• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

Eliciel

I originally wanted to sleep at 00:30. We started playing, girlfriend, dog and myself. My goodness even the dog couldn't resist the first scenes :D. We ended up playing until 01:30.
I was shocked by those first hours. It is seriously a 100 in my books in the first hour. I have never witnessed something like that before.

Let's see what happens from here...

I just did a small test on God of War On LG 4K OLED TV With HDR ON . The graphics is just amazing on LG 4k TV C6 . Let me know what do you think guys ?

Could you PN me your settings for HDR on the LG. ? I have the exact same set and I have not yet find the perfect settings..
Thanks!

Sorry for double post. Just saw this on Youtube

I cried.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
Just picked up from Redbox and finished the patch. Now to see if all the acclaim was warranted.
i watched the final boss fight and ending on youtube last night. Not impressed with the writing; voice acting is atrocious, graphics look nice but the mouth animations and facial expressions on characters are sadly poopy poor. imo.

Last edited:

Eliciel

i watched the final boss fight and ending on youtube last night. Not impressed with the writing; voice acting is atrocious, graphics look nice but the mouth animations and facial expressions on characters are sadly poopy poor. imo.

to be honest after ~16:00 hours of the game being out, going on-line on YouTube watching the final boss fight and ending, saying it is poopy poor and attrocious voice acting and being not impressed by the writing.
Think about what you wrote for a second: So, you entered a video plattoform and watched the final fight of a game and the ending of a game you haven't played or witnessed in any way and you are actually reviewing the game, O, Rly?

Is this a troll post or did anything happen from 00:00 - 16:30 in your life that would explain the actual amount of completely garbage comment I am reading? How r you reading books usually?
You read the endings?

Last edited:

Manus

Yeah I watched a lot on YouTube that's why I Redbox it. I really just want to know if they fill in a lot of gaps from the last game till now.

nowhat

So umm, let me get this straight - you watched the ending to a story, and as such are able to judge the entire story?

Edit: as an example, one can look up the final cutscenes of Yakuza 0 from Youtube, and sure, they'll not make a whole lot of sense or be emotionally impactful. But when they are within the context of what has happened so far... yeah, it's a bit different. Rather impactful, I'd recon.

On a personal level, so far Chistopher Judge has absolutely rocked his role. But this is coming from someone actually playing the game, instead of watching an ending cutscene from Youtube.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
I have some things I wanted to say about this game. After a playing it for a few hours.

Are we allowed to say spoilers in these threads if we use spoiler tags?

Dubloon7

Banned
So umm, let me get this straight - you watched the ending to a story, and as such are able to judge the entire story?

On a personal level, so far Chistopher Judge has absolutely rocked his role. But this is coming from someone actually playing the game, instead of watching an ending cutscene from Youtube.
to be honest after ~16:00 hours of the game being out, going on-line on YouTube watching the final boss fight and ending, saying it is poopy poor and attrocious voice acting and being not impressed by the writing.
Think about what you wrote for a second: So, you entered a video plattoform and watched the final fight of a game and the ending of a game you haven't played or witnessed in any way and you are actually reviewing the game, O, Rly?

Is this a troll post or did anything happen from 00:00 - 16:30 in your life that would explain the actual amount of completely garbage comment I am reading? How r you reading books usually?
You read the endings?

so umm, let me get this straight - you think just b/c i disliked Krato's voice acting in the 20 minute video that pushes the entire game down the drain? get off of your high horse. his grunting and DEEP DOWN SINGLE WORD SPEECH VOICE ACTING (using his crap voice skills) are atrocious to listen to. his yelling and screaming is decent, but speaking "BOY" over and over again and other single words in a deep voice are horrid. game is presented nice with nice graphics, but the facial animations as described are not.

boo hoo (T_T) someone dislikes what you like. LOL

O, Rly

edit: forgot question mark

Last edited:

You read the endings?

Doesn't matter what it is, someone, somewhere will say the writing is trash and acting is atrocious.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

You read the endings?

I don't understand how skipping to the ending is enjoyable for anyone, but it's whatever floats their boat. I hate knowing how everything turns out because I can't get excited if the ending takes away from what I already know about the game.

With how big of a budget video games have and the fact that most of us pay $60, spoiling everything so soon sounds like a waste.

Again, it's whatever floats their boat. Video Games seem to still carry that stereotype with them in 2018. Even if there are award ceremonies and press events explaining things with much better prose and pronunciation than I.

Spoiler culture is one of which I want to never be part of. From my experience those who spoil games come off as not being too happy about the product in general.

Maybe it's about having patience. I was told I had ADHD as a kid and I was on meds. But I didn't like for things to be spoiled.

It goes back to that old saying, "you can't judge a book by its cover". Someone should add, "you shouldn't jump to the ending so soon".

I will say this. The game is beautiful. It's definitely different, but that's because of how Kratos was in the past. We loved this guy way before 2018. This game however, is very good. It's definitely very well made.

I love how Kratos throws his axe. I thought Dark Sector was going to be in my mind forever, but this is a ton of fun.

Last edited:

nowhat

boo hoo (T_T) someone dislikes what you like. LOL
Uhh. Nice projection there, perhaps you should consider starting a drive-in theater, but that's not what I said. Rather, for you to dismiss a 30+ hour (or on harder difficulties, 50+ hour) game based on a 20 minute clip is just intellectually dishonest.

Also. For you young padawans out there. Ending your sentence with LOL doesn't mean you won an argument. It just means you ran out of things to say. Which is not good.

Dubloon7

Banned
Uhh. Nice projection there, perhaps you should consider starting a drive-in theater, but that's not what I said. Rather, for you to dismiss a 30+ hour (or on harder difficulties, 50+ hour) game based on a 20 minute clip is just intellectually dishonest.

Also. For you young padawans out there. Ending your sentence with LOL doesn't mean you won an argument. It just means you ran out of things to say. Which is not good.
ending in LOL does not constitute that there is nothing else to say. LOL. I am laughing at your mindset and smh. you expect someone to write a novel every time they respond to your idiocy? no thanks. the game looks like it plays well, and the mechanics work well, but his voice acting is the worst in the 20-minute fight and ending that i watched. if i dislike how the main character speaks then i will gladly NOT shell my $ to the AAA cog. i'm not going to repeat myself over and over again, how i dislike his voice acting. move on.

I accidentally saw some spoilers from the final boss (fucking youtube) and I'm like "that's it".

But I'll be picking up the game before work irregardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

nowhat

ending in LOL does not constitute that there is nothing else to say. LOL. I am laughing at your mindset and smh. you expect someone to write a novel every time they respond to your idiocy? no thanks. the game looks like it plays well, and the mechanics work well, but his voice acting is the worst in the 20-minute fight and ending that i watched. if i dislike how the main character speaks then i will gladly NOT shell my $ to the AAA cog. i'm not going to repeat myself over and over again, how i dislike his voice acting. move on.
*insert John Oliver "cool"-shrug here*

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But to base it on the last 20 minutes of a game that runs many hours is just stupid.

As an example, take the ending of TLoU. On a personal level, I think it is among the best endings in a video game ever. But in and of itself, without context - there's no point to it whatsoever. It's the story of what's happened so far that makes it work. I haven't watched the ending to this on Youtube, nor have I the desire to - I'm quite enjoying playing it and will rather find out for myself. But to judge an entire product by just watching the ending cutscene... "LOL", I guess.

Hotspurr

Banned
I have a backlog that I estimate will take 150-200 hours to complete. Thinking whether to let this game bypass it.

How good is the gameplay? I am a big bloodborne and souls fan, and particularly care about intricate combat and timing. I also like secrets and having zones where you are underlevelled and can get your bum handed to yourself. Story is nice but I don't care for "cinematic" experiences unless there is a lot of mystery to the world. Eg. I hated uncharted 4.

For those who adore bloodborne and souls, is this game on the same level in terms of consuming your thoughts, or nah?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Anybody having this shit, updated 1.18gb or whatever it is, then 6 gb . Its done both 4 times, won't start.

ZiriusOne

OH MAN, ain't that great. Amazon said the game would arrive today but.....it didn't. Fantastic! Delivery on release day? More like delivery 1 day after release.

ycQYTMh.png

DanEON

Guys. Do you think it's worthy to play gow3 before gow 4???
Ive read through story of the first two games. Now I don't know if I read the story of the 3 or if I play the game.

WaterAstro

Amazon just never stocked on the game sadly. Gonna have to get it full price. Probably will just pick one up at Bestbuy.
Ive read through story of the first two games. Now I don't know if I read the story of the 3 or if I play the game.
Just get a TLDR. The story isn't exactly complex.

Kagero

So what's the thought here for pro owners with 1080p TVs? Prioritize performance or resolution. The digital foundry guys say play on resolution because frame rate is locked at 30 fps while performance is uncapped but fluctuates too much. I'm hearing a lot of people on here say play on performance though. What's best? I'm cool with 30 fps, but I can't stand fluctuating frames. Is performance mode really that bad?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So what's the thought here for pro owners with 1080p TVs? Prioritize performance or resolution. The digital foundry guys say play on resolution because frame rate is locked at 30 fps while performance is uncapped but fluctuates too much. I'm hearing a lot of people on here say play on performance though. What's best? I'm cool with 30 fps, but I can't stand fluctuating frames. Is performance mode really that bad?

Performance. I mean if 30FPS is ok I'd go with that, but sitting back from the TV while I notice dips, it still feels a lot better wiwth 40-45 FPS.

Performance mode for sure.
There's literally no point in rendering this game over 1080 on a 1080 set, and 99% of console gamers won't even notice the framerate fluctuating. Hell, I'd wager most modern PC gamers can't tell framerate either without a FPS counter lol

Last edited:
Which is why Bloodborne, a technically (but not always) 30fps game (but like a poster child for frame pacing issues) was so universally praised for smooth performance?
Framepacing is an entirely different beast, but nice try. And yes, I'd wager most console gamers didn't notice that either until they watched a DF video. ;)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I don't think so. Play this first. It plays so much different than the previous games. It's good, but comparing it to the first couple games is a mindf*ck. This is an amazing game. I also loved III. I can't even think about III at the moment.

That opening scene from III all the way until the end in itself it's own masterpiece of sorts. This new God of War is probably the best game in the series. It's hard saying that because it doesn't play like the other games at all.

The plot in God of War 2018 is like a new life for Kratos. It's a completely new dimension or world.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Anyone know if you can sell artifacts before completing the set?

Yes you can.

So after playing the game for about 3 and a half hours I must say that the game is ultra slow paced. Nothing really happened in that time. Three and a half hours into any other God of War game meant you were already in the thick of it for the last, well...three and a half hours. This just feels way too much like Tomb Raider + The Last of Us that goes nowhere. Maybe the game picks up later but I miss the breakneck speed of the previous games where everything explodes all the time.

Last edited:

nowhat

Framepacing is an entirely different beast, but nice try. And yes, I'd wager most console gamers didn't notice that either until they watched a DF video. ;)
In my personal experience, with or without DF - I'll much rather take a locked 30 instead of something hovering in the mid-40s. So yeah, prefer the "bling" mode*) definitely so far, but granted, this is on a 4K screen.

*) and oh my $DEITY is there bling. The game looks insanely good.

Last edited:

Kagero

Performance mode for sure.
There's literally no point in rendering this game over 1080 on a 1080 set, and 99% of console gamers won't even notice the framerate fluctuating. Hell, I'd wager most modern PC gamers can't tell framerate either without a FPS counter lol
Oh no you di'int :p

Vawn

Banned
I'm only a few hours in. The game is solid and well polished, but it's feeling too much like Naughty Dog of War.

Sony exclusives are great, but too many are feeling as if they're made by the same team - Uncharted, TLOU, The Order, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone.

I mean I love the "press triangle by that wall to get into a boosting stance to lift your partner up on a ledge then wait as they run over to knock down a ladder" mechanic as much as the next guy, but even I have my limit.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
I'm only a few hours in. The game is solid and well polished, but it's feeling too much like Naughty Dog of War.

Sony exclusives are great, but too many are feeling as if they're made by the same team - Uncharted, TLOU, The Order, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone.

I mean I love the "press triangle by that wall to get into a boosting stance to lift your partner up on a ledge then wait as they run over to knock down a ladder" mechanic as much as the next guy, but even I have my limit.

Crap. This is what I was afraid of. Guess I'll backlog it when it hits the $20 bin.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Easy question before I play this game?

So I would like to know is definitely if this game is a bonafide sequel to GoW3?

If so is that discussed in detail, essential to the plot or is there but not matter?

Manus

Finished the first two bosses. Game is gorgeous. I don't see how people are saying the first two bosses are so epic and grand. Well rather the second one with the Stranger. IMO the boss openings of the other games are so much more grand and epic.

The boss with the Stranger felt like one big cutscene.

mcz117chief

Finished the first two bosses. Game is gorgeous. I don't see how people are saying the first two bosses are so epic and grand. Well rather the second one with the Stranger. IMO the boss openings of the other games are so much more grand and epic.

The boss with the Stranger felt like one big cutscene.

The Stranger fight is the most fun part of the first 4 hours of gameplay though, at least it was to me, the game just drags and gets boring so fast... I need any kind of stimulation at this point, nothing is going on, I am borderline regretting my purchase.

nowhat

It's great that you're able to judge games that are not released yet, and won't be this year either. Any lottery numbers you'd like to recommend?

Vawn

Banned
It's great that you're able to judge games that are not released yet, and won't be this year either. Any lottery numbers you'd like to recommend?

You don't see a Naughty Dog influence from all the footage we've seen from Days Gone? I'm not saying how good or bad the game is, but a comment about the style of gameplay.

Top Bottom