• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog (French, PS4 Pro reveal date leak) feeds the NX rumor mill

EDIT: I have a screencap but Zhuge deleted that tweet because he didn't want unauthorized copies of paid reports on his account.

tl;dr some financial summary (Macquarie - apparently a WSJ-esque analyst paper in Japan) reviewed Nintendo and changed their ranking to "neutral" from "outperform" (regarding to what extent they're expected to please investors?), mentions they're worried about the NX price when it's finally revealed

The summary says NX is "due next week" but bear in mind this is ambiguous as hell, I don't know what the original source is, and for all we know it could be a bit of dry humour (since every week is the week NX is supposed to be revealed)

Essentially it's all just analysis and speculation. Here's another report from them.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...land_this_year_console_partner_device_in_2017

Ishida

Banned
Nintendo are miracle makers.

Galaxy was one of the best looking games if not best from last gen.

I wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo could make shit look beautiful.

I have absolutely no doubt about that.

But the post I quoted is just nuts. Zelda BotW looks nowhere near as good as FFXV on a technical level.

KingBroly

Banned
I simply cannot see NX costing $300-$350 when they made such a big deal about it being one of the major failing points of Wii U.

Oregano

1) Some analysts said "Next Week" for NX reveal last month.

2) Zhuge is a banned GAF member and I think it;s frowned upon to relay his tweets.

it took 160 days for fallout 4 to release after being announced.
there are 139 days left until march 2017, the NX launch month.

they sure are cutting this announcement close, huh?

Nintendo did not point to the price as the reason of failure and it honestly wasn't.

Market positioning and branding were it's issues.

Didn't Miyamoto do an interview where he mentioned regrets about the Wii U's pricing, recently?

Rösti;220104884 said:

There we go, thanks. Yeah, this is just analysis. Nothing official regarding when anything will happen.

OCD Guy

I simply cannot see NX costing $300-$350 when they made such a big deal about it being one of the major failing points of Wii U.

Yeah price is going to be an issue if they get it wrong.

While Pachter is often ridiculed I think he made a good point when he said:

"If the NX is a handheld with a docking station, it could have trouble getting noticed. I think that NX will sell well if it gets third party support, and for that to happen, it has to be something that publishers think will sell well. It’s still impossible to have a forecast when we don’t know what it is or what it will cost. If it’s a console and costs $199, it will sell extremely well; if it’s a handheld and costs $399, it’s dead in the water. The odds are that it’s something in between, but I don’t want to guess until I see what it is.”

Nintendo did not point to the price as the reason of failure and it honestly wasn't.

Market positioning and branding were it's issues.

While the way it was marketed was very detrimental, as many people hadn't heard of it, and those that did weren't even aware what it was, the inclusion of the gamepad and effect that had on price was very damaging.

Even today the price of the Wii U has not dropped in terms of official RRP. Nintendo themselves made comments that they recognized the negative effect the cost of the gamepad had.

it took 160 days for fallout 4 to release after being announced.
there are 139 days left until march 2017, the NX launch month.

they sure are cutting this announcement close, huh?

Between NES Mini reveal and launch, there'll be 5 months. Between NX supposed reveal and supposed launch... There'll be 5 months... Maybe even less. Pretty much tells everything about it.

javadoze

$200-$300 is about the range I expect the NX to be in. Not to say that they can't go for $300, but at that point they'd have to drive a good value proposition to make it work.

Rösti;220104884 said:

Regardless of whether this is true or not, the investor's briefing seems like a sure bet for NX news. After all, it's still on track to release within the fiscal year.

OCD Guy

"Games look good on the handheld screen (780 - 900p), about PS4 level".

Lol pipedream.

The way that's worded screams bullshit a mile off.

It's not even a comment on the actual screen resolution (which would make more sense), and it's not possible to make a general comment on the resolutions as it will vary depending on the game.

According to that rumor if games are 780-900p the screen must surely be 1080p then no? Yet most rumors pitch it at 720p, and if it is a 720p screen why would games be running at 900p lol. Also if it's a 1080p screen and games are already being touted as 780-900p that's not a good sign.

To be honest I'd be happy with a 720p display as chances are more games will run at better framerates especially if power is inbetween Wii U and Xbox One.

There's no way the console will be PS4 power but I'd love that in a handheld. If I'm honest though those "rumours" come across as though he just wrote random thoughts that came into his head, it's on par with "My uncle works at Nintendo".

Well yeah 700 gflops could give something convincing on a small 720 screen maybe. Something that would look like a XBO game from distance! But that would be enough for really nice things

Doesn't FFXV run already at 720p resolution on Xbox One? So NX having same resolution screen but decent amount less power would make FFXV port pretty much impossible.

