• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
PSA for anyone in the Bay Area : Don’t trade or buy at Emeryville GameStop. The manager Luong there is super anal and clearly won’t let certain games be bought or traded. Apparently DMs in the area are aware of flipping so no idea what other stores are doing this but steer clear of that one.
Every store in the bay I went to was clueless. Felt like I was the only one up to this lol.

Nameless

Gamestop is closed right now, if I send a hold request its effective for tomorrow, correct?

I'd assume so. Hopefully the values hold. The closest GameStop to me has Mario Maker DS, Mario/Sonic Rio, and Pokemon Sun. I totally over looked the DS/Wii stuff earlier. In the unlikely event that they don't drop the hammer on this tomorrow, I'm trying to get at least two good 9-12 game transactions in.

GAF will be watching the Gamespot.com like the NASDAQ tomorrow.

Refurbished phones are all 25% off right now, bringing a 256gb iPhone 7 to $599.

also the b2g1 also works on them. possible mistake.
Nah not a mistake. When in store today the employees kept telling people it's buy to get one free on ANYTHING pre owned. The floor guy was trying to see if a kid and his friends wanted three PS4s for the price of 2

Does the offer continue to be of up to 70%? I'm taking a look at the website but it says only of up to 60%, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Tried this for the first time today. Was able to turn my initial 200 investment from that Best Buy thread into 560. Not bad. Too about four hours total. All try again tomorrow. Already made a list of which store has has 3DD games.

Oh, and make sure to chekc inside the game cases for the console ones and make sure the envelop is gone. That was slightly embarrassing but I don't think the guy who helped me cared.

Permanently A

I'd assume so. Hopefully the values hold. The closest GameStop to me has Mario Maker DS, Mario/Sonic Rio, and Pokemon Sun. I totally over looked the DS/Wii stuff earlier. In the unlikely event that they don't drop the hammer on this tomorrow, I'm trying to get at least two good 9-12 game transactions in.

GAF will be watching the Gamespot.com like the NASDAQ tomorrow.

Forreal lol

oh dear lord, a store by me just got multiple used copies of Tekken 7. Must fight the temptation

The funniest part of this deal by far is that there's no product being cleared out or scalped - most of the games bought are just ending up in other stores, so you have a pretty solid chance of being able to execute this deal as long as you prepare carefully.

Any other games to look out for besides these?

KUKthCJ.png

LY4H8B8.png

Best WiiU

OOKngro.png

Best Switch

OcCNGtR.png

Zen Aku

Is it possible to trade in and hit that $2k limit but somehow only have $1400 worth?

I wish I didn't throw away most of my receipt. Cause I guess somehow I traded in more than $2k but only gave $1400 worth of credit on 2 separate cards right now.

Oh, I don't think I'm a Pro Member. So 60% for me I guess.

Get pro at your first six game trade in when you start things off. The trade credit bump of 10% will make the pro free, and the pro will discount purchases and increase trades at all subsequent stores.

Is it possible to trade in and hit that $2k limit but somehow only have $1400 worth?

I wish I didn't throw away most of my receipt. Cause I guess somehow I traded in more than $2k but only gave $1400 worth of credit on 2 separate cards right now.

Quite possible yes. Lets say you buy six games for $180. You trade them in for $340. Now you have $160 on your gift card but $340 in total progress toward the 2k trade in limit. So now you huy six games again, leaving $160 on your card. You trade those in for $340. Your card now has $500 but you have traded in $680 in value. If you dont use the higher trade in value games, I could see hitting the $2000 trade in mark with only $1400 on the card. If you stuck to the higher stuff like the switch games, I would expect closer to $1700-1800 on the card(s) when you hit the $2k trade in limit, theoretically.

Nelo Ice

Banned
some of the phones also trade in for more than they cost.

this is such a shitshow lmao
So what you're saying is we all need to go back next week and start flipping phones too lol. This is absolutely hilarious. Were all recycling GS merchandise to nearby stores and making a massive profit.

There are a few people I still want to thank for their help, and I will when I make my full post after I am done with everything, but I had one main question at the moment.

Is there a consensus on the best way to turn your trade-in credit into cash while either maintaining most of or increasing its value? Is it really buying used iPhones/iPads and selling them elsewhere afterward? I'll need to make a decision by the 4th and am trying to figure this out. It seems like that would be the way to make more cash than what you have as trade-in credit (since your third iPhone/iPad would be free under the B2G1 deal), right? Are the alternatives, which result in either a 1:1 transfer or getting less, involve either getting a Visa/Amazon gift card somehow or buying something like a bunch of $50 Steam cards and then selling them to people on NeoGAF for like $40 each?

Thank you.

I haven't seen anyone successfully turn the credit (PUR or gift card) into Amazon credit yet.

Seems like consensus is to flip iphones/ipads with B2G1 to transfer the credit out of Gamestop, unless someone knows a way to get it into Amazon credit.

Zen Aku

Quite possible yes. Lets say you buy six games for $180. You trade them in for $340. Now you have $160 on your gift card but $340 in total progress toward the 2k trade in limit. So now you huy six games again, leaving $160 on your card. You trade those in for $340. Your card now has $500 but you have traded in $680 in value. If you dont use the higher trade in value games, I could see hitting the $2000 trade in mark with only $1400 on the card. If you stuck to the higher stuff like the switch games, I would expect closer to $1700-1800 on the card(s) when you hit the $2k trade in limit, theoretically.

Thanks for the exploitation. Yeah I don't think I maximized it. I went for some lower games like Prey, the PGA Tour, Overwatch. Not the most maximizing games but its what I could find at the time. I'm pretty happy with $1400 regardless. Only wanted to make $300 to get a Switch at the start of all this. lol

Good luck to the rest of y'all though. Just remember that some states doesn't charge tax on purchases make it store credit. So you can make a big purchase at gamestop and not have to worry about tax. Florida is one of those states.

Thanks for the exploitation. Yeah I don't think I maximized it. I went for some lower games like Prey, the PGA Tour, Overwatch. Not the most maximizing games but its what I could find at the time. I'm pretty happy with $1400 regardless. Only wanted to make $300 to get a Switch at the start of all this. lol

Good luck to the rest of y'all though. Just remember that some states doesn't charge tax on purchases make it store credit. So you can make a big purchase at gamestop and not have to worry about tax. Florida is one of those states.

I was lazy so several of my $300 trades were only a net gain of $100. But it just depends on how they calculate how much trade in youve done. If it is only calculated on the base trade in value then you shouldnt max out too fast. If it includes the 70% bonus value, then I probably should have already maxed out at 2k even though mt gift cards sre only at $1100.

I haven't seen anyone successfully turn the credit (PUR or gift card) into Amazon credit yet.

Seems like consensus is to flip iphones/ipads with B2G1 to transfer the credit out of Gamestop, unless someone knows a way to get it into Amazon credit.

Trade cards are designed to stop the purchase of several types of prepaid cards. If you move the money over to a giftcard it should work from my understanding. Sadly employee's are trained to think of this as a hostile threat to their store because you are taking the money away from the store. It's stupid, but the more they try to turn the employee's against us the more I don't want to give them any business. The hostility and personal offense some of these employee's give off is not acceptable.

Time to start doing some surveys.

Zen Aku

I was lazy so several of my $300 trades were only a net gain of $100. But it just depends on how they calculate how much trade in youve done. If it is only calculated on the base trade in value then you shouldnt max out too fast. If it includes the 70% bonus value, then I probably should have already maxed out at 2k even though mt gift cards sre only at $1100.

They're probably not counting the 70%. Cause I did about 7 trades. and each of those was at least $300-400 per trade in. So I could see how I hit the $2000 wall so fast despite only making $1400. Damn this is like an RPG, you can maximize your profit (character's stats) if you plan carefully with a little luck lol

Had quite a few flippers come in today lol. It was hilarious to see multiple copies of pvzgw2 and shadow of mordor and me saying something along the lines of "so you got em at best buy huh?" The looks of horror and shock I got from the customers when they realized I knew exactly what they were doing was too funny. Especially when they came in acting like they owned the games, or the classic I got these as gifts lines. Of course I was just teasing most of them, was never going to deny any trades(I'm not seeing any issues with it as there's no policy being broken, so more power to yall) but it was still funny nonetheless.

Also you know,putting a little thought into this whole thing, doesn't gamestop kind of come out on top here? You guys are buying product at other retailers at new(low) price, then flipping it at gamestop, WHICH, provides gamestop with stock of now pre owned games(where gamestop maximizes their profit) and you the customer who spent actual us currency on the product now leave the store with gamestop credit, which requires you to spend your money at gamestop. Meaning you have to come back, to potentially spend more then you got initially. So is "gamestop" really gonna be that mad here? This applies to the folks not buying and reselling gamestop product, I guess that's a bit different.

