• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

bigjig

Personally I much prefer this new take on God of War, rather than just a rehash like what MS is doing with the new Gears

Raptor

So we still have brutal combat, puzzles,Gods, mythical creatures and Kratos but its not God of War somehow.

And insane set pieces.

Somehow a more intimate personal journey with his son and a different camera angle and all the sudden is not GoW.

SMH

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
The relationship between Kratos and his son seems to be reminiscent of Vinland Saga with the two sharing a Thors and Thorfinn like relationship and I see the game turning out the same way as the manga.

OléGunner;207098665 said:
This is my dream evolution to GoW that I didn't even know I wanted.
As a fan of all previous 6 games, I love this new direction SSM has taken.
Yeah, this definitely has me interested in God of War again.

Finally a GoW game that I'm actually interested in playing. Thank gawd for this massive shakeup, it really needed it. It does seem like they're setting him up to die at the end like nate retiring etc.

Bring us Son of War .......... in 2021 :p

vpance

Hope the story is very interesting and well written, because I can see there being a TON of downtime and walk and talk with this "one take" approach.

Altairre

So instead of improving on that, better to steer off completely.

If it works then why not. The chances of them overhauling the combat are slim if they had just made a sequel in the vein of GoW 1-3. I'll take this over just another GoW. We also still don't know if the combat in this will be worse than in the previous games.

Raptor

MYOuG6q.gif

This isn't the Kratos of old.

You can clearly see Cory's feelings in this particular scene after his child was born, Kratos wants to confort his son but in doing so he thinks he will make him weak so he doesnt, a feeling fathers have, hits home too.

I feel this game will be incredible.

I was not a GoW fan but everything I hear about this game makes me want to play it. I'm assuming that's exactly what they were going for with this game.

Timeaisis

Well, this is a very different game than the previous ones. Not that it's a bad thing or anything. Sounds interesting.

I'd need to see a little more before I'm sold, but so far so good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sounds fantastic, Thats how you take a old game and make it fresh unlike "cough" RE7
Also can someone confirm thats Christopher Judge doing Kratos voice?

Illucio

Banned
Sounds very different.

It's not a bad change whatsoever, they completed changed the formula but they replaced it with something completely different but just as good it seems like.

But I won't know for sure until I play. Impressed on how they are handling change though, most companies with a huge franchise struggle with that.

Gojeran

Might be the first time I've been excited about GoW since I played three. GoW 1/2 and Ghost of Sparda were some of my favorite titles but I'd long since stopped caring. This demo really surprised me I was expecting more of the same just prettier, happy to be wrong.

I don't want crafting in God of War. I can deal with "RPG" systems depending on what that means, and everything else sounds fine to awesome, but I'd rather not worry about that type of shit in God of War. Hopefully it's mostly inconsequential.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It never was a great character action game. God of War was always more about the spectacle and I say this as somebody who has more or less enjoyed the series. With the way GoW3 ended it makes sense to change things up. There will still be combat and there will still be spectacle. It's way too early to judge how the combat will play out from the bit of footage we got.

Anyway, I'm glad they were able to get me interested in a fourth God of War game.

It wasn't as good as DMC or Ninja Gaiden for combat, but it was a well-rounded game, which those are not. It had a good story (for the time), incredible visuals and spectacle, good level design, a well-paced mix of combat, traversal and puzzles. Nobody managed to make a GOW clone anywhere near as good as GOW and then people stopped trying and now nobody is going to make that kind of game.

GOW didn't have the depth of its Japanese counterparts but its action was still very fluid and beautifully animated. The first thing that stood out to me in this new demo is that the combat didn't look much better than Hellblade. That's a problem.

rdytoroll

Played GoW 1-2 here and there at friends at few years ago and played GoW 3 on the PS4 recently. I kinda got bored of the same old hack n slash at the end of GoW 3. So excited for the direction and the setting they went with. The father son interactions remind me so much of The Last of Us. Can't wait for more gameplay, please be a Holiday 2017 game

Imagine levelling up both Kratos' and his son with near gear and weapons to really customise the combat.

I can imagine being part way through a combo, mashing the 'son button' to shoot an arrow into a monsters knee, setting me up for a cool finisher.

In essence, I reckon he'll be part of the combat system - upgradable and customisable - while also serving the story well.

It's hard to tell an interesting story when the main character is by themselves all the time.

Drencrom

Really loving the sound of this, also glad to hear that we will play as Kratos and bond with his son through out the game instead of some bait and switch death at the beginning of the game.

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.

Good, very good.

It wouldn't be a God of War game if it didn't have Kratos beating up beasts/gods and crazy setpieces.

I will say Im glad they got away from the blades of chaos. That thing has had a chokehold on combat design for half a dozen games now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Can´t wait to murder my enemies while my son watches

He was already watching plenty in the demo.

Hell, they walked by a giant naked troll hung upside down by his ankles with his crotch region torn out.

Please tell me you guys arent expecting fairy tales and lu la bys?

JamesAR15

Saw him picking up the wood and stuff in the demo and had a good feeling there was some RPG elements in this. I'm fine with it as long as it's not over the top.

The troll fight seemed true to form GOW and was fantastic.

TripOpt55

Sounds pretty cool. I thought the demo was neat. I am open to changes after six games. I'd be curious how they will handle setpieces/platforming and stuff with the over the shoulder view. The combat looked pretty good with it still. I like the move to Norse and what they are doing with the Kratos character. Graphics look phenomenal. Really looking forward to seeing more.

Strike

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.
Good. People should give it a chance. Barlog directed the best game in the series to date. It's in good hands.

FelipeMGM

I love the way Cory talks about this game, and the changes were one of the best surprises of E3 so far

Still not clear if its a sequel, reboot or another universe kind of thing tho

Voror

Loving the sound of all this. It's probably a given but I hope they have some of those giant set pieces from the other games. I always loved the Temple of Pandora from the first game and how you'd reach points where you'd sort of see just how far and massive the place was.

Top Bottom