• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Breath of the Wild FPS Performance Patch Comparison

I did not know there was
the Master Sword or at least its podium in the Korok Forest
even after seeing the trailer.

So, I consider that spoiled for me now.
It's amazing how casual people are with this particular spoiler.. That was a B I G ? for me, but now it's s p o i l e d ;'[
All of the Koroks they showed in the forest didn't tip you off?
Many people avoid trailers for games they're 100% going to play, especially knowing how revealing trailers can be.

KHlover

Banned
It's amazing how casual people are with this particular spoiler.. That was a B I G ? for me, but now it's s p o i l e d ;'[

Many people avoid trailers for games they're 100% going to play, especially knowing how revealing trailers can be.
Those people should avoid any and all threads with the name of the game in the title then.

marmoka

Banned
Don't know what you guys think, but honestly, I think that the Switch version is a bad BotW port. All those framerate drops, low resolutions, bad textures,... Meanwhile, MK8 Deluxe will be 1080p and 60fps, vs 720p on Wii U. Mario Kart shows the technical differences between both console, while BotW doesn't.

Both Wii U and Switch version are almost equal, when there's a power difference between both consoles.

I hope Nintendo improves BotW even more, and the game takes all the advantages of the hardware's power. It would be great to see the Switch version running at 60fps and better textures by summer, and 1080p docked by the end of the year. That would be asking too much, but they could try to improve it as much as they could.

But be sure, that Nintendo will someday remaster the game to Full HD or 4K, with textures improved, and better framerate. For Switch 2 perhaps (with PS5 and Xbox 2 coexisting). When that day arrives, this game will look magical! Considering how well the game looks with graphic-packs in Cemu, imagine natively.

I need a Switch, I need to play this game now!

Kadin

It's always easier to just be safe and tell people there could be potential spoilers but instead it's just a constant defense game to state it's perfectly fine. I watched it linked from a prior site and I did indeed see stuff I'd not seen before.

Cerium

I contacted a moderator who said they too are tired of arguing about spoiler shit so I have clarified the warning further and let's end it at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdGpEPy-K4

Okay so there are things talked about in here which also appeared quite prominently in the trailer. And some graphical effects you may not be familiar with? Honestly I think it's perfectly safe but if you're the type of person who is really sensitive about spoiler culture then you should probably avoid any footage of this game at all.

He comes out and says the location of where to find certain objects. Definitely spoiler territory.

Then stay out of topics about this game. Seriously. I stayed off GAF for almost a week while playing Zelda, just for the odd chance to see any spoilers.

Heck I stayed off any image sharing sites as well. GAF spoiled A Link between Worlds ending twist for me during a Smash Bros speculation thread.

Mokujin

Nice to see improvements but I hadnt really a problem with slowdowns or blurry IQ so far. Im 30hrs in.

At least on Switch the framerate issues are waaaaaay overblown by some people as they are really isolated at some specific places and situations somethig quite far from a common issue while playing, and this is talking about docked version, undocked leaves those issues as something almost anecdotal.

I'm about 70 hours in and haven't had that goblin freeze issue, what triggers it?

Kudo

At least on Switch the framerate issues are waaaaaay overblown by some people as they are really isolated at some specific places and situations somethig quite far from a common issue while playing, and this is talking about docked version, undocked leaves those issues as something almost anecdotal.

I'm about 70 hours in and haven't had that goblin freeze issue, what triggers it?

Moblin ragdoll + weather effects seem to be culprit, if you find a camp of 3+ Moblins at Death Mountain, knocking them around might freeze the game for a second, also I once experienced it when one of them died and his loot went on fire.

Zedark

Any chance Digital Foundry does a video on this?

I'd say it's likely, but they are at EGX atm, so it'll be likely be several days from now still.

Yes, it's not completely stable 30fps but biggest problem areas are lot more smoother. No FPS count in the video so we'll have to wait DF for that.
You can do the frame rate analysis yourself by using the "." key on your keyboard, which moves the video forward one frame, if you really want to know. Youtube video runs at 30 fps so, doing this 30 times and counting the number of unique frames the game produces will give you your frames per second.

RAWRferal

Does DF really have zero competitors in producing frame-rate tests? Is it that hard to do? Surely an opportunity for someone.

They use a proprietary program known as FPS GUI to perform analysis, developed in-house I believe.

They have a video on their channel explaining this, interesting stuff.

Kudo

Does DF really have zero competitors in producing frame-rate tests? Is it that hard to do? Surely an opportunity for someone.

VG Tech uploads frame-rate tests too but I have no clue about the people and methods behind it, it's much smaller channel than DF for sure but they've provided some tests really fast.

You can do the frame rate analysis yourself by using the "." key on your keyboard, which moves the video forward one frame, if you really want to know. Youtube video runs at 30 fps so, doing this 30 times and counting the number of unique frames the game produces will give you your frames per second.

I'll leave that to people with the proper tools, I'd be done counting those frames next week when the videos are already out, but that's interesting to know.

Zedark

VG Tech uploads frame-rate tests too but I have no clue about the people and methods behind it, it's much smaller channel than DF for sure but they've provided some tests really fast.

I'll leave that to people with the proper tools, I'd be done counting those frames next week when the videos are already out, but that's interesting to know.

Yeah, never do it for a whole minutes long video in that way! I did it twice for two different areas (Great Plateau and (location SPOILERS!)
Korok Forest
, four counts in total), and I found the Great Plateau was stable 30 fps and the other location was 2 and 4 frames respectivelyimproved over the pre-patch frame rate. Don't take this as gospel (after all, it's just four points), but it does show something has been improved.

