• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
MattKeil said:
The only reason to champion the Vader father reveal is because you liked it when you were a kid.

Bullshit. Originally the viewer was just as shocked as Luke. You know, the protagonist, who you're supposed to identify with.

Mr. Sam

Choppasmith said:
Actually Genndy made him a total badass. I was REALLY looking forward to Episode 3 because of Clone Wars and we got a pussywhipped version that was SO disappointing.

Of all the Star Wars debates, the one I stand by is that Genndy's 2D Clone Wars >>>> Lucas' 3D Clone Wars.
Indeed. In fact, in the last episode of the season, Mace Windu force cripples Grievous to explain why he's so shit in the film.

MattKeil said:
Kids who watch the series in story order are concerned that Luke will kill his own dad without knowing, or wondering if Vader knows who Luke is and if Luke will find out who Vader is. There's a different dramatic tension there due to the audience knowing something the hero does not, which is a valid story device.
They're also concerned that Luke and Leia kissed each other in both SW and ESB and that the two might go even further if someone doesn't tell them. Amazing?

Mr. Sam

JetBlackPanda said:
As the hour approaches I find myself wanting to order these.. Is anyone out there just buying the OT set?

Like I've said, I had the thing in my hands today and just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

Mr. Sam said:
Like I've said, I had the thing in my hands today and just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I get that I really do, but when it comes down to it, I fucking want to watch STAR WARS on blu ray you know?

ARGH!

special edition edit of my post:NNNNOOOoooooooooooo!

Darklord

Banned
Choppasmith said:
Of all the Star Wars debates, the one I stand by is that Genndy's 2D Clone Wars >>>> Lucas' 3D Clone Wars.

The last half of season 3 was a lot better for Lucas' Clone Wars. It even repaired some of the midichlorian damage.

McNum

I read an interesting idea for a good order to watch all six films in, but I can't remember who proposed it. It's 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6.

You start off with Luke joining the Rebels, and learning the basics of the Force and Jedi. Then the Vader bombshell hits and we end Empire on the cliffhanger. 1-3 then becomes a flashback showing how Anakin became Vader and then we wrap it up with Jedi and Vader's redemption. Plus you get a Death Star attack in the very start and very end of the story like this.

I'm most likely getting this set as a birthday present, but that's the order I'll try, to see if it works as well as I think it will.

FyreWulff

Professor Beef said:
Go back and purchase it, and let the hate flow through you.

Alternately, wait until Black Friday deals and it being like 10$.

Because you know that set is going to be under a lot of trees this year :lol

mrkgoo

McNum said:
I read an interesting idea for a good order to watch all six films in, but I can't remember who proposed it. It's 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6.

You start off with Luke joining the Rebels, and learning the basics of the Force and Jedi. Then the Vader bombshell hits and we end Empire on the cliffhanger. 1-3 then becomes a flashback showing how Anakin became Vader and then we wrap it up with Jedi and Vader's redemption. Plus you get a Death Star attack in the very start and very end of the story like this.

I'm most likely getting this set as a birthday present, but that's the order I'll try, to see if it works as well as I think it will.

Huh.

Interesting. The idea has merit.

I think a lot of tension was created between the release of empire and ROTJ, especially since the empire had 'won' that one - what is going to happen? To Luke, to Han?

I guess is way, though, you lose the bombshell that leia is luke's sister. Or maybe you don't. The reveal that he has a twin is probably better in epiii than 6 anyway, as it was totally lame in ROTJ.

Also, the jabba reveal is ruined by ANH, so why not flashback to his time too? I'm liking this order more and more.

Will I break my wife, who has never seen the entire series, if I test this order with her?

Sneds

McNum said:

Good point. If you watch the special editions and then the PT (4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3) you wouldn't recognise Naboo at the end of ROTJ or the Hayden force ghost.

Pachimari

Wow, I had five copies of the Star Wars Complete Edition Blu-ray in my hands today, that made me think about a purchase lol. But I'll wait and put it on my wish list for Xmas,

I would like to wait until Christmas too, but the price is so good right now. I am still kicking myself for not getting LOTR extended edition blu rays when they came out.

mrkgoo

The Lamonster said:
"I know...I've always known!"

lol wat

The reveal for Luke came earlier in the movie and was equally lame.

"yoda spoke of another"
"your sister"
"I have no sister"
"we hid her, lol"
"it's leia, the only female lead in this movie besides threepio!"
"dammit!"

McNum

mrkgoo said:
Huh.

Interesting. The idea has merit.

I think a lot of tension was created between the release of empire and ROTJ, especially since the empire had 'won' that one - what is going to happen? To Luke, to Han?

I guess is way, though, you lose the bombshell that leia is luke's sister. Or maybe you don't. The reveal that he has a twin is probably better in epiii than 6 anyway, as it was totally lame in ROTJ.

Also, the jabba reveal is ruined by ANH, so why not flashback to his time too? I'm liking this order more and more.

Will I break my wife, who has never seen the entire series, if I test this order with her?
You do lose the Luke/Leia twin thing to Episode 3, yes, but Yoda gets to say "No, there is another." in Empire, which you then have to wait three movies for a resolution to and Episode 3 did it better, anyway. You even get a lot of build up to the Emperor instead of him basically being there. First appearance in Empire as wrinkly man, a nagging feeling through the prequels that Palpatine looks familiar, and his disfigurement in Episode 3. Plus, you get why Yoda warns Luke about the power of the Emperor very well when you've just seen Yoda get knocked around by him.

I'd love to hear what happens if you show someone who hasn't seen any of the films them in this order. I think it will work.

I'm going to have to wait a couple of months to watch the Blu-Rays, though. I just found out that there was an awesome sale on the Complete box in a local store and prodded my family that now was a good time to look at birthday presents.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah if i have kids they are watching it 4-6 first, so many reveals and mysteries in the OT are ruined if you see 1-3 first.

yeah, doing this with my kids now - up to episode 2, and its working well. They're joining dots, they're surprised by how sprightly Yoda is as they were introduced to him in Empire, noticing how the clone trooper ships and uniforms are foreshadowing the OT etc.

MattKeil said:
Nope. It all still has dramatic flow and tension, it's just not the same dramatic flow and tension as when we watched the OT as kids. The only reason to champion the Vader father reveal is because you liked it when you were a kid. Kids who watch the series in story order are concerned that Luke will kill his own dad without knowing, or wondering if Vader knows who Luke is and if Luke will find out who Vader is. There's a different dramatic tension there due to the audience knowing something the hero does not, which is a valid story device.

Story information from the prequels does not ruin the originals, it changes the storytelling device. One is not more valid than the other. Had the prequels been better films, story order might have actually resulted in a more interesting flow, in fact. Yet another lost opportunity and waste of potential for the prequel trilogy.
The prequels really require one to have some familiarity with the universe in order to really get anything out of them. There is a lot implied in those movies that were explained originally in the first film (A New Hope). To put it bluntly, A New Hope does a really good job of explaining the Universe while Phantom Menace does not. I'm not a prequel hater by any means but to tell someone who has never seen any of the films to watch them in Episode order is just wrong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BocoDragon said:
This is true. But I'd argue that almost no one has mastered the art of writing a prequel later that doesn't spoil the earlier material, or is somehow compelling having not seen the original material. Least of all Star Wars.

The storyline of the prequels is not compelling if you have never seen the OT, and it spoils plot points of the OT, in a way that doesn't happen if you watch them in order of creation. I mean, the story of the rise of the Empire and Anakin is not compelling at all on its own. It really only justifies 8 hours of film if you know the world of the OT beforehand. No one would ever have told that story by itself (as opposed to the OT which was told by itself).

and surely a prequel is made after the original, which means its written with an assumption that most of the audience has seen the original

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:
and surely a prequel is made after the original, which means its written with an assumption that most of the audience has seen the original

I never really heard the term 'prequel' until the star wars episodes came out, and thus I always considered it to be defined as 'a story written after, but set before'. I have, however, seen people use it to refer to any movie set before another (ie. Episode iv is the prequel of episode v), which I think is wrong.

Pie Lord

Darklord said:
The last half of season 3 was a lot better for Lucas' Clone Wars. It even repaired some of the midichlorian damage.
Interesting thing about the midichlorian concept. Apparently, they've been around since 1977, when Lucas dictated the EU guidelines.

BFIB

Darklord said:

In the words of Darth Vader: How is that possible?

I have never seen the Clone Wars show, but can you provide what repairs some of the damage?

Salmonax

mattp said:
having the harmy editions makes not buying the blu-ray set so easy
So true. I feel like I've just made a deal that'll keep the Empire out of my life forever.

They're "only" 720p, but I'll take that without all the SE junk all day long. They're a testament to how good the actual movies looked in the first place.

The problem with 2D clone wars is that Genny's art style is atrocious to the point where CG is actually an improvement.
Darklord said:
I only seen a couple of episodes of Lucas' Clone Wars and the movie (mostly because I don't have Cartoon Network), but from what I saw I thought it was better than the prequels. They actually managed to make Anakin a likable character (this might be due to the presence of an added character though), which was very foreign to me.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
KittenMaster said:
The problem with 2D clone wars is that Genny's art style is atrocious to the point where CG is actually an improvement.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Darklord

Banned
nemss said:
In the words of Darth Vader: How is that possible?

I have never seen the Clone Wars show, but can you provide what repairs some of the damage?

In a 3 part episode they go right back to the mythical style. Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka get brought to a planet/reality/nexus thing created by the force. It's has 2 beings that are Dark and Light side in physical form and their "father" that keeps them in check. Anakin is meant to take his place(as he is the chosen one) but refuses. Before he doesn't take over the Dark side being kills light side and Anakin joins the Dark side out of fear, for a moment anyway, and in the end all 3 beings die and the Force world collapses. It's heavily based on spiritual and mysticism like it did before rather than any biological nonsense. Anakin brought balance to the world by ending all force ability, which happened again in the movies.

I'm not that great at explaining it but it's a really good 3 part arc.

Morn

Banned
Darklord said:
In a 3 part episode they go right back to the mythical style. Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka get brought to a planet/reality/nexus thing created by the force. It's has 2 beings that are Dark and Light side in physical form and their "father" that keeps them in check. Anakin is meant to take his place(as he is the chosen one) but refuses. Before he doesn't take over the Dark side being kills light side and Anakin joins the Dark side out of fear, for a moment anyway, and in the end all 3 beings die and the Force world collapses. It's heavily based on spiritual and mysticism like it did before rather than any biological nonsense.

I'm not that great at explaining it but it's a really good 3 part arc.

And Liam Neeson was in the episode.

NekoFever

mrkgoo said:
I never really heard the term 'prequel' until the star wars episodes came out, and thus I always considered it to be defined as 'a story written after, but set before'. I have, however, seen people use it to refer to any movie set before another (ie. Episode iv is the prequel of episode v), which I think is wrong.
Yeah, an earlier film in the series isn't a prequel; it's very specifically a newer movie (or game, or book, etc) that's set before its predecessors. If not you end up with nonsensical situations where, say, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom are each other's prequels.

Morn

Banned
NekoFever said:
Yeah, an earlier film in the series isn't a prequel; it's very specifically a newer movie (or game, or book, etc) that's set before its predecessors. If not you end up with nonsensical situations where, say, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom are each other's prequels.

Temple of Doom IS a prequel to Raiders. Raiders is set in 1936 while Temple of Doom is set in 1935.

NekoFever

Morn said:
Temple of Doom IS a prequel to Raiders. Raiders is set in 1936 while Temple of Doom is set in 1935.
I didn't say it wasn't. I was using it to show that to use the word 'prequel' to mean an instalment that was made earlier is wrong (e.g. A New Hope relative to Empire Strikes Back or Raiders relative to Temple).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Morn said:

yes, its set earlier, but the movie is made to be watched later. In Raiders there is lots of character introduction, in Temple of Doom Indy just gets on with it. In Temple of Doom there is a scene where Indy is confronted by a massive thugee, and reaches for his gun, but it isn't there. A clear reference to the scene in Raiders where he shoots the sword spinning guy. But such a reference wouldn't make sense if you'd watched it before Raiders.

Prequels are Sequels as a movie (ie. after the original movie) but set previous to the original movie in the 'movie universe' timeline.

There is like 90min of SW spoofs in the special features lol.

From all sorts of things, Simpsons, Family Guy and How I Met Your Mother are mentioned in the booklet.

bengraven

Late on Grievious, but I have to say I liked him in Ep 3. I always liked the "sick samurai" stereotype and Grievous fit that bill. The coughing was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom