• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Announces today Wii U Wait-Program "Demand off the charts"

pramath

Banned
I'm not super excited. I might not even buy any launch games, besides the pack-in Nintendoland. That said, here are some reasons I decided to preorder.

1) Even though I still have a perfectly working Sony CRT, I'm never going to game on it again. That TV has been relegated to the guests' room. It's the biggest reason I skipped the Wii, and I now welcome Nintendo to HD gaming, wholeheartedly.

2) There are announced games that I am already looking forward to, so it's more than just blind expectations of good games being made for the system.

3) Since I already decided I want the system, despite not being too interested in the launch games, I also don't want to have to deal with another Wii scenario, e.g., having to line-up overnight for a Wii even a year after launch. I did this for a young family member who wanted one.

For me, I foresee the Wii U being an exclusives machine. I don't see myself buying any multiplatform games for it, especially once PS4/720 rolls out.

I'm totally buying most of my multiplats on Wii U and I'll give you two reasons why.

1) I can lie down on my bed and play games straight off the controller
2) no split screen multiplayer

Meelow

Banned
I'm not super excited. I might not even buy any launch games, besides the pack-in Nintendoland. That said, here are some reasons I decided to preorder.

1) Even though I still have a perfectly working Sony CRT, I'm never going to game on it again. That TV has been relegated to the guests' room. It's the biggest reason I skipped the Wii, and I now welcome Nintendo to HD gaming, wholeheartedly.

2) There are announced games that I am already looking forward to, so it's more than just blind expectations of good games being made for the system.

3) Since I already decided I want the system, despite not being too interested in the launch games, I also don't want to have to deal with another Wii scenario, e.g., having to line-up overnight for a Wii even a year after launch. I did this for a young family member who wanted one.

For me, I foresee the Wii U being an exclusives machine. I don't see myself buying any multiplatform games for it, especially once PS4/720 rolls out.

The thing that will help the Wii U is the Gamepad, if a lot of those games can be played on the Gamepad that can definitely help the Wii U version of games sell just as good as the PS4 versions, maybe even more.

ASIS

There is absolutely no doubt, even if we didn't already know that Pikmin 3 Wii U is a result of carried over Wii development.*

The texture detail is extraordinarily sub-par, barely-first gen 360 stuff. The level geometry is extremely low by any next-gen standard, which shouldn't even be the case as Pikmin levels have never been known to be astronomically large and impressive. Character models in particular are painfully outdated by modern standards.

Its basic disconnection from last-gen appear to be a slightly beefier poly count, higher res textures and some basic next-gen shaders. It is absolutely what a game that has been pulled from the previous gen would look like had minimal effort been put into its presentation. Just compare to something like Viva Pinata and see what a next-gen game is supposed to look like, when in the hands of a capable developer.

Pikmin 3 is my most anticipated game right now altogether, as Pikmin 2 was one of my most favorite games of all time. Nintendo is new to next-gen, and I can forgive them some stumbling forward, but I am not new to next-gen and know what the baseline standard should be for games in this generation. My standards are altogether much, much higher, and the potential of Pikmin as a visual powerhouse is pretty obvious given what the concept is. Shit, Nintendoland Pikmin looks way better visually, a mini-game gimmick tech demo for christ's sake :mad:

Obviously when someone says 'up-res Wii game' they're using hyperbole-for-effect, but it is painfully obvious where the engines roots are. It is almost in-your-face unimpressive from a technical perspective, owning only its 60fps.
You know, I'm not sure why but even after reading this post and agreeing 100% with it. I'm just not upset, hell I'm not even disappointed (well I was a bit at the conference but not anymore). Maybe its because I'm starving for a new pikmin, or maybe its because, as you said, its a new Nintendo console, but I really am hyped for this game, that fact that its Wii roots show don't do anything to me.

Also, artistically, the game still looks beautiful IMO.

The thing that will help the Wii U is the Gamepad, if a lot of those games can be played on the Gamepad that can definitely help the Wii U version of games sell just as good as the PS4 versions, maybe even more.
If the benefits of using the the Wii U gamepad prove to outweigh the expected performance and online advantages of PS4/720, I would have no qualms buying the Wii U versions of such games. These are just my early expectations of systems which are obviously not even launched yet. And I will obviously have plenty of hands-on experience with the Wii U before I even have to worry about multiplats on PS4/720.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
3) it's Nintendo dude, XOXO Nintendo

Pretty much.

Though I am buying Call of Duty Black Ops 2* for WiiU solely because of no split-screen with bot play. Assassin's Creed 3* I'll pick up for WiiU just because I need stuff for the shiny new hardware. After that, it will be a case by case basis. Assuming the WiiU hardware isn't used for a huge innovation or gameplay enhancement, I will go with whatever console runs the game the best. And whenever the 720/PS4 are released, I would imagine the vast majority of my multi-platform purchases will take place there.

