• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed - just £120 for a Jaguar XJ13

The pricing model is nonsense though. One car should not cost anywhere near that kind of money. Like a few bucks here and there for those willing to pay for their time is one thing but to have a car worth 100+ dollars is madness.

It's the same problem in Fifa Ultimate Team. If you want Ronaldo you need like 200 dollars worth of fifa coins and in that game grinding is essentially impossible.

Orca

It's a good thing the game has a thousand cars and almost forty tracks. And that the payouts range into the hundreds of thousands for seasonal events.

Not to mention the game will be releasing 28 DLC cars over the next few months, all of them free.
How long will it take to buy all those cars though. Let's keep the same "stringent" requirements as people had for Forza - buy every car and do nothing but starter races to earn money lol

panty

is there still a credit limit like in GT5? that was dumb

No, that's gone.
I like how people are saying they are ok with this because they supposedly didn't change the grind or credit gained or whatever.

It's maybe less shitty than the other guys, but it's still shit.

The grinding is still the same as it would be without micros. I'm totally okay with this. They didn't design the economy based around the micros.

otapnam

some logical sane person will make a comparison thread where they show how long it takes to make credits in both games and what it takes to get the most expensive car in each through in game credits without MT

mclem

So anyway, it seems the game itself is unchanged, which is good and way better than the pile of shit F5 appears to be, but....for me that's like the difference between a plain, steamy pile of turd and a steamy pile of turd with a tophat. Yeah it's nicer, but both of them can go suck an egg.

Isn't it more like the difference between a plain, steamy pile of turd and a steamy pile of delicious chocolate pudding which - from certain angles - does kinda look like a turd. But that's dependent on how you look at it, because it still *tastes* like delicious chocolate pudding.

phuturist

Banned
Man I just played AC4 and I noticed there's like an option to pay 2 bucks so you don't have to grind for something in the story mode. These things have been around for a while but Forza is one of the first games that I know where they actually changed the game to accommodate it. I'll gladly ignore that money grab and grind if it's the same grinding I was doing 5-10 years ago before all this.

ACIV is a case where I was really pissed off when I looked at the "DLC", aka moneys, tons of moneys, on the Playstation Store, but when you actually play the game, nobody annoys you and you forget about it.
The Multiplayer is less subtle in that regard and I don't like it.

KarmaCow

As long as the economy is not affected, which it doesn't seem to be, what's the problem?

Just putting it into the game does affect the economy. There is now an alternative where you can spend money to save time. You can play FFVI without ever using Vanish+Doom but that broken mechanic is still there and it's always in the back of your mind as you're playing.

But I was mostly just laughing at the spin because it's so bad.

test_account

XP-39C²
I never really understood the big complaining about these things. I could see it if the game was designed in a different way to make these microtranscations a "must have", but this doesnt seem to be the case in GT6 (and maybe it wasnt in Forza 5 either?). Since GT6 is a sequel, its easy to compare this to previous games and see if there are done any changes in the game design regarding this. If there isnt, what exactly is the complain about?

Jezbollah

Lots of people not reading the OP it seems.

Looks like GT6 is very much like GT5 in the way it awards cars etc. This is unlike Forza that no longer does that - earning money is way less cynical in GT6 that it looks to be in FM5.

Not defending the microtransactions in the slightest, but I do want to point out how Eurogamer's math is a little faulty.

The PlayStation Store updated today with the prices for these. They are as follows:

500,000 In-Game Credits (£3.99/€4.99)
1 Million In-Game Credits (£7.99/€9.99)
2,500,000 In-Game Credits (£15.99/€19.99)
7 Million In-Game Credits (£39.99/€49.99)

The video, below, showcases GT6's cars and reveals one of the top priced, the Jaguar XJ13, which costs 20 million credits. You can grind for it in traditional Gran Turismo fashion or you can buy it straight away if you drop £119.95 - that's the total you pay for two packs of 7m credits, two packs of 2.5m credits and one pack of 1m credits.

See, I'm just not sure why you'd drop £119.95 for exactly 20 million credits, when you could buy 3 "packs" worth of 7 million credits for £119.97, giving you 21 million credits total. It seems like they used the £119.95 example for more dramatic effect, despite the fact that the message would have been equally received using a more expected £119.97 price.

The title of this topic makes this seem more sinister than it actually is.

GT5 had uber expensive cars that you had to grind to reach as well....hell, I might be mistaken but I can remember grinding for expensive cars in EVERY GT game.

The only difference between this and what GT6 is doing is that GT6 gives you the option to pay your way to the uber expensive cars without the grinding.

Now if there were cars that were in the game but strictly behind a paywall, then it would be a much bigger issue.

it's positive that the game economy doesn't seem to be fucked in favour of microtransactions, but it's still shameful that they're charging so much money just in case you don't feel like grinding for credits.

Yes. Not only that but the big packs don't even really have a "discount."

This stuff costs way too much. Shouldn't be ok.

ironcreed

Banned
I like how people are saying they are ok with this because they supposedly didn't change the grind or credit gained or whatever.

It's maybe less shitty than the other guys, but it's still shit.

Yeah, it is kind of hard to see this from a lesser of two evils point of view. I don't care how much more content is there or if you can earn as usual or not. The fact of the matter is that it is there, it's disgusting and microtransactions have no place in a $60 game. Especially with this kind of pricing.

I'm glad that they didn't alter the progression of the game immensely, but I still strongly feel that these types of transactions shouldn't be a part of a full-priced game. I shouldn't feel inconvenienced or have to go out of my way to acquire a virtual good in a game I already purchased.

Even if there may have been no harm in this version of GT, like there wasn't in the previous Forza, we've seen where this route leads game design. Eventually these microtransactions will affect the game's balance and developers will be motivated to decrease the credits that players can earn freely to motivate them to purchase extra credits.

Even if you don't support the microtransactions, and even if you don't purchase them, they will effectively affect your experience sooner or later. If you don't take my word for it, please take Jim Sterling's.

phuturist

Banned
Isn't it more like the difference between a plain, steamy pile of turd and a steamy pile of delicious chocolate pudding which - from certain angles - does kinda look like a turd. But that's dependent on how you look at it, because it still *tastes* like delicious chocolate pudding.

That....yeah fine. Alright. Although I do think we are stretching my poor comparison a bit further than is healthy.

jet1911

Most expensive car in GT5 was 20m, just like it is here. You could win the most expensive cars, you could grind the offline matches and take forever, or grind the seasonal events and buy the car in just a few hours.

It's the same economy in game, just with the option to buy credits. That's all.

That's cool then, thanks.

panty

It's gross imho.

Why the fuck does it matter? It seems the game isn't giving me any pop-ups or notifications about buying credits so I'm totally 100% fine with this.

Most expensive car in GT5 was 20m, just like it is here. You could win the most expensive cars, you could grind the offline matches and take forever, or grind the seasonal events and buy the car in just a few hours.

It's the same economy in game, just with the option to buy credits. That's all.

QFT

Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.
Why is this part not bolded?

If it's the same shit as in previous GTs then it's probably fine. Unless you had a problem with it previously, of course.

Nafai1123

Banned
That pricing is ludicrous. If the fundamental game remains unchanged (rewards for winning, prize cars, etc) then I don't really have a problem with it though.

Servbot24

Banned
If it can be played as the series always has been, then I really don't care if a couple rich kids out there will buy the difficult to get cars.

As long as the design isn't built around microtransactions it doesn't really matter for this particular game.

People who are defending this disgust me.

Allow me to continue to disgust you even though I have no interest in GT as a franchise. If you read the posts in this thread, you will see people have stated that you still unlock cars by completing races and that you can accrue millions of credits in 15 minutes.

Feel free to be disgusted by me.

Espada

Remember when getting tons of credits or skipping levels was a cheat code?

I remember when you could unlock cheat codes by beating the game or doing something else. Or checking out the cheat code section in a magazine and trying them out in-game.

Now what used to be earned in-game is now paid DLC.
Before we'd earn the ability to cheat. Now we pay to do the same.

And people say this industry isn't sick and exploitative.

Metfanant

No, that's gone.
well thats good...at least i can grind some money...and frankly grinding never bothers me in GT games...it makes me all PS1 nostalgic and shit for some reason lol

The grinding is still the same as it would be without micros. I'm totally okay with this. They didn't design the economy based around the micros.

im NOT totally ok with this, but its the lesser of two evils when compared to how Turn 10 did things...its a real f'ing shame either way and i dont like it one bit...

That pricing is ludicrous. If the fundamental game remains unchanged (rewards for winning, prize cars, etc) then I don't really have a problem with it though.

impressions at gtplanet have mentioned that it is in fact easier to get credits in gt6's career mode than in gt5's career mode

Dragon

Banned
How long will it take to buy all those cars though. Let's keep the same "stringent" requirements as people had for Forza - buy every car and do nothing but starter races to earn money lol

Forza had day 1 paid DLC didn't it?

QaaQer

I still really want GT6, but this stuff has absolutely no place in a $60 game. Car packs for around $5 I can see, but trying to get people to pay upwards of over a $100 in-game after paying $60 is just insane, as well as disgusting. I don't care if you can earn as usual or not. If they can't make enough from $60.00 a pop and some decent DLC, then this industry is seriously broken.

It is skeezy.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Not going to buy this now. I really hope Driveclub is not more of the same. We need to put a stop to this nonsense this gen. Starting out pretty bad. I don't want pay to win to become the new normal like day 1 dlc did.

Top Bottom