• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

Rocket Punch said:
The solution is as elegant as it is simple: have your children only watch Episodes 1-3 and skip the rest.

Yeah, kids are stupid. They don't know what they'll be missing out on.

richiek said:
The "I am your father" reveal I feel is overrated. There's no context to it and comes out of left field.

Watching the SW saga 1-6 adds more weight and drama to Luke's quest, knowing the events that transpired in the past. When we see Luke stopping his Jedi training to save Han and Leia in ESB, someone watching the prequels first knows the same thing happened to his father, seeing visions of his loved ones in pain and rushing headlong into danger to save them, with dire consequences. They've seen this before and now fear the same thing will happen to Luke.

Yeah it just feels like this epic journey, that by the time you get to Jedi, you are happy, and you feel like you were part of a huge story.

richiek said:
By watching the OT first, you're spoiled by the fact that the kindly old Chancellor Palpatine is an evil Sith Lord and was able to corrupt the savior of the galaxy to the dark side and conquer the galaxy. It works both ways.
I don't think that's much of a reveal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kr2XP0RCtI
http://youtu.be/onsXNiut4oE?t=2h7m6s
Watching the prequels I was never quite sure if the audience was meant to be aware that Palpatine was Sidious and Episode I was my first Star Wars film.

richiek said:
The "I am your father" reveal I feel is overrated. There's no context to it and comes out of left field.

Watching the SW saga 1-6 adds more weight and drama to Luke's quest, knowing the events that transpired in the past. When we see Luke stopping his Jedi training to save Han and Leia in ESB, someone watching the prequels first knows the same thing happened to his father, seeing visions of his loved ones in pain and rushing headlong into danger to save them, with dire consequences. They've seen this before and now fear the same thing will happen to Luke.
It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Erigu

BattleMonkey said:
Prequels are called "prequels" because they are meant to be watched/read after the original material.
No, they're called "prequels" because they're made after but take place before, that's all.

Sneds

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What gets me about EP1-3 is the technology compared to EP4-6. Everything looks much better in the worlds in the prequels than the sequels. =\

Yeah absolutely. I don't think Lucas was willing to let continuity limit the 'cool' things he wanted to put in the films.

Mr. Sam

Everything might look sleeker, but the design is worse, there's no charm and the plasticine CGI will age worse than the original trilogy's physical effects.

Salmonax

Watching them in chronological order makes no sense for a number of reasons. The prequels assume all sorts of foreknowledge about the Star Wars universe, never bothering to explain stuff like the Force, lightsabers, and the Jedi.

If you watch them in order, you have to sit through a whole bunch of unnecessary exposition by the time you get to the fourth movie. All the reveals and twists in the OT are blown (meaning the way several sequences are shot and edited no longer makes sense), and the small amount of effective dramatic irony in the prequels is lost. The prequels feature a din of action and visual information courtesy of modern CG that suddenly and inexplicably get pulled back and never return in the remaining sequels.

I know Lucas says they're just different movies viewed that way, but every one of the movies (prequels included, but especially the originals), is diminished by that order. On subsequent viewings this matters much less, but as an initial viewing 1-6 is simply the wrong way to go.

Gui_PT

I cannot understand how some people can defend anything in episodes 1-3

Seriously, nothing good has come out of those movies.
The characters were butchered, the Empire was butchered, the Jedis were butchered, the War was butchered, the Force was butchered(midiclorians? really?)

Those movies should be banned. Don't defend them, please.

Even if they were good, watching the movies 1 through 6 would completely ruin the flow. They were not made to be watched like that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Erigu said:
No, they're called "prequels" because they're made after but take place before, that's all.
This is true. But I'd argue that almost no one has mastered the art of writing a prequel later that doesn't spoil the earlier material, or is somehow compelling having not seen the original material. Least of all Star Wars.

The storyline of the prequels is not compelling if you have never seen the OT, and it spoils plot points of the OT, in a way that doesn't happen if you watch them in order of creation. I mean, the story of the rise of the Empire and Anakin is not compelling at all on its own. It really only justifies 8 hours of film if you know the world of the OT beforehand. No one would ever have told that story by itself (as opposed to the OT which was told by itself).

Mr. Sam

Gui_PT said:
The characters were butchered, the Empire was butchered, the Jedis were butchered, the War was butchered, the Force was butchered(midiclorians? really?)
The original Clone Wars cartoon is actually spectacularly good; meaning it's easily the best thing you can drag out of the prequels shitheap.

Mr. Sam said:
The original Clone Wars cartoon is actually spectacularly good; meaning it's easily the best thing you can drag out of the prequels shitheap.

The fact that they had three entire movies and none of them showed any of the Clone Wars is downright criminal. They talked about it since the OT, we all wanted to see it, and it took place in a cartoon between two of the movies. He should have combined I and II into one film (we didn't need two hours of Jake Lloyd) and made Ep II the Clone Wars.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Mr. Sam said:

Riiight, with Mace Windu single-handedly taking on hundreds of battle droids with his bare hands? That's some cheesy Burly Brawl crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A07WNupEXk

The CG Clone Wars cartoon is way better.

I do agree that we don't see enough of the Clone Wars or Anakin's heroics and his relationship with Obi-Wan in the PT. This is most likely why Lucas himself is taking a more hands on creative role in the CG series.

Sneds

Gui_PT said:
Those movies should be banned.

:)

There were a few cool concepts in the PT.

Podracing is a cool idea but it shouldn't have been so central in the TPM. I think Darth Maul could have been a cool new villain too if he had any character development at all. Obi-Wan was quite a likeable character.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head though, which says a lot.

BocoDragon

richiek said:
Riiight, with Mace Windu single-handedly taking on hundreds of battle droids with his bare hands? That's some cheesy Burly Brawl crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A07WNupEXk

The CG Clone Wars cartoon is way better.
What? That was probably the coolest thing to ever come out of Star Wars!

It also seemed like a more thorough investigation of what a trained monk could accomplish with the use of the Force. In the movies they're portrayed as doughy swashbucklers with a bunch of arbitrary magic wizard powers. I think the implication of Force powers could accomplish much more if the Jedi's trained like Shaolin monks. :p Clone Wars at least explored that in an appropriate medium.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Gui_PT said:

Even if they were good, watching the movies 1 through 6 would completely ruin the flow. They were not made to be watched like that.

Give me a break.

IMDB Ratings:

Ep 1 - 6.4 - Most people gave it a 7, next highest score 6
Ep 2 - 6.8 - Most people gave it a 7, next highest score 8
Ep 3 - 7.8 - Most people gave it a 10, next highest score 8

Fucking opinions, how do they work?

Sneds

ultron87 said:
They had some nice lightsaber fights.

I honestly don't think that they did. I know that a lot of people really like the fight in TPM but it looks too obviously choreographed to me. I really didn't like any of the other battles at all. Obi-Wan vs Anakin had some cool moments but I would prefer Lucas focus on the drama of two friends fighting for their lives rather than completely over the top action sequences.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
BocoDragon said:
What? That was probably the coolest thing to ever come out of Star Wars!

It also seemed like a more thorough investigation of what a trained monk could accomplish with the use of the Force. In the movies they're portrayed as doughy swashbucklers with a bunch of arbitrary magic wizard powers. I think the implication of Force powers could accomplish much more if the Jedi's trained like Shaolin monks. :p Clone Wars at least explored that in an appropriate medium.

I dunno. To me, it made the Jedi way too overpowered. Screw the clones, a few Jedi could've ended the war pretty quickly.

It's the same reason why I hate the Force Unleashed games.

Sneds said:
:)

There were a few cool concepts in the PT.

Podracing is a cool idea but it shouldn't have been so central in the TPM. I think Darth Maul could have been a cool new villain too if he had any character development at all. Obi-Wan was quite a likeable character.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head though, which says a lot.

Regarding Darth Maul:

I think it was a mistake to show the double bladed Lightsaber in the Ep I trailer. That should have been completely kept secret. If you had never seen it and didn't know about it, that scene would have been an "oh, shiiiiit" moment in the theater when that second blade came out of the hilt.

Gui_PT

StudioTan said:
Give me a break.

IMDB Ratings:

Well in this case, my opinion is right.

richiek said:
I dunno. To me, it made the Jedi way too overpowered. Screw the clones, a few Jedi could've ended the war pretty quickly.

It's the same reason why I hate the Force Unleashed games.

Did you watch the prequels? Droids go down in a flash.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Neuromancer said:
Hey if Lucas stopped fucking it all up, we wouldn't have to make lists!

I'd never seen it before, or if I did it was a long time ago. Chillax, my brother.

It's been posted at least 4–5 times in this very thread.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Gui_PT said:
Well in this case, my opinion is right.
My comment was in your statement that the movies should be banned and nothing good ever said about them.

Sneds

Nappuccino said:
Did you watch the prequels? Droids go down in a flash.

That's not really a good thing though. It destroys any possible tension in the scenes when the Jedi fight battle droids because, as an audience, we never feel that the heroes are in danger.

Edit: This is something that Red Letter Media comment on in their prequel review videos.

Nizz

megashock5 said:
Regarding Darth Maul:

I think it was a mistake to show the double bladed Lightsaber in the Ep I trailer. That should have been completely kept secret. If you had never seen it and didn't know about it, that scene would have been an "oh, shiiiiit" moment in the theater when that second blade came out of the hilt.
Yeah, that would have been great. But I guess they had to market those toys...

BocoDragon

richiek said:
You should watch prequels again. The Jedi never took out as many droids as Mace did in the cartoon.

One of the points of the prequels was the droids are fodder for Jedi... it took Clones to take them down.

But sure, what Mace does in the cartoon is far beyond what we see on film.

On the other hand.... I'd say the films are less realistic in the opposite direction. Mace's performance in Episode III was significantly less skillful than any real swordsman or martial artist.... almost as if the movies had been directed by a fat nerdy guy :p

richiek said:
You should watch prequels again. The Jedi never took out as many droids as Mace did in the cartoon.

We never saw the Clone Wars in a live action form- but if the prequels are anything to go on, they don't have a problem taking out a lot of them.

And no, this is not a good thing. The lack of tension is one of the worst things about the prequels.

Erigu

BocoDragon said:
This is true. But I'd argue that almost no one has mastered the art of writing a prequel later that doesn't spoil the earlier material, or is somehow compelling having not seen the original material. Least of all Star Wars.
Yeah, which order makes more sense narratively/dramatically speaking is another issue...

megashock5 said:
Regarding Darth Maul:

I personally think that they should never have killed him off in the first film. Keep him around as the Sith Apprentice until Vader has to take him out to claim his spot. Let him escape after killing Macd Windu and have him be the foil for Obi Wan and Anakin in the next two films.

Darth Maul had a lot of charisma and was intriguing for what little we knew of him. He could have been a much better bad guy than Sidious was, and far more ruthless, yet less powerful, than Vader.

Gui_PT said:

Its hard for me to agree with you. For all the garbage and let down 1-3 was, it did have a few great moments, and Ewan was amazing in his performance.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I personally think that they should never have killed him off in the first film. Keep him around as the Sith Apprentice until Vader has to take him out to claim his spot.

I've thought this for a long time.

Count Dooku was just stupid.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I personally think that they should never have killed him off in the first film. Keep him around as the Sith Apprentice until Vader has to take him out to claim his spot. Let him escape after killing Macd Windu and have him be the foil for Obi Wan and Anakin in the next two films.

Darth Maul had a lot of charisma and was intriguing for what little we knew of him. He could have been a much better bad guy than Sidious was, and far more ruthless, yet less powerful, than Vader.

I agree and felt he could have been the antagonist for all three prequals.

Liquidsnake said:
Its hard for me to agree with you. For all the garbage and let down 1-3 was, it did have a few great moments, and Ewan was amazing in his performance.
Ewan was great, and also Ben Burtt's sound design and John Williams' score were awesome in all three prequels.

The Lamonster said:
Ewan was great, and also Ben Burtt's sound design and John Williams' score were awesome in all three prequels.

Really think about it, Ewan had to take over a role that was legitimized by Alec G. He took that role and did so much with it, that by the time you get to a new hope, you feel like you know Obi-wan so much more. In my mind the two meld into one. Its hard to explain it, but watching 1-3 was worth it just to get to know the history of the Obi-wan character.

Let my Amazon preorder go through, after looking at the list of changes linked earlier in thread, I really don't think the "jarring" changes in this release to be offputting enough to not enjoy the jump in visual and sound quality.

What's going to piss me off are the 3D releases though. I'm going to end up double dipping on Toy Story 3 in November, but in my defense I don't own TS1/2 on Blu-ray yet.

jaxword

Anyone ever notice what happens if you reverse the syllables of Ewok?

EE-WOK

WOK-EE

Maybe the Ewoks should have been baby Wookies after all

NekoFever

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What gets me about EP1-3 is the technology compared to EP4-6. Everything looks much better in the worlds in the prequels than the sequels. =\
I just figure that they've been at war for 25 years or so by that point. The Rebels are understandably low-tech, and most of the moons/planets we see (Tattooine, Yavin, Hoth, Endor, etc) aren't exactly the centres of galactic civilisation. And most of the Imperial architecture on things like the Death Stars and Star Destroyers isn't too far removed from stuff in the PT.

Liquidsnake said:
Really think about it, Ewan had to take over a role that was legitimized by Alec G. He took that role and did so much with it, that by the time you get to a new hope, you feel like you know Obi-wan so much more. In my mind the two meld into one. Its hard to explain it, but watching 1-3 was worth it just to get to know the history of the Obi-wan character.

Ewan was great. In fact, so many characters were tainted after going through the prequel trilogy, Obi-Wan has since been my most respected character.

And talk about a thankless job. "Here, go live on this craphole desert planet and watch over this kid - the son of that brat you didn't want to mentor in the first place but promised Qui-Gon you would."

And as far as that goes, who thought it was a good idea to hide on of Vader's kids where he grew up, to be raised by people he'd met?

3rdman

StudioTan said:
Give me a break.

IMDB Ratings:

Hahahahahaha

NekoFever said:
I just figure that they've been at war for 25 years or so by that point. The Rebels are understandably low-tech, and most of the moons/planets we see (Tattooine, Yavin, Hoth, Endor, etc) aren't exactly the centres of galactic civilisation. And most of the Imperial architecture on things like the Death Stars and Star Destroyers isn't too far removed from stuff in the PT.

I always thought about it the same way. Like the PT was the height on this universe, and the OT was at its low point.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
electroshockwave said:
Also finding out who Yoda is, and the mystery of the force and Obi-Wan when they're introduced, finding out Luke and Leia are siblings. There's probably more I can't think of right now but saying that they're meant to be watched 1-6 is just fucking stupid.

Nope. It all still has dramatic flow and tension, it's just not the same dramatic flow and tension as when we watched the OT as kids. The only reason to champion the Vader father reveal is because you liked it when you were a kid. Kids who watch the series in story order are concerned that Luke will kill his own dad without knowing, or wondering if Vader knows who Luke is and if Luke will find out who Vader is. There's a different dramatic tension there due to the audience knowing something the hero does not, which is a valid story device.

Story information from the prequels does not ruin the originals, it changes the storytelling device. One is not more valid than the other. Had the prequels been better films, story order might have actually resulted in a more interesting flow, in fact. Yet another lost opportunity and waste of potential for the prequel trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom