• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 thread (impressions, interviews and new info)

vegeta101

Banned
So I was thinking if the mountain in the background used to be Olympus, and now the new Norse gods have moved in and turned it into valhalla.

Also don't God of war games usually release around March?

MaxHouse

Banned
Please no....:(

The last meeting between the serpent and Thor is predicted to occur at Ragnarök, when Jörmungandr will come out of the ocean and poison the sky.[8] Thor will kill Jörmungandr and then walk nine paces before falling dead, having been poisoned by the serpent's venom.[8]
substitute Thor for Kratos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jörmungandr

Brocken

Banned
It's just me or new Kratos is Mendez (RE4) ?

Mendez-750x422-1.jpg

The last meeting between the serpent and Thor is predicted to occur at Ragnarök, when Jörmungandr will come out of the ocean and poison the sky.[8] Thor will kill Jörmungandr and then walk nine paces before falling dead, having been poisoned by the serpent's venom.[8]

No need to spoiler the Norse mythology, it is common knowledge.

At some point I want to make a new thread about that topic, including an overview of potential candidates for epic boss fights.

Well, after a few days, I've accepted this new God of War.

After 4 games (and the few PSP games) with the same formula, camera, quick story, and fighting system, I welcome this new God of War.

The story seems very interesting, the fighting seems brutal still, I just hope that the over-the-shoulder camera works well for this game. As well as have big, epic moments like all of the God of Wars before.

Memento

So I was thinking if the mountain in the background used to be Olympus, and now the new Norse gods have moved in and turned it into valhalla.

Also don't God of war games usually release around March?

Yes, they always release in March. I do have a feeling this one will be a Holiday title though.

No need to spoiler the Norse mythology, it is common knowledge.

At some point I want to make a new thread about that topic, including an overview of potential candidates for epic boss fights.
It's a good idea.
There is a thread about norse mythology. You can post there.

I read about norse mythology today, it's pretty awesome. I don't know that much, though.
Cool bosses.
Midgard Sperpent
Dark Elves. Somebody could sent a dark elve to Kratos when he's sleeping and he could have a nightmare sequence. Excellent way to show his relationship with his son (his son could die in the nightmare)
Frost Giants and Utgard Loki, their leader
Fire demons

Pretty epic shit.

You can include the weapons, like Thor's hammer and belt.

If the third game in norse mythology is about Rangarok, it will be a carnage.

I dont know if this has been posted in here yet, i saw it the other thread

ClCzupdUgAA5gZU.jpg:large

I spotted it when I did the grabs that are in the OP, I decided it was just an Arrow Quiver. I'd love to be wrong.

That moving thing at the end I 100% did not see. I hope its Jörmungandr

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, the Midgard Serpent could very well be using that Titan tech that they used with Cronos/Gaia/Snakes(Ascension). Not sure if it would be the same level of epic with the new camera system and no breaks, but I'm definitely interested.

MaxHouse

Banned
Hmm, the Midgard Serpent could very well be using that Titan tech that they used with Cronos/Gaia/Snakes(Ascension). Not sure if it would be the same level of epic with the new camera system and no breaks, but I'm definitely interested.

I didn't play Ascension..so can you explain more what the Titan tech was?

Malice215

I want to thank the people who pointed so many things out from the trailer. Definitely missed Jörmungandr chillin in the background.

Still not feeling the combat on the shoulder buttons, but I'm excited to see where they take this game in the Norse mythology. I still love the gameplay of the previous games, but a change is needed after the way Ascension turned out.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I didn't play Ascension..so can you explain more what the Titan tech was?

Well, according to one of the Unchained (Behind the Scenes) videos they released, they were using the titan/moving level technology, one they formulated with GoW3, in Ascension's Snakes of Delphi sequence. Was pretty cool. Maybe they'll make use of the same tech for this game, but upgraded and way, way more awesome.

Great job everybody. Love the idea of the giant snake and the hint in the background and in the omega. Also great with the visualisation of the upgrades on the weapons. I think the three empty slots on the axe are for diffrent elements which bring diffrent special attacks.

cd16d8c645f8b64c26ed1fe660ad4ace.jpg

I knew he was big....I posted this a few posts back

but I didn't know he was THAT big.. i thought he just encircled the norse realm not the whole planet

he also have a brother. Fenriz or fenrir that big wolf who is all chained up by this magic chain named Gleipnir ("deceiver" or "entangler"). It looked like a silken ribbon but was made of six magical ingredients: the sound of a cat's step, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, bear's sensibility, fish's breath, and bird's spittle.
He is also pretty big managed to eat the sun and the moon during Ragnarök.

VinFTW

So, after a few days now, I think this is probably my game of the show.

A lot of close calls though.

At first I was upset... It's not God of War, it's just not, BUT... I'll appreciate it for what it is.

I just hope there's lots of action and not so much stop and go.

he also have a brother. Fenriz or fenrir that big wolf who is all chained up by this magic chain named Gleipnir ("deceiver" or "entangler"). It looked like a silken ribbon but was made of six magical ingredients: the sound of a cat's step, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, bear's sensibility, fish's breath, and bird's spittle.
Chasing the wolf while it chases the moon would be pretty cool. Also, we would need a chariot for that. Maybe we could take Thor's or Sol's or Mani's. Maybe we could take Svalin as a weapon, too.

gamerMan

I don't know what to think about this reboot. On the one hand, it looks incredible, but on the other hand it feels like it takes all the control away from the player. It's Uncharted 4 all over again with lengthy walking segments where the only interactive bit is pushing forward on the joystick. Skill and gameplay takes a backseat to telling a story. All it needs are crates or planks to help build out the relationship between Kratos and his son.

Even the battles take control away from the player with heavy scripted battle sequences that look like they complete themselves. Yes, it looks cool but much of the gameplay has been stripped away to make it more cinematic. It will be interesting to see how it comes together but right now I am torn.

MaxHouse

Banned
I don't know what to think about this reboot. On the one hand, it looks incredible, but on the other hand it feels like it takes all the control away from the player. It's Uncharted 4 all over again with lengthy walking segments where the only interactive bit is pushing forward on the joystick. Skill and gameplay takes a backseat to telling a story. All it needs are crates or planks to help build out the relationship between Kratos and his son.

Even the battles take control away from the player with heavy scripted battle sequences that look like they complete themselves. Yes, it looks cool but much of the gameplay has been stripped away to make it more cinematic. It will be interesting to see how it comes together but right now I am torn.

It's not a reboot...its a continuation from God of War 3 many years later...Kratos is still a Spartan etc.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I'd be surprised if the game was full of segments like this, this looked like a very early (tutorial-esque) segment, i doubt it'll be like that for the entire game. I think this slice was picked because they wanted to get the point of the father/son dynamic across.

ColdPizza

Banned
Wow, this looks incredible, and even more I love Norse mythology almost as much as Greek mythology.

Seems very Last of Us-ish to me, but that's okay.

The first time we see Kratos with a beard, I thought he looked like Jeff Bridges in Iron Man

Bridges.jpg

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope a lot of the visuals and style from the concept art leak not too long ago is in this, including boat riding.

Blobbers

I am fully on board now. Something just clicked when I saw that Jörmungandr gif. Man, this game is gonna blow our asses off.

Fury451

Banned

Kinda seems like a potential/logical direction to take the series.

Soft reboot, play as Kratos, then either kill him off to replace him with the kid or put him in a mentor role as you take over the kid in the future.

KC Denton

The wolf that eats the sun is the son of Fenrir, not Fenrir himself. Also the sun and the moon are gods in this mythology. Fenrir is still very big but not Titan scale in most interpretations I've seen. Certainly smaller than the Midgard serpent.

KC Denton

what exactly is a "soft reboot" i hear many people call this new GOW a "soft reboot"
A soft reboot is a reboot that maintains continuity with what has come before, but reintroduces the property to a new audience without having the expectation that they have played the previous games.

MaxHouse

Banned
A soft reboot is a reboot that maintains continuity with what has come before, but reintroduces the property to a new audience without having the expectation that they have played the previous games.

I just want Kratos to remember that he is a Spartan...and that despite moving to Scandinavia he will always be a Spartan

KC Denton

I just want Kratos to remember that he is a Spartan...and that despite moving to Scandinavia he will always be a Spartan
I don't expect the writers to come back to Spartan stuff too much. Ultimately, a Spartan in Scandinavia has about as much meaning as a samurai in Mexico, and would take too much away from the current setting trying to explain it.

Wow, this looks incredible, and even more I love Norse mythology almost as much as Greek mythology.

Seems very Last of Us-ish to me, but that's okay.

The first time we see Kratos with a beard, I thought he looked like Jeff Bridges in Iron Man

Bridges.jpg

I think this is my only real complaint with the new GoW so far. Why are you here, Jeff Bridges, and what have you done with Kratos?

MaxHouse

Banned
I don't expect the writers to come back to Spartan stuff too much. Ultimately, a Spartan in Scandinavia has about as much meaning as a samurai in Mexico, and would take too much away from the current setting trying to explain it.

Of course...I don't think it will be an important part of the story

but Kratos is still a Spartan, he still carries that tradition by wearing the greek omega symbol on his back

I could see some passing lines, like if the kid looks down on himself, Kratos could say "don't dissapoint me, your half spartan" and the son would be like "what's a spartan"

stuff like that

Top Bottom