• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Announces today Wii U Wait-Program "Demand off the charts"

It could be bigger than the Wii.

I wouldn't wager money on it, but if it were to capture the hardcore and casual market

phew...

It could have longer legs too
I wouldn't be surpised if it were one of the most successful consoles ever. People thought I was crazy when I said that about Wii...

Acageron

Excellent, I look forward to seeing how wiiu performs. Props to Ninty if they can recreate the success of the wii. Looks like they are headed in the right direction.

You had Wii preorders in 2008?

I worked at GameStop from 2004-2009 and after the Wii launch we didn't have any other Wii preorders. We took 9 Wii preorders in September prior to launch and that was it -- this figure was given by corporate as the limit for our store. We received 9 for launch day and a small batch later in the week. Given we sold out of them before we even opened the box because people would follow the UPS truck to the store and even offer "help" to unload the truck.....

Gamestop continually took preorders after the launch. They would do it in waves from time to time. Sorry for the confusion. I did not mean we had 2006 preorders not being fulfilled all the way to 2008.

andthebeatgoeson

I still can't believe I couldn't preorder a deluxe on Saturday morning. TWO DAYS AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT. Two work days. Stupid.

I have come to peace with my basic set though (superior white), outside of the NiN Premium thing. :
You can have my premium for your basic +$100 and free shipping. It's better than any other deal you'll get.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
An exclusive wait list? That's an incredible opportunity for me as a consumer - thank you GameStop.

The cynical part of me is thinking that GameStop is sucking wind so they really need a big holiday season so however they can hype, whether that's low preorder allocations to increase demand or what - it's hard for me to take this seriously.

Daschysta

An exclusive wait list? That's an incredible opportunity for me as a consumer - thank you GameStop.

The cynical part of me is thinking that GameStop is sucking wind so they really need a big holiday season so however they can hype, whether that's low preorder allocations to increase demand or what - it's hard for me to take this seriously.

Pretty much every other big retailer is sold out too, even places like Wal-Mart only have a few bundles left iirc.

It could be bigger than the Wii.

I wouldn't wager money on it, but if it were to capture the hardcore and casual market

phew...

It could have longer legs too

That's impossible, the Wii U isn't even next gen and all they have is Mario and they know it. Now they're stealing games from hard working red blooded gamers by money hatting Bayonetta. Nintendo is everything that's been wrong with the gaming industry.

And yes I'm trolling so don't start calling me a fanboy/idiot

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Pretty much every other big retailer is sold out too, even places like Wal-Mart only have a few bundles left iirc.

Ok well I've been around this place since 2000 and the news is always the same for every console launch - I could be wrong and this may be the "biggest ever" but I don't believe so - one other thing to keep in mind is the market is much bigger than it was in 2005 or so.

pramath

Banned
Ok well I've been around this place since 2000 and the news is always the same for every console launch - I could be wrong and this may be the "biggest ever" but I don't believe so - one other thing to keep in mind is the market is much bigger than it was in 2005 or so.

The scary thing is, Nintendo hasn;t even starting advertising

This launch is going to be Titanic

NateDrake

Gamestop continually took preorders after the launch. They would do it in waves from time to time. Sorry for the confusion. I did not mean we had 2006 preorders not being fulfilled all the way to 2008.

This varied region to region then because we definitely didn't do this and my store was the busiest in the district.

What I'm wondering is when do people think the second shipment will be? Launch is the 18th but will they have a shipment before Black Friday in North America of substantial proportions or nothing at all?

So who wants to bet that gamestop and others will still sell to someone with $300 cash in hand, and ignore a preorder?
Majority of circumstances, not a chance. Could it happen? Sure. Hell, a guy offered me $3,000 to buy the Wii demo station in the store during the Wii mania. Anything could happen.

Daschysta

It is enough to say that the launch is likely going to be huge. I very seriously doubt that places like Wal-Mart aren't being allocated tons of consoles for launch, ditto to places like BB, K Marty etc... and yet all of them are pretty much sold out of preorders.

The Wii-U is the follow up to a console with sensational sales. Not only does it service gamers, but a fair amount of people who started gaming with the Wii are going to jump on board too. The "Wii" brand name carries alot of weight with these people probably.

Eusis

Odd, I don't remember all this flag waving and Gamestop PR trying to spur sales for 3DS or Vita.
That, and I suspect the slowing retail is a combo effect of the economy and the lack of new game consoles to make things exciting again. The former isn't exactly addressed now, but the latter is readily addressed with this, assuming consumer interest in consoles isn't actually fading away entirely for real now. The fact the 3DS and Vita failed to REALLY set off charts is somewhat concerning though, but the 3DS seems to be doing solidly, and maybe new consoles can help those out afterall?
I wouldn't be surpised if it were one of the most successful consoles ever. People thought I was crazy when I said that about Wii...
I think the gimmick with the Wii was more novelty though, whereas people will probably look at this and go "But I have/could get a tablet." Then again this just might be the peanut butter and chocolate combination to really excite people, and perhaps that could be inverted in parents seeing this as a sort of alternative to an iPad for their kids, it can't actually replace it but it probably is more durable and will satisfy at least the "play with things on a big screen" angle while also getting them Mario and whatever.

ironcreed

Banned
So who wants to bet that gamestop and others will still sell to someone with $300 cash in hand, and ignore a preorder?

I'll bet because I tried to do it the other day and they refused the money. They said that they cannot take any deposit towards a Wii U right now, but they would put me on the waiting list.

Misterhbk

I'll bet because I tried to do it the other day and they refused the money. They said that they cannot take any deposit towards a Wii U right now, but they would put me on the waiting list.

He's talking about on day 1. Someone with cash will get one and someone who preordered will be screwed. It will happen.

ironcreed

Banned
Its different when they have the product in hand.

Ah, on day 1. Would not surprise me, but I know I'll be there the day they call me... whenever that may be. They said that you will have 48 hours to respond after they contact you, so they damn well better have it for me.

Comet

I'll be getting one, but not for the gimmicky controller gameplay or outdated graphics, but because it'll probably be the only console I'll ever need that will house NES, SNES, N64, GC (that's coming possibly) libraries, and BC with Wii games. I just sold off a ton of my collection, practically every console and its respective game library that I just listed, so it would be nice to regain some gems and have one HDD house all these classics (legally).

Olaeh

We received 9 for launch day and a small batch later in the week. Given we sold out of them before we even opened the box because people would follow the UPS truck to the store and even offer "help" to unload the truck.....

Wow, this brings back a lot of memories of Wii mania. They offered to help unload the boxes? That's nice, only thing is I'd be afraid someone might try to grab the box of Wii's and make a run for it.

Wow, this brings back a lot of memories of Wii mania. They offered to help unload the boxes? That's nice, only thing is I'd be afraid someone might try to grab the box of Wii's and make a run for it.

That's why he put help in quotes. It wasn't uncommon for people to try to steal Wiis. I had left before the Wii launch, but my friends were still at the same store. We didn't have a lock on our backroom and they constantly had problems with people looking in the back room for a Wii "accidentally."

Anustart

He's talking about on day 1. Someone with cash will get one and someone who preordered will be screwed. It will happen.

What will happen is some business will get less units than pre-orders, fan will go to store to pick up non existant wii u, come home and complain they sold his console. That will happen.

pramath

Banned
That's why he put help in quotes. It wasn't uncommon for people to try to steal Wiis. I had left before the Wii launch, but my friends were still at the same store. We didn't have a lock on our backroom and they constantly had problems with people looking in the back room for a Wii "accidentally."

I had my Wii stolen... but when I lent it out :(

Roo

That's impossible, the Wii U isn't even next gen and all they have is Mario and they know it. Now they're stealing games from hard working red blooded gamers by money hatting Bayonetta. Nintendo is everything that's been wrong with the gaming industry.

XwqNC.gif

So demand is "off the charts", but I wonder how well demand is charting compared to other console launches?

Surely something being off the charts would imply the demand is unprecedented? After all, that is what the charts are for. Charting things.

zroid

Banned

11/18

I've been waiting patiently for 6 years......I bought the Wii and still own it today, but it never felt like that was the system I was waiting for. The Wii U gives me excitement I hadn't felt since the Gamecube in 2001.

Also, for those who think the Wii U doesn't have enough games at launch are going to be shocked when they see the store shelves. Best 3rd party support at launch ever.

It is enough to say that the launch is likely going to be huge. I very seriously doubt that places like Wal-Mart aren't being allocated tons of consoles for launch, ditto to places like BB, K Marty etc... and yet all of them are pretty much sold out of preorders.

Don't consoles pretty much always sell out at launch, regardless of shipment numbers?

Demand for a new product is always there, and generally it's a mad rush to manufacture enough to meet the initial demand.

Top Bottom