathy people. Even if you don't understand it, or would react differently, acknowledging that everyone sees/reacts differently to things is a basic trait for being a successful human being in the world. I don't get why people feel the need to be so callous. Just a function if Internet anonymity I guess

In this thread: indie dev realizes success doesn't solve your own insecurities, other people respond by telling dev success should solve their own insecurities. Good job, guys.

That´s a thin skin life vision right there. This guy should be happy about the good things he had achieve and leave this " the world doesn´t really understand me " 15 year old attitude for fuck´s sake.

I´m sorry but this is too much.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
ITT: How DARE he tell us how he really feels!? He needs to shut up and take fame like a man!

Interesting how he seems to be having different problems from the Flappy Bird guy. Dong Nguyen felt personally responsible for all the negative things his game caused and that was the root of his anxieties, while this guy seems to lack self-confidence in the things he created (kinda like the TotalBiscuit meltdown we had some time ago) and craves positive feedback because of it.

I can sympathise with him. Attention and praise don't suddenly make you a super happy person, it does for a little bit but after a while you realise that nothing really changes. You still feel down about certain things and you still question your own self worth or if any of the things you're doing really are all that great or people are just being nice. It's in these moments that any sort of negative comment or hateful post about you really hit hardest and stay with you

This is something I think the Flappy Bird dev was feeling too in a way just on a far bigger scale

gngf123

I wonder how many developers will need to come out and say that life isn't the happy experience you think it is before people will stop calling them whiny/ungrateful pretentious morons who should be happy they have money and success.

There are a lot of developers who suffer from major insecurities. Seemingly, especially so with indie developers. Money isn't a magical fix all and can actually sometimes make it worse.

Annoyingly, I actually think the very nature of game development breeds these insecurities. Nothing like taking on an extremely isolating task for years. One where it is often extremely hard to see how much progress you are making, and for indie developers often with extremely tight budgets to live off of and without any guarantee that it will be worth it in the end.

V_Arnold

That´s a thin skin life vision right there. This guy should be happy about the good things he had achieve and leave this " the world doesn´t really understand me " 15 year old attitude for fuck´s sake.

I´m sorry but this is too much.

....I do not know how to respond to this without pointing your finger back at your own face. So....good job at lashing out, I guess?

ITT: People have an opinion about a person attitude and does´t really have to be aligned with yours.

Nope, you do not get to play that card when you used "for fuck's sake" and "15 year old attitude" in the same sentence. Talking about our own flaws and faults is not childish behavior, trying to hide them is.

Majmun

He should go in therapy for self esteem improvement. He has the money for it.

Or he should just stop making games. This behavior isn't healthy at all.

Roubjon

I hope he figures out a way to deal with it all in the end.

And holy shit some of you guys are heartless. Let the dude express himself however he wants to.

Nope, you do not get to play that card when you used "for fuck's sake" and "15 year old attitude" in the same sentence. Talking about our own flaws and faults is not childish behavior, trying to hide them is.

I get to play that card when he made it public on the internet. And talking about your own faults and toughts on such a personal issue by throwing it out in the wild is pretty much useless, and childish.

this guy is saying that he's emotionally suffering and your response is "well you're successful and have money"? great, that doesn't mean a thing

Try working 20 years in a dead end government job with NO recognition, see if the lack of acknowledgement treats you better.

The second quote above is, I think, the reason why I have trouble working up any extra sympathy for this developer. So he feels like he doesn't deserve recognition and adulation? Well, guess who else doesn't feel like they deserve recognition and adulation: almost everyone. The difference between this guy and everyone else isn't that he feels unworthy and everyone else feels fine; we all feel unworthy a lot of the time. The difference is that he actually gets validation and praise, while many other people get jack shit.

Basically, who's worse off:

A. Someone who gets tons of praise, adulation, and money, complains to a large internet audience that he still feels insecure, and has a ton of people actually listen to him and sympathize with him.

B. Someone who works in a dead-end job, gets no recognition at all, feel insecure, and has no one to complain to or ask for sympathy.

I guess you all are right; it's always better to try to empathize with others and give them the benefit of the doubt. And I wasn't trying to say that Davey Wreden is a bad person or the second coming of Phil Fish. But if I have a finite amount of emotional energy, my extra sympathy is going to go to person B above, not person A.

gngf123

I get to play that card when he made it public on the internet. And talking about your your own faults and toughts on such a personal issue by throwing it out in the wild is pretty much useless, and childish.

No, we need more developers to talk up about their problems. Developer insecurities are widespread and the more awareness we have of it the better.

Roubjon

And talking about your own faults and toughts on such a personal issue by throwing it out in the wild is pretty much useless, and childish.

Except you have no idea how useless it is for the the guy? We aren't all the same dude, the way we experience and process our lives is different for everyone.

Einbroch

Banned
Is this common in other forms of media? I don't hear much about indie musicians/directors/producers/writers, but then again, I don't follow those industries.

Davidion

I get to play that card when he made it public on the internet. And talking about your own faults and toughts on such a personal issue by throwing it out in the wild is pretty much useless, and childish.

A stupid and imbecilic opinion to have, uninformed by the real world and pretty much fits the profile of your average 15 year old youtube commenter who's never left his mom's basement.

Concept17

I'm inclined to agree.

Success is not something most people come by, especially at the level he has. If he can't get passed his insecurities, he could use a little growing up. I'm willing to bet nearly any other developer, including many vets in the industry, would have loved to reached his level of success. Tons of people purchased his work and enjoyed themselves. A little bit of their life was spent doing something they enjoyed, because he made it. Be glad you can give people that, because few people can.

