• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German PS4, XB1, PS3, 360 LTD's as of June 2014 via GFK

Dinda

PS4 2013 German YTD = 250,000
XB1 2013 German YTD = 100,000[/URL]

Thus

PS4 2014 German YTD = 290,000
XB1 2014 German YTD = 70,000

The crazy thing about this years numbers is that the PS4 was extremely supply constrained from the beginning of the year to pretty exactly the launch of Watch Dogs at the end of May. This would be even more extreme otherwise.

I don't see much hope for Microsoft either. The new Bundle did nothing, they already sold the Titanfall/Kinect Bundle here for like 380€, so the problem isn't the price.

Halo isn't that big here, the last one sold less than 200.000 copies, so i can imagine that most of the big Halo fans already have their console.

And unlike in other countries Console exclusive Titles with a PC release (like Titanfall) won't help Microsoft at all in Germany because even if they play on consoles for most of them the PC is at least a viable option. So i don't see them buying Xboxes for such titles.

I'm also very sure the WiiU is selling quite a bit better than the One at the moment, I'm beginning to hear a lot of positive reactions towards it, something that can't be said about the One.

If it's this bad for msft in Germany it must be even worse in the slightly more fervent pro-Sony EU territories such as Spain, Italy, France, etc.

Good numbers for the PS4 and the heavy hitting games haven't even come out yet...

I think Drive Club will do wonders for the PS4 in Europe.

No Love

Banned
Wow I had no idea PS3 was so dominant in Germany. That's ridiculous. PS4 is kicking ass as well.

I don't know if Microsoft can really gain traction in these countries when they are so obviously Sony-dominated.

Devil

No surprise at all. Even during the early years of last gen where the 360 was the place to be and the PS3 was expensive and struggled with software support and bad ports, almost nobody wanted a 360 and bought a PS3 to play FIFA and Need for Speed. No wonder that the gap between the next Xbox and Playstation is even wider now that the PS4 has the upper hand in the media and the Xbox struggles.

I never get why some countries or people in general often favor one brand over the other without willing to admit that at some time the other brand might be the better choice.

In a couple of weeks at Gamescom msft will have 1 final chance to right their ship in this crucial territory or else face irrelevance till the end of this console cycle.

I'm expecting them to play super aggressive with exclusives (outright or timed DLC) and surprise announcements - i mean, they have to right?

It's now or never, guys. Make it happen right now or else - good luck fighting for market share table scraps with nintendo.

FIFA Xbone exclusive confirmed! Oh wait, that was a flashback from last year.

Significant third party exclusives aren't going to happen. If they were, they would've happened already, back when everyone actually thought they had a chance. Now that there's a clear leader and the gap is widening every day, things are only going to get harder for Microsoft on that front.

onQ123

The biggest part of this is the fact that PS4 has sold around 1/4 of the Xbox 360 LTD in just 9 months & about 1/8 of the PS3 LTD.

kadotsu

Banned
I never get why some countries or people in general often favor one brand over the other without willing to admit that at some time the other brand might be the better choice.

Well for Europe the PS3 is the rational better choice. XBLG at the time of the 360 was the worst paid service that money could buy. The RRoD is a way bigger deal for a people that love to buy insurances. Then there is the game catalog: Shooters, indexed titles and worse PC ports in a country with a large core retail PC market. Then there is the often sub-par localization efforts of MS (bad FIGS voiceacting, only including the local language, region locking).

In the end the 360 became a worthwhile proposition because it was dirt cheap and had some good exclusives but lets not kid ourselves that Sony only won because of brand loyalty.

Freeman

Banned
Just the snowball effect from this early lead pretty much guarantees PS4 will dominate the German market. In an era where online is so important this early lead is invaluable.

Significant third party exclusives aren't going to happen. If they were, they would've happened already, back when everyone actually thought they had a chance. Now that there's a clear leader and the gap is widening every day, things are only going to get harder for Microsoft on that front.

I wish we knew why EA (and to a lesser extent Activision) is doubling down and basically jumping in bed with MS. They and other third parties can see where this is going - the EA Vault and all the CoD exclusive maps in the world can't right a 2:1 sales gap world wide. And despite the price drop and the new SKU - the gap actually seems to be growing. I'm not saying they should abandon the Xbox One, but what incentive is there for them to give MS exclusive anything unless the money is right (which I doubt).

Oh well, the world wonders.

Usobuko

Banned
Wii U was 160k on September 2013? So that means its LTD is better than Xbox One?

Especially when Mario Kart 8 only hits in mid 2014.

