• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

As seen in this breakdown, the problem with the left joycon was that the antenna is positioned in the middle of the device which allows your hands to block the signals. This problem doesn't exist for the right joycon because it's positioned at the top of the device.

It's more of a hardware design issue than a software issue I think.
Yea, I fuckin knew it. Seen this movie before with Apple phones a few years back where the position of the internal antennae was affecting signal strength. This is why I said there was a 99% chance that it was a hardware design issue. They may be able to amp up the power to improve consistency, but only a revision will give players the expected battery life and performance, consistently.

Fredrik

Tried mine just now.

Some info:

EU Switch
included neon controllers
day 1 system update

Tested about 6 meters (20 feet) away from the console

No drop outs on either left or right joycon.
Not when facing the console
Not when facing the console and covering the joycons with my hands
Not when holding the joycons behind my back
Not when holding the joycons behind my back and covering them with my hands

I can try with an Apple Watch on tomorrow since there is talk about that making the issue worse.

Edit: I had an iPhone 7 in my pocket and a bunch of other wifi gear at the TV bench, 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 5ghz on Switch. Router 10 meters away.

Update 2017-03-04
I just managed to replicate the desync problem!

I've had zero issues up until now.

BUT

When moving the Switch 2 meters from my router, undocked, wearing my Apple Watch, standing about 3 meters from the console I can finally see what people are talking about here. Moving the stick in a circle at the calibration screen with these conditions makes the dot start to hop around the circle, I even got it to halt completely.

When taking off the Apple Watch and placing my phone a few meters away the dot started moving smoothly again as far away as I could go (about 5 meters).

So, yeah, even my joycons that previously appeared to work perfectly show this problem. So it may actually have to do with wifi/bluetooth interfearence after all. Bummer.

HunteronX

Banned
As seen in this breakdown, the problem with the left joycon was that the antenna is positioned in the middle of the device which allows your hands to block the signals. This problem doesn't exist for the right joycon because it's positioned at the top of the device.

It's more of a hardware design issue than a software issue I think.

EDIT: Ignore, mixed up left and right.

Fredrik

i'm laughing so hard right now.

They want me to not use my switch near my smart tv because the tv can connect to the internet on wifi just fine ? That's it ?
no phone ?

WHAT'S THE POINT ? NINTENDO !

if that's the final answer then it's a piece of shit tech
It's bullshit. Check my test above and what I said in the Nintendo response thread. I'm ticking a whole bunch of those boxes they list can make the issue worse.

To me it sounds like they're putting the blame on the consumer instead of fixing a hardware problem in some consoles/joycons.

Why else would some have problems at a few feet and I'm standing 20 feet away as far as I can go in a corner of the room with all kinds of wifi devices etc nearby and have zero issues?

Update 2017-03-04
I just managed to replicate the desync problem!

I've had zero issues up until now.

BUT

When moving the Switch 2 meters from my router, undocked, wearing my Apple Watch, standing about 3 meters from the console I can finally see what people are talking about here. Moving the stick in a circle at the calibration screen with these conditions makes the dot start to hop around the circle, I even got it to halt completely.

When taking off the Apple Watch and placing my phone a few meters away the dot started moving smoothly again as far away as I could go (about 5 meters).

So, yeah, even my joycons that previously appeared to work perfectly show this problem. So it may actually have to do with wifi/bluetooth interfearence after all. Bummer.

Top Bottom