• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election is now the most expensive House race in history

Remember this guys? That obscure special election in Georgia which started so unceremoniously as the first post-Trump election of a Representative. The runoff election is June 20th, and both parties have gone all-in to try and set the narrative for the Congressional elections of the Trump era, including the upcoming 2018 midterm elections.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/06/georgia-special-election-spending-record-238054

It’s official: Georgia’s special election will be the most expensive House race in U.S. history.

Candidates and outside groups have aired or reserved more than $29.7 million worth of TV ads in the race to replace HHS Secretary Tom Price in Congress, which will break a five-year-old record for House spending — highlighting the outsized importance a sliver of the Atlanta suburbs has taken on in national politics.

“Everybody has shoved their chips into the middle of the table, and neither side can afford to lose,” said former GOP Rep. Tom Davis, who chaired the NRCC from 1998 to 2002 and said the record-breaking spending has elevated the race into a “real test of narrative” for both parties.

“Republicans can’t afford to lose this because it changes the narrative and it makes it easier for Democrats to recruit candidates and fundraise,” Davis said. “If Democrats lose, then it punctures their narrative of a coming anti-Trump wave.”

“It’s entirely possible that by the time the books are closed on this race, there will be over $40 million spent in the special and in the runoff,” said Chip Lake, a Republican strategist who works in Georgia. “I’m at a loss for words.”

That staggering total reflects the special election’s unprecedented national profile. It exploded onto the scene this spring as a potential referendum on President Donald Trump’s popularity, elevating Ossoff — a little-known first-time candidate — into an online fundraising dynamo who raised more than $8.3 million, largely from small donors scattered around the country, in just three months at the start of the year.

It’s unclear whether the contributors giving this money online will keep up the intensity that powered Ossoff so far. But there’s little sign that the Democratic base will stop getting provoked into action by Trump. (Democratic groups raised millions of dollars Thursday after House Republicans passed their Obamacare repeal bill.) And many Republicans are just as motivated to defend him.

“It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which 2018 will not be the election that shatters midterm spending record as well because we still have Donald Trump as president,” said Lake, the Georgia Republican consultant. “And he’s proven to be an activating force for both Democrats and Republicans.”

Jeffrey

im curious how the AHCA vote will be used on both sides. From what I can tell from polling, people in this district... not a fan.

This would send an amazing anti-Trump message but i think it's too early for a large enough movement to push Ossoff to victory.

Ithil

Always worth noting that this is a deep red district that's not had a Democrat Rep since the 1970s. That it's this close at all is telling.

Wilsongt

If ossaff wins in June I expect immediate responses of voter fraud from It's the Terrible Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Ossof apparently has a 1 or 2 % lead, but I still have doubts he can pull through. This is nuts, though. I donated to his campaign several times and I probably will at least once more before the run off.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's really important the liberals turn out here. If Ossoff wins, it will send shockwaves that will reach moderate Republicans in the House. They'll know they can't get away with rubber stamping Freedom Caucus bullshit. They'll start blocking everything and that would be good for us in general. If he loses, there will be no explicit sign that they're in any danger. I think it's critical Ossoff wins though I am of course understanding of how difficult that will actually be in this district.

kirblar

https://www.thenation.com/article/g...from-registering-in-the-ossoff-handel-runoff/
C_FQTCNXoAAXb_d.jpg:large

Ithil

It's really important the liberals turn out here. If Ossoff wins, it will send shockwaves that will reach moderate Republicans in the House. They'll know they can't get away with rubber stamping Freedom Caucus bullshit. They'll start blocking everything and that would be good for us in general. If he loses, there will be no explicit sign that they're in any danger. I think it's critical Ossoff wins though I am of course understanding of how difficult that will actually be in this district.

Which in theory would also make them basically accomplish nothing until the midterms and hurt them in the end anyway, making a lose-lose scenario for House Republicans.

JaggedSac

We got 48% last time, we just need 3% more. Thinking about volunteering time to the campaign, every little bit helps.

Jeffrey

Maybe they shouldn't have done ahca vote before this lol.

How is that Healthcare plan polling for republicans?

The first bill had 17% approval. No one, including GOP members who voted on it, is 100% what the new one is like, but it's at least worse

kirblar

Under 20%. Like, literally, the point of this was to try and trick Trump and low-info GOP voters into thinking something had been accomplished.

The approval percentage of the last bill, which didn't have the preexisting waiver clause, was 17 percent. I'd be willing to bet that the new version is sub 10 percent. Ossoff should talk about it in every ad or public appearance from now on.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Under 20%. Like, literally, the point of this was to try and trick Trump and low-info GOP voters into thinking something had been accomplished.

Yep. Those that literally are so misinformed that they go about their day oblivious to any daily media, news, or political conversations may see the Rose Garden celebration through osmosis and think the GOP is doing well for them. They are literally banking on the idea that their base are so indoctrinated or so naive that optics are all that matter. Many still are, but this strategy is reaching its end.

Izayoi

Banned
The approval percentage of the last bill, which didn't have the preexisting waiver clause, was 17 percent. I'd be willing to bet that the new version is sub 10 percent. Ossoff should talk about it in every ad or public appearance from now on.
To be honest, every democrat should. The Republicans played themselves hard with this turd and I think that will become more and more evident the closer we get to 2018.

"The GOP doesn't give a fuck about you, your family, or anyone, really, except for themselves and their billionaire backers."

It sells itself.

RPGCrazied

Don't see how Ossoff can't pull this off, specially after the house passing that horrid healthcare bill. All he has to do is attack that and should win.

Link

The Autumn Wind
While this race in particular is promising, these races getting more and more money pumped into them is only bad news for Democrats.

So do you just give up and let them have it? Have to start fighting somewhere.

You may want to read the post I was replying to closer.

While this race in particular is promising, these races getting more and more expensive is only bad news for Democrats.

Well, in this case, it's much worse for the GOP, because the amount of money they are putting in is way more than the Democrat side.

You may want to read the post I was replying to closer.

Well, in this case, it's much worse for the GOP, because the amount of money they are putting in is way more than the Democrat side.

He's just noting that expectations shouldn't be that they're going to win in a landslide

It means fightin time

Fair enough. Sorry, my mistake.

Certainly not expecting a landslide. But yeah, I think it's fair to say it is very competitive.

Game Guru

Ossoff will most likely lose by one or two percentage points, even though I hope he wins. Quite frankly, my worry about 2018 is that Democrats just barely lose their elections. My greatest fear the Democrats will continue to find a way to lose even as the Republicans become blatantly villainous.

Things like the AHCA will also hurt the GOP because traditionally Republican power bases like doctors and retired people will now be looking at the Democrats for maybe the first time in their lives.

Brannon

I'm firmly not part of that district, but I'll send money in vain hopes that Ossoff pulls it off.

We need something. Something. A crumb, a mote of hope, an ember...

Ossoff will most likely lose by one or two percentage points, even though I hope he wins. Quite frankly, my worry about 2018 is that Democrats just barely lose their elections. My greatest fear the Democrats will continue to find a way to lose even as the Republicans become blatantly villainous.

This situation is different, and it's not fair to look at it as a base for 2018 in general. This is a district that hasn't had a democrat in this seat for 30 years, so it's an exceptional situation. So was Kansas, and the current Montana special election.

While this race in particular is promising, these races getting more and more money pumped into them is only bad news for Democrats.

Except that money isn't infinite, and this is a race that normally Republican's wouldn't need to pump any money into. If Republicans are having to spend so much money to win seats like this, the 50-100 seats that are more Dem leaning than this one are all going to need money as well, and at some point the well dries up.

Game Guru

This situation is different, and it's not fair to look at it as a base for 2018 in general. This is a district that hasn't had a democrat in this seat for 30 years, so it's an exceptional situation. So was Kansas, and the current Montana special election.

I understand that, but it does not calm the fears that I have.

I understand that, but it does not calm the fears that I have.

There's always going to be close districts, and the Dems are going to lose some of them. But if we keep seeing a 10-15 percentage point swing like we did in the Kansas election, then Republicans are going to have a really hard time keeping the House in 2018.

Balphon

Always worth noting that this is a deep red district that's not had a Democrat Rep since the 1970s. That it's this close at all is telling.

Even that undersells it a bit. This is Newt Gingrich's former district. Romney carried it by 23 points in 2012. The fact that it's in play at all is fairly stunning.

Top Bottom