• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Breath of the Wild FPS Performance Patch Comparison

At some point, you guys need to take some personal responsibility if you're this sensitive to spoilers. You should not expect to watch videos of this game and not possibly see something in them you haven't seen in the game. Stop blaming everyone else because you personally decided to click on something and watch it.

I propose a compromise: GAF feature that adds the text "spoiler warning" to every new thread.

The_Lump

Banned
To be fair, in the first like 5 minutes of the game, you come across a regular old rusted sword that is stuck in a rock just like that

Haha I knew that would be a reply ;) Let's be honest though, the chances of a regular old rusty sword being the one ceremoniously revealed in the trailer are pretty slim. And the chances that anyone who knows what the Master Sword is or represents in a Zelda game - to the extent that identifying it by name is a spoiler - had seen that part of the trailer and thought "that's probably just some sword" are zero.

OT - Contains Spoilers: Cool that they seem to have fixed the framerate in places. I only noticed it when playing in docked mode in the
Korok Non-descript, just happens to be full of Koroks little flying forest dudes
Forest and when trashing a group of
Moblins Non-descript medium sized regularly occurring Zelda bad guys

hemo memo

Gold Member
At some point, you guys need to take some personal responsibility if you're this sensitive to spoilers. You should not expect to watch videos of this game and not possibly see something in them you haven't seen in the game. Stop blaming everyone else because you personally decided to click on something and watch it.

I don't know what's next. spoiler tag game titles? The Legend of Zelda:
Breath of the Wild

MtZ9N.gif

Lmaoooo

Can't wait to replay this game fully patched 5 years from now.

The game has been out for like a month now. If you literally cant handle spoilers of any kind stay out of Zelda threads. Some people are fucking ridiculous. The world does not revolve around you not having location names and trailer moments spoiled. Go away.

buttdiver

The DF video will be far more interesting than this. It doesn't really mean all that much without numbers or analysis of graphical compromises.

Yes. It's getting to a point where I've advocated bans for spoiler whining as it basically falls under the category of thread whining. I mean, I get it. Some people are clearly trying to be dicks. Certain things are clearly spoilers from people that just want to see other people be miserable. But debates about borderline or just flat out dubious claims around what is and isn't a spoiler are completely derailing way too many conversations these days. Something's gotta give, and I refuse to believe that the solution is giving into spoilerphobia.

Yeah. People who are dedicated to only receiving info about games over the course of the game need to stop being surprised when game-related content contains info about video games.

forums are about distributing info and discussing things. There's a difference between revealing plot twists and discussing info that wasn't even intended to be a surprise, or that recurring elements of a series are in fact still here. Or a scene from a trailer? something whose purpose is to be widely distributed and attract attention? tons of threads on gaf are just people consuming marketing the first place.

i understand wanting to participate in communal hype before something's out or while playing it, but at some point we need to ingest some content to inspire hype in the first place..

Haunted

The DF video will be far more interesting than this. It doesn't really mean all that much without numbers or analysis of graphical compromises.
Especially under comparable conditions in terms of time of day, weather etc. Gamexplain - bless their little amateur/fan hearts - just went ahead and ran through a couple areas while recording.

We need some scientific method up in this to draw meaningful conclusions (though on first viewing, the initial impression is that it looks promising).

edit: re: spoilers - I maintain that thread titles should remain safe and spoiler-free, even of (seemingly) innocent information. Once you're in threads specific to the game or you're even watching videos of it, all bets are off and you're on your own.

Yes. It's getting to a point where I've advocated bans for spoiler whining as it basically falls under the category of thread whining. I mean, I get it. Some people are clearly trying to be dicks. Certain things are clearly spoilers from people that just want to see other people be miserable. But debates about borderline or just flat out dubious claims around what is and isn't a spoiler are completely derailing way too many conversations these days. Something's gotta give, and I refuse to believe that the solution is giving into spoilerphobia.
Based mods. Hopefully we get a more in depth video. I am holding off on beating Zelda until the performance is improved in docked mode.

Kyzer

Banned
That's nice, but it was literally shown in the trailer. GAF policy on what does and does not constitute a spoiler are very clear in this area.

How do you know where that location was in the game from the trailer ? I dont even care, for the record, this is a borderline thanos situation

The solution doesn't have to be black or white, continue judging each one on a case by case basis. Not an easy job...neither giving in to spoilerphobia nor the direct opposite are the correct answer. Each time its different. There are some who take it way too far and others who might have a more grey complaint or "spoiler whine".

I would like to see a comparison of undocked performance. It already performed better than undocked and it seems to be a further improvement IMO. Still a ways from perfect, but a definite improvement from what I remember. Still an analysis would be nice to confirm I'm not mixing up docked and undocked memories lol.

The solution doesn't have to be black or white, continue judging each one on a case by case basis. Not an easy job...neither giving in to spoilerphobia nor the direct opposite are the correct answer. Each time its different. There are some who take it way too far and others who might have a more grey complaint or "spoiler whine".

Right. Again, I get that some things are just clearly over the line in terms of expectations about what one would or wouldn't consider a spoiler. But when it comes to gray area complaints, I honestly think this would be better handled by PMing a mod to assess rather than derail the thread with debate #2135295035 where we delve into the all-important question of "what is a spoiler really?" Further, the insistence on pointing out spoilers at every turn is often counterproductive as it has the potential to call more attention to something someone else might have otherwise considered an innocuous revelation.