Zen Aku

Also you know,putting a little thought into this whole thing, doesn't gamestop kind of come out on top here? You guys are buying product at other retailers at new(low) price, then flipping it at gamestop, WHICH, provides gamestop with stock of now pre owned games(where gamestop maximizes their profit) and you the customer who spent actual us currency on the product now leave the store with gamestop credit, which requires you to spend your money at gamestop. Meaning you have to come back, to potentially spend more then you got initially. So is "gamestop" really gonna be that mad here? This applies to the folks not buying and reselling gamestop product, I guess that's a bit different.

I think I spent only about $45 out of my own pockets on games at BB to trade in. That's like 3 games. The rest of the profit came from the B2G1 free promotion. So if more people did it that way, I dont think GameStop will come out on top. Cause all we did was shifted inventory
around the area while gaining profit for ourselves

Had quite a few flippers come in today lol. It was hilarious to see multiple copies of pvzgw2 and shadow of mordor and me saying something along the lines of "so you got em at best buy huh?" The looks of horror and shock I got from the customers when they realized I knew exactly what they were doing was too funny. Especially when they came in acting like they owned the games, or the classic I got these as gifts lines. Of course I was just teasing most of them, was never going to deny any trades(I'm not seeing any issues with it as there's no policy being broken, so more power to yall) but it was still funny nonetheless.

They might be coming on top. On top of copies of Shadow Of Mordor and Garden Warfare. :D

I can't imagine the GS headquarters are pleased with what's going on. Granted its probably a drop in the bucket. But sure someone at corporate is gonna take a lesson from all this!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Good post man! So tell us, can GameStop look at a customer's buying/selling history at the time of purchase and notice that they're buying/reselling the same games?

Guys, sorry if I ask a lot of questions but this is the last one.

This promotion is only for trade credit, right? Doesn't apply to cash, right?

Thanks

Also you know,putting a little thought into this whole thing, doesn't gamestop kind of come out on top here? You guys are buying product at other retailers at new(low) price, then flipping it at gamestop, WHICH, provides gamestop with stock of now pre owned games.

It's gotta be by design especially the EA games. It's an accounting game for sure when it comes to Gamestop saying they have X of one of those publishers games that they didn't move NEW that they lost money on and now have X used copies because contract date has expired. Especially for those games that are on Gamepass or EA access. It's all fuzzy accounting so Gamestop can get a credit from the publishers that maximizes their sustainability and losses. I don't think they could without a huge dent carry all of the games they do if it weren't for such tricks. So having high values on those games comes off as highly suspicious to me.

I think I spent only about $45 out of my own pockets on games at BB to trade in. That's like 3 games. The rest of the profit came from the B2G1 free promotion. So if more people did it that way, I dont think GameStop will come out on top. Cause all we did was shifted inventory
around the area while gaining profit for ourselves

His point is that we still have to spend it at Gamestop regardless and that creates foot traffic.. Foot traffic is valuable since more often than not, most people really do buy more than what they usually planned, even if the initial plan was to just check things out. Plus Gamestop get to pitch you more stuff. For example, I actually pre-ordered Mario Odyssey even though I had no plans of ever pre-ordering that one yet.

Plus that individual store still counts it as a sale and a trade-in so it's gotta pad the accounting part as well.

Good post man! So tell us, can GameStop look at a customer's buying/selling history at the time of purchase and notice that they're buying/reselling the same games?

Yup, we at the associate level can even see that lol. We can see you 5 most recent purchases if we really want to.

For what it's worth we got a bolo(be on the look out) email about people buying and reselling Pokemon games at the same store. It wasn't a corporate email, it was at the region level, and the email was funny cause it basically said "we don't know why these people just turned around and traded these games but please keep an eye out, it also had the transaction log of the customer and all that, but again even in that case the trade wasn't denied, cause again no policy is being broken, but if you wanna avoid an email being sent out about you, don't buy and sell at the same store.

Yup, we at the associate level can even see that lol. We can see you 5 most recent purchases if we really want to.

For what it's worth we got a bolo(be on the look out) email about people buying and reselling Pokemon games at the same store. It wasn't a corporate email, it was at the region level, and the email was funny cause it basically said "we don't know why these people just turned around and traded these games but please keep an eye out, it also had the transaction log of the customer and all that, but again even in that case the trade wasn't denied, cause again no policy is being broken, but if you wanna avoid an email being sent out about you, don't buy and sell at the same store.

Do you guys get emails about scalpers too?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What Adam Prime said.

But the great thing is that you can also use your GS Credit on Amazon.

I was told today by an employee that you can transfer your Trade-In Credit > GameStop Credit

Then go another store: GameStop Credit > VISA/Amazon

You just can't do that all in the same transaction/same store because the policy is not to allow Trade-In Credit for Visa/Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom