• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gizmodo: 15 current technologies your newborn son won't use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhx

Theaters should have died off 5 years ago. If they all closed shop tomorrow I wouldnt care.

So you only watch art house and indie movies? The theater model drives movie budgets. I shudder to think what would happen to movie budgets or cable/vod prices if theaters suddenly disappeared.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
This I could see happening maybe, but I'd hate it. Physical buttons are perfect for channel surfing: no need to take your eyes of the screen. The touchscreen interface works for tablets and smartphones because your input is in the exact same place as your output. This isn't the case with a television remote control.

apple approach will be no physical buttons.

what i would want is physical buttons as well.

but i see the "tablet" thing hooked up to your cable service more than your tv.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's to say there won't be separate touch screen devices that are accurate & act as mouses in the future?

Because it would have been invented by now. I need evidence, not faith.

I work in the engineering field and I've seen very early tech used to read commands from nerves. This will be the ultimate user interface - a direct line to the brain.

The traditional desktop layout maybe still around for some jobs but at the same time I can see main interfaces being the same throughout all different web devices with a screen made by the same company. Windows 8 is starting the trend. Creative designers may possibly make job-oriented tasks work smoothly on various devices that don't use a current day traditional desktop interface.

Part of the reason why computers replaced typewriters in the workspace was due to good/innovative interface design.

It's not about smooth, it's about multitasking. How the hell is metro going to handle having a dozen of apps open, many of which with multiple tabs open? I need to see many of these windows simultaneously to interact between office/email apps, view code changes, etc.

He's just saying that he can't see his son using certain technologies in the future. A good number of people still use CRT TV's yet there are kids who have never seen a CRT TV before.

Like I said before, typewriters are still being used to this day at jobs yet there's many kids and teens that have never seen one in person. People not jumping on board to a popular tech device or trend doesn't automatically mean that the majority of kids in the future will still see that device or trend happening.

This is a faulty analogy. CRTs are beaten in cost, rendering geometry, power usage, physical size by new technologies. Typewriters are used in a very niche market that doesn't have to do with function really.

The mouse and keyboard are unsurpassed. Nothing is close to it's precision and speed. Your analogy breaks down because you insist an unknown will beat the mouse, while other mature technologies have already replaced the CRT/typewriters.

Children eventually get jobs, and schools prepare them for those jobs. Kids will learn how to type.

krae_man

Why would 'dedicated' camera's become obsolete?
The average digital camera, perhaps, but no smartphone will ever replace a professional camera

You must not have read anything that wasn't bolded

"DSLRs and micro four-thirds cameras will remain with us, but within a few years, the average consumer won't own a dedicated camera at all."

The movie theater? I hope not. I actually enjoy seeing new releases on a giant screen with a group of people.

This! It may be expensive as hell at times, but it just feels right to "honor" a big new release by going to the movies with a bunch of good friends and just relax for a few hours outside your home.

Maximus.

I could see movie theaters disappearing. They are getting way too expensive and I know a ton of people who will not go to as many movies as before, and usually try to go on the cheap nights. If I am unsure of a movie, I will wait to rent/buy it because it makes more sense than paying the price at the theatre.

aktham

Wired Home Internet
Agreed. More connections will be wireless as more people are using laptops

Dedicated Cameras and Camcorders
Will become more obscure, won't go completely away.

Landline Phones
Will become more obscure, won't go completely away.

Slow-Booting Computers
Agreed

Windowed Operating Systems
I don't see this happening anytime soon. It's called "Windows"

Hard Drives
Not going away. Magnetic drives will go away, but SSDs will become the new standard

Movie Theaters
Depends, but I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

The Mouse
Mouse is here to stay.

3D Glasses
3D as a whole needs to go away and will.

Remote Controls
Remotes might be replaced by voice commands.

Desktops
Will become more obscure, won't go completely away. More people are using laptops.

Phone Numbers
Phone number will be around for a very long time

Primetime Television
Losing popularity, won't go completely away.

Fax Machines
Fax is still relevant?

Optical Discs
Blu-Ray (they support up 200GB) will be here a while and I don't think there will be a another "standard" optical disc.

fallagin

Wired Home Internet

probably for the average end user, yes.

I think there will likely be some kind of market for super high end recording devices.

Landline Phones

Pretty likely.

Slow-Booting Computers

This depends on what the computer is loading up.

That would suck.

Hard Drives

Yeah pretty likely

Movie Theaters

Ehh, I can't say

The Mouse

Please no, the mouse is simply superior to touch in so many ways.

3D Glasses

Sure

Remote Controls

Maybe, no strong opinion.

Desktops

Perhaps, like he says though they will remain for heavier tasks and probably enthusiast gaming.

Phone Numbers

Well, who knows.

Primetime Television

I could see this.

Fax Machines

Yep.

Optical Discs

Yep.

Loofy

On 3D glasses disappearing.. that might just be a few days away..
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/14/dolby-labs-and-philips-unveil-dolby-3d-tech-want-to-deliver-gla/
Dolby 3D is being demonstrated at the NAB Show (April 16–19, 2012) at booth SU1212.
  • Delivers a spectacular, vivid, and clear 3D picture
  • Works on any 3D TV, tablet, laptop, or smartphone
  • Automatically optimizes 3D content for the specific device and screen size
  • Upgrades half-resolution to full-resolution 3D (for both glasses-free and traditional glasses-based 3D)
  • Lets viewers sit anywhere in the room for great 3D, rather than in one small area
Dolby 3D is the answer that consumers have been looking for, addressing all the barriers that have slowed 3D acceptance, from viewer discomfort to poor picture quality. And like our technology in the cinema, Dolby 3D for devices provides the best 3D picture “from any seat in the house.”
Dont get your hopes up though.

Bgamer90

Banned
Because it would have been invented by now. I need evidence, not faith.

lol... that's a pretty shortsighted way of looking at things especially when it comes to tech.

"No that won't be available in the consumer market 15 years down the line... it would already be invented if it was true."

I mean, the improvement and increase of touch controls isn't far-fetched at all.

I work in the engineering field and I've seen very early tech used to read commands from nerves. This will be the ultimate user interface - a direct line to the brain.

I've seen tests in person of that as well with the brain being used to control what goes on in an interface. I think to say that that will 100% be the "in" thing years down the line is kind of too much. That's not to say that it can't possibly be true.

It's not about smooth, it's about multitasking. How the hell is metro going to handle having a dozen of apps open, many of which with multiple tabs open? I need to see many of these windows simultaneously to interact between office/email apps, view code changes, etc.

So multitasking shouldn't be smooth? (fyi, I was talking about multitasking as well)

Anyways, there may possibly be improvements in the future in terms of interface design that will help with that. Don't see how/why it can't ever be possible.

This is a faulty analogy. CRTs are beaten in cost, rendering geometry, power usage, physical size by new technologies. Typewriters are used in a very niche market that doesn't have to do with function really.

The mouse and keyboard are unsurpassed. Nothing is close to it's precision and speed. Your analogy breaks down because you insist an unknown will beat the mouse, while other mature technologies have already replaced the CRT/typewriters.

Don't see how it's faulty (I was talking about how not everyone jumps on to a new technology).

Some of the reasons why you stated the technologies have been replaced may be exactly the same as to why newer technologies in the future may replace what's new now.

I never insisted that an unknown will beat the mouse. All I'm saying is that one day a good number of people may use another way of interacting instead of the mouse. It's not about insisting, it's more so about having an open mind about what might happen 15-20 years from now.

Children eventually get jobs, and schools prepare them for those jobs. Kids will learn how to type.

I never said that people wouldn't need to learn how to type.

Bgamer90

Banned
Which would re-introduce the need for a mouse, because nobody wants to raise their arm to tap a screen all day,

Which is why I continued on talking about it in my post.

and this:
... would be much less efficient and intuitive than a mouse.

Really?

Grabbing the touch screen device while it's down on the table with 4 fingers and using your ring finger to move the pointer across the mounted tablet screen seems like it would work to me.

I'm all for innovations in UI replacing current standards, but for prolonged periods of efficient, multitasking working, the keyboard+mouse (some people also swear by a trackball) combo is perfect. Any replacement UI would need to be a lot more efficient, both in accuracy and comfort of use over the long term. Touch and gesture is not that UI innovation.

So what I stated above wouldn't be accurate and comfortable to use over a long period of time?

It would be the same effort as holding and moving around a mouse, it's just that your ring finger would move more than your hand (instead of the vice versa when using the mouse).

baekshi

Banned
No way that the discs will go away. What the fuck?

Who would want to download a 50/100GB movies, and who will be offering that big movies?

Kind of late to the party..but..

Wired Home Internet
So much internet traffic is video and that's only growing. Driving the need for more and more bandwidth. I think that widespread fiber to the home is more realistic instead of just wireless which is subject to a whole lot more kinds of interference.

Pretty sure dedicated camera's and camcorders will be around in some form. I wouldn't want my smartphone for everything; its good at most things but master of none.

Landline Phones
Business or Personal?

VoIP has and is replacing a ton of old POTS lines. But we still see backup lines for saftey and backup purposes for VoIP systems. For the personal consumer I can see it going away. I already moved over to just a cellular number and no landline.

Slow-Booting Computers
Moore's Law in full effect, we are already seeing fast boot times. I think as more tablet become more mainstream in day to day tasks people will expect the pretty much instant on and ready to go. Virtualization is becoming better and better. Businesses are seeing that and some have shifted to move a lot of business applications and servers to virtualized environments. Desktop computing is not too far behind. Either a thinclient/zeroclient, or even integration with a tablet. Tablet Dock/Monitor/input devices but less hardware to purchase. Perhaps even an option to have the user bring their own and use it to work eliminating the need for the business to purchase. Maybe not today but in 15 years its a real possibility.

No way this is disappearing. I see more of a shift. Virtualization (O/S Inception!)
How we use will change for sure but a type of operating system is still going to be there.

Hard Drives
Not going away. less moving parts with SSD. Where else did you think you were going to save all your pr0n and music? The cloud?

Movie Theaters
No way. It's fun to go out to the theater sometimes especially IMAX films. Not everyone can afford a monster sound system, cinema sized screen, and the anger of neighbors in apartments/condos etc.

The Mouse
Hard to say. I hope it goes away sometime in favor of computing surfaces like that desk in...crap can't remember that movie. As a trackball user I hope everyone converts to that instead ;)

3D Glasses
gimmick...go all the way to holographic technology please.

Remote Controls
home automation is going to get cheaper and easier to install and I can see a lot of new homes with systems installed. Pretty sure voice commands or hand gestures will be the "wave" of the future.

Desktops
not going away. power users will still have them. But I don't think they will be as popular as laptops/tablets.

Phone Numbers
No way these are going away entirely. An easy way to remember a unique ID to dial you is still required.

Primetime Television
I think studios will create Primetime content but people will consume it when they want.

Fax Machines
I hope they go away.....soon.

Optical Discs
As mentioned before that Blu-ray would be the last. I agree with that. It's a good stop gap for awhile until fiber is everywhere. After that why? I can download it faster than going to the store to buy it. The movie/music industry needs to change though, I can see them dragging it out for a really long time..

Aesius

No way that the discs will go away. What the fuck?

Who would want to download a 50/100GB movies, and who will be offering that big movies?

Lol. I bet 10 years ago you would have said the same thing about people streaming HD content. Physical media will be gone by 2020.

Dhx

Lol. I bet 10 years ago you would have said the same thing about people streaming HD content. Physical media will be gone by 2020.

Please explain. ISPs and content distributors will not make this remotely possible in 8 years.

You realize a majority of the people can't stream HD content in the US right? Their broadband speed isn't fast enough.

Al-ibn Kermit

You just put the paper in and dial a number? And if you need to sign something, you just do that and send it back. Scan, email and print, repeat process versus just putting the paper back in the machine and redialing. Hmmm.

They should make a "fax machine" that lets you both use email and and the phone connection to send the documents. The advantage of email is you get an electronic copy you can view anywhere.

Dialing a phone number is not any faster than typing an email address. But just sliding in a papers you want to send is better than opening and closing a flap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom