• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 • Coming on PS3 Holiday 2013

dano2469

Banned
Demo didn't impress me that much. And if they can't get rid of the studder slowdown that's in the demo and that was in GT5. I can wait till the PS4 version.

MGR

Hill climb course is fine and all, but it seems like a lot of modelling effort for a point-to-point course that can only run in one direction that lasts about one minute.

So they chose Silverstone, Brands Hatch and Goodwood. Disgusting.

The Cadwell / Oulton Park dream is dead in the water :(

I remember this from old Toca games along with Snetterton and Croft, but to be honest, i didn´t really loved anyone of those.

I think Brands Hatch is a very good choice.

*runs*

As for the hill climb, it´s smaller than GT2´s Pikes Peak.

Hopefully we will get the full version in GT6.

i11BcrPoPPausuH.jpg

i1atfBgdvvu2mTH.jpg

Kazzie please!!!

Who's going to Goodwood, Nofi? VVV? Ask if these will be drivable in GT6.

amar212

I pointed out earlier in this thread about one very interesting prospect for GT6 that has being discovered - in terms of beautiful connecting the dots - by GTPlanet member CarBastard.

In his thread he is laying the foundation to point out various details about extremely possible inclusion of the famous Ascari Race Resort.

- Ascari Race Resort is in the very vicinity of the city of Ronda and Gemasolar solar-power plant, both announced for the GT6

- he found out Spanish website that clearly says the following under the title "Ronda and Ascari to be included in Gran Turismo 6":

Last summer a team from Sony made of at least fifty people of Japanese nationality travelled to Ronda in order to take images of the track and facilities at Ascari and the main monuments in the city, like the Puente Nuevo ("New Bridge") or the Plaza de Toros ("Bullfighting Arena"). They flew over the locations in a helicopter which could be seen today in the promotional video made public trough YouTube. The game also includes a virtual visit to the Ascari Circuit facilities and, according to the franchise, the improved track-maker tool will offer incredible landmarks that will include, among others, the Ronda mountain range."

- he found out another source that have additional weight, which also mentions PD taking pictures, videos and detailed informationa bout Ascari circuit and Ronda with video-intervew with Melchor Durán, Director of Operations at the Ascari Race Resort, who said the following:

..According to Durán, the participation of Ronda in this project was decided took place last summer during a visit from Kazunori Yamauchi, the legendary creator of Gran Turismo. He visited the circuit (Ascari) and got to know Ronda itself, he then left a signed contract that materialized last summer with an impressive filming in Ronda that, in the circuit alone, took more than 86,000 pictures..

- in that same interview Melchor Durán gives hopes how main release-event for Gran Turismo 6 will take place in Ronda or on Ascari circuit where he presents hope they will able to organize enough capacities for the "...400 reporters from around the world would have to spend a whole week here for the reveal".

Orignal GTPlanet thread: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=283849

I still wonder why that thread haven't reach the GTP frontpage nor has picked up more interest.

Ascari Race Resort official page: http://www.ascari.net/

About the Track:

Ascari is the longest track in Spain, and “one of the most spectacular in the world”.
The full circuit is 5,425 metres long, with a consistent width of 12.2 metres. It can be sub-divided into three different sections or combina- tions, enabling separate events or aspects of driver training to be run simultaneously.

The 26 corners of this anti-clockwise circuit are divided into 13 right- hand and 13 left-hand turns, offering a balanced course for both the driver and the vehicle. Variety ensures a good mix of tight bends and sweeping curves. To further challenge both car and driver, the track includes bends with up to 18% banking, 12% ascents and descents, and demanding chicanes.

Ferrari 430 Challenge at Ascari Track onboard video >> http://youtu.be/eU1-Zyd-76Y

* deliberately moved rear-view mirror is great detail

Ascari Race Resort Track map:

Track-Laps.png

ruttyboy

"Last summer a team from Sony made of at least fifty people of Japanese nationality travelled to Ronda in order to take images of the track and facilities at Ascari and the main monuments in the city, like the Puente Nuevo ("New Bridge") or the Plaza de Toros ("Bullfighting Arena"). They flew over the locations in a helicopter which could be seen today in the promotional video made public trough YouTube. The game also includes a virtual visit to the Ascari Circuit facilities and, according to the franchise, the improved track-maker tool will offer incredible landmarks that will include, among others, the Ronda mountain range."

Now I have an image of 50 Japanese guys crammed into and hanging from a helicopter flying around taking pictures...

I pointed out earlier in this thread about one very interesting prospect for GT6 that has being discovered - in terms of beautiful connecting the dots - by GTPlanet member CarBastard.

In his thread he is laying the foundation to point out various details about extremely possible inclusion of the famous Ascari Race Resort.

- Ascari Race Resort is in the very vicinity of the city of Ronda and Gemasolar solar-power plant, both announced for the GT6

- he found out Spanish website that clearly says the following under the title "Ronda and Ascari to be included in Gran Turismo 6":
Sounds amazing! I once drove from Malaga to Ronda and if the track environment if anything like that mountain road I am all for this. (Can't watch youtube where I am right now.)

Ronda is also a an amazing old city located on two peaks divided by a narrow ravine. The last Moorish stronghold IRC. Some nice photo mode locations there. Recommend everyone to go there IRL.

Hill climb course is fine and all, but it seems like a lot of modelling effort for a point-to-point course that can only run in one direction that lasts about one minute.
It's another example of why GT is not like other games. Few studios would make the effort, but Polyphony appreciate the historical significance.

I can see Goodwood being the new Top Gear Test Track for online free roaming. Going to be fun :) Its also going to be hard to race on as the track is so narrow.

The Ascari track is completely sick. They cherry picked the best corners from tracks all over the world, and made a circuit out of it. I'd love to see it in.

saladine1

Sounds amazing! I once drove from Malaga to Ronda and if the track environment if anything like that mountain road I am all for this. (Can't watch youtube where I am right now.)

Ronda is also a an amazing old city located on two peaks divided by a narrow ravine. The last Moorish stronghold IRC. Some nice photo mode locations there. Recommend everyone to go there IRL.

Actually, Granada was the last Moorish bastion.
Al Andalus is an amazing place. I traveled there last year. The route in and around Ronda is full of beauty.
Ok, the urge to go again is now rising...

amar212

The Ascari track is completely sick. They cherry picked the best corners from tracks all over the world, and made a circuit out of it. I'd love to see it in.

To be honest, they only named "resembling" corners by the real-world *siblings* on Ascari track.

What you describe has been properly done only by Porsche, on their famous Leipzig course.

SMS modeled it for the pCARS but they had to pulled it down before publishing, even under fake name. It was suppose to be part of the cancelled "Automaniax" demo-game too. I did not.

One day there will be a game with the Leipzig course. It will be interesting to see which game will it be.

To be honest, they only named "resembling" corners by the real-world *siblings* on Ascari track.

What you describe has been properly done only by Porsche, on their famous Leipzig course.

SMS modeled it for the pCARS but they had to pulled it down before publishing, even under fake name. It was suppose to be part of the cancelled "Automaniax" demo-game too. I did not.

One day there will be a game with the Leipzig course. It will be interesting to see which game will it be.

Oh yep, I see. Either way, every time I see footage of it, I've been really impressed with the layout.

Yeah, Leipzig is very cool too. Porsche can't properly manage having their cars in games, let alone their tracks.

BADNED

Not really! It is actually one of the many ProStreet assets they got from EA during their SHIFT intermezzo and then decided the keep some of them for the future. ;)

BTW Leipzig Test Track was featured in NFS ProStreet.

amar212

Not really! It is actually one of the many ProStreet assets they got from EA during their SHIFT intermezzo and then decided the keep some of them for the future. ;)

BTW Leipzig Test Track was featured in NFS ProStreet.

Thanx for this info B, I didn't know that, much appreciated.

What a gigantic facepalm regarding NFS ProStreet. Okay, I can completely understand why I didn't know about it. I do not even feel guilty :)

What an utter waste of the license. I still can't comprehend why Porsche does not bail out of the deal once and for all.

BTW Badned, what is going on with the Forza 5? There was no single news after E3. Why? Do you have any insgiht about issue with this-gen (Fanatec) X360 wheels and their use on Xbone/FM5?

RankoSD

What an utter waste of the license. I still can't comprehend why Porsche does not bail out of the deal once and for all.
Seeing all those car trailers from PD I can't believe what Porsche is missing, EA probably screwed them on one point in the contract which Porsche might have overlooked, who knows...

saladine1

Thanx for this info B, I didn't know that, much appreciated.

What a gigantic facepalm regarding NFS ProStreet. Okay, I can completely understand why I didn't know about it. I do not even feel guilty :)

BTW Badned, what is going on with the Forza 5? There was no single news after E3. Why? Do you have any insgiht about issue with this-gen (Fanatec) X360 wheels and their use on Xbone/FM5?

Yeah, good luck getting an answer.

jabuseika

Or Porsche is indifferent about it?

Porsche got their EA money, pretty sure they don't care.

It's a missed opportunity for them, since they are missing out on exposure the best selling racing game in the world can give.

I always believed that part of the reason Mitsubishi became popular in the West was due to all the gamers that grew up with Gran Turismo.

amar212

Mistubishi has specifically credited GT with the Evo's popularity in the west.

So have Ford, Subaru and TVR - and those are ones I can recall.

TVR's message on their official site back in the late 90's/early 2000's had a special part talking about importance of being in Gran Turismo games (TVR, Aston Martin, Dodge and Chevrolet are only non-Japanese marquees that are present in all Gran Turismo games since 1997 IIRC).

peaking of which, it will be damn interesting to see what will happen with TVR now when brand has been re-launched and have a passionate new owner who is again British.

I still miss Sagaris on the list of GT TVR cars and I still have hope it will show up one day. TVR's are my favorite cars in all GT games and I hope SCEE will find some mutual moments with the new owner - especially considering how Kazunori much is fond of the TVR marquee.

saladine1

I guess you can credit GT for a multitude of cars being made popular in the west.

I don't know about TVR though. It has become the town bike. Everyone has and wants to have a ride. It'll need quite a resurrection in order to be taken seriously again..

hesido

Does anyone know if we can set a deadzone for pedals? In GT5 when I bought it, it didn't have such a feature.

The problem comes from the fact that my logitech wheel frequently does a 1-2% brake even when not pushing on the brakes. (The brakes auto-calibrate in GT5, when you only press half way, it registers full, once you do a full press and return, GT5 re-adjusts itself.)

My problem is that that 1% brake is a game breaker. If I could set a slight deadzone, it would be gone. They say it is a hardware problem with the logitech wheel pedals, but it's a problem that is very easy to solve through software. Any recent patches on GT5 for pedal deadzone?

It's also really easy to solve in hardware. Just open the pedal base, clean them up, and/or make sure the meters are still securely in place (they may have moved a bit, it can happen also when someone has been a bit violent pressing the brake). Should be youtube videos on how to do it. You get some kind of auto-calibrate in GT just by unplugging the wheels and plugging them back in, that alone solves the problems for a bit sometimes, but cleaning up the pedal base should solve it permanently.

I have the same issue. I just unplug the usb and put it back in. It's quick and easy(but annoying) trick. I don't want to risk opening up my pedals.

injurai

Banned
Have they said anything on how they are improving the UI and Menus? It is such a pain to have to go check race requirements, then go get your car from the garage, then go into the tuning menu, then go get the oil changed, then go back to the race menu to find out you have some PP issue and you need to delimit your power, then finally get back to the race only to find out out you have a shitty gear ratio and get pull away for shit in straight aways...

I hope they rethink navigation a ton.

Have they said anything on how they are improving the UI and Menus? It is such a pain to have to go check race requirements, then go get your car from the garage, then go into the tuning menu, then go get the oil changed, then go back to the race menu to find out you have some PP issue and you need to delimit your power, then finally get back to the race only to find out out you have a shitty gear ratio and get pull away for shit in straight aways...

I hope they rethink navigation a ton.

All those, also they should tell us on the dealer select screen what country a dealer is.

hesido

It's also really easy to solve in hardware. Just open the pedal base, clean them up, and/or make sure the meters are still securely in place (they may have moved a bit, it can happen also when someone has been a bit violent pressing the brake). Should be youtube videos on how to do it. You get some kind of auto-calibrate in GT just by unplugging the wheels and plugging them back in, that alone solves the problems for a bit sometimes, but cleaning up the pedal base should solve it permanently.

Thanks, I'll definitely open the pedal base. The USB plug / unplug was something I did, it fixes half of the time but after 10 minutes the problem returns, half of the time. Enough to warrant that risk. The funny thing being, I had sent the wheel back to support, they sent me back a replacement pedal, but from a different and cheaper model). It had the same problem :)

But it's very strange, I don't understand why there's no deadzone setting in GT, it is completely optional and could be hidden under an advanced options page.

Zen

Banned
Wheels are expensive and not everyone has space for one.

And even if you get a wheel, you need the proper setup around the wheel to make it feel right.

I know there are a lot of people in this thread that have been dissapointed by the trade-offs of GT^ and the demo, but I've been having a blast with it. The new physics and suspension balancing make the simple act of driving feel so much better than GT5, which is what it's all about really. I couldn't stomach playing GT% for very long because of how static it all felt but I'll be picking up GT6 day one. I even like the decision to use QxAA if it means getting the lighting engine currently in place.

Top Bottom