• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot GOTY 2015: The Witcher 3

What's up with the Bloodborne hate in all of these GOTY threads? Have Bloodborne fans been that obnoxious?

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether it, or Witcher 3 end up being my top game this year. If you'd asked me a month ago I would have said Bloodborne no doubt, but after months of putting it off I finished up Witcher 3 last week and now It's near impossible to decide. Will have to play the DLC of both to make my final decision I guess.

as someone who likes witcher 3 AND souls there are some in here who can't enjoy both and make a point to let you know every time the Witcher 3 wins an award that Bloodborne is the second coming of Jesus and that Witcher 3 was poopy babies.

Evolve being on the list is disappointing. Wonder if they just ran out of games to list. I mean, there's definitely more deserving games, but I doubt they could remember them, or even played them for that matter.

Rocket League being number 2 is interesting. Damn happy for the devs though for making it onto nearly every list. The world just wasn't ready for them when they originally released it 7 years ago.

wtf.gif
lmao

novablue

Banned
Her Story and Until Dawn are too high, I know people liked those games but their mediocrity is shouldn't be awarded that high on this list. Anyway, tastes are subjective and it's cool.

Another well deserved win for The Witcher 3. The sheer amount of polished and high quality content in the game puts it far, far above the competition, IMO. I hope it continues to be recognized by every other major publication/website!

Having said that, seeing Evolve on the list made me do a double take. Totally didn't expect that.

Been playing this the last couple weeks and I've started to get that special feeling when you know a game is going to be one of the best you've ever played.

If I hadn't picked this up my vote would go MGS V, but TW3 is such a masterpiece across the board it fully deserves all the accolades.

Congrats to the CDPR team on such a stunning achievement for crafting one of the best RPG's of all time.

Azzanadra

It's a shame when an exclusive is good because people become even more obnoxious about it, and they make me feel gross for enjoying said exclusive.

Or maybe, you know, its just an amazing game? From my readings of past threads, this is a line people also dropped when TLOU won GOTY here. "It only won because its a PS3 exclusive!" Yeah, exclusivity is certainly the *only* thing keping certain games good....sigh

Or maybe, you know, its just an amazing game? From my readings of past threads, this is a line people also dropped when TLOU won GOTY here. "It only won because its a PS3 exclusive!" Yeah, exclusivity is certainly the *only* thing keping certain games good....sigh

If you've been following these GOTY threads, that's not the problem.
We perfectly know that Bloodborne is an amazing game, you don't have to convince us that. The problem is they keep pushing that tone and tend to look down the other games that snatched GOTY rewards instead of Bloodborne, by downplaying, mocking, and comparing the games with Bloodborne. That's just disturbing to read. Some people just take these GOTY awards too seriously.
1. Bloodborne ; Fuck everything else. If this game doesnt get GOTY then gaf has their collective heads further up their asses then I realized. Its a fucking masterpiece.

I kinda feel the same way he does, yes it has to be a amazing game to win, but being exclusive will help get way more votes because it's normal for people to have a bias. I have seen a few votes in the GOTY where it's only Bloodborne, on there list, or being the only game worth playing in 2015. If you follow neogaf GOTY threads in the 11 years or so, only exlusives won, except for one time.

It's a shame when an exclusive is good because people become even more obnoxious about it, and they make me feel gross for enjoying said exclusive.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. GOTY-season can get messy with its thinly veiled politics, so it's always pleasant to see reasonable folks who contribute to celebrating games without tapping into tribal instincts. Just like what you like, and lead by example.

Jumeira

Banned
Would have never thought that the devs behind TW1 would grow to be a vilified AAA dev.

Congrats CDPR

There are a few salty posters, which is why others are baiting them as they're insufferable, whiney brats. CDPR put out one of the most ambitious title in years, you can't on any level knock what they've created. You can be critical and still recognise W3 being a landmark title.

d3vnull

So happy for CDPR.

Well deserved win.