NXGamer

I hope DF do a proper indeep analysis
equivalent exchange,man
Something need to be sacrificed for something to be gained.
I am working on a full analysis of the switch version today, will be up later today/tomorrow morning.

NXGamer

No, I have been doing in-depth tests on my channel and site for the past few years, I am looking at Zelda on switch for this weekend, will update in here once I have it on-line.

I also coveted the splatoon test at the weekend on Saturday morning, I try to he as fast as possible but I work full time, this is a side project for me.

I am working on a full analysis of the switch version today, will be up later today/tomorrow morning.

Please try to check if there are any graphical differences with the patch besides framerate, like shadows, LOD/draw distance/pop-in, texture resolution/filtering, etc.

I'm personally more interested if any of those changes occur in handheld mode.

kitsuneyo

No, I have been doing in-depth tests on my channel and site for the past few years, I am looking at Zelda on switch for this weekend, will update in here once I have it on-line.

I also coveted the splatoon test at the weekend on Saturday morning, I try to he as fast as possible but I work full time, this is a side project for me.

What's your site? nxgamer.com?

There's not really that big of an audience for that type of content, I'd imagine, to justify the purchase or installation of the needed equipment.

Ah, forgot about NXGamer, but yeah, there aren't many.

Yarbskoo

I did not know there was
the Master Sword or at least its podium in the Korok Forest
even after seeing the trailer.

So, I consider that spoiled for me now.

EDIT:

I did not know it was
the Korok Forest
in the trailer.

But...

K07hFLn.png

FkU28e5.png

Effect

That's nice, but it was literally shown in the trailer. GAF policy on what does and does not constitute a spoiler are very clear in this area.

There is generally no context for what you see in the trailer. GameXplain though has a bad habit of spoiling lots of things with no warning right down to the damn thumbnail for their videos. I hate that so much. Knowing locations is one thing. What's in certain locations (when some areas might look similar at a glance) and what they lead to in a game about exploring is spoiling. So I think in this case warnings are and were warranted.

Soul Lab

There is generally no context for what you see in the trailer. GameXplain though has a bad habit of spoiling lots of things with no warning right down to the damn thumbnail for their videos. I hate that so much. Knowing locations is one thing. What's in certain locations (when some areas might look similar at a glance) and what they lead to in a game about exploring is spoiling. So I think in this case warnings are and were warranted.
What context do you need? In the trailer you see the Master Sword and in the background the Deku Tree

The_Lump

Banned
Guys I didn't know the sword in the pedestal in this Zelda game was the Master Sword and that the forest it was in (with all the koroks in it) was the Korok Forest. Spoiled!

C'mon. It's only a spoiler if you haven't watched the trailer. And if you were concerned enough about spoilers to not watch the trailer, then you probably shouldn't be watching performance analysis videos as they always show a variety of locations/scenarios from the actual game.

The_Lump

Banned
Well for one thing you can see and hear it talking in the trailer.

Also, it's surrounded by Koroks, just like the one in Wind Waker.

Don't even pretend that's a Wind Waker spoiler.

Wait the Deku tree is in Wind Waker?! Dude, spoilers.

Yarbskoo

Guys I didn't know the sword in the pedestal in this Zelda game was the Master Sword and that the forest it was in (with all the koroks in it) was the Korok Forest. Spoiled!

C'mon. It's only a spoiler if you haven't watched the trailer. And if you were concerned enough about spoilers to not watch the trailer, then you probably shouldn't be watching performance analysis videos as they always show a variety of locations/scenarios from the actual game.

bHSf4Cl.png

Yeah, that could be literally any sword.

The_Lump

Banned
How do you know that's the Deku Tree?

If you know enough about Zelda that a mention of it's name is a spoiler to you, then you know enough about Zelda to know that a giant tree with eyebrows and a mouth is probably the Deku Tree.

bHSf4Cl.png

Yeah, that could be literally any sword.

Yup. I mean what with all the other swords you pull out of stones in mystical settings in Zelda games over the years. I mean how are we even sure it's a sword from the trailer? Could be a hatstand.

I mean, I knew what was in there before I played the game because I watched the trailer.

Any thread you make ought to just include a disclaimer for spoilers by default so we can have a discussion about the topic rather than folks going on about potential spoilers for ten pages because they saw a location or character from initial trailer. It's honestly the best way to handle it.

That aside, it looks much better. Was very happy to feel the changes when playing last night. I hope they can perfect it soon.

LOL at the disclaimer in the OP. Some people, man.

Ive always understood to a degree, but it's getting ridiculously obnoxious lately. Best to just include a disclaimer warning on any zelda thread to get it out of the way.

Aeana

At some point, you guys need to take some personal responsibility if you're this sensitive to spoilers. You should not expect to watch videos of this game and not possibly see something in them you haven't seen in the game. Stop blaming everyone else because you personally decided to click on something and watch it.

Mihos

Gold Member
If you know enough about Zelda that a mention of it's name is a spoiler to you, then you know enough about Zelda to know that a giant tree with eyebrows and a mouth is probably the Deku Tree.

Yup. I mean what with all the other swords you pull out of stones in mystical settings in Zelda games over the years. I mean how are we even sure it's a sword from the trailer? Could be a hatstand.

To be fair, in the first like 5 minutes of the game, you come across a regular old rusted sword that is stuck in a rock just like that

At some point, you guys need to take some personal responsibility if you're this sensitive to spoilers. You should not expect to watch videos of this game and not possibly see something in them you haven't seen in the game. Stop blaming everyone else because you personally decided to click on something and watch it.

Best advice right here.

Top Bottom