• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany 2015 PS4/Xbone Console Report.

Maledict

This is why Germany has become a bigger market for Sony than the UK. The U.K. Is still the biggest overall console market in Europe, but Sonys dominance in Germany compared to their much smaller lead in the UK means it's worth more to them.

Microsoft's refusal to even attempt to understand what the world looks like outside of the USA when designing and selling their products is just going to hurt them more and more in the future.

ethomaz

Banned
Checks out with HW LTD too. Last numbers we got was through March 15.

PS4: 1.600,000
Xbox One: 378,000
Ratio: ~4.2

The "interest" ratio here is higher (almost 6:1) but it doesn't surprise me since the sales ratio started only at 2.5:1 through 2013.
I read in the PAL thread the ratio is 5.6:1.

Klart

Sony deserve it. They have made the greatest console and controller ever designed with the best library of games bar none. Their fans deserve these awards and accolades.

Yes, I do. I do deserve awards and accolades. And chocolates. More please.

Not in the least surprising that Germany/EU is leaning towards Playstation considering MS's huge focus on the US as a market. Not only in terms of advertising but in focusing on american football instead of soccer and cable/media-features tailor-made for the US market.

Jumeira

Banned
Not in the least surprising that Germany/EU is leaning towards Playstation considering MS's huge focus on the US as a market. Not only in terms of advertising but in focusing on american football instead of soccer and cable/media-features tailor-made for the US market.

Indeed. Even with 360 popularity it was easily beaten by PS3 in Germany/France. This is expected in those 2 territories.

patapuf

Of course! Xbox is for hardcore players and PS4 is for casuals. Yes, that make sense.

This is about the fact that the xbox platform is niche in germany and people that purchase niche platforms are more likely to be more active.

It's not exactly a crazy concept.

Alo0oy

Banned
I always enjoy the "casuals don't know X exists" argument. It is possible that people are aware both consoles exist since, ya know, both consoles are displayed prominently next to each in stores and online, and they simply choose the PS4.

Yes, in North America, there are markets that genuinely don't know Xbox exists.

Raist

Banned
I think the last one was 2013.

Not that it matters all that much, but (from wikipedia):

It was a launch title for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in November 2013[7][8] and is the last FIFA game to be released for the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable.

It's quite crazy if you think about it. The last PS2 FIFA game launched at the same time than the PS4.

Alo0oy

Banned
This is about the fact that the xbox platform is niche in germany and people that purchase niche platforms are more likely to be more active.

It's not exactly a crazy concept.

PS3 software selling better more than two years after launch is not considered "active".

desu

That's not true. You must have not been looking very hard.

Huh? I check deal sites every day and the xbox deals/discounts used to outclass the Playstation deals (in frequency and how much you got for your money). I stopped counting reading from people how they wished that the Playstation would get these deals. Its become closer in the last months but really I used to make fun of just how often the xbox had deals while there were barely any good deals for the Playstation.

Huh? I check deal sites every day and the xbox deals/discounts used to outclass the Playstation deals (in frequency and how much you got for your money). I stopped counting reading from people how they wished that the Playstation would get these deals. Its become closer in the last months but really I used to make fun of just how often the xbox had deals while there were barely any good deals for the Playstation.

I think earlier this year Xbox deals were much more frequent, but even then you could find PS4s for a similar price if you looked around. The last few months it just completely changed and PS4 deals dominated everything. Overall I think it was even.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That's also my impressions from reading deal sites over the year.

Sony deserve it. They have made the greatest console and controller ever designed with the best library of games bar none. Their fans deserve these awards and accolades.

The Dualshock 4 is only good in comparison to its forebears. It's not the best controller ever made by a long stretch.

How is this compared to 2 years into last-gen (or better: 2 years into PS3 release in germany)? Back then the Xbox 360 should have had all the advantages, right? way lower price point, slightly larger library still and of course a year headstart.

Was it that different in germany back then?

Sakujou

Banned
simply no. abusing marketing mistakes of your enemy is just luck. sony will deliver next year, thats sure. but till today its a shame what kind of shitfest it was.
oh and dont forget the controller and the lightbar on it. the batterylife lasts forever. not.

Kayant

tbt.gif

Haunted

"Germany was always Sony/Playstation country" strikes me as a surprising statement, seeing how the Wii fucked up the PS3 last generation. Germany and France were the European poster childs for Nintendo dominance graphs for a long time.

Ignoring the PC elephant in the room and only talking about the console half of the market, whether the PS2 or the Wii dominated sales charts in the past, the only constant has been that Germany has been a "everyone but Microsoft" country. While the 360 did make some inroads in terms of mind- and marketshare... the XB1 promptly squandered it all, pretty much.

You might be joking, but the first bolded part is absolutely true and the second will be indisputably true in a few years.
Already my favorite system ever, followed closely by the xbox 360.

simply no. abusing marketing mistakes of your enemy is just luck. sony will deliver next year, thats sure. but till today its a shame what kind of shitfest it was.
oh and dont forget the controller and the lightbar on it. the batterylife lasts forever. not.

Enough salt to treat all the roads in Canada for the entire winter right here.

I'm legitimately surprised that Wii U consumer interest is as high as for Xbox One here in Germany. I honestly thought it would be much lower.
Then again I also thought that Xbone interest was much higher than it actually seems to be, so there's that...

Congrats to Sony, though. The PS4 is definitely one of their best consoles ever.

patapuf

"Germany was always Sony/Playstation country" strikes me as a surprising statement, seeing how the Wii fucked up the PS3 last generation. Germany and France were the European poster childs for Nintendo dominance graphs for a long time.

Ignoring the PC elephant in the room and only talking about the console half of the market, whether the PS2 or the Wii dominated sales charts in the past, the only constant has been that Germany has been a "everyone but Microsoft" country. While the 360 did make some inroads in terms of mind- and marketshare... the XB1 promptly squandered it all, pretty much.

jep, Microsoft has not managed to popularize the xbox brand on the mainland.

So many of it's marketing bulet-points just didn't work well (if at all) in EU.

Alo0oy

Banned

The PS3 outsold the Wii in those markets though.

Shin-Ra

Why wouldn't the 'hardcore gamer' play FO4 on the PS4? Why would the 'hardcore gamer' be more likely to own a XB1 in the first place? Because I strongly doubt it's true.
The hardest of the core know that the firmware updatable Xbox One Wireless Controller is The Only Way to Play.

Genuine lol.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Funny how a marketing deal works a little when you look at Fallout and then it totally doesnt when you look at FIFA.

Err, marketing in this case doesn't really matter. If 85% of the population goes PS4, what's marketing gonna do?

Kyougar

Err, marketing in this case doesn't really matter. If 85% of the population goes PS4, what's marketing gonna do?

Nothing they can do.

Anecdotal Story of course:
My PC Gaming buddies here in Germany all have a very bad attitude towards Microsoft. We loved most of the games Microsoft game Studios produced or published on PC. Mechwarrior, Age of Empires, Starlancer, Freelancer, Rise of Nations, Flight Sim, etc. etc.

It all started with the buyout of Halo. Halo was on the covers of most PC magazines since 99 and we were very disappointed that it was now exclusive to XBOX instead of PC and MAC. It was also the death of Halo in Germany.
In the coming years Microsoft gutted or closed most PC developers and published less and less games on PC. Every successfull Franchise was dropped.

So most of us who loved the offerings of Microsoft on PC were boycotting XBOX (not windows) The ones who played Console games on the side did it on Playstation.

This may seem childish to some, but we voted with our wallets. Also its not like Microsoft gave the PC franchises another life on XBOX, so that some of us could break under the pressure and get an XBOX for beloved PC franchise xyz. But no, they killed all of it.

Never change.

Yudoken

I would love to see how many active steam accounts are in germany.

But as far as I know we can't get them, right?

Ray Down

Banned

Always a jokester.

Phamit

MS moneyhats FIFA and only 9% of people are interested in the Xbox version? That's a disaster.

That was just stupid,

it's like telling someone to drink his favorite beer in different bar instead of his favorite one, because you have a deal with the producer

You often see here people selling their PS3 with Fifa 09-14 no other game

Top Bottom