• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

iLaIWZ4gWetg5.gif

ibhFkSN0TZHIrP.gif

Motoko

Yeah, I'm with you. I've grown quite attached to my wheel... And really don't want to kick myself if I ended up with a lessor "new" one... I like knowing I have the option to go PC, not be forced to jump platforms.

Agree... not to mention that I customise it a little.

Khronico

Made it to international A. I'm absolutely killing it in the races but just barely scraping by on the licenses. The NSX slalom challenge was the bane of my existence for a day or so.

Also it feels easier to make a good chunk of credits than in 5. Already nearing 2mil.

Mascot

The more I play GT6 them more I'm impressed by it. I just finished the International A GT World Championship and the racing has been nothing less than thrilling from start to finish. The new physics help a lot but the AI feels a lot more human now and puts up a real challenge, especially with aggressiveness dialled up to maximum. I've never had this visceral feeling with previous GTs.

The dusk two-lapper on the Nordschliefe that wrapped up the championship was incredible, so amazingly intense in 750 PP fire-breathing monsters. I love the way the headlights illuminate the trees and how light bounces off the armcos, cones and hoardings. It just looks beautiful.

Loving it.

Dead Man

Finally got a hold of the game. Hilariously bad game design, Fun driving. New physics are better, suspension tuning is still a crap shoot with PD getting values correct or even working (camber apparently had no effect until a recent update?).

The good. Not much other than the new driving physics. The updated standards look much better. The graphics are better, but other than the tearing being better (thank good!) I don't really care, I know that makes me a bit of a weirdo, but I just don't care that much about graphics. It looked fine, and still does, they should be spending manpower elsewhere.

The only other changes are either no improvement or for the worse. There is not a lot of improvement here, only changes.

The bad. All been said before by others, but holy shit. Terrible race design, terrible AI (braking when they shouldn't when you are passing them, shithouse corner speed) , feels like they still have a different set of impact physics to the player but I haven't had much time with it yet. Can't select individual friends ghosts to show as blue lines, can't change a lot of options unless you go to the main option screen, buying parts outside a race is an exercise in frustration, inconsistent menu navigation (usually o places the cursor over the exit button, except at the end of a license test). Can't turn off the auto replay. Can't disable aids on some of the license tests. An even more useless garage system than before with not nearly enough sorting options, an utter lack of ability to change the control mapping mid race, just more and more stupid little shit that shouldn't be in there at all by the 6th iteration of a very simple fucking game design.

Can't choose your fucking starting car. What in the fuck?! I have no idea why PD hate options so much

The race design is still a glorified time trial with moving chicanes, nothing like an actual race, or god forbid, a whole race weekend. There's only so many times I can chase a rabbit at the Rome track :/

Only played it for a few hours so far, I'll keep going and see if it improves. Haven't done any online MP either yet, but it's not really my thing.

All in all, really glad it wasn't my money.

*dons flame suit*

Juicy Bob

Finally got a hold of the game. Hilariously bad game design, Fun driving. New physics are better, suspension tuning is still a crap shoot with PD getting values correct or even working (camber apparently had no effect until a recent update?).

The good. Not much other than the new driving physics. The updated standards look much better. The graphics are better, but other than the tearing being better (thank good!) I don't really care, I know that makes me a bit of a weirdo, but I just don't care that much about graphics. It looked fine, and still does, they should be spending manpower elsewhere.

The only other changes are either no improvement or for the worse. There is not a lot of improvement here, only changes.

The bad. All been said before by others, but holy shit. Terrible race design, terrible AI (braking when they shouldn't when you are passing them, shithouse corner speed) , feels like they still have a different set of impact physics to the player but I haven't had much time with it yet. Can't select individual friends ghosts to show as blue lines, can't change a lot of options unless you go to the main option screen, buying parts outside a race is an exercise in frustration, inconsistent menu navigation (usually o places the cursor over the exit button, except at the end of a license test). Can't turn off the auto replay. Can't disable aids on some of the license tests. An even more useless garage system than before with not nearly enough sorting options, an utter lack of ability to change the control mapping mid race, just more and more stupid little shit that shouldn't be in there at all by the 6th iteration of a very simple fucking game design.

Can't choose your fucking starting car. What in the fuck?! I have no idea why PD hate options so much

The race design is still a glorified time trial with moving chicanes, nothing like an actual race, or god forbid, a whole race weekend. There's only so many times I can chase a rabbit at the Rome track :/

Only played it for a few hours so far, I'll keep going and see if it improves. Haven't done any online MP either yet, but it's not really my thing.

All in all, really glad it wasn't my money.

*dons flame suit*
Well, thanks for re-affirming my decision not to dip in to this.

Dead Man

So, new annoyance, you still have to designate a car as a favourite before using it in arcade mode. Why? Especially when there is not a full list of cars available as what they are calling courtesy cars.

The new physics though are pretty fucking awesome. Braking is improved (still a bit funny with a controller), and lateral grip is better while not being at the silly levels they had it in the early games. Track surfaces feel better too, much less dramatic understeer at Laguna Seca for example.

It's a great engine in search of a decent game to use it.

Well, thanks for re-affirming my decision not to dip in to this.
Yeah, unless you really want to try the new physics (which is actually really satisfying to drive) I would avoid.

You are missing out.
On what? The new model is amazingly satisfying, but everything else has been done before. The game is not even finished for pitys sake.

Mascot

On what? The new model is amazingly satisfying, but everything else has been done before. The game is not even finished for pitys sake.

On great physics and sublime feel with incredible FFB. Loads of content. Pretty nice visuals, too.
Oh, and some of the rubberbanded racing is pretty damn exciting, too.

Best £15 I've ever spent on a game. I'm happy.

MGR

On reflection, I wouldn't recommend GT6 to anybody that has already worn out GT5. It simply hasn't evolved in any significant way. In fact in many respects it's gone backwards.

No shuffle racing. No track editor. No community features. No B-spec. No speed/acceleration test. Still no matchmaking from Prologue. But even if they implemented all these deleted features in an update tomorrow, it would make f-all difference. The casual online community is dead and despite the new physics the hardcore community has been pushed away due to the abysmal online stability - which continues to be ignored by PD.

GT4 was launched in 2004 on PS2 - a full two years before the new Playstation 3 launched in 2006 and GT5 was prematurely born in 2010.
It took PD 6 years to make the jump from PS2 to PS3. (7 years if you include the Spec II Update which made it a reasonable game).
Now we have a game that released one month after the launch of the next gen console and 7 months later is still far from finished.

At this rate we'll be lucky to see a Gran Turismo game on the PS4.

IISANDERII

To qualify my statements above: I've never played GT5 or GT6 online.
You've missed out. GT5 was my most played game of the entire generation and GT6 was close too. Incredibly fun, exhilarating times were had online. Far from perfect but worth the trouble a thousand times over.

offshore

You've missed out. GT5 was my most played game of the entire generation and GT6 was close too. Incredibly fun, exhilarating times were had online. Far from perfect but worth the trouble a thousand times over.
I can agree with you on GT5; the amount of online races my crew did over three years was actually crazy. lol. And it certainly was far from perfect... took PD about a year to fix the black screen of death issues online. And that's why GT6 is such a huge disappointment. My friends aren't buying it and the ones that have are unimpressed. Like MGR says, online is seriously unstable and the shimmering is distracting as hell.

I suppose if you're a player, like Mascot, who may not play so much online, GT6 can certainly be worth £15... but for those like me who came from playing a ludicrous amount of GT5 online to GT6 online, it's nothing short of a serious regression.

Though looking forward though to what "Amazing July" has in store...

Motoko

I don't know man aside from Mansory most are of the good Italian cars tuning is done by German tuners like Hamman, Novitec Rosso, Edo competition and DMC

I mean... Simply they shouldn't do. Italians supercars are usually pieces of art on wheels as it leaves the factory imho.

Engine tuning is another thing, if it's made with criteria,well, why not...

EGOMON

I mean... Simply they shouldn't do. Italians supercars are usually pieces of art on wheels as it leaves the factory imho.

Engine tuning is another thing, if it's made with criteria,well, why not...

Ah yeah thats right but still sometime more awesomeness doesn't hurt :)

Is it possible to take the Premium '02 Viper GTS, apply shed-load of mods and create a reasonable facsimile of the Team Oreca GTS-R?

If so, what parts and settings would be used? I'm awful at this aspect of GT.

benzy

PD programmers at Isle of Man?

A “team of programmers from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe” are reportedly on the Isle of Man, studying the famous TT Race circuit which stretches over 37.73 miles across public roads on the island.

