• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that sold past a certain amount in November in Germany

The BUI (Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware) gave out it's awards for the best selling games of November 2014. The numbers come from the GFK

The winners are:

BIU Sales Award special prize for more than 500.000 sold copies
FIFA 15 (Electronic Arts / EA Canada) PS4

BIU Sales Award Platinum for more than 200.000 sold copies
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision / Sledgehammer Games) PS4
Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games / Rocksar North) PS4
Tomodachi Life (Nintendo) 3DS

BIU Sales Award Gold for more than 100.000 sold copies
Assassin’s Creed Unity (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal) PS4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision / Sledgehammer Games) PS3
Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal) PS4
FIFA 15 (Electronic Arts / EA Canada) Xbox 360
Farming-Simulator 2015 (Astragon / Giants Software) PC
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Warner Bros. Interactive / Monolith Productions) PS4
Need for Speed: Rivals (Electronic Arts / Ghost Games) PS4 (including digital sales)
Super Smash Bros (Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.) 3DS

http://www.biu-online.de/de/presse/...piele-im-november-rekord-november-zwoelf.html

Looking good for PS4. No Xbox One game and only one 360 version
Also we Germans like Tomodachi Life and our simulators

Sorry these are the numbers for November only. Sorry I made that mistakes. Can a mod please fix the title

Kater

Banned
I knew that Tomodachi Life would be in the Top lists in Germany. They love their simulators. And football (FIFA).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Shouldn't this be just the games that got those awards in November?

Phamit

Shouldn't this be just the games that got those awards in November?

you are correct

Last Month Fifa 15 got the award for over a million sales on all systems, so Fifa 15 on Ps4 is about 40-50 % of all Fifa 15 sales in germany

Has anyone ever written an article for why Germans love them some simulators? It's pretty fascinating because they go against the usual gameplay loops of most videogames. Is it because people in that field in reality (farmers, truck drivers, bus drivers) are enough of a market to make bank on these videogames? Is it the cheaper price?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Was Wolfenstein: The New Order banned in Germany?

No, it was heavily censored and even locked to the IP so you could only get an uncensored one via VPN. I actually personally know one of the QA guys that was responsible for ensuring none of the textures contain any swastikas in the German version.

Never understood censorship as a reaction to portrayals of fascism.

Dinda

No, it was heavily censored and even locked to the IP so you couldn't get an uncensored one via VPN. I actually personally know one of the QA guys that was responsible for ensuring none of the textures contain any swastikas in the German version.

Heavily censored? Wasn't it uncut outiside of Nazi Symbols? I wouldn't call that heavily censored.

oti

Banned
Has anyone ever written an article for why Germans love them some simulators? It's pretty fascinating because they go against the usual gameplay loops of most videogames. Is it because people in that field in reality (farmers, truck drivers, bus drivers) are enough of a market to make bank on these videogames? Is it the cheaper price?

You have no idea. I personally know guys in their 40s playing this game and they don't even know why they play it. They just do.

I have no idea. Maybe because they are mostly made in Germany and thus are in the shelves and people who see them just buy them. I think most people buying them are people who are usually not into games.
Or maybe it is because we like to wörk wörk wörk.

oti

Banned
Eh, to me political censorship is worse than censorship of violence.

That's the twisted "joke" about this. EVERYONE knows what they changed in Wolfenstein. EVERYONE knows the symbols, EVERYONE knows what happened in the past and that Germany was the aggressor. We here find that kind of censorship just as weird and unnecessary as you.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

If you speak the language or want to have a go with Google translate: http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-67036845.html

That's the twisted "joke" about this. EVERYONE knows what they changed in Wolfenstein. EVERYONE knows the symbols, EVERYONE knows what happened in the past and that Germany was the aggressor. We here find that kind of censorship just as weird and unnecessary as you.

Dude, I'm German too. I'm aware censorship is not appreciated by gamers here, regardless of how obvious the uncut/original content is.

The German ad campaign for Tomodachi Life was incredibly bad (super corny family skits, often ending with merely promoting the fact that you can now change your Mii hair color to green), so this is uh... something.

Dinda

Eh, to me political censorship is worse than censorship of violence.

Well i don't disagree, but there really is nothing they can make about that, if a game has those symbols it is not allowed to be sold in Germany, that's law and nothing to be surprised about.
Now of course they should change the law, so that video games would finally be recognized as art, where it is allowed, but that's another story.

And to be honest i don't think it takes anything away that you don't see the symbols, everyone knows what those placeholders stand for and the game does not really change without them (i don't know about those references someone mentioned though, since i didn't play the game).

I seem to remember it getting a censored release, but not banned.

No, it was heavily censored and even locked to the IP so you could only get an uncensored one via VPN. I actually personally know one of the QA guys that was responsible for ensuring none of the textures contain any swastikas in the German version.

They removed the Swastika and I believe they don't refer to the third Reich, but you can buy it in every store
Thanks for the help, people.

So the French love Nintendo, and the Germans love Playstation?

I sure hope nobody starts a war over this.

France loves the playstation as well.

Sorry, no numbers this time but here are the best selling games of 2014 at the beginning of december in France.

1. FIFA 15
2. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
3. Watch Dogs
4. Grand Theft Auto V
5. FIFA 14
6. Call of Duty Ghosts
7. Tomodachi Life
8. Minecraft
9. Destiny
10. Super Smash Bros.

You will get some numbers from Nintendo tomorrow.

Raist

Banned
Fifa 15 PS3 not listed?

It passed 200k units sold on PS3 in September (so did the PS4 version).
1M all platforms in October.
500k on PS4 in November.

So it's very likely the PS4 version is indeed the best selling game in Germany this year.

edit: looking back at all the awards since November 2013, it doesn't look like any XB1 title made it past the 100,000 mark.

That means every second PS4 owner in Germany bought a new physical copy of FIFA.

Can only imagine the attach rate if you included digital and used sales of the game

Edit: actually I just remembered that publishers can give digital numbers to BUI to count towards these awards so maybe it includes digital?

So many things wrong as evidenced by this list...

Farming simulator
annual FIFA
Assassin's Creed Unity
Tomodachi Life > Smash

germans...
we have bad taste

Top Bottom