I really really enjoyed the combat and gameplay of the Witcher. More than Bloodborne. I'm so sorry...

tesqui

Rocket League doesn't do it for me. I think it's cause I've played a few mods with a similar concept on CSS years ago. I understand that it's a fun game, but placing so high above every other game this year is crazy in my opinion.

jtar86

Man I wish I would have liked The Witcher 3 more. I really liked 2 and finished it but just could never get into 3. The combat was such a fucking bore. Seems like a lot of people like it and there's no denying it's well made so congrats to CDPR.

People are just generally tired of the ultra-souls fan that festishzes it as the best games ever and dismissing other games as western-narrative AAA garbage

also this

as someone who likes witcher 3 AND souls there are some in here who can't enjoy both and make a point to let you know every time the Witcher 3 wins an award that Bloodborne is the second coming of Jesus and that Witcher 3 was poopy babies.

That's disappointing to hear. I mean, I've seen a lot of people talk about how Witcher 3's combat was so bad that it was unplayable, which I think is a gross exaggeration. It definitely wasn't the best, especially coming off of Bloodborne and Dark Souls II SotFS, but I wouldn't call it bad either. Much better than Witcher 2's as well but then for some, that might not be saying much haha

Either way, I think both games are a masterclass, and seek to do such different things that it's near impossible to compare them as RPG's.

Jennipeg

Man I wish I would have liked The Witcher 3 more. I really liked 2 and finished it but just could never get into 3. The combat was such a fucking bore. Seems like a lot of people like it and there's no denying it's well made so congrats to CDPR.

The combat is the weaker point for sure, I found the story and characters were enough to make me want to keep going. Well, except for the Dandelion search, which went on forever. I thought the combat was alright, not great but ok. Overall it was a fantastic game.

Denton

Well there are people who think Witcher 3 has good gameplay, so anything is possible in the realm of weird opinions.

It should be judged as a story, not as a game-story.
It has great gameplay,yeah. And writing on par with books, which are some of the most celebrated fantasy out there.

Skelter

Banned
I wish people would always add whether they've played Bloodborne when they make statements like these. Seriously, I'm always curious.

I wish people would say if they ever played Severance: Blade Of Darkness when they talk about Bloodborne.

Well there are people who think Witcher 3 has good gameplay, so anything is possible in the realm of weird opinions.

Salty Bloodborne fans make it sound as if Witcher 3 plays like Assassin's Creed with it's brain dead easy combat, Risen 2 which is...just terrible for anything that is more than 1 on 1 sword fights or Skyrim which isn't fun at all except Archery. It's not Bloodborne but the combat is fun enough for people who play open world games. The benefits of Bloodborne's tight gameplay is that everything else is smaller. Witcher 3 is a monster in terms of content.

I wish people would always add whether they've played Bloodborne when they make statements like these. Seriously, I'm always curious.
I make the same statement and I own Bloodborne. Loved it in fact. The way that some people just can't fathom enjoying a game more than BB or a Souls game is so strange to me, sometimes downright hilarious actually.

MadYarpen

I wish people would say if they ever played Severance: Blade Of Darkness when they talk about Bloodborne.

Salty Bloodborne fans make it sound as if Witcher 3 plays like Assassin's Creed with it's brain dead easy combat, Risen 2 which is...just terrible for anything that is more than 1 on 1 sword fights or Skyrim which isn't fun at all except Archery. It's not Bloodborne but the combat is fun enough for people who play open world games. The benefits of Bloodborne's tight gameplay is that everything else is smaller. Witcher 3 is a monster in terms of content.

I really enjoyed the combat in the Witcher, and it was right after finishing Bloodborne.

IMO, the key was to understand the differences:

1. In BB pressing a button means the charracter is moving right away, including dodging. In the witcher - charracter starts to move when you press a button - Geralt has some weight that has to be put into motion.

