• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman responds to Anti-Semitic charges from the Anti-Defamation League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't understand how people assume this was written by PR. It's such a blatant and obvious 'screw you'. He had to have written this himself. It's so condescending and backhanded.

He's a horribly bigoted jackass, he's sticking to his guns, and I highly doubt you will ever see an actual apology come from him.

Nope, he made a near-tearful apology on Kimmel. Oldman is that rarest of creatures, a mild, almost excusable bigot who makes terrible apologies that make it all so much worse. He's like the Todd Margaret of sorry.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Any public apology by a media figure is a forced apology though, it's how the game is played. He said something daft, apologises, they need to accept it. The only thing that not accepting it achieves is keeping the story in the media for a bit longer.

Personally I think it's a shame that Oldman is a new race pariah, I don't think he deserves it. He said some things in poor judgement, probably generalised a bit too much. He had an unpopular opinion, all this internet dogpiling seems a bit much.

They need to accept it? No they don't. Nobody has any requirement to accept an apology, particularly when it was clear that the person wasn't actually apologizing.

Hy7CqOQ.jpg

I feel like any apology that focuses around the party being potentially offended, instead of your direct actions, is not an apology.

"Sorry you were offended when I called you a dipshit."

Vs.

"Sorry I called you a dipshit."

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't understand how people assume this was written by PR. It's such a blatant and obvious 'screw you'. He had to have written this himself. It's so condescending and backhanded.

He's a horribly bigoted jackass, he's sticking to his guns, and I highly doubt you will ever see an actual apology come from him.

What would an apology mean though if this is what he really believes in. This is something he's obviously put a lot of thought into and believes; the apology you're looking for would be a phony plead to not persecute him.

Kadayi

Banned
The problem is that such a statement is inherently prejudiced. Hollywood isn't run by Jews, Hollywood is run by people, many of whom happen to be Jewish. What Oldman is implying by his statement is that being Jewish is what defines these people, and therefore they are inherently different then him and other "normal" people.

I don't recall him getting into differentials in anyway. Also somewhat amused by the double speak. One has to hazard that he's basing his observations on his time in Hollywood and on what he has personally witnessed himself over the years.

WriterGK

Leave Gary Oldman alone ADL! He did nothing wrong. I have to read the whole interview but reading this whole story on Deadline, seems to me he is innocent.

Who knows what's really going on. I read one of the articles about Jewish history with Hollywood, read his original interview, sounds like the guy was apologising for a friend of his that has a bad side to him. Lots of stuff I don't really understand the context of and blah blah, Gary Oldman is an acceptable actor who is usually in bad movies I don't care about anyway, so what do I know. I learned some morsel of where this 'jews run hollywood' thing comes from at least. At the same time, we're talking about multimillionaires who build the media so who knows who they really are or what they want, probably just money. The apology is funny, it sounds like a trolling apology post, yep. But who knows what's really going on with any of this or things like this. Nobody really knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom