• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election is now the most expensive House race in history

Ithil

While this race in particular is promising, these races getting more and more money pumped into them is only bad news for Democrats.

I think that the GOP now have to pump millions of dollars into a special election House seat in a deep red district they've had since 1979 (and just in November had Tom Price reelected with ease) and it's still completely neck and neck with a 30 year old documentary filmmaker who just joined politics in January is a bad thing for Republicans but that's just me.

I think that the GOP now have to pump millions of dollars into a special election House seat in a deep red district they've had since 1979 (and just in November had Tom Price reelected with ease) and it's still completely neck and neck with a 30 year old documentary filmmaker who just joined politics in January is a bad thing for Republicans but that's just me.

What should be notable is that the Democratic Party was still in their post-election shell-shock and didn't even do anything for this guy before the first election in April. He raised most of his initial money with a massive groundswell of small-dollar donations from around the country and got where he was while being mostly ignored by his party. It's only now, with the stakes suddenly raised by the requirement of a runoff, that we're seeing Democratic and Republican money pouring in like this.

I didn't know that Ossoff actually interned for John Lewis. Yeah, that John Lewis, the same one we see endorsing him on https://electjon.com/ so while he's a political neophyte he's got some serious credentials backing him.

More than this being a generic D race, Ossoff is good candidate. Dems need to get more people that can connect and speak passionately. Candidates like Ossoff are the way forward.

The Democratic base just needs that one tangible win to help with the unease and concern even if him winning doesn't really correlate to 2018.

That's a lot of wasted money on a race that probably won't even end up within 5 points in the end.
This is such an ignorant take. Ossoff took 48% in the first round. Even if Handel won every other voter (and there were several other Democrats running, mind) it'd still be a 52-48 split.

Of course, every Ossoff voter needs to show up again for round 2, but he seems to be the one with the momentum and energy here. I wouldn't call it any better than a tossup for either side.

Volimar

This is such an ignorant take. Ossoff took 48% in the first round. Even if Handel won every other voter (and there were several other Democrats running, mind) it'd still be a 52-48 split.

Of course, every Ossoff voter needs to show up again for round 2, but he seems to be the one with the momentum and energy here. I wouldn't call it any better than a tossup for either side.

One would think that there'd be some among those that voted for other republican candidates that will sit it out or even vote for Ossoff. Not everyone is going to be "oh my guy lost, guess I'll vote for the guy that beat him".

Jeffrey

Yep. Honestly didn't have much hope, but didn't realize they would get the ahca through the house lol.

Bet that will motivate some folks on election day.

If they don't use this health care news as hardcore ammo then wtf.

I'd expect Ossoff to win now that they are beginning to tangibly fuck with health care that the GOP sounds like fuckin idiots defending

mlclmtckr

Banned
I saw the thread title and thought 'oh wow that's fucked up' and clicked on it expecting a conversation about money in politics.

Its not ignorant at all. This is a white, affluent, suburban district. These are people who have never voted Democrat, and never will vote Democrat because the only issue they care about is taxes.

Its not ignorant at all. This is a white, affluent, suburban district. These are people who have never voted Democrat, and never will vote Democrat because the only issue they care about is taxes.

Then the answer is increasing turnout, which, if they're actually registering 100+ per day, is probably exactly their plan. A special election isn't going to have the same total votes as a general election, so if you can just get more of your people to show up, then that's good enough.

Ossoff got 48% in the primary and Trump only won this district by 1.5%

The district and its voting patterns are changing. By some measures, possibly the fastest changing in the country

Amir0x

Banned
What should be notable is that the Democratic Party was still in their post-election shell-shock and didn't even do anything for this guy before the first election in April. He raised most of his initial money with a massive groundswell of small-dollar donations from around the country and got where he was while being mostly ignored by his party. It's only now, with the stakes suddenly raised by the requirement of a runoff, that we're seeing Democratic and Republican money pouring in like this.

This is, of course, not remotely true at all and yet another invented narrative selectively deployed by people who want to push a perspective about the Democrats strategy. It's #FakeNews, essentially. He attracted broad support from the DCCC (including mass ad buys targeting specific demographics), top Democratic donors and a wide base of Democratic party volunteers and talent to help.

Link, Link2, Link3

Now of course there is even more money pouring in. But to say Democrats "didn't do anything" for Ossoff is a bold-faced lie. Try harder.

Trouble

Banned
I saw the thread title and thought 'oh wow that's fucked up' and clicked on it expecting a conversation about money in politics.

It's like people have realized that sidelining the conversation on things we can't change when we aren't in power is part of the reason we are where we are right now.

mlclmtckr

Banned
It's like people have realized that sidelining the conversation on things we can't change when we aren't in power is part of the reason we are where we are right now.

But why should anyone vote for a party with that attitude? Do the Democrats actually stand for anything beyond "let's win so we can fix stuff later"?

Amir0x

Banned
But why should anyone vote for a party with that attitude? Do the Democrats actually stand for anything beyond "let's win so we can fix stuff later"?

If you are not in power, you cant change anything. Only a fucking idiot would unilaterally disarm with so much on the line. Politics is war. In our current system you need money to win, and be able to nominate supreme court justices and pass legislation.

If you dont have the stomach for it, that is ok. Stand out the way so we can put in the work to save lives and prevent untold suffering.

You can stay with your privilege and "principles."

Why wouldn't "fixing stuff" be a valid point to make when voting for someone? Especially when the alternative is destroying stuff like the GOP is doing? And the first requirement to fixing anything is to actually be in power.

It's already clear the American people at large are not into hearing about the detailed plans and policies needed for actually fixing things. They just want charisma, excitement, and good vibes, etc. So why not have a message of fixing the very real things being destroyed right now as a general rule and leave the details for later?

And to more directly answer your question, of course the Democrats have plenty of policies beyond just "fixing" stuff. It's very easy to go to a campaign website or the website for the party.

mlclmtckr

Banned
If you dont have the stomach for it, that is ok. Stand out the way so we can put in the work to save lives and prevent untold suffering.

I literally LOLed at this. Good job.

I never said the Democrats should stop raising money. My point was that the amount of money in your politics is seriously fucked up and weird, and should maybe be a topic of discussion in threads like this, instead of the handy way of keeping score that people are treating it as.

Plumbob

I never said the Democrats should stop raising money. My point was that the amount of money in your politics is seriously fucked up and weird, and should maybe be a topic of discussion in threads like this, instead of the handy way of keeping score that people are treating it as.

You don't understand the scope of the problem if you think it can be fixed with discussions and not victories

Trouble

Banned

That discussion does literally nothing for us right now when we have no power. All it does is cause unnecessary infighting.

It's been discussed for years. It is fucked up. But after Citizens United, this is the way the system works. It was a problem before, but that put it on steroids. Bitching about there being too much money in politics doesn't accomplish anything. There's no appetite on the Republican side to change the system, so there's not really anything that can be done about it.

They can't get the money out of politics in the US if the Supreme Court doesn't overturn some stuff, which needs judges that want to do that, which needs Democratic majorities. So for now, more money for Democrats to win elections is the way to get at least part of the money out of politics in the long run.

mlclmtckr

Banned
How do you fix stuff without winning first?

I don't know, but how are voters supposed to trust them to fix stuff if vocal Democratic party members like the people in this thread are literally saying not to talk (to even talk) about a problem until after the Democrats win some elections?

To the two people above me who linked party platforms: that's great, honestly. But if Democrats are running on that stuff how come the PoliGAF yas queen squad thinks its so unproductive to even talk about? If the actual candidates are willing to talk about this stuff, why aren't the rank-and-file?

I don't know, but how are voters supposed to trust them to fix stuff if vocal Democratic party members like the people in this thread are literally saying not to talk (to even talk) about a problem until after the Democrats win some elections?

To the two people above me who linked party platforms: that's great, honestly. But if Democrats are running on that stuff how come the PoliGAF yas queen squad thinks its so unproductive to even talk about? If the actual candidates are willing to talk about this stuff, why aren't the rank-and-file?

Lol it always ends with an attack on PoliGAF and a exagration of the Yasss Queen thing... like clockwork

Trouble

Banned

We all agree, what's to talk about? Right now the focus is resisting the Republican agenda and regaining power.

Kusagari

Because there's nothing to discuss? Basically every liberal hates how money has come to dominate politics. Hillary made overturning Citizens United a central point of her campaign. We all know money in politics sucks but until we have the power to change it that's not going to happen. Just talking about how much it sucks, which we've all done before, does nothing.

Buckle

Don't see how Ossoff can't pull this off, specially after the house passing that horrid healthcare bill. All he has to do is attack that and should win.
As someone who lives not too far off from the district, don't underestimate how stubbornly conservative the south is.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's ridiculous that a runoff takes place 2-3 months after an initial vote

MisterNoisy

The amount of money spent on elections is pretty nauseating. People could be doing something useful with all that money, but instead it's being lit on fire for this horseshit.

Because coming in with "Wow, American politics are fucked up and the minority party doesn't have enough votes to stop bad legislation." is a complete distraction from any conversation that political threads are created for and doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Because coming in with "Wow, American politics are fucked up and the minority party doesn't have enough votes to stop bad legislation." is a complete distraction from any conversation that political threads are created for and doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

Sorry I thought this thread on this discussion forum was created for the purposes of discussion and not a clarion call to the lifesaving heroes of neogaf. My bad. You guys get back to it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda crazy there's this much interest in a house special election a month and a half away.

Hopefully there will be a lot of turnout to one of these for once.

wildfire

Banned
Dem registration numbers are insane.

That's the thing to look out for. Republicans are worried because last week when they finished rubbing numbers, low turn out Democrats beat out low turn out Republicans by 9 points and thus forcing this run off.

All those people we worry about not voting in past elections are getting angrier with Trump.

If the run off was like now ir next week a Republican should win but June 20?

That's too much time for even more unreliable voters to get angry with Trump and motivated enough to vote.

Sorry I thought this thread on this discussion forum was created for the purposes of discussion and not a clarion call to the lifesaving heroes of neogaf. My bad. You guys get back to it.

The point of a discussion is that you bring a valid point worth discussing to the table.

You could have done that.

Vice

Kinda crazy there's this much interest in a house special election a month and a half away.

Hopefully there will be a lot of turnout to one of these for once.
Republicans always pay attention to these house races and other more minor elections. Every seat matters, whether it's for some place in the middle of no where or in Houston Texas.

Top Bottom