• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Announces today Wii U Wait-Program "Demand off the charts"

pramath

Banned
Doesn't this happen every generation now with every Nintendo platform?

DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U?

People say they're not going to control the market because of "the graphics!"

and they they go on to lead the market?

When will people learn?

DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U?

When will people learn?

People have preferences. The mistake that they make is that they think only true gamers go for the system with their preferences (in this case the best graphics). True gamers go for every system, and cherry pick the software titles that make best use of that system.

Either that, or the people making these arguments are viral marketers with the intent on further differentiating one system over another. Good luck proving it though.

i found what sunshine dude is saying extremely odd.

so the WIIU, a game system that is coming out a generation after the 360/ps3/wii is NOT nextgen? :S

Trogdor1123

DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U?

When will people learn?

Well in all fairness it hasnt been every generation and it hasnt been every Nintendo platform. Lots of their stuff hasnt led the market. You can pick and choose all you want i guess though.

Are there any concrete numbers? I'm curious what "demand is off the charts" actually means in terms of allocated units.

I don't see it doing as good as the Wii when it launches, I am fairly certain it will be stores and I'll be able to find one if I choose to purchase it (had no issue finding Wii's).

BDGAME

So, there are around 4k gamestop in USA. If each of them gets 10 units, will be 40,000 Wii U. If 20 will be 80,000. Some should receive more than this, some less. Does 100,000 would be the number of Wii Us shipped to gamespot?

That's a high number when considered to be only a chain of stores.

pvpness

I'm actually starting to feel pity for people that don't understand what next gen means, or refuse to accept it because of some weird emotional attachment to an entertainment industry. Used to just think it was funny, like when people write, "For intensive purposes" or mispronounce hyperbole.

Put me in the group that's less than impressed. Pretty used to launch hardware selling out (90% of the time). Though I'm curious and not turning up any info web wise, have they said how long the 10% back on digital purchases (for the deluxe system) will last? I've heard 2 years but not seen confirmation...

Also curious as to were flyinpiranha shops because they musta been one of the only people in the world to just walk into a store and find a Wii while it was consistently sold out. ;)

Mondriaan

How does that explain that they're sold out along with all the other retailers?
It doesn't matter what happens with other retailers.

Gamestop will use the wii U example to get people to preorder COD and Madden because it's in theory not completely impossible that other things could get supply constrained.

pramath

Banned
So, there are around 4k gamestop in USA. If each of them gets 10 units, will be 40,000 Wii U. If 20 will be 80,000. Some should receive more than this, some less. Does 100,000 would be the number of Wii Us shipped to gamespot?

That's a high number when considered to be only a chain of stores.

We've already done the math.

That 10 units number was confirmed bunk.

Most GS stores are getting 20-25 on average.

100 k is about right.

Gaborn

First to ten million wins.

always

First I want to say I didn't mean it in that context (though it is a nice call back). I think though that the Wii U's advantage is not just the install base which the 360 obviously had but its the price, and that it immediately differentiated itself from what consumers were used to experiencing. Whether you love what the 360 was at launch and a year later or you don't love it I think the appeal it had was mostly directed at people who have played games before, in other words it was an evolutionary approach to the console. The Wii itself was disruptive to the market and was perceived as very new and different and appealed to a different set of consumers.

I think again Nintendo is going with a broad based approach to the gaming market and again they're attempting to interest consumers in non-traditional ways. So I look at Nintendo's 10 million coming from a broader pool with much greater growth potential and, given that it doesn't have a limiting factor like price as MS and Sony ultimately had to deal with last gen I DO see Nintendo's lead potentially becoming insurmountable coming out of the gate, similar in effect to what the PS2 did in its generation to the Xbox and the GC.

First I want to say I didn't mean it in that context (though it is a nice call back). I think though that the Wii U's advantage is not just the install base which the 360 obviously had but its the price, and that it immediately differentiated itself from what consumers were used to experiencing. Whether you love what the 360 was at launch and a year later or you don't love it I think the appeal it had was mostly directed at people who have played games before, in other words it was an evolutionary approach to the console. The Wii itself was disruptive to the market and was perceived as very new and different and appealed to a different set of consumers.

I think again Nintendo is going with a broad based approach to the gaming market and again they're attempting to interest consumers in non-traditional ways. So I look at Nintendo's 10 million coming from a broader pool with much greater growth potential and, given that it doesn't have a limiting factor like price as MS and Sony ultimately had to deal with last gen I DO see Nintendo's lead potentially becoming insurmountable coming out of the gate, similar in effect to what the PS2 did in its generation to the Xbox and the GC.

The PS2's lead was insurmountable because of the metric shit ton of exclusives the system had that couldn't be contended with especially by a Nintendo whose 1st party was in a severe sales decline at the time. Honestly I think the PS4 and 720 will never catch Wii U but I'm going under the assumption the other two will be much more expensive which will cause that.

Gaborn

The PS2's lead was insurmountable because of the metric shit ton of exclusives the system had that couldn't be contended with especially by a Nintendo whose 1st party was in a severe sales decline at the time. Honestly I think the PS4 and 720 will never catch Wii U but I'm going under the assumption the other two will be much more expensive which will cause that.

I don't think you're wrong, but I think a large part of that was also the large gap between the PS2's release and any competition. It's generally not advisable to give the market leader a year+ head start to build new relationships and convince developers your platform is the only game in town so it'll be the only one with a decent userbase. My guess is people will ultimately be surprised by the level of support the Wii U gets.

jspeerbr

Neo Member
I am more curious to see what the tie ratio will look like. When the PS3 was first released they were looking at almost 1:1 which is very low. If we are seeing something similar in terms of game preorders for the U expect to see a nice flood of them on eBay.

Gaborn

I am more curious to see what the tie ratio will look like. When the PS3 was first released they were looking at almost 1:1 which is very low. If we are seeing something similar in terms of game preorders for the U expect to see a nice flood of them on eBay.

The difference is people aren't buying the Wii U to be a Blu-ray player. The tie ratio should be decent from the start and just get better as happened with the Wii.

Lenardo

Banned
Lets say that most of the big "3" get about the same number of units

means we are looking at about
300 thousand Wiiu's just for walmart, toysrus and ebgames/gamestop's.

then we have kmart/sears(they are still owned by same company right?), target, frye's.

what other semi large retailer did i miss?

figure ~50k for each of them

so now we are at about 450 thousand @release day- minimum US only.

imo if this demand is "unprecedented" maybe they should shoot for a million @ release :p

2-3 million by xmas

Vdragoon

It doesn't matter what happens with other retailers.

Gamestop will use the wii U example to get people to preorder COD and Madden because it's in theory not completely impossible that other things could get supply constrained.

do you even know what the hell you are typing ?

DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U?

When will people learn?

The 3DS would not have lead the market at its launch price... which is why Nintendo freaked out and dropped it a few months after launch.

It will be interesting to watch, if this becomes a circus like the Wii did.

And damn some posters are really excited about potential wiiu sales. I expect everything including confetti if WiiU blows up.

Lets say that most of the big "3" get about the same number of units

means we are looking at about
300 thousand Wiiu's just for walmart, toysrus and ebgames/gamestop's.

then we have kmart/sears(they are still owned by same company right?), target, frye's.

what other semi large retailer did i miss?

figure ~50k for each of them

so now we are at about 450 thousand @release day- minimum US only.

imo if this demand is "unprecedented" maybe they should shoot for a million @ release :p

2-3 million by xmas
i'm sure they'd love to be able to make enough systems to sell to everyone that wants one, but these things aren't easy. increases in production take months. best to wait and see if any supply issues ease post holiday than to try to ramp up production now.

bill0527

Are there any concrete numbers? I'm curious what "demand is off the charts" actually means in terms of allocated units.

I don't see it doing as good as the Wii when it launches, I am fairly certain it will be stores and I'll be able to find one if I choose to purchase it (had no issue finding Wii's).

I'm curious as to where you live that you were able to walk in on day 1 and get a Wii system like the shelves were about to buckle from all the weight of unsold systems.

You couldn't walk into a store where I live until the next Spring and see a Wii sitting on the shelf.

Also, before you make your bold prediction about WiiU systems just sitting there for the average person to walk in and buy whenever they feel like it, some history for you - since the year 2000, there have only been 2 consoles in the U.S. that weren't supply constrained to the point where you could walk into a store and buy one at any time within the first couple of weeks that it launched - the Gamecube and the PS3. The Gamecube because, well, it was a Cube, and PS2 had a year head start on it in the U.S., and the PS3 because of $599 USD.

That's not to say you absolutely won't be able to just walk into a store and get one. Some people will follow the UPS trucks, some people will get lucky right after UPS has made a delivery and they've just restocked the shelves.

But keep this in mind - the general media hasn't even been talking about Wii U yet, and pre-orders are already sold out everywhere. Its the follow up to the best selling console of last generation, and there's a good segment of the hardcore audience who are starving for some new hardware at this point. I have no doubt that Nintendo will sell every single WiiU they can ship from now until probably the end of January or early Spring.

But keep this in mind - the general media hasn't even been talking about Wii U yet, and pre-orders are already sold out everywhere. Its the follow up to the best selling console of last generation, and there's a good segment of the hardcore audience who are starving for some new hardware at this point. I have no doubt that Nintendo will sell every single WiiU they can ship from now until probably the end of January or early Spring.

The 3DS was the follow up to a system more popular and better selling than the Wii was and look how that turned out. Nothing is set in stone.

bill0527

The 3DS was the follow up to a system more popular and better selling than the Wii was and look how that turned out. Nothing is set in stone.

Handhelds are a whole different beast, not really a fair comparison. I don't know any handhelds in recent memory that have been sold out on day 1 or have had pre-orders shut down.

Eusis

Handhelds are a whole different beast, not really a fair comparison. I don't know any handhelds in recent memory that have been sold out on day 1 or have had pre-orders shut down.
Yeah, they tend to be slow burners but usually end up with numbers that dwarf consoles, even the PSP did that much. It's also likely part of why it looks so bad relative to mobile, it's simply following its normal trajectory except we have the gross dominance of iOS/Android for contrast.

Just when I believe consumers are getting smarter due to the record sales of the Hand Ferrari, I'm disappointed again.
What's stupid about preordering the Wii U? It looks like it has some strong quality titles in development for it. Consumers prioritize quality software over cutting edge hardware. That has always been the case and while having both would be awesome it doesn't always work that way.

Owzers

DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U?

When will people learn?

And then the system has no games released after 4 years like Wii :(

What's stupid about preordering the Wii U? It looks like it has some strong quality titles in development for it. Consumers prioritize quality software over cutting edge hardware. That has always been the case and while having both would be awesome it doesn't always work that way.

Because the iPhone 5 has both, and the Wii U arguably has neither.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Graphics ceased being a differentiator a long time ago in the world of entertainment devices. Within the micro world that is the gaming industry, there was a long and tired history of devices one upping other devices in the area of graphics, from the NES to the SNES to the Dreamcast / N64 to the Gamecube to the PS3 / Xbox 360.

Graphics did not determine the direction of those generations, software and other uses of technology did. An entertainment device has to demonstrate a compelling reason for one consumer to choose it over the other devices available to them. You can argue whether the Wii U will be next generation in terms of graphics, but you cannot argue whether the Wii U will be next generation in terms of devices. The Wii U is a next generation device, aimed at a multitude of entertainment consumers. The vast majority of those consumers do not differentiate between HD without super textures and lighting, and HD with super textures and lighting.

If you want to pay a premium for systems with the best textures, lighting, and other graphical prowesses, you can. But it isn't often that most consumers of entertainment devices will do that. Consumers of entertainment devices buy the devices they find the most fun and the most useful for their time. Whether the Wii U achieves that status remains to be seen, but it is certainly a next generation device. If entertainment devices were compared only on graphical prowess, PC would command the most development resources of any system.
Didn't I say that the Wii U was a 8th generation device?
The next generation in Nintendos devices, the only thing I said was you wont be hearing people talk about its Nextgen graphics, because they ain't Nextgen, it has nothing Nextgen about it other then perhaps OS and controller?
But what is the first wave of Nextgen games? Current gen games that look current gen?
It's only some people here that has a refusal to accept that
I except the Wii U for what it is, Nintendos long over due HD console, get excited its gonna be good
But no matter how many people are called fanboys, no matter how much people wish MS/Sony's console is gonna be the same as the current ones with more ram, or they drop out altogether
It doesn't and will not change the fact Wii U isn't Nextgen in actual hardware, as Sony's World Wide Studios president said " let them dream"
I'm looking forward to PS3 level graphics Nintendo games, especially Zelda
But I aint gonna lie to myself, sorry
Everything advances forward with each release, my phone, my tv, my PC, My PlayStation, my Xbox etc
Its Only Nintendo that trailing behind at their own pace, developers are screaming for more powerful machines although I think we can have a few more years with current gen consoles
And people in this thread think MS & SONY are gonna keep to the Wii U standard which is current gen?
I can't even laugh at it, this is worse then the GCN era and how crazy Nintendo fans were then
I'm out, I can happily talk about how good the Wii U can be, but I ain't gonna be delusional just so I don't get quoted
I think gaf would 500error if I posted the amount facepalms this thread deserves, its mad

On topic, could be another Wii with PS4 and NeXbox being behind in sales , thats not too far fetched imo

I think Wii U is going to dominate holiday sales. I can't begin to tell you how many mom/dad friends of mine been PMing me on Facebook asking about it.

I think Wii U is going to dominate holiday sales. I can't begin to tell you how many mom/dad friends of mine been PMing me on Facebook asking about it.

It would if they could make enough. But, they can't/won't. So, Microsoft will win the holiday in terms of numbers. WiiU will dominate the headlines with stories about it being sold out.

NeoRausch

Well thats for sure.

it's wii
it has nintendoland
it has mario
It has some cool zombie game
it has the best looking (console) version of call of duty
it isn't too expensive
it has some tablet stuff going
it connects to your tv shit
it uses you old wii stuff

yupp gonna sell like hotcakes.

It would if they could make enough. But, they can't/won't. So, Microsoft will win the holiday in terms of numbers. WiiU will dominate the headlines with stories about it being sold out.

That is very True. I think we will see less hardware sales this year compared to last year for both Sony and MS. I Don't own a 360 and personally I wouldn't get one right now considering that both MS and Sony have new consoles coming. I would think the same of a person that owns a 360 contemplating a PS3.

Top Bottom