• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop found out about Microsoft's pre-owned games policy later than we did

BigDug13

No. Then Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Future Shop, etc would get a larger sure of the passed up revenue. It would be suicide for GameStop.

Why? They could spend time educating customers by saying they refuse to stock such an anti-consumer game system. They barely make any profits on the system and new game sales anyway, so what's their loss by refusing to stock it? Walmart makes their money on all the other non-gaming crap you buy while going in to buy the system.

Toki767

All joking aside, I don't see this being any different than the DLC stuff with used games. Gamestop will just end up buying activation codes from Microsoft for cheap and bundle it in with any used game you end up buying.

cena_wtf_gif.gif

ibtuepcOShXCU4.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Do it, Gamestop. Refuse to carry the console. We all want to know what would happen.

Push the button! Push the goddamn button!

ironcreed

Banned
The fee they have confirmed is for buying an entirely new license to the game while the original owner retains the ability to play it. That's different than someone reselling it.

Yes, I am aware of the full price charge per account, even if a buddy borrows the game. I was just going off of Major Nelson's comment stating that gamers will be able to trade in and resell at retail. Very vague wording from these guys today. But it's absolutely horrible any way you slice or dice it.

Moobabe

All joking aside, I don't see this being any different than the DLC stuff with used games. Gamestop will just end up buying activation codes from Microsoft for cheap and bundle it in with any used game you end up buying.

I think you'd be surprised at how "cheap" retailers get those online passes for ;)

Darryl

Banned
It's safe to assume most people don't make big budget purchases like that.

no you just think that retail outlets operate like online stores. it has a completely different type of customer. why on earth would anyone buy a big budget item at all in a local store when it is cheaper online in your world? to get it a day earlier?

I can't see GS totally dropping the XBox, there will still be profits to be made on HW Sales, Accessories, and New games.

They might not position it prominently, but to conpletely drop it? People can still buy PC games there right?

If I remember correctly used games are like 65-70% of their business and new games are like 10% and hardware is like 20% (Someone help me out here).

Anyway used games make them so much more money then anything else that to allow a company to shiv them like this will literally mean their end. This is slitting the throat of their business model. I expect them to fight back, and given that they were not told in advance about this I imagine they will not fight back nicely.

The shareholders have far to much to lose from this. They will exercise every bit of muscle they have to ensure that xbox one is a failure.

Salaadin

Sessler talked to a rep. Activation codes tied to profile, others can then access that profile in the cloud. Full interview will be posted later today.

Moobabe

If I remember correctly used games are like 65-70% of their business and new games are like 10% and hardware is like 20% (Someone help me out here).

Anyway used games make them so much more money then anything else that to allow a company to shiv them like this will literally mean their end. This is slitting the throat of their business model. I expect them to fight back, and given that they were not told in advance about this I imagine they will not fight back nicely.

The shareholders have far to much to lose from this. They will exercise every bit of muscle they have to ensure that xbox one is a failure.

In terms of margin you're about right - maybe a bit less on hardware depending on where we are in the generation. Also accessories isn't to be sniffed at.

nib95

Banned
If they fuck over used game retailers in the way I think they are/have, those retailers should just respond by giving much less emphasis and store coverage to the XOne.

Duxxy3

In the long term what is the better opportunity for gamestop?

Supporting all 3 consoles, but risk supporting one that goes against their philosophy.

Or supporting 2 consoles and trying to prop up one of them to lead the industry. The downside is that they wouldn't get a cut from accessories or other profitable xbox one items.

It's a risk either way.

Wow Microsoft didn't even inform Gamestop? They really screwed Gamestop over... Awful move by Microsoft...

Didn't Gamestop say that majority of their profits come from Newgames though? I don't see them dying this gen.

if they did, they were lying. according to their most recent annual report about 44% of profits come from used software. this compares to 4% for new hardware, 30% from new software, and 22% from "other".

if there is a chance you are misremembering and they said the majority of their sales or revenue are from new products, then that is true.

granted these numbers come from the tail end of a console generation which may change things, but they dont really change much since last year (ended january 2012) anyway. if i werent lazy i could go further back in time.

Moobabe

In the long term what is the better opportunity for gamestop?

Supporting all 3 consoles, but risk supporting one that goes against their philosophy.

Or supporting 2 consoles and trying to prop up one of them to lead the industry. The downside is that they wouldn't get a cut from accessories or other profitable xbox one items.

It's a risk either way.

Do part one - then if shit goes sour, part 2.

Epcott

This is what Major Nelson said in a blog post:

So much conflicting news today. Another thread says MS will be buying back used games instead of retailers. WtF??

And if they do screw over Gamestop, a GS retaliation could hurt them.

I don't know anyone who buys games from online retailers aside from enthusiasts looking for sales and tax free goods.

The average or casual gamers go to Target, Walmart, Best Buy (LOL), K-Mart, Sears (LOLOL), FYE. But out of these retailers (at least in MD/DC) GS is the most widespread. If you go there any given weekend and you'll find parents with children picking out games, average joes stopping by after work or class, and confused grand mothers buying goods for their grand kids. Come holiday season, GS is usually packed.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
can someone call the gamestop ceo, give him the lowdown, and record a live reaction?

it would be hitler subtitle video material.

The thing is Microsoft supports trade ins and resells, but now they want to get money out of it. This hurts GameStop indirectly since people won't WANT to buy used

Moobabe

The thing is Microsoft supports trade ins and resells, but now they want to get money out of it. This hurts GameStop indirectly since people won't WANT to buy used

I'm wondering if this is just a move from MS to try and eliminate the used market altogether.

Microsoft has specifically stated that there is a way to sell your games at retail. So there must be a way. And it is a different scenario than what Phil Harrison was talking about in reference to the fee.

Do you have a quote for this? The only thing I can refers to "trade your previously-played games online", which would indicate cuts out retail

In regards to your rebuttal over the issue of an activation fee: I understand your reasoning that Harrison was referring to merely purchasing a second copy of the game, although the language used was still vague. However this seems to confirm our suspicion:

sUhuxio.png

neptunes

Making measly profits vs. making zero profits.

ReaperXL7

This really is the perfect time for the press to push Sony on the issue and get some clear answers. I suspect we are going to be waiting for E3 for such talk though, Sony can take allot of consumer goodwill here and use it to their advantage because even if Sony leaves it up to the publisher(their offical stance right now) it would still leave a more open second hand situation in place for the PS4 and they can just lay blame for the rest on EA,Activision, Etc.

The next two weeks is going to be a long wait.

In terms of margin you're about right - maybe a bit less on hardware depending on where we are in the generation. Also accessories isn't to be sniffed at.

I'm not disagreeing, but every single machine they put in the marketplace will be one more machine they cannot collect used games dollars on. For someone like Best Buy or Wall-Mart, where the % of sales skews more towards hardware I expect them to carry it.

It's risky for them to fight it, and they will lose money for sure not selling it or it's accessories, but if they do sell it they will be digging their own grave.

I think they are smart enough to fight for their survival.

Making measly profits vs. making zero profits.

That's not the case, if they fight back they might kill the xbox one and survive another 10 years. If they don't fight back they will be just another retailer that sells games, and big box retailers will muscle them out. Without their used games business they cannot survive.

ascii42

I just thought of something crazy: what is it does support used games... If they are resold by select partners? Imagine that MS can allow select partners to remotely deauthorize discs by paying a fee, maybe using a specialized unit. This way GS could resell the game and MS would get a cut.

This would explain the need to connect online every 24 hours: to support remote deauthorization.

That does make sense.

This really is the perfect time for the press to push Sony on the issue and get some clear answers. I suspect we are going to be waiting for E3 for such talk though, Sony can take allot of consumer goodwill here and use it to their advantage because even if Sony leaves it up to the publisher(their offical stance right now) it would still leave a more open second hand situation in place for the PS4 and they can just lay blame for the rest on EA,Activision, Etc.

The next two weeks is going to be a long wait.

Your right this is a perfect time for the press to dig for "positive" information that would also be helpful to the consumer and potentially Sony themselves.

You'd think Sony would be glad to say they are taking the consumer friendly route

Whatever ends up being the final word, Microsoft has done a horrific job of getting a single unified message out on the new console. This day has been a PR disaster for them.

Moobabe

I'm not disagreeing, but every single machine they put in the marketplace will be one more machine they cannot collect used games dollars on. For someone like Best Buy or Wall-Mart, where the % of sales skews more towards hardware I expect them to carry it.

It's risky for them to fight it, and they will lose money for sure not selling it or it's accessories, but if they do sell it they will be digging their own grave.

I think they are smart enough to fight for their survival.

True - but what you might see (what I expect to see if all of this is true) is staff members pushing alternate devices to people.

I know GAF sniffs at retail - but it sells a LOT of machines to people. A lot of these people come in and WILL ask "which console should I buy?"

It will be an easy question to answer for Game/Gamestop etc employees.

neptunes

That's not the case, if they fight back they might kill the xbox one and survive another 10 years.
That can't happen, they're only delaying the death of their most prominent revenue stream.

If it's not this gen it'll be next, any respect market research firm should have told them this is the direction the industry is heading in.
You'd think Sony would be glad to say they are taking the consumer friendly route]
I think they're just playing it safe

If they were really pro-consumer they would make it a System mandate that no publisher is allowed to block used game sales.

Sessler talked to a rep. Activation codes tied to profile, others can then access that profile in the cloud. Full interview will be posted later today.

Which is good news for bringing over your game to a buddy's house, but still screws over GameStop.

It's obvious MS wants you to do any used game selling through them, not GameStop.

Kunan

Wow I'm really surprised they didn't know. Crazy.

Gamestop hardly has that kind of clout.

People will just go to Walmart.
http://www.newser.com/story/167278/mcdonalds-is-most-visited-business-in-america.html
12.8% for GameStop vs 38.8% for Walmart. GameStop absolutely has the clout to seriously hamper sales, in the US at least.

Kill it? No. Cause problems? Yes.

GS' bottom line will be hit hard by the lack of used games, way harder than selling new games will make up for. It's in their best interest for MS to drop the feature.

Rezae

Not only Gamestop, think about Gamefly! No more renting that 6 to 10 hour adventure! Better pony up!

Do developers honestly think this kind of practice will help their software sales? A game better be incredibly long or have awesome multiplayer.

Top Bottom