Except you have no idea how useless it is for the the guy? We aren't all the same dude, the way we experience and process our lives is different for everyone.

That much is true, but How do you think this is serving him any good purpose?

How do you expect this is going to help him?

gngf123

Perhaps it helps him get something off his chest? Merely having a release of some kind can be a massive help, and that goes double if you then get other people who come forward with the same issues. Double again considering how isolating this industry can be.

Or maybe he wants to tell people what it is really like? Maybe you can tell from this thread, but people have some very crazy ideas regarding success and what effect it has on people.

By this point we know that it isn't just one or two developers.

Roubjon

He gets to tell people how he is really feeling and is willing to take the risk of creating a shitstorm based on people's reactions. Instead of just hiding away he can actually tell people what's up and free himself from this secret burden he has. It feels good to be honest with yourself, and it takes guts to do so when you know there are ravaging dogs on the other side of the fence. Maybe he needed to prove to himself that he has the ability to come out strong.

A stupid and imbecilic opinion to have, uninformed by the real world and pretty much fits the profile of your average 15 year old youtube commenter who's never left his mom's basement.

You seem pretty mature by calling me names, uh?

Perhaps you can throw some light into the subject instead of personal insults, so you can show your knowledge about real life to a poor ignorant pubescent.

NichM

Banned
I guess you all are right; it's always better to try to empathize with others and give them the benefit of the doubt. And I wasn't trying to say that Davey Wreden is a bad person or the second coming of Phil Fish. But if I have a finite amount of emotional energy, my extra sympathy is going to go to person B above, not person A.

Why does one have a finite amount of sympathy or empathy? In practical terms, what about Wreden's situation requires "extra" sympathy over and above the government file clerk? Is he demanding money or volunteer work or people to email him and say nice things? Is it not possible to see both and think "Shit, that sucks, hope things work out for the guy" about each? In what way does one preclude the other?

He should probably cease making games or cease releasing them to the public if he can't handle what happens when you do those two things. This whole woe is me thing that permeates a lot of the indie scene is a major turn off for me.

I hope dude gets the help he needs. Alcoholics and crack heads make alot of the points and arguments he's making about using their vice of choice to fill some hole in their life.

Davidion

Is this common in other forms of media? I don't hear much about indie musicians/directors/producers/writers, but then again, I don't follow those industries.

It is fairly common in any other industry; issues such as self-doubt, imposter syndrome, becoming addicted to validation, are all relatively prevalent, though it's often considered a social taboo by people who are too ignorant to know any better, as evidenced by this thread.

You seem pretty mature by calling me names, uh?

Perhaps you can throw some light into the subject instead of personal insults, so you can show your knowledge about real life to a poor ignorant pubescent.

Why would I need to inform you of anything? You got what you deserved by posting your idiotic opinions and thoughts on the internet just like this Dave guy.

Why does one have a finite amount of sympathy or empathy? In practical terms, what about Wreden's situation requires "extra" sympathy over and above the government file clerk? Is he demanding money or volunteer work or people to email him and say nice things? Is it not possible to see both and think "Shit, that sucks, hope things work out for the guy" about each? In what way does one preclude the other?

Maybe the sympathy one may feel for Person A might be tempered by the success they have. The sympathy's shrunk down to little globules. Sympascraps. Meanwhile, Person B is in such a shitty situation that they get bumped up to top priority for emotional expression. Maybe Person B might even get some pity mixed into their sympathy, for all the good it will do them.

Alienous

It is fairly common in any other industry; issues such as self-doubt, imposter syndrome, becoming addicted to validation, are all relatively prevalent, though it's often considered a social taboo by people who are too ignorant to know any better, as evidenced by this thread.

I don't see how people could be expected to be empathetic. Imposter syndrome is irrational, that's why it is a phenomenon. From the outside, looking in, the logical conclusion is "Uh ... why can't you just be happy with your success?". It is left up to the 'imposter' to decide when to accept their accomplishments.

That's why these thoughts are personal. That's why writing therapy, such as this, is often unpublished or anonymous.

He shouldn't be shamed by any means, but people should feel free to react honestly to his situation.

Wiktor

I'm always surprised when a creator of something incredibly funny turns out to be pretty solemn person in real-life. I guess I foolishly expect people who make me laugh to laugh often themselves.

Alienous

I'm always surprised when a creator of something incredibly funny turns out to be pretty solemn person in real-life. I guess I foolishly expect people who make me laugh to laugh often themselves.

Comedians are often depressed people. The outlook needed to laugh yourself out of a depression probably translates well into making other people laugh.

NotLiquid

You know what they say, the funniest people are often the most depressed.

Or something along those lines.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
he's insecure about his ability to produce good work, just because you have a bunch of people telling you it's great that doesn't just disappear. external validation isn't a substitute for real self-confidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

So basically, he has the same thing most artists have. Whoopie-do?

It sucks that he feels like he has to look at the GotY lists and seek the validation, but there's a simple solution for that: Just block all e-mails and game-journalism domains so you don't ever see a "Game of the Year" list and don't feel the need to validate yourself to journalists and other people.

It seems like more than anything all the attention the journalists are giving him and his title is what is bothering him more than anything. At least how I read that comic.

he's saying that seeing goty lists without papers please makes him think the whole process is bullshit

Why? How does not having Papers Please on a GotY list from a journalists own picks somehow make the entire process bullshit? If he feels that way; By all means, make your own GotY list, Stanly Parable dude! Include Papers, Please! on it and explain why you feel it's GotY then.

Odrion

Banned
Sounds like a bummer, but if you just push on and keep producing work this can solve itself.

Also that Papers Please bit seemed more like a little joke and a compliment to a fellow indie game producer.

Top Bottom