• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

iFirez

"This game is about Kratos teaching his son how to be a god, and the kid teaching Kratos how to be human again."

I can't believe I am so excited for a God of War game.
Yeah that's the best premise ever. Also Chris Judd as Kratos is going to be badass.

Desmond

Sounds soo good. Still not sold on the title haha. What ever will they call the sequel? God of War 2 to differentiate it from II?

GLAMr

Wow, I'm really curious about how the kid mechanic is going to work. I just assumed from the first trailer that the kid would die/get kidnapped to start Kratos on a rampage.

I am now keen for Dad of War.

Never played a God of War before, and the gory and "bro" hack and slash never really interested me... but so far everything they've presented about this new iteration appeals to me.

What a time ...

edit: oh It's a necro? Never saw that thread before. Good read. :)

The God of War series is about as far from a "Bro" series as you can get.

Its great they are finally adding emotion into god of war, the relationship felt real.
Santa Monica already ham fisted that sort of 'emotion' into God of War 3 with the Kratos&Pandora relationship and it was damn awful and jarring, something everyone seems to have forgotten. I have 0 confidence in them managing to pull it off in this game, particularly for the entirety of it. They are obviously emulating The Last of Us, IMO for the sake of it rather than their own agenda or because it fits the Franchise.

Also people claiming that Santa Monica and Sony are taking a risk by taking the game from a niche and dying genre and turning it into yet another Third Person cinematic action game with the usual checklist of mass market Features (Crafting? Check. Slow Walk and Talk sequences? Check. RPG Elements? Check. (Semi)open world? Check.) do make me roll my eyes.
But it is going to pay off for them because the mainstream is going to Love it as it is No longer "Held back" by the more niche genre Gameplay. Not what I wanted as a character action and Hack n' slash Fan that loved the old GoW games and it's sad to See yet another fun Genre die Out in favor of Mass Market homogenization, but that's how it is.

Santa Monica already ham fisted that sort of 'emotion' into God of War 3 with the Kratos&Pandora relationship and it was damn awful and jarring, something everyone seems to have forgotten. I have 0 confidence in them managing to pull it off in this game, particularly for the entirety of it. They are obviously emulating The Last of Us, IMO for the sake of it rather than their own agenda or because it fits the Franchise.

Also people claiming that Santa Monica and Sony are taking a risk by taking the game from a niche and dying genre and turning it into yet another Third Person cinematic action game with the usual checklist of mass market Features (Crafting? Check. Slow Walk and Talk sequences? Check. RPG Elements? Check. (Semi)open world? Check.) do make me roll my eyes.
But it is going to pay off for them because the mainstream is going to Love it as it is No longer "Held back" by the more niche genre Gameplay. Not what I wanted as a character action and Hack n' slash Fan that loved the old GoW games and it's sad to See yet another fun Genre die Out in favor of Mass Market homogenization, but that's how it is.

I had to go look up who Pandora is and I played GoW 3. And I still can't for the life of me remember anything worthwhile about that character...

So no, I don't think it's nearly the same sort of emotion. The gameplay demo was better than anything in GoW 3 by a long shot.

And let's actually see some hack and slash gameplay before writing it off. It could very well end up being the deeper more satisfying game via its combat system. Not that that's a particularly hard bar to pass. The GoW series has always been simplistic.

Alchemy

I had zero interest in the game before, I was kinda hoping God of War would just stay dead forever but this sounds kinda interesting. I guess I'll keep an open mind.

I of two things gonna happen with this franchise.

SPOILERS

Son gonna die, and we spend the rest of the game going ape shit with Kratos so he has a reason for his rage (since it was kinda lost by the third act of the first trilogy), and Kratos came off kinda like an asshole without the purpose from the first game.

Or Kratos gonna die, and the son takes over the series thus paving the way forward for wherever they decide to take the franchise as they no longer would have much baggage with Kratos other than this kid wanting revenge, or just to not follow in his footsteps, yet bing, bang boom...shit goes down, and apple doesn't fall far from bloody tree.

Interesting. Im actually glad GoW is taking this direction, because really it was always a pretty okay action game and not much more in that regard.

It's understandable to be excited about the story because it might be the second time in the franchise we might get a good one.
So story comes before gameplay?

I mean, we all know that's how the majority feels. But there are multiple mediums for a story -- you can only obtain gameplay and this level of interaction in one.

Not like video game stories have ever been good anyway. A few exceptions to the rule, however.

So story comes before gameplay?

I mean, we all know that's how the majority feels. But there are multiple mediums for a story -- you can only obtain gameplay and this level of interaction in one.

Not like video game stories have ever been good anyway. A few exceptions to the rule, however.

I like good stories in games, there are a lot of them. And yes, I like gameplay too that's why I like video games over other mediums, talking about one aspect doesn't negate another. I can't talk about gameplay, art direction, sound, music, voice acting, animations, level design, etc, every time I mention story because someone might feel left behind.

I like good stories in games, there are a lot of them. And yes, I like gameplay too that's why I like video games over other mediums, talking about one aspect doesn't negate another. I can't talk about gameplay, art direction, sound, music, voice acting, animations, level design, etc, every time I mention story because someone might feel left behind.
I could not disagree more about there being a lot of good stories in games, but fair enough.

Last response to the thread because I am off-topic.

Top Bottom