2. In BB no matter where you are dodging, enemy cannot hit you if you are in the "dodging state". I remember spamming dodge button when fighting with some bosses. In the Witcher - quite the opposite. The direction where you dodge matters - if enemy hits to the right, dodging right will get you in trouble. And only by purchasing a skill in the red tree you can gain the benefit that enemy does not hurt you when dodging.

regarding the first one, it can make game controls feel loose, but I think it is a design choice - some which many dislike it seems - but you have to include it in your playing style. I had no problem with that to be honest.
And the second - this one I actually like more in the Witcher.

When I started to feel the combat in the witcher I had some great fights, in which Geralt looked like he was dancing around his enemy who was hiting only air around him. Felt quite nice.

And don't get me wrong - I'm not saying combat in the witcher is better, just trying to explain why I managed to enjoy it. There were some issues even I didn;t like - for example combat in small areas. It was pain in the ass, considering you had to be carefull where to dodge. And in BB I dont see any problem in combat mechanics. Still, TW3 was more than OK for me.

I actually quite liked the combat in the Witcher 3 because it encouraged you to use all the tools at your disposal.

Is it perfect? Fuck no. Hit boxes can be dubious at times. But I found it really fun.

The Witcher 3 is a bad game , with a decent story.

The fact that it wins goty will just prove again that gameplay is unimportant and all you have to do is give people pretty graphics , a half decent story and a chance to have sex in a virtual world and they will call it GOTY.

Opinions. The Witcher 3 is a great game with a decent story. If you don't like the gameplay, that's fine. But I find the combat extremely fun. I'm on my 2nd playthrough specializing in a completely different way, and it's working out just as well.

If the gameplay was really that horrible, it wouldn't be doing so well on all the top games of 2015 lists.

The only real complaint I had about the gameplay was the movement responsiveness, and they fixed that in a patch a long time ago.

Also, I can't imagine too many people actually care about the ability to have sex in this game. I sure as hell don't.

tuxfool

Banned

Another winning post from a different GOTY thread:

Witcher 3's gameplay is a greater sin than MGSV's story.

Meanwhile, Bloodborne is perfection.

Catdaddy

For the most part, I agree with this list.....

although I'd love to see MGS and BB not on the list to see how many minutes it takes for this thread to hit 100 pages...

I never got the essay on why The Witcher 3 is a bad game. :(

Not bad to me, just very average in concept. What it does it does well, but it does nothing really unique with it.

Not really a game I would call GOTY, but games sites care more about graphics and gameplay than uniqueness.

Xeteh

Not bad to me, just very average in concept. What it does it does well, but it does nothing really unique with it.

Not really a game I would call GOTY, but games sites care more about graphics and gameplay than uniqueness.

I don't even know what this means.

Zemm

What's up with the Bloodborne hate in all of these GOTY threads? Have Bloodborne fans been that obnoxious?

Yep. The blow back for Bloodborne hasn't been because of the actual game, it's because it has the most insufferable fanbase on the Internet.

I've completed Bloodborne three times including the DLC, have put more hours into it than The Witcher 3, but I still think the latter is the better game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

If we're going to start awarding GOTY based on "uniqueness", then we're not going to have much to choose from.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Why does a game need to be necessarly unique in order to be outstanding? I still play my games for their story, as entertainment, and not for how unique they are.
Sometimes being good in basic things is just enough for an awesome result.

It is far from average in concept. There are numerous articles in this thread that discuss what it does:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1160928&page=1

Here is a quote from one of them:

It’s hard to describe why The Witcher 3 is good without letting goodness itself—sheer quality—be the unit of measurement. Think of a scene in the game, any scene, and how much care and craftsmanship it exudes from every pixel, every sound, every word, every aesthetic and narrative choice. I still find myself struck by a cutscene from what many regard to be the game’s most captivating and devastating sequence: the Bloody Baron questline, which requires mutant monster-hunter Geralt to travel across the wastes of Velen looking for the wife and daughter of a self-proclaimed provincial despot. At a certain point, Geralt arrives at the cabin of an old woman simply named Gran, hoping to commune with the witches who control her. The camera lingers on a tapestry of three young women; standing before them, she utters a plaintive, withering plea:

Ladies lovely, with power o’er all,
Beseech I thee, answer my call,
Before you a worm crawls, wretched and small…

Gran’s eyes roll back and the witches begin to speak through her, the game’s top-notch facial animation capturing the uncanny microexpressions of the possessed (as opposed to most facial animation, which makes characters look possessed 100% of the time). In the background, a ragged violin pursues its neverending project of furious lamentation. In the foreground, the cinematography—aside from dialogue, consistently the game’s best and most expressive aspect—jumps to and from the figures on the tapestry as they converse with our white-haired hero, heightening their implacability and, as always, heightening his.

One way to praise this scene without just flat-out saying it’s atmospheric as fuck would be to talk about how densely and subtly it blends together elements of other genres and other media. The tapestry looks Pre-Raphaelite, its figures flattened and serpentine; the rhyme could’ve been extracted from the Brothers Grimm; the witches themselves, evil yet never quite inconsistent, take us all the way back to Macbeth. The score draws from a pan-European blend of folk styles; the camerawork proceeds with a canny understanding of the reaction shot, pinging desperately—in a way that heightens the moment’s unease—from Geralt to interlocutors that can’t be framed. Unlike many big-budget games (let’s face it, probably most of them), The Witcher 3 not only behaves as though it’s aware of the existence of other art forms but seems entirely willing to converse with them in both directions. Just as it draws from the techniques of movies, books, and everything else, it confidently offers itself as a possible reference point, as though it weren’t preposterous at all to think that someone’s future movie could be “like The Witcher 3.” I remember one of my favorite professors arguing that the novel was a “literary turducken” because it could contain and consume everything from poetry to classified ads. The Witcher 3 is a multimedia turducken with an entirely un-turducken-like sense of purpose.

At the same time, the game’s way of containing and consuming its own genre—the open-world Western RPG—might be even more impressive. It’s a lot like the best prestige TV (The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad) in its commitment to transcending the structures of a recognizable genre tradition, meaningfully exploiting what the German critic Hans Robert Jauss called the “horizons of expectation” that we bring with us to any work of art that looks like something we’ve encountered before. The Sopranos depicted a world in which characters had internalized The Godfather to a ridiculous extent, and its most brilliant moments stemmed from an assumption that its audience had done the same.

The Witcher 3, likewise, betrays a canny understanding of what we tend to expect from RPGs like it. There is freedom in The Witcher 3, as there is in any Bethesda game or Dragon Age: Inquisition: freedom to go where you want, do what you want, fight what you want, romance who you want. But it isn’t unlimited freedom, and it often transforms into varieties of constraint: the ostracism that shadows Geralt’s wandering-ronin lifestyle; the sense that most choices are not yours and equally valid but his and equally grim. You can choose Triss or Yennefer, but the choice isn’t completely, synchronically open to you like Miranda vs. Tali vs. Jack; if you’re like me, you’ll get to know Yennefer well after having chosen or not chosen Triss, and feel a measure of resentment toward the unfairnesses of time. Working within a genre that lends itself to systematic sidequesting and obsessive completionism, the game makes a ton of things missable, often silently so. It takes the “open” in “open-world,” the “role-playing” in RPG, and makes both into expressive vehicles of pathos and discomfort. The world is too open, and Geralt’s role in it is wearily, oppressively defined. (Before you a worm crawls, wretched and small…) But perhaps we can derive some comfort from the idea that the open-world as an aesthetic template is more open than ever—to other genres, to other meanings, to a different idea of itself.

Vice

There are merits to both. A steak prepared traditionally in a flawless way can be just as satisfying as something new like a sous video steak.

And, most of the games that are highly praised this year are very similar to games that already exist anyway. They are sequels, or successors, that added significantly to previous titles and that's great.

tuxfool

Banned
There are merits to both. A steak prepared traditionally in a flawless way can be just as satisfying as something new like a sous video steak.

And, most of the games that are highly praised this year are very similar to games that already exist anyway. They are sequels, or successors, that added significantly to previous titles and that's great.

Now... that is indeed new ;p

Top Bottom