• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl loses feet on ride at Six Flags

Status
Not open for further replies.

argon

Tenacious-V said:
According to the video clip in the link, a cable snapped during the malfunction and sliced her feet off when it whipped by.....

Wow, that's crazy.. there was a mythbusters episode about this since it's kind of an urban legend among Air Force / Navy guys. It seemed really improbable by their tests.

Andokuky

Banned
Some woman at Six Flags Over Texas drowned when a boat type of cart flipped over on a ride called Roaring Rapids. I really can't think of a worse way to die.

lexi

Banned
Nobody's really commented on how much this must have hurt. I'm talking sliding down a rocky road using your dick as brakes kinda pain.

Btw I think 2 million is lowballing it, I'm expecting at least somewhere between 50-100 million, and even that's fairly conservative.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
look at the bright side guys, now she doesn`t have to change socks anymore , she can always use one pair and save some money.

Christopher

I was JUST at Six Flags Monday well at the great adventure one, and I rode everything...sans Nitro :(.

I hate stories like this.

argon

Gexecuter said:
look at the bright side guys, now she doesn`t have to change socks anymore , she can always use one pair and save some money.

She's also no longer tall enough to ride the coaster.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah but then you'd have to say 'i purchased 1 million in Nintendo', which is almost as bad anyway. Better just go Apple.

pxleyes

Banned
WTF

I load that video on the local news site, and I get an ad before the video started....a video to plan a visit to Six Flags!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
argon said:
Wow, that's crazy.. there was a mythbusters episode about this since it's kind of an urban legend among Air Force / Navy guys. It seemed really improbable by their tests.

To be fair, it wasn't moving at over 50 mph.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Tenacious-V said:
According to the video clip in the link, a cable snapped during the malfunction and sliced her feet off when it whipped by.....

ugh thats awful and disturbing :(

Well hell... And here I was trying to convince my girlfriend to come on a trip with me to Six Flags(she's afraid of roller coasters) in a few months. So much for that thought.

I could live off the interest from 2 million for the rest of my life. Sure I'd miss my legs, but not as much as I would miss (in a good way) never having to work again. No legs = retirement.

At least until some radical Christians read about my story on Yahoo News and break into my house and kill me for vandalizing the temple that is my body. :/

OT: Ugh. I wonder if the ride's designers ever anticipated this sort of malfunction.

M3wThr33 said:
God. They are really toeing the line with security at parks these days, aren't they?
I'd give an arm and a leg to see that.
That's a great way to kick off summer.
Six Flags doesn't have a leg to stand on.
She'll never set foot in that park again.

Also ones I can't relate but came to mind:
Best foot forward
Foot in the mouth
:lol

Apoc29

With all the money Six Flags makes, I'm sure they'll have no problem footing the bill.

Just trying to make my contribution.

M3wThr33 said:
God. They are really toeing the line with security at parks these days, aren't they?
I'd give an arm and a leg to see that.
That's a great way to kick off summer.
Six Flags doesn't have a leg to stand on.
She'll never set foot in that park again.

Also ones I can't relate but came to mind:
Best foot forward
Foot in the mouth

Somebody has to foot the bill for this.

Try as she might, she kept coming up 2 feet short.

I bet she's kicking herself for getting on that ride.

Watch that last step.....

Koshiba

Almighty_Chocobo said:
Well hell... And here I was trying to convince my girlfriend to come on a trip with me to Six Flags(she's afraid of roller coasters) in a few months. So much for that thought.

Haha, I can relate.. In a way that my boyfriend thinks next amusement park we go to that I'll be riding the roller coasters with him, he loves them. Screw that. :lol He's gravely mistaken, I'll let him stand in line for that crap and I'll go find something better to do with my time. :p

As for the story, really really horrible. :( It's just, knowing my luck something like this would happen to me. So I shall stay far away.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Koshiba said:
Haha, I can relate.. In a way that my boyfriend thinks next amusement park we go to that I'll be riding the roller coasters with him, he loves them. Screw that. :lol He's gravely mistaken, I'll let him stand in line for that crap and I'll go find something better to do with my time. :p

As for the story, really really horrible. :( It's just, knowing my luck something like this would happen to me. So I shall stay far away.
you're thousands of times more likely to suffer from one of these serious injuries driving down the road than in an amusement park ride.

Unforunately, accidents do happen. Doesn't make it right, but you can't completely prevent accidents from happening, only lower the chances.

Javaman

I'd advise you guys keep your SOs away from http://www.rideaccidents.com/. At the site they collect reports on accidents at fairs and amusement parks. I don't remember which year it is filed on but a couple high school students were killed on a water slide when they tried to stuff as many people into the entrance as possible. The tube detached from the base and dumped them all to the ground +30feet below.

Edit: Found it.
link said:
Monday, June 2, 1997 - A 17-year-old girl was killed and 32 teenagers were injured when a water slide collapsed at Waterworld USA park in Concord, California. A group of high school seniors celebrating their graduation ignored a lifeguard's warning and rushed past him in an attempt to slide down the ride all together. The combined weight of the students exceeded the original design load by 4 times, and a section of the ride, a Banzai Pipeline water slide, collapsed. Some riders fell from heights of 30 feet. The students admitted that they were trying to break the school record for the largest number of students riding the slide at one time.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
now she's free to get diabetes... what's she got to lose? 2 million dollars worth of Lindt white chocolate for meeee!

this is why the only real theme part worth going to is Cedar Point.

Maybe I should insure my feet before going to Six Flags over Georgia on Monday. I'm sure Time Warner can help her get back on her feet.

MIMIC

Banned
SlackMage said:
could you imagine if that cable sliced off everyone's feet as it whipped by? could you imagine walking under superman the ride and it raining feet on you?

:lol

Javaman

Holy shit. I found this on the rideaccident link.

641oz21.jpg

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abb_1179665585

I'm not sure why the youtube vid doesn't work, it loads the screen but just idles.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Javaman said:
I'd advise you guys keep your SOs away from http://www.rideaccidents.com/. At the site they collect reports on accidents at fairs and amusement parks. I don't remember which year it is filed on but a couple high school students were killed on a water slide when they tried to stuff as many people into the entrance as possible. The tube detached from the base and dumped them all to the ground +30feet below.

what kind of a weirdo would make a website about that and have stats since 1972? Who cares enough about accidents at amusement parks to dedicate their life to it?

Javaman

briefcasemanx said:
what kind of a weirdo would make a website about that and have stats since 1972? Who cares enough about accidents at amusement parks to dedicate their life to it?

Who cares? People collect all kinds of information, morbid or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it was run by a victim's family or a retired safety inspector.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wish that site would seperate injuries and death caused by mechanical failure or negligence from those that were self-inflicted.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
If she doesn't get Caterpiller tracks or some other kind of awesome mech implant with the fat wad of $$$ coming her way, the girl is a fool.

Javaman

Spectral Glider said:

Indeed. I was pretty surprised at how many accidents happen on those inflatable slides and jump pits. I guess it's to be expected if they aren't anchored right. There's a lot of surface area for the wind to catch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
From that site:

rideaccidents.com said:
In Orlando, Florida, a 10-year-old girl died after riding a roller coaster. The victim had a heart condition, and was unable to understand the signs warning of the ride's potential dangers because she did not understand English.

Ok, who takes their 10 year old kid with a heart condition to a rollercoaster theme park and let her run around on her own?

Yes she will have a ton of money but...I'd still rather have my feet. Most people really don't realize how valuable your own body is.

ToyMachine228 said:
Yes she will have a ton of money but...I'd still rather have my feet. Most people really don't realize how valuable your own body is.

Yeah, and she's 13, that's the worst part. I'd especially want my feet at that age.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Kids don't need feet anyway, they need nachos and tivo.

I don't think they have any ground to stand on here

Whereas she has plenty of ground, but nothing to.....

Ok, retreating back from the line.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Amir0x said:
Now that is ****ing nasty. I think the cable was trying to Final Destination that bitch.

OH SO NOW SHE'S A BITCH FOR GETTING HER FEET CHOPPED OFF. OR ARE ALL WOMEN BITCHES HUH? HUH? HUH?

Javaman said:
I'd advise you guys keep your SOs away from http://www.rideaccidents.com/. At the site they collect reports on accidents at fairs and amusement parks.

August 10, 1993 - A 17-year-old rider and a 19-year-old ride operator were killed on a fixed-site bungee jump ride in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The cable which was used to hoist the gondola in which the victims were riding broke as the gondola neared the top of the support arch, which was about 180 feet high. The gondola crashed to the ground.
One week prior to this accident, state inspectors were notified that the cable used to lift and lower the gondola was in poor condition, and posed a danger to riders. An inspector was sent to inspect the ride, however, he ignored his assignment, and the ride continued to operate uninspected.
The attraction is now out of business. The victims' families later sued the ride's operators and won. A jury also found the state inspections department grossly negligent.

This bungee jump ride (which was the only attraction) was on a small acre of land adjacent to a highway. My family and I actually drove by the bungee jump ride about one minute after the accident occurred. We didn't know what was going on except we saw what looked like a crushed cage on the ground. It wasn't until the next day when we read the newspaper that we found out the ride operator who died was our family friend who we regularly played soccer with. :( He had just graduated from high school and was really one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. It's a real shame his life at to end short in such a horrific way. I've pretty much avoided "Thrill" rides at amusement parks ever since.

Generally you're safe at the major amusement parks but I'd be wary of these Fairs that are here today gone tomorrow or any place that looks like they may cut corners.

Triumph

Banned
glistenm said:
Pfft, with 2 million and stubs, I'd find the freakiest bitches I could to DP.

I don't think it can get better than that.
This guy knows what's up. Nothing quite like seeing a girl stump ****ing an amputee in a live sex show. That's where the real money is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom