• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is building a (not so) secret Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Rumors have been swirling for months that Google has big wireless plans, possibly including a partnership with Dish, which hasn't been shy about telegraphing its intentions to build a cellular LTE network. Now, the pieces may be falling into place: Google is planning to build a secret wireless network on its Mountain View campus.

According to FCC filings spotted by wireless engineer Steven Crowley, it's a pretty hefty test: Google says it will use up to 50 base stations and 200 "user devices" (perhaps Android smartphones?) during the experimental period. Intriguingly, the temporary wireless network will operate in two narrow slivers of the 2.5GHz frequency band, which just so happens to be the territory of Clearwire — the same Clearwire which Dish is trying to purchase.

Now, Google's no stranger to crazy experiments, and not all of them will necessarily change the world: for every self-driving car and wearable display, there's an army of employees working on personal engineering projects. But it doesn't sound like that's what's happening here. When Google's lawyers sought to have parts of the FCC filing redacted, their argument was this: "The information for which confidential treatment is sought concerns the highly competitive consumer electronics market." Italics added for emphasis.

Both Google and Clearwire declined to comment to The Wall Street Journal.

Google Wireless, shut up, and take my money. About time someone gave Verizon/AT&T a run for their money.

From the WSJ article:

First, the facts: Google last week submitted an application to the Federal Communications Commission, asking for an experimental license to create an “experimental radio service” with a two-mile radius covering its headquarters.

According to the application, first spotted by wireless engineer Steven Crowley, Google said it would be using wireless frequencies that are controlled by Clearwire Corp., a wireless broadband provider. That means the frequencies are part of what’s called “licensed spectrum” and can be more reliable than Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is unlicensed, meaning it can be used by anyone.

Google currently doesn’t have control of licensed spectrum.

“The only reason to use these frequencies is if you have business designs on some mobile service,” Crowley said.

tokkun

It's possible they just need a sandbox network for testing OTA updates or other experimental features without having to go through the carriers.

Cipherr

Only available in select neighborhoods.

docR9Vk.jpg

DAT MSPAINT!

This sounds more like an expansion of a testing lab. I think they would just buy a wireless carrier like Sprint and expand it if they wanted their own network

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How long until Google fiber is available outside of the Kansas'?

Who knows. We don't even know what city/cities are next. Maybe NYC since they have had job listing here, and they brought a building recently.

This sounds more like an expansion of a testing lab. I think they would just buy a wireless carrier like Sprint and expand it if they wanted their own network

Sprint would've cost them half their cash reserves.

daw840

It really sucks living less than ten miles from where google fiber already is but not being able tiger it because they aren't in my neighborhood!!!!!

andycapps

Uh, Sprint already bought Clearwire. Not that this wouldn't be great if/when Google does this, but they'd have to go to Sprint to try to purchase/lease some of Clearwire's spectrum for that area. Which is very possible, Sprint doesn't need all that. Clearwire has tons of it, that's why Sprint wanted them.

sangreal

Uh, Sprint already bought Clearwire. Not that this wouldn't be great if/when Google does this, but they'd have to go to Sprint to try to purchase/lease some of Clearwire's spectrum for that area. Which is very possible, Sprint doesn't need all that. Clearwire has tons of it, that's why Sprint wanted them.

that deal hasn't completed and dish outbit Sprint. but Sprint does already own a majority stake in Clearwire, so yeah...

andycapps

that deal hasn't completed and dish outbit Sprint. but Sprint does already own a majority stake in Clearwire, so yeah...

It's not that simple. Dish offered a higher bid, but the terms are significantly different and Clearwire already has a legal obligation to Sprint since they already owned a great portion of the company and their debt.

The only thing that's going to happen here is that the Clearwire investors that are pissed off about not getting enough out of Sprint's original terms are going to get a little bit more when Sprint has to cough up a little more money. A lot of people thought this would happen anyway, Dish isn't going to get Clearwire.

I very much hope that this is using the new super long range wifi signals to create a wifi network that can service not only urban but semi urban areas as well, that's the sort of thing that could be rolled out nationwide much much quicker than google fiber

I am totally on board for this, provided it has decent coverage in rural areas.

I live in a major city, but I'm in the country enough that I can't deal with massive gaps in coverage. Anything T-Mobile-esque or worse is a no-go for me.

gutshot

Sounds like Google wants their own LTE solution so they don't have to be saddled with carrier restricted updates to their phones (*cough*Verizon*cough*).

snacknuts

we all knew her
I would happily pay whatever my ridiculous ETF is with Verizon to be able to sign up with Google Wireless today.

andycapps

I am totally on board for this, provided it has decent coverage in rural areas.

I live in a major city, but I'm in the country enough that I can't deal with massive gaps in coverage. Anything T-Mobile-esque or worse is a no-go for me.

It'll be hard for them to get great coverage in rural areas unless they expand beyond 2.5 GHz band that they're talking about. Indoor penetration is worse than something operating on a lower frequency. Both of the above is why Clearwire only really ever put much effort into urban areas, towers are too far apart in rural areas.

Not saying Google couldn't do it, and I hope they do eventually.. But they'll have to spend some major cash to buy/lease signal spectrum all over the country.

gcubed

i have no idea about wireless tech, whats the normal range for a radio in that frequency, the report says they are working on experimental tech with a 2 mile radius. that seems small

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
i have no idea about wireless tech, whats the normal range for a radio in that frequency, the report says they are working on experimental tech with a 2 mile radius. that seems small

Link.

The physics were simple. The lower bands provided greater signal coverage from a single cell site. But for data, there are actually advantages to the higher bandwidths. Interestingly, ATT is now exploring options in 2.3 Ghz.

The U.S. telcos appear to be evolving toward a model in which they will use the lower bands for voice and the higher bands for data transmission including video, streaming tv and cable programming.

SimleuqiR

They weren't really aggressive, though, were they? Surely they could have outbid any of the Telcoms if they truly wanted something.

It was intentional. Google is sneaky like that.
Now they seem to be moving their chess pieces to become and ISP and a wireless carrier.

Both these industries should be shaking in their boots.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm ready to sign a not so secret blood pact with google for my wireless service, cable tv service, car service, map service, all service.

I am ready to be able to sit in a google chair and ride around like the fatso's on Wall-E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom