• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb E3 2012

Kaizer

Banned
Geoff saying some real good things right now, never really had doubts about him though. At the end of the day, dude has a job to do as the central "mouthpiece" for gaming on TV, etc. Can't really blame him for that, would definitely love to hear more serious talk from him more though.

UberTag

Geoff dropping the truth bombs.

Nintendo dun goofed for sure.
3DS should hold them over this year.
They're effectively screwed in the console space.

Gamecube-level is "best case scenario" for the Wii U right now and even then they'll need to bolster their handling of their own IPs because NOA was far more effective in that department a decade ago than they are now. And it's hard to fathom them getting core third-party exclusive titles on the level of what Resident Evil 4 meant to Gamecube anytime soon.

Geoff saying some real good things right now, never really had doubts about him though. At the end of the day, dude has a job to do as the central "mouthpiece" for gaming on TV, etc. Can't really blame him for that, would definitely love to hear more serious talk from him more though.
Clearly we need to seek out online podcasts/vidcasts for discussion on this level. It will never happen on TV. Especially with Sessler now gone from X-Play.

Cartman86

Banned
I think Geoff is pretty good on Bonus Round too. He's supposed to be the objective host there and does a good job doing that in addition to pushing the guests to justify what they say.

Didn't like Nintendo at all, but I feel like I can't say at all what the mainstream user's reaction will be to it. Maybe the average person will think of that screen like they thought of the motion controls and it will sell like crazy. We'll see.

GQman2121

Banned
Is it just me, or is Dave Lang tired of Ryan & Geoff show?

He could go make a sandwich for all I care. Jaffe was brilliant, but I think this is the talk everyone wanted last night. I'm kind of shocked that it took Geoff showing up to have the conversation really focus on the announcements and games at the show. None of the other sites who are podcasting at night are having anywhere near this level of discussion.

I'd love to see more videos and articles of Geoff Keighly expressing HIS opinion.

I'd watch and read all of it. He's a really cool guy and I genuinely like him.

I think Geoff is pretty good on Bonus Round too. He's supposed to be the objective host there and does a good job doing that in addition to pushing the guests to justify what they say.

That's true but the Bonus Round never gets a chance to go into real depth, and is plagued by the likes of Satterfield and Pachter (to be clear, I have no problem with Pachter, but he's not exactly the kind of person that fits that format).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cartman86 said:
I stopped watching Bonus Round when they changed it up. I felt like because the segments were timed based on questions and stuff, there wasn't enough room for adequate discussion, insightful or not.

I want a Geoff and Patrick podcast. See who can win in the battle of rising voices.

Geoff is really vicious and all about the real talk right now.

Chuck

Still without luck
Man, Geoff is a really smart guy. Why can't he just start his own site, bring the world exclusives with him, and leave the crap show of GT and Spike in the dust?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So how long do you guys think until Nintendo moves on from the WiiU to something else?

They keep referencing Batman, but to me ME3 makes even less sense.
Why? That's just a port. Arkham City had a long demo they kept accentuating on how great it's going to be on the WiiU, even though there's just some gimmicks as an incentive for gamers (excluding the "mythical gamers" as Geoff stated.)

Yeah, really enjoying this talk with Geoff. I used to not like him much but the last few years my opinion on him has pretty much flipped. He is really great at articulating himself and his opinions.

Zaph

Man, Geoff is a really smart guy. Why can't he just start his own site, bring the world exclusives with him, and leave the crap show of GT and Spike in the dust?
Geoff is great and well respected in the industry, but lets not get it twisted, the exclusives happen because publishers love seeing their stuff on TV. If you're the type of person to visit a gaming website, chances are you'll hear about the announcement anyway.

I feel like Dave Lang is sitting there knowing stuff but doesn't want to / can't say. :p

What makes you think he has a lot to say? Never heard of him before and looked him up... So he was a porducer on Kinnect Adventures, Raccatear, Dark Void, 3D Bionic Commando (not the good one), Tron Legacy, and You Dont know Jack.

So um. .. He was involved in one cool triva game and a bunch of lame shit.

At any rate, he can just leave for all I care if he doesnt want to be involved in this conversation. This is good stuff.

Rimfya

Banned
Imagine how much Nintendo could get out of MS, Sony or even Apple for console-exclusivity if they ditched hardware.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So how long do you guys think until Nintendo moves on from the WiiU to something else?

They're in a really weird position overall. If next E3 has MS and Sony dropping a new console bomb and it's pretty advanced over what they have, they're going to be in the wii position again where third parties focus on the powerful consoles and leave them in the dust. They can't just ditch it but I'm not sure how long it can last, it depends a lot on the competition.

UberTag

Nintendo is stubborn. Eventually they'll just roll out their big IPs and count on a bunch of people buying their system for an HD version of Zelda, Mario Galaxy 3 and whatever Retro's working on and try to figure out a way to capture lightning in a bottle again ala Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Just Dance, etc.

If Microsoft didn't have the service contract gambit in play for affordable entry to Durango, Nintendo could have at least counted on a protracted transition from current gen hardware (which includes Wii U) to next level tech. But that will probably ensure there's no lag - even if most developers will take a while to catch up.

Rimfya

Banned
Geoff is great and well respected in the industry, but lets not get it twisted, the exclusives happen because publishers love seeing their stuff on TV. If you're the type of person to visit a gaming website, chances are you'll hear about the announcement anyway.

This is why I think he is awesome, he has the hardest job in video games. Maintain a strong connection and feel for the 'core' audience and bring that to a mainstream setting. Balances both awesomely.

Im not really sure why people have a problem with Satterfield? I like Invisible Walls, any reason you guys don't like him?

I am an oddball, though. I enjoy Pachter as well.

This is why I think he is awesome, he has the hardest job in video games. Maintain a strong connection and feel for the 'core' audience and bring that to a mainstream setting. Balances both awesomely.

Exactly, he can never appeal to some of these "hardcore" people just on the basis that he has a tv show. He really knows his stuff and he deserves all the things he has.

Top Bottom