I wish we knew why EA (and to a lesser extent Activision) is doubling down and basically jumping in bed with MS. They and other third parties can see where this is going - the EA Vault and all the CoD exclusive maps in the world can't right a 2:1 sales gap world wide. And despite the price drop and the new SKU - the gap actually seems to be growing. I'm not saying they should abandon the Xbox One, but what incentive is there for them to give MS exclusive anything unless the money is right (which I doubt).

I think EA has largely turned around. PVZ is coming to PS4, Titanfall 2 will likely be multiplat, and I believe BF Hardline has exclusive marketing with Sony. The only reason EA Access is with MS and not Sony is because Sony said no, otherwise they'd be there as quick as lightning.

MS has strong ties to EA and going in they probably expected the X1 to dominate NA, hence the favoritism and deals. That's changed.

Activision? They go where the money is, which is why they've also got the Destiny deal with Sony. Their CoD deal with Microsoft was made years ago and should be ending relatively soon, whether they re-sign it is entirely up to them.

EA clearly banked on Microsoft leading into this gen and wanted to get in early in order to capitalise on it, which is an amazing example of their foresight (just as their deals with Sony last gen were). I think they've mostly pulled out from this since then and are just continuing the old "highest bidder" routine that they had before (BF Hardline deal with Sony, DA: Inquisition deal with Microsoft). I'm pretty sure Sony's the reason why EA Access isn't coming to PS4, as it really doesn't benefit Sony at all.

If anything I'm more surprised that the EA Access didn't launch on Origin first. It seems to me like it'd be a far greater help there than on the Xbone, though they'd obviously have to offer different games, since most of their sports titles don't even get PC ports.

PlayStation: 4
Xbox: 1

FgSwj%25255B1%25255D.gif

I keep saying, the best thing about the last two years has been the "MS is going to have everything as an exclusive" narrative that keeps popping up, every single time there's a gaming show on the horizon. And it never turns out to be true. It's hilarious.

Donos

When MS has no XB1 game for 3 consecutive weeks in the german top50, you know hardware numbers are low. Last week no xb1 title in the top100 if i remember correctly.

ypo

Anecdote. Getting an Xbox One pretty much means giving up on the way bigger gaming community. I know (online + real life) at least >30 people with a PS4 compared to like 3 with an Xbox One. Owners of multiple consoles buy the 3rd party games (like Destiny) on PS4 because "that's where the community is". How things have changed, it was the complete opposite during Xbox 360 times. Even here in Germany.

Sorry but you need to get more Xfriends.

Bgamer90

Banned
Germany loved the PS3 even back during the beginning of last gen so I'm not surprised. Sold double what the 360 did there in 2008 iirc.

Crushing.

I keep saying, the best thing about the last two years has been the "MS is going to have everything as an exclusive" narrative that keeps popping up, every single time there's a gaming show on the horizon. And it never turns out to be true. It's hilarious.

Yep, how many games have apparently been Xbone exlusive at this point? I can remember Mirror's Edge 2, Dragon's Dogma 2, Resident Evil 7, FIFA 14 and Mass Effect 4 all being brought up at one point or another.

People expecting the One to only sell as well as the original Xbox are wrong. It is clearly on pace to far surpass that bar, just not reaching the 360's level of success. Obviously there's a massive range it can fall in but still, the way GAF discusses the system is silly. In all likelihood it will probably post numbers higher than N64, meaning it will have a userbase large enough to support solid sales but not act as the market leader. I don't think anyone's expected that in a long time, not even Microsoft.

People that compare this to the Wii U have no idea what they're talking about.

gioGAF

X360 was never objectively "the better choice". Most of the features X360 has didn't even work outside of the US.

Other countries are also probably not as tolerant of defective hardware.

Faustek

X360 was never objectively "the better choice". Most of the features X360 has didn't even work outside of the US.

Other countries are also probably not as tolerant of defective hardware.

heh I can admit straight up why I picked up the PS3 instead of the 360

The PS3 cost me $1100 at launch, a Blue ray player was about $600 more.
This was the main cause, other reasons:

It was a MS console so added doubt at the start.
Still tons of PS2 games I needed to play.
OtherOS, Monolithic is still fascinating and so different to what I was used to so was expecting the PS3 to build upon it. Still sad they removed OtherOS :(
And yeah did I mention it was a MS console? The first one intrigued me, not so much after the Shenmue fiasco.

Xbox doing so bad in Germany that the 360 lost 300k in sales /s

Actually I find the XB1 numbers fairly surprising

Compared with US sales of the XB1

US XB1 2013 YTD = 1817k, ~ 62% of total LTD
US XB1 2014 YTD = 1099k, ~ 38% of total LTD

German XB1 2013 YTD = 100k, ~ 59% of total LTD
German XB1 2014 YTD = 70k, ~ 41% of total LTD

This somehow implies that Germany was less front-loaded than the US for XB1 sales, relatively of course

now I want to see France YTD/LTDs, we'd probably even get a Wii U comparison there (though I'm surprised we didn't here, given that Germany is their next best European country after France)

Mikey Jr.

Yep, how many games have apparently been Xbone exlusive at this point? I can remember Mirror's Edge 2, Dragon's Dogma 2, Resident Evil 7, FIFA 14 and Mass Effect 4 all being brought up at one point or another.

I'll eat crow on the ME4 one.

Thought MS would reveal that as atleast a timed exclusive at E3.

Xbox doing so bad in Germany that the 360 lost 300k in sales /s

Yeah it seems the author or the GFK person was a bit overzealous in their claim in that regard.

now I want to see France YTD/LTDs, we'd probably even get a Wii U comparison there (though I'm surprised we didn't here, given that Germany is their next best European country after France)

I would have loved to get LTD updates on all consoles but I guess we got those back in September of last year or something?

France would be the most interesting country. I want to see where the Wii U and PS4 LTD's sit. I think it's easy to see XB1 sitting at third in France

France would be the most interesting country. I want to see where the Wii U and PS4 LTD's sit. I think it's easy to see XB1 sitting at third in France

yeah, seems Xbox One 2014 in Germany is actually (barely) better than Wii U 2013, though I don't think that holds up now....

wait wasn't France H1 2014 sales for the Wii U like 60k? am I remembering this wrong, or is there something else going on here

The biggest part of this is the fact that PS4 has sold around 1/4 of the Xbox 360 LTD in just 9 months & about 1/8 of the PS3 LTD.

Damn, really.

Like some have said, MS has somehow (well we all know the reasons) conspired to lose nearly all that hard-earned marketshare from last gen it looks like.

I wonder how bad it is in France, Spain and Italy. Greater than 4:1 in favour of PS4? I ain't seen an Xbone title in the top 5 of the charts for months.

I don't think that we have updated numbers for Spain, but last year the PS4 was outselling the Xbox One by 5:1.

Wow doesn't surprise me. Spain is about as pro-Sony as you can get.

I'm genuinely curious about what MS will do. There's no way they can viably keep pumping billions into the Bone if they are only selling semi decently in USA.

I think we are two steps away from a quickfire successor/early exit from the gen (pos by 2016). The step before that will be a big price cut and a wait and see approach.

yeah, seems Xbox One 2014 in Germany is actually (barely) better than Wii U 2013, though I don't think that holds up now....

wait wasn't France H1 2014 sales for the Wii U like 60k? am I remembering this wrong, or is there something else going on here

Well the LTD of Wii U in France is 340k as of June 2014 which is comparable to the same time frame for these german LTDs

http://www.challenges.fr/high-tech/...-reussi-un-hold-up-a-l-e3-de-los-angeles.html

XB1 technically has done better sales in France then Germany so far as we know.

126k versus 100k in the same timeframe

PS4 did about the same in both territories.

Assuming for some reason that France sales behavior for 2014 mirrored Germany's then

PS4 2014 YTD would be 278k
PS4 LTD would be 518k

XB1 2014 YTD would be 88k
XB1 LTD would be 214k

So there's a good chance in France it goes something like PS4 >= 500k > Wii U = 340k > XB1 > 200k

Just conjecture of course

quetz67

Banned
Wow doesn't surprise me. Spain is about as pro-Sony as you can get.

I'm genuinely curious about what MS will do. There's no way they can viably keep pumping billions into the Bone if they are only selling semi decently in USA.

I think we are two steps away from a quickfire successor/early exit from the gen (pos by 2016). The step before that will be a big price cut and a wait and see approach.

I said it again and again, the main reason gor the kinectless Xbone is to use it as weapon to start a price war.

Exiting the gen 2016? That would be megaton, but would it get them consumers back? It worked for the 360 though! But huge R&D and another marketing blitz after just 3 years, shareholders would kill them.

orochi91

I said it again and again, the main reason gor the kinectless Xbone is to use it as weapon to start a price war.

Exiting the gen 2016? That would be megaton, but would it get them consumers back? It worked for the 360 though! But huge R&D and another marketing blitz after just 3 years, shareholders would kill them.

I'd be surprised if MS green-lights further console R&D after the XB1. They've
squandered away 12 years worth of market share growth.

Top Bottom