The report comes from Bike Sports News magazine, who claims a source from the Isle of Man’s tourism department informed them that Sony are considering the track for inclusion in Gran Turismo 7 on the PlayStation 4.

A “deal” has yet to be struck, however, which would indicate SCEE is in the very early stages of negotiating track licensing and the ultimate future of the track in GT7 is still uncertain.

http://www.gtplanet.net/rumor-isle-of-man-tt-course-considered-for-gran-turismo-7/

Technical programmers from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe are currently on the Isle of Man studying the Mountain Course to see if it can be included in the next edition of the game due out on PlayStation 4. A source inside the Isle of Man Tourism department told Bikesportnews.com today that if a deal can be struck, the 37.73-mile circuit could be included in Gran Turismo 7, which has yet to be given a release date. Gran Turismo currently includes the Nurburgring but the Mountain course would be by far and away their biggest mapping project. Other British tracks currently in GT6 are Brands Hatch and Silverstone while Bathhurst Mount Panoramo was also included. - See more at: http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-d...n-TT-Course&newsid=12470#sthash.s0Ti2Bhs.dpuf

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-d...s-studying-Isle-of-Man-TT-Course&newsid=12470

TTG

That's too big a resource burden to justify modelling it. We're talking about something ten times the length of Suzuka? Even if they had a bunch of new tracks ready and this was essentially a manageable thing to get in the game, how many people would bother learning it? Aside from the die hard fans, not many. I know I would leave the driving line on and half ass my way through whatever race/license had this as a requirement.

paskowitz

That's too big a resource burden to justify modelling it. We're talking about something ten times the length of Suzuka? Even if they had a bunch of new tracks ready and this was essentially a manageable thing to get in the game, how many people would bother learning it? Aside from the die hard fans, not many. I know I would leave the driving line on and half ass my way through whatever race/license had this as a requirement.

I could be used for various point to point circuits.

benzy

I'd drive the hell out of it just to take photomode pics :p

It's not out of the realm of possibility considering PD modeled all of Andalucia, Spain.

19dgbfga7dwywjpg.jpg

Anyway, more fuel to the rumor:

UPDATE: GTPlanet users who live on the Isle of Man are reporting that a Gran Turismo team was spotted at the airport. Police have also informed local residents that this service vehicle would be driven slowly around the circuit over the next two weeks by “Japanese technicians”.

"My brother saw some gt people get off at the airport being guided around by an American woman he said... would be nice as I'm from there!"

"I live on the Isle of Man, and we've been advised by the police that this vehicle will be traveling round the circuit at slow speeds driven by Japanese technicians for the next two weeks!"

10352147_10152153297047703_2701568856823989729_n.jpg

Volcane

Anyway, more fuel to the rumor:

"My brother saw some gt people get off at the airport being guided around by an American woman he said... would be nice as I'm from there!"

"I live on the Isle of Man, and we've been advised by the police that this vehicle will be traveling round the circuit at slow speeds driven by Japanese technicians for the next two weeks!"

Maybe Polyphony Digital saw Mark Higgins TT lap in his Subaru, and thought it would be great to recreate in GT7. As it was pretty awesome:-

Mark Higgins TT lap

robo

On the IOM working and it came on the radio news update this morning about the slow moving car.

I would assume they are using similar tech to Tom Tom vans who do the road mapping.

Been round the whole course now over the last few weeks, the mountain road is pretty grim when the weather closes in!

benzy

Here's a part from Kaz's documentary where they talk about creating the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM&t=20m26s

They have a quadcopter, a helicopter, and a hatchback similar to the one at Isle of Man with a laser scanner mounted on top. Right after the footage of the helicopter going slowly around the track, they show a program with the track model and trees/vegetation 3d wireframes start popping up. It seems like they laserscan the surroundings and landscape while on the helicopter too?

I've only watched it done before in the iRacing videos and seeing PD's car would have said it was capturing video and GPS data. Laser scan on the move must save a lot of time.

benzy

Looks like a Gaffer also has some connections to the recent events of PD at Isle of Man.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858076

This will be the first and last time me knowing a guy who works for the Isle of Man transport department pays off, but anyway; I received a text this morning from a good friend on the island, and apparently there's currently a team over there conducting initial photography and laser-scanning certain areas of the 38 mile long track for 'use in the upcoming PS4 Gran Turismo game'.

This is Bathurst all over again. Now all we need is a video or picture of PD and their laserscan equipment.

Top Bottom