EVH

Someone should ask Emily Rogers about the ZugheEX report tweets and see what she has to say about it.

When is the investors meeting, btw?

Ps: of course NX is not going to be able to run FFXV. Forget about it. I would expect a Dragon Quest Builders port though.

OCD Guy

Ps: of course NX is not going to be able to run FFXV. Forget about it.

Just imagine for a second that Nintendo surprises us all and releases a handheld that is capable of current gen graphics in our pocket.

PSP and Vita were always touted as home consoles on the go but they were always clearly stuck in-between gens in terms of performance.

Then again if I'm honest I'd be happy playing a Mario Kart 8 on a decent display with higher resolution textures. I liked being able to use the gamepad around the house, but man that display killed the enjoyment at times, backlight bleed, fuzzy reds, shitty viewing angles etc

The display is actually my biggest worry, Nintendo displays have generally been garbage in all of their handhelds, I don't care if the NX is Wii U in power, just please give it a fucking decent screen.

It's unlikely but if they throw an oled in there I'll have a heart attack....

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope that analyst is wrong about the price. Going with the reveal so close and announcing a rather expensive NX might end badly for Nintendo.

$200-$300 is about the range I expect the NX to be in. Not to say that they can't go for $300, but at that point they'd have to drive a good value proposition to make it work.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, the investor's briefing seems like a sure bet for NX news. After all, it's still on track to release within the fiscal year.

Unless it's delayed, I honestly think it's just too late in the FY for them to play the "still coming next March, nothing to announce at this time, we'll talk about it later in 2016" game again. If it's not revealed before the 26th, I expect either a reveal date or a delay, at the very least.

Oregano

I hope that analyst is wrong about the price. Going with the reveal so close and announcing a rather expensive NX might end badly for Nintendo.

Maybe they've waited so long because they want the shorter hype cycle to distract from a high price. It would be a disaster but oh well...

OCD Guy

Does the price not depend on what it is that we're paying for?

Or are we at the stage where people think that regardless of the device Nintendo can't price it over a certain threshold?

are they credible?

You can look at it in two ways, they're not credible so he removed it so he doesn't get questioned on it, or it's true and he doesn't want to cause any "issues" for anyone.

He was a member on Neogaf though wasn't he? Not sure what he was banned for.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Maybe they've waited so long because they want the shorter hype cycle to distract from a high price. It would be a disaster but oh well...

Won't you rather want to announce the bad news earliest possible and then cover it with hype rather than let it steal the show?

Or are we at the stage where people think that regardless of the device Nintendo can't price it over a certain threshold?

This is not about somebody like me who would probably buy it anyhow, this is about mass market success. After you positioned yourself at the lower segment of the market for more than 10 years, it's difficult to go premium again. Just look at Google with the Pixel. The strongest reactions were about the price.

are they credible?

It was a investors briefing from some stock trading company.

It said some financial things, expressed worries about Nintendo, and the NX system, and then they said ( coming next week)

Not maybe or probably, just bluntly said "next week"

Probably based on the date of the investors meeting.

You can look at it in two ways, they're not credible so he removed it so he doesn't get questioned on it, or it's true and he doesn't want to cause any "issues" for anyone.

He was a member on Neogaf though wasn't he? Not sure what he was banned for.

He removed it because it quoted a private and paid report. kind of like of npd numbers

Fake... Whats the point of detachable controllers if the hybrid part is just a Dongle... don't make any sense.

Not that I believe all this info but there's already rumoured points for that, Built in 2 player and wii-esque control either at home or on the go. Main thing is to get a picture to the tv and eurogamer described it as a reverse version of the wii u which implies wireless.

OCD Guy

This is not about somebody like me who would probably buy it anyhow, this is about mass market success. After you positioned yourself at the lower segment of the market for more than 10 years, it's difficult to go premium again. Just look at Google with the Pixel. The strongest reactions were about the price.

I know what you're saying but if and it's a very big if they have a hit on their hands like the Wii was then price might not be too much of a factor.

I remember the Wii and Wii Fit board bundles were flying off the shelves as well as a shit load of accessories and it didn't work out cheap, and Nintendo were coming from a gamecube and that was anything but popular and premium

I guess what I'm getting at is while price will definitely have a big effect, the flipside is if the console offers no incentive for buyers to buy it then it won't sell even if it's cheap, and if it has something really desirable then people will pay the money for it.

Take the Wii U for example that could have been half the price it was, and while it would have sold more, other factors would have still caused it to be a flop.

Top Bottom