Zedark

I agree that saying "no more complaints whatsoever about spoilers" isn't the best way, but that's not what he's talking about I think. In this thread there are people who actually go into a thread containing footage of the game while they consider even the contents of a trailer and the presence of Zelda franchise staples to be spoilers. You can craft a rule that weighs down on those people's complaints without banning the complaints about someone partially revealing the ending of the next big story-based video game.

Instro

Please do, the preview thread for this game was unbearable because of people freaking out about preview information being a spoiler.

nubbe

Either go on a media blackout or be prepared to get spoiled.
I didn't look at twitter, youtube or facebook until I was done with the game, because in the age of the Internets, people will want to share their shit.

There are prominent areas in games in general that are of great interest for performance review since they possess complexity that is taxing on hardware.

It is up to you to determine how to act to not get spoiled. It's no one else responsibility.

Kudo

Right. Again, I get that some things are just clearly over the line in terms of expectations about what one would or wouldn't consider a spoiler. But when it comes to gray area complaints, I honestly think this would be better handled by PMing a mod to assess rather than derail the thread with debate #2135295035 where we delve into the all-important question of "what is a spoiler really?" Further, the insistence on pointing out spoilers at every turn is often counterproductive as it has the potential to call more attention to something someone else might have otherwise considered an innocuous revelation.

I sent an PM for apologizing about derailing his thread so badly to Cerium earlier today.
This is actually pretty interesting talk, I mean I avoid all the threads until I'm done with a game and I know I'm weird with my spoilerphobia, I thought location of the Master Sword would have been a major spoiler to some people, I know thousands of people probably haven't even seen the trailers and some even are new to whole Zelda franchise, that's why I made my comment about spoilers, but this is a gaming forum so I assume people are expected to be more knowledgeable about the games they're reading about?
You're right I probably made "a mountain out of a molehill" when I made my warning post, so I'll refrain from doing them in future as I'm not the one you should really ask what is spoiler about, cause even minor ones are those to me.
I'll have to apologize to mods too derailing this thread so badly that it required intervention.

AdanVC

Damn, it really gets too spoilery 30 seconds into the video so I'm out. But glad to read that this patch truly improves framerate performance.

I sent an PM for apologizing about derailing his thread so badly to Cerium earlier today.
This is actually pretty interesting talk, I mean I avoid all the threads until I'm done with a game and I know I'm weird with my spoilerphobia, I thought location of the Master Sword would have been a major spoiler to some people, I know thousands of people probably haven't even seen the trailers and some even are new to whole Zelda franchise, that's why I made my comment about spoilers, but this is a gaming forum so I assume people are expected to be more knowledgeable about the games they're reading about?
You're right I probably made "a mountain out of a molehill" when I made my warning post, so I'll refrain from doing them in future as I'm not the one you should really ask what is spoiler about, cause even minor ones are those to me.
I'll have to apologize to mods too derailing this thread so badly that it required intervention.

Don't worry about it too much right now. Again, we're just kind of spitballing here. But really, arguments about what does and doesn't constitute a spoiler have just become way too prevalent over the years. It's becoming a real impediment to conversations.

Spoiler talk is the worst talk.

Piracy whining in emulation threads is so much worse.

Look, I don't want to be spoiled. This is why I don't go into threads discussing content. But In a thread discussing performance I expect spoilers to be kept to a minimum and I don't think that's unreasonable. The whole point of me not having played the game yet is I'm waiting for the best version to be available with minimal framerate drops. I just want to see some numbers so I know it's time to hop in.

I have to question whether you were able to even play the game if the delta was this wide.

Unless you're playing on Wii U and it's just broken there.

Huh? I'm playing on Switch. The Woods was pretty terrible before, now it's slightly less so. But I never found it to the that detrimental either way

OryoN

I have to question whether you were able to even play the game if the delta was this wide.

Unless you're playing on Wii U and it's just broken there.

I'm playing on the Wii U version (I couldn't hold out any longer, as I planned to get the Switch around the release of Splatoon 2), and while there are several areas I have yet to explore, I've at least been to one of the worst "offenders" as far as the framerate outcry goes - Kakariko Village!

I also held my breath when the village name displayed across the screen. "Ok, here goes!" I anxiously ventured in via the main gates(it did stutter a little there) only to be greeted by... a fairly stable framerate, once inside! The village indeed is full of the details, so that was unexpected.

It wasn't long after that where I started seeing the dropped frames. As you panned the camera around, or run while a lot of scenery is in view, it definitely stutters, clearly. It ranges from minor, to noticeably choppy. It can be frequent (depending on the angles you choose and exact location), but it does not persist for long periods at a time. Perhaps 2-3 secs long in my estimation.

All in all, my impression of the game's performance issues so far was; "That's it? Really?" The way some people on this forum described, you'd think this thing was totally unplayable at times, or breaks the overall experience. In the grand scheme of things, and what the entire game does, it's really a minor issue. There are times when the game displays pure eye candy, with gratuitous effects all over - things that you'd expect on more powerful consoles in AAA titles only - yet, the game runs flawlessly. On a freaking Wii U! Admittedly, playing from the gamepad - which is my go-to mode of play - while not as sharp/vibrant, does help hide aliasing and other minor blemishes.

[One developer's theory was that the frame drops are cause by LOD issues, where the game is trying to resolve both near and far LOD instances during certain zoom levels. It was suggested that going in for a close-up of Link in the grass(with any amount of background detail!), you'd expect the framerate to tank because LOD it at the highest, but it doesn't even hitch! But zooming out to a cerrain level, you can run into issues. I tested this consistently. It's pretty strange]

Top Bottom