• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot GOTY 2015: The Witcher 3

MadYarpen

I wish people would always add whether they've played Bloodborne when they make statements like these. Seriously, I'm always curious.

I finished both Bloodborne and the Witcher, and while I think Bloodborne is a superb title which gave me a lot of emotions (fuck you Father G.), The Witcher is easily my GOTY, probably more than that. in Bloodborne there was not a single moment as memorable as finding
Ciri
and many other situations in the Witcher.

tuxfool

Banned
Did I say anyone has to say it? Calm down. I'm just interested whether there's people who have finished both but liked TW3 that much more to make such statements. Obviously opinions differ and that's totally fine. Not everyone has to like or is going to like Bloodborne. It's just a personal interest.

I suggest you parse the GAF GOTY thread and you'll see.

Deviousx

I'm happy Ori and the Blind Forest got into the top 10. Well deserved! Hopefully we'll hear more from Moon Studios in the future.

Congrats to The Witcher 3 and the CDPR team for their hard work! :)

What's up with the Bloodborne hate in all of these GOTY threads? Have Bloodborne fans been that obnoxious?

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether it, or Witcher 3 end up being my top game this year. If you'd asked me a month ago I would have said Bloodborne no doubt, but after months of putting it off I finished up Witcher 3 last week and now It's near impossible to decide. Will have to play the DLC of both to make my final decision I guess.

DukeBobby

What's up with the Bloodborne hate in all of these GOTY threads? Have Bloodborne fans been that obnoxious?

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether it, or Witcher 3 end up being my top game this year. If you'd asked me a month ago I would have said Bloodborne no doubt, but after months of putting it off I finished up Witcher 3 last week and now It's near impossible to decide. Will have to play the DLC of both to make my final decision I guess.

Playing the DLC will make the decision even harder.

Both are equally good.

duxstar

The Witcher 3 is a bad game , with a decent story.

The fact that it wins goty will just prove again that gameplay is unimportant and all you have to do is give people pretty graphics , a half decent story and a chance to have sex in a virtual world and they will call it GOTY.

tuxfool

Banned

The fact that it wins goty will just prove again that gameplay is unimportant and all you have to do is give people pretty graphics , a half decent story and a chance to have sex in a virtual world and they will call it GOTY.

Not this nonsense again. Are you tag fishing or something?

It's actually probably closer in terms of big sites. If we're using pure numbers, then it's a landslide, which I don't think many expected at least not until recently. CDPR did a wonderful job of introducing new players to the series.

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1

Top 5:

1. The Witcher 3 - 62
2. Fallout 4 - 14
3. Metal Gear Solid V - 11
4. Bloodborne- 9
5. Life is Strange- 3

What the.. Fallout 4 at #2?
That's harsh for MGS V & Bloodborne.

tuxfool

Banned
Tag fishing ? I could write an essay on what makes it a bad game if you'd like but in the end it won't matter to anyone and won't change your mind

It isn't there to change minds, but rather to hopefully sand down the square pegs you've attempted to put into round holes.

Yessss.....GoooOoOoOd....
giphy.gif

Kuni

Interesting. With this recent one I am actually starting to think Fallout may not sweep the deck as were. I would handily place Bloodborne and Witcher above it so this pleases me. Also happy to see Rocket League so high.

KdylanR92

Awesome The Witcher 3 was the best game i've played in years.

I can't really comment on Bloodborne's position since I haven't played since I beat it like a week after it came out.

Should really get on playing Rocket League.

I wish people would always add whether they've played Bloodborne when they make statements like these. Seriously, I'm always curious.

Of course. I was the one that came up with the idea of PSN name sharing thread in the Bloodborne OT so that we could coop together. Bloodborne is terrific, but not as memorable for me to be quite honest. And on that note, I'm getting a little Souls-burnout syndrome.

Jumeira

Banned
Gamespot and VGA got it right. Well done CDP, there isnt any other game better than this. As others have stated, this is a gaming masterpiece. Looking forward to see it win all major GOTY.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Glad to see Evolve on the list, had some great matches in it, even with randoms. I wonder how many people perplexed by its inclusion sunk actual time into it.

DarkFlame

Banned
Witcher 3 deserves every game of the year award.

It's tripple A gaming done right.That's what we missed these past years and that's why everyone is giving it a GOTY

Kriken

Wow, I'm corrected then. Didn't know there was so much of a difference.

They made the setup for the new players very correctly, with the White Orchard intro, the conversations with Vessemir and after with the Nfilgaardians and Yennefer. It all felt natural.

In fact, they pander much more not to new players, but to the opposite, their hardcore fans, the ones who know the books. Loots of characters and callbacks from the books.

edit: goddamn 2014 was a bad year. Look at the goty blog:

Dragon Age: Inquisition - 134
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 49
Mario Kart 8 - 28
Super Smash Bros. - 28
Far Cry 4 - 26
Alien: Isolation - 23

Inquisition didn't have 1 or 2, but 134 goty awards? And the second one had less than half that number?! And it was the slightly overrated Shadow of Mordor? I want out.

The fact that Bayonetta 2 was closer to Vanilla Destiny than Shadow of Mordor depresses me

Deserved. What a fucking amazing game.

It's been a long time since i felt so interested in the characters and their stories. Amazing quests and epic narrative, good rpg systems and overall a really fun and inmersive experience.

Congratz CDPR.

Savitar

The Witcher 3 getting so much acclaim makes me happy, Witcher 2 got nominated and thought of alot but was passed up repeatedly.

The whole list is pretty good.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, looking it over a few times, I think that's a pretty fair list. I was going to nitpick some things (not missing games, but weird inclusions) but overall if you give it a +- 5 point swing for games, I think it works.

Personally, I think Ark: Survival Evolved should be on there, but the need to be playing with close friends with mics, and the reliance on good unofficial servers can understandably make it be omitted.

Unfortunately, Life is Strange turned out be another Mass Effect 3 for me, and the last episode soured me on it. I enjoyed the game, but looking back everything I did felt like a big waste of time.

poodaddy

I'm immensely pleased and happy for CD Projekt. Seriously, seeing a developer with such great ethics and design philosophy get the recognition they deserve is a beautiful thing. Also, awesome and well deserved spot to Rocket League as well. This was a great year for video games in general, especially massive games with lots of replayability.

Undertale and until dawn behind just cause 3 and super Mario maker nooo

Also evolve on that list at all lol. They must have gotten the dlc for free cause no one who didn't would have praised the game highly. 80 dollars of dlc with more on the way for a 60 dollar game.

Many RPGs encourage quest completion with new gear or experience gains. The Witcher 3’s quests, on the other hand, were compelling through the sheer force of their writing alone.

This is so true. In Fallout 4, I'm completing radiant quests for the purpose of gaining experience and leveling up. In Witcher 3, I actually care about what's going on.

Pretty good list. Hopefully all these Witcher awards will put CDPR on the map as one of the top rpg devs out there.

FLAguy954

e38.gif

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
People are just generally tired of the ultra-souls fan that festishzes it as the best games ever and dismissing other games as western-narrative AAA garbage

also this

Top Bottom