• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed - just £120 for a Jaguar XJ13

panty

This is only bullshit if they deliberately set back regular credit accumulation in order to nudge players into paying for additional credits.

So until that is confirmed I'll reserve judgement I guess.

It says in the op they haven't.

It's disgusting that there can be in-game payments of up to £40. We need a new name for this bullshit, because microtransaction is not a fitting name any more.

I hope Drive Club is not hampered with the same shit.

h3ro

Seems like they left the economy from GT5 intact. Seasonal event and career payouts along with gift cars make this a non-issue for me. Making credits in GT games has never been too much of an issue. (Thanks bspec bob!!)

Edit: good lawd people, read the damn story!

Loris146

This is good so no one will use it. I love grinding and the economy works like GT5 so there is no real problem here.

Sucks that it's in there, but as long as they didn't gimp event payouts to try to encourage micropurchases it doesn't bother me a lot.

MaDKaT

Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

I really think this should be highlighted in the OP. It looks like this will be the same old GT but with the option to buy a car with real money if you want to.

This has also been corroborated by those who have the game early. At least so far as to what is open.

Marchiott

Options. Why would we want options?

It's really hard to say until the games are into people's hands and they figure out whether or not the rate of progression really is comparable to GT5 or not.

I recall in GT5, the offline events had meagre payouts that made it rather tough to get those treasured F1 vehicles. However, the online-only events paid handsomely.

Espada

This shit is going to kill gaming. Micro-transaction are one thing on a free or 99 cent game but on full priced $60 games it's terrible. The worst part is it's not because it's just extra money. You CAN'T ignore it because they build the game around these fucking micro-transactions. Like taking over 500 hours to get the cars in Forza 5 without paying extra.

How long until RPG's have one class and 3 unlockable classes? How long until the next bih FPS is just so insanely hard you're forced to buy extra shield power or better weapons? This is worse than always-online, this is worse than DRM, this is literally game breaking unless you fork out more and more money.

Oh yeah, it's only a matter of time until this infests full price titles as a whole. At first it'll be like this, relatively benign. But as you said, soon the devs are going to get orders from higher up to make the game onerous to play without forking over cash to grease the wheels.

I really think this should be highlighted in the OP. It looks like this will be the same old GT but with the option to buy a car with real money if you want to.
It appears no different than Forza.

Grind to get your choice cars or grind them out. Though having a thousand cars to choose from as you progress makes grinding for them much easier than if you only had a couple hundred.

Mario007

Luckily I wasn't able to get to the store in the minute it took. The one time I'm glad teleportation hasn't been invented yet.
Just in case it will be invented in the new future, I recommend reading the whole OP in the future before nerd rage.

rschauby

Banned
Sticking with Wii U and PC this gen.

Nintendo not getting any 3rd party love is starting to make more sense now.

Or is micro-transactions a first party "exclusives" thing?

So, based on the earnings/payouts in GT5, how long would it take someone to get 20million credits?

When I was still playing around a year ago, using the seasonals, a 15-minute race yields 4 million. So that's 1h15m for a good 20 mil.

If you're rusty/a beginner though, 20 mil takes about 3 hours with the seasonals.

If the economy remains this way, I've no problem at all with the microtransactions

phuturist

Banned
Handhelds, Nintendo and board games FTW!
I hope you don't want to play Fire Emblem then! Buy the XP Grind Map DLC! It's actually called that way too!

So anyway, it seems the game itself is unchanged, which is good and way better than the pile of shit F5 appears to be, but....for me that's like the difference between a plain, steamy pile of turd and a steamy pile of turd with a tophat. Yeah it's nicer, but both of them can go suck an egg.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks the prices are high because I don't want to see gamers getting easy money without any effort.

So if they want a fast way to get a expensive cars... open the wallet.

bud

Options. Why would we want options?

It's really hard to say until the games are into people's hands and they figure out whether or not the rate of progression really is comparable to GT5 or not.

I recall in GT5, the offline events had meagre payouts that made it rather tough to get those treasured F1 vehicles. However, the online-only events paid handsomely.

it's positive that the game economy doesn't seem to be fucked in favour of microtransactions, but it's still shameful that they're charging so much money just in case you don't feel like grinding for credits.

Tsundere

Banned
So they charge you a lot of money if you want to "cheap out" (lol) instead of playing the game and earning the rewards normally.

hort22

so you can play the game just like previous games and win credits to purchase cars, right?

so what is the problem with this...if you dont want to use your real cash for cars, then don't.

SmokyDave

Bollocks. I reckon I'm sitting this one out for the time being. I just can't dig this trend and I'd rather be playing my PS4 anyway.

Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.
Eh, I'll wait and see what GAFfers say.

Stike

Fuck this shit.

Can we have a DLC/MT rating in reviews which alerts readers that they are being ripped off? First reviewer to do this earns my eternal gratitude.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
When I was still playing around a year ago, using the seasonals, a 15-minute race yields 4 million. So that's 1h15m for a good 20 mil.

If you're rusty/a beginner though, 20 mil takes about 3 hours with the seasonals.

If the economy remains this way, I've no problem at all with the microtransactions

why would someone pay £120 to avoid playing the game for 3 hours? None of this makes sense to me.

panty

So this is a bunch of fuzz over nothing then? OP should properly adjust his post so that reflects more clearly.

Bollocks. I reckon I'm sitting this one out for the time being. I just can't dig this trend and I'd rather be playing my PS4 anyway.

Eh, I'll wait and see what GAFfers say.

Yes. Players who got the game early are saying the same thing. Shitty OP is shitty.

shandy706

deja vu.
so it's not as microtransactiony as F5.

The micro-transactions in Forza 5 are not necessary...and I'm guessing they aren't in GT6 either.

It was/is blown out of proportion in every Forza 5 thread, I suppose we might as well blow it out of proportion here too.

I'm sitting at over $4 million credits in Forza 5 now (AGAIN...I had around $5 million and spent down into the $3 million last weekend....I'm back over $4 million again this week)

I've never bought a "token" in Forza 5 and I'll never need one. No grinding here either, I only play an hour or two a day if I get a chance.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sticking with Wii U and PC this gen.

Nintendo not getting any 3rd party love is starting to make more sense now.

Or is micro-transactions a first party "exclusives" thing?

Why are we pretending Nintendo is somehow exempt from this?
Sonic LW: Preorder DLC, web socializing bonus (a wisp)
Fire Emblem: straight-up DLC
NSMB2: overpriced level DLC
Bravely Default FTS also has microtransactions, though it's not published by Nintendo, it's a Nintendo system exclusive.

All the poor practices are already there.

CREMSteve

Microtransactions suck.

But you can still unlock it the same as always, by playing the game.

So I don't see an issue here.

Buying the cars defeats the purpose of playing the game.

Top Bottom