* Titles I will be buying for "free" in the inevitable buy two get one free holiday gaming deal. If said deal isn't available, then I will most likely rent.

I'm totally buying most of my multiplats on Wii U and I'll give you two reasons why.

1) I can lie down on my bed and play games straight off the controller
2) no split screen multiplayer

Oooh that's gonna be bad for me...I already spend way too much time in bed playing my handhelds when I should be asleep.

So... you're saying Nintendo purposely told Gamestop to cut preorders off at a certain point so they could drum up demand, and are now using this program as a way to "open up the floodgates" again? Holy shit, conspiracy!

I think he's saying that Gamestop might not be taking pre-orders just so they can have some on the shelves too.

Meelow

Banned

First comment

"Locked region :-( I'm very disappointed by Nintendo.. I'm gonna wait for PS4"
How is he/she disappointed?, it was obvious from the start, and like I said who knows if PS4/720 won't be region locked, people acting like this is Nintendo's first time doing it or they are the only ones who do it.

Amir0x

Banned
you can still be disappointed at something even if history has shown that it has happened before. because the fact that it has happened again is still a disappointing revelation, and there is always the dim hope that things may, in fact, change. things change all the time. perhaps that individual was hoping it would change, and is disappointed that it has not. The expectation being what it was does not necessarily change ones level of disappointment.

can't believe i'm defending random internet comments :<

you can still be disappointed at something even if history has shown that it has happened before. because the fact that it has happened again is still a disappointing revelation, and there is always the dim hope that things may, in fact, change. things change all the time. perhaps that individual was hoping it would change, and is disappointed that it has not. The expectation being what it was does not necessarily change ones level of disappointment.

can't believe i'm defending random internet comments :<

You must just hate the WiiU.

Have fun with region locking!
We still know nothing about Mexico and Latinamerica, so you can buy one there and still use it in US without any problem. But so far there isn't any store taking preorder officially, some of the biggest stores in Mexico like Gamers Retail and Mixup don't have the system on their lists.

pramath

Banned
We still know nothing about Mexico and Latinamerica, so you can buy one there and still use it in US without any problem. But so far there isn't any store taking preorder officially, some of the biggest stores in Mexico like Gamers Retail and Mixup don't have the system on their lists.

That's strange... you would think Nintendo would allocate some stock to our brothers in the south.

pramath

Banned
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/09...ggie-fils-aime-calls-wii-u-supply-chain-solid

Reggie
"We've learned a lot of lessons from the launch of the DS, the launch of Wii and the launch of 3DS," Fils-Aime told Forbes. "And our supply chain is solid. My job is to work with retailers, work with other business partners to create demand for the product, and have the consumer get excited. And I think we're well on the way to doing that."

"My expectation is that we will do a phenomenal job helping the consumer understand the benefits of Wii U, and that our retailers will do a wonderful job of merchandising the product and getting it into consumers' hands," he continued. "We want to satisfy all of the demand that's out there. That's our goal."

The concern comes from news yesterday that GameStop had halted pre-orders for both models of the Wii U. The company marked those pre-order options on its official web site as "sold out."

FyreWulff

So is this a waitlist to preorder? Or a actual preorder?

I think it's a list you can get on for when they come in. You have 48 hours to respond (I guess come in and buy it) then it goes down the list if you don't respond.

I wouldn't think it'd be a list to get on for the opportunity to preorder a shipment. It's probably you have to outright buy it once your turn comes up.

rCIZZLE

Is the wait list a nation wide type deal or just for each particular store? Girl at mine said they didn't have too many people ask to be placed on the list by the time I went in on Thursday, which is well after they announced this.

Amir0x

Banned
It's just about taking the opportunity to equally distribute my hate amongst all shitty products, regardless of developer, console manufacturer or publisher. It's not about hating everything related to gaming. I probably like more things than you do. It's just not as interesting to talk about.

It's just about taking the opportunity to equally distribute my hate amongst all shitty products, regardless of developer, console manufacturer or publisher. It's not about hating everything related to gaming. I probably like more things than you do. It's just not as interesting to talk about.

You have to be careful though. Most products/developers are consistently shitty. Don't want to hate on anything for too long.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

..wha.. oh.... oook...

corner_dunce.jpg

I think it's a list you can get on for when they come in. You have 48 hours to respond (I guess come in and buy it) then it goes down the list if you don't respond.

I wouldn't think it'd be a list to get on for the opportunity to preorder a shipment. It's probably you have to outright buy it once your turn comes up.
I guess no waiting in line this year at gamestop then if this program consists.

Top Bottom