• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop found out about Microsoft's pre-owned games policy later than we did

Damn, Microsoft left Gamestop out to dry.

If Sony does not allow this i can see Gamestop pushing the system very hard .

It's probably out of their hands. MS started the ball rolling and now the major publishers aren't going to like a system where they get no cut on game resale vs. one where they do.

boingball

Lol. So much for Gamestop's hype for the new Xbox.
Though on the other hand they can still sell used games.
PLUS the new full priced license keys.
So they increase their business.

ultron87

It really isn't a pre owned fee though. In the scenario Harrison described it is a "buy a second copy fee" that results in both the original owner and new owner being able to use the game. The physical disc is meaningless, which is obviously still an issue for GameStop.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
To be a fly on the wall in his office when he found out.

I dunno. Might be unsafe when he starts tossing easily reachable objects on his desk at the walls.

Damn, Microsoft left Gamestop out to dry.
It's probably out of their hands. MS started the ball rolling and now the major publishers aren't going to like a system where they get no cut on game resale vs. one where they do.

At the end of the day, publishers want their AAA games on the store shelves though. If Sony decides to not implement similar measures in an attempt to make a deal to marginalize the Microsoft presence at Gamestop, the publishers will probably take a back seat and see which console does better.

But most likely, Gamestop will leverage their market position to force a special deal with Xbox One titles, similar to their deal with Warner for Batman: Arkham City.

Kenai

So the real battle for next gen might not be consoles vs each other so much as MS vs GS? That's a twist if I've ever seen one.

ReaperXL7

Sony is poised to have a massive advantage right now, and these reactions could the tipping point for them. If MS does not allow used games, but Sony does I would not be surprised if Gamestops form an exclusive partnership with Sony. They may still sellthe xbox(likely will), but Sony would get more shelf space, more ads, more push in general.

Hopefully people are pushing this info to guys like Yoshida.

Toki767

So the big question is, if taken to the extreme, will publishers support a no used games console that not a lot of people buy or a console that plays used games that they get no profit from that a lot of people buy?

FoneBone

The Major Nelson statement mentioned being able to sell/trade games "at retail"... is MS arrogant enough to just assume Gamestop will go along with whatever structure they come up with?

Espada

Now this is big, if true. I find it hard to believe that Gamestop was kept out of the loop like this and they never suspected Microsoft would go through with it.

I wonder what their reaction will be to a company that wants them to sell a console that ultimately hurts their business.

Gamestop isn't the only place to sell used games. Amazon, Best Buy, Fry's, Wal-Mart (very limited, I understand), etc all do as well. It would give me great pleasure to see some or all of them boycott the Xbox One.

If only we had a camera on the Gamestop CEO as he watched this conference go down.

cena_wtf_gif.gif

If there is a fee to be paid before a used game can be played again, the value of used games will drop massively. No second hand store of any kind will want to purchase a game that is useless, unless a large fee is paid.

Yerolo

So far Microsoft has only talked about generating new licenses on the Xbox One and nothing about transferring of licenses besides that it is possible.

How would your console differentiate between a new copy and one that was sold 2nd hand to you (say 2 days after release) ?

All you're really doing is buying a licence which is activated on your console, regardless if its a new disc or 2nd hand. (the disc being just a quick way of installing the game)

Welcome to Nextgen everyone

ReaperXL7

So the big question is, if taken to the extreme, will publishers support a no used games console that not a lot of people buy or a console that plays used games that they get no profit from that a lot of people buy?

I suspect it would be difficult to explain to investors why your ignoring a larger install base. This is assuming Sony is not enforcing this is Yoshida was somewhat vague on the issue.

neptunes

Sony is poised to have a massive advantage right now, and these reactions could the tipping point for them. If MS does not allow used games, but Sony does I would not be surprised if Gamestops form an exclusive partnership with Sony. They may still sellthe xbox(likely will), but Sony would get more shelf space, more ads, more push in general.

Hopefully people are pushing this info to guys like Yoshida.
It's not up to Sony to decided, they can only account for first party.

If every other 3rd party wants to kill used games, Sony will have no choice but to allow them.

FlyFaster

Not sell the console.

They could kill it.

BAM. this.

every gamestop starts carrying only PS4 and Wii U wtf will MS do then? eat shit is what. So angry at the audacity that MS has with this console. I really hope is fails hard and they lose millions of dollars.

Top Bottom