• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games, apps, Blu-Ray playback randomly disappearing on Xbone thanks to Live problems

Hmm, I haven't experienced any issues like this in the last few days.

For those that are having issues, are you perhaps on the Dashboard beta? I am, and I'm not seeing any of this.

GHG

Hmm, I haven't experienced any issues like this in the last few days.

For those that are having issues, are you perhaps on the Dashboard beta? I am, and I'm not seeing any of this.

Not on the beta and it's the second time it's happened to me when xbox live has been down.

All in one entertainment system my arse.

Noobcraft

Do you need to be connected to the internet in order to watch Blu-Ray movies normally on Xbone?

Is this an actual thing?
Maybe it is? I just tried to do this offline. (Seriously impressive if this went a year without people noticing)
Glossy screens are wonderful by the way...
imag1190_1oefyx.jpg

*After putting it online again, then back offline I was able to watch the movie offline. It seems like it just has to check in once in a while.

liquidtmd

Banned
Because the console may as well be always online.

Pisses me off no end.

Indeed. With the importance of f/w and increasingly bothersome day 1 fixes for things that shouldnt be broke, both Sony and Ms have their probably desired 'always on' future and I was OK with that. But the option to disconnect should always be there...

That this can happen with things that should be consistant locally performance wise is really concerning. I hope they clarify.

Still wouldn't explain an internet check on the bluray app to cause it to disappear. Except for crazy DRM

You're right, it doesn't. I was simply suggesting why there would be an internet connection to the Blu-ray player functionality in any capacity. What's going on with people's games and apps right now... I have no idea. It's downright bizarre.

h3ro

I had this issue a few days ago, popped in a Blu-ray and got a disc read error. Deleted the BR app and it was no where to be found in the store or download history. Took a couple hours but was finally able to redownload the app and the drive functioned again.

Scary that MS server issues can render our device's physical drives useless.

That's just stupid.

I agree. Forza Horizon 2 did the same for me. They released a patch and I was having internet issues. Tried to play it but it kept telling me it couldn't connect to live. so I took the console offline and it still kept saying I had to connect to play. Had to wait till the next day to play lol.

Imagine if I couldn"t even use my fuckin $500 piece of hardware because of internet issues.

...Just noticed the MODS changed the title of my thread!! Now it sounds like I'm upset about the whole matter when I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same issues

Over my lunch break I tried to watch a DVD that I'd been watching on the Xbox One just fine the day before. The Blu-ray app kept telling me there was nothing in the drive. Put in Sunset Overdrive and it recognized the game just fine. Anyone else getting that error message?

Maybe it is? I just tried to do this offline. (Seriously impressive if this went a year without people noticing)
Glossy screens are wonderful by the way...
imag1190r9ctx.jpg

the hell? i would LOSE MY SHIT if my bluray watching was dependent on my (shitty) internet.

why is this ok again?

gar3

It might have to do with BD Live being enabled on the console, too.
I have BD Live functionality disabled from the Settings menu and have been able to watch DVDs and Blu-rays while offline without issue.

This seems like such a odd problem.

Live problems making use of non-live required apps impossible and even making them "disappear" until the problem resolves? Why on earth would it be designed like that???

Justified

the hell? i would LOSE MY SHIT if my bluray watching was dependent on my (shitty) internet.

why is this ok again?

Why would you live somewhere with shitty internet? This is the future, apps/games need to check in to ensure prime operability and maximum efficiency.

oh and /s

Elandyll

Banned
Yes and No. I just got it to work while in offline mode so something weird happened to the actual app recently. It does work offline but the app probably has to check in once in a while

Soooo ... Is the "Once in a while" check no completely removed? I thougth they completely did away with that form of DRM?
We're not talking about new consoles here right? As in said consoles already had the app, but failing to connect to Live the BR App became unavailable?

rjcc

You cant play a Blu-Ray if there are problems with Live???

What. In. The. Actual. Fuck

no. that's not true. you may have to download the app if you haven't already downloaded it or don't have it. that's the problem being described, they need to install the feature and can't.

It stuns me how much of the Xbox One's basic functionality is still so strongly tied to being online. My internet wasn't working the other day and, poof, just like that, all my pins were gone. Good luck finding all your stuff!

Uh, your stuff is still a button press away in the games and apps tab. That's like saying "the Internet wasn't working the other day and poof, all my emails were gone".

Pins worked the exact same way on the 360.

I don't have apps or games disappearing but there's a lot of times when I try to play a Blu-Ray I just have some "insert disc" like errors. 400€ and I can't play a damn Blu-Ray? Wtf?!?

LowerLevel

Damn, sorry for those affected. I, too, am wondering what could be the issue. I just spent 2+ hours on DA:I with no interruption or gameplay issues, but there was considerable "lag" with notifications like my recently purchased Valiant Hearts game and 'Cheivo pop up.

C'mon MS, you've been better than this...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Had issues with Xbox Video. Did a hard reboot, reset network settings then reinstalled the app to get it working.

I can watch a video now but its running at terrible quality.

It's likely a matter of paying for the licensing fees. This way, MS just has to pay for the people who actually use it as opposed to paying for every console.
You're probably right about the licensing fees, but their solution seems quite poor. With the PS4, I needed to be online for a one-time activation to enable movie playback, but no connection is required beyond that initial authorization.

Plus, the issue seems to extend beyond the Blu-ray player itself anyway.

You don't require a connection on the XB1 either.

The problem happens when you choose to be connected and there's trouble syncing with the cloud or accessing the Live service for updates or whatnot.

From the outside looking in, it seems like an easy fix: Put the app into offline mode automatically, and then sync and update later.

Uh, your stuff is still a button press away in the games and apps tab. That's like saying "the Internet wasn't working the other day and poof, all my emails were gone".

Pins worked the exact same way on the 360.

The pins are there to allow you to organize your content in a logical way rather than looking any everything all at once. The whole point of the pins seems to be a band aid on poor organization of the dashboard in the first place.

That these can disappear on you because you're not connected to the internet or because XBL is on the fritz is a needless hassle. They should be stored locally, and if need be, checked against your profile to see if they've been changed since the last time you logged in. They shouldn't just disappear when you're having connection issues.

Does Microsoft have a pool of Blu Ray codec licenses that they just dish out to whoever is watching a movie right now? That's pretty stupid.

You don't need to. Just make sure you downloaded the app before going offline.

No. Ive had my mediaplayer for months now.

It was playing up so I turned off the Xbox then restarted it and put it in offline mode.

It told me I could not use the player offline.

I dont agree with this at all.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Seems this is a serious pitfall of the nature of their "app based" OS rather than baking stuff in like the 360 had it.

I really don't get why they didn't just transplant the 360 OS and add multitasking/suspend/resume